Crystal Cruises Clientele Not Rich Enough For Harbour Island & Exumas?

Well, we have made our deposit even given sincere concerns about the viability of our plans. I'd love to see a pink sand beach but aside from that we will stay on the ship to enjoy the Crystal Cruises hospitality rather than facing potential hostility in ports. I am glad to know that a lot of you will risk it, have faith in the kindness of people and try to support the locals, but being on the first sailing I will leave that for others to explore. Really not interested in having rocks thrown at us or any of the other horrid things I've heard that others experienced. 

3 hours ago, So_Tweetie said:

Well, we have made our deposit even given sincere concerns about the viability of our plans. I'd love to see a pink sand beach but aside from that we will stay on the ship to enjoy the Crystal Cruises hospitality rather than facing potential hostility in ports. I am glad to know that a lot of you will risk it, have faith in the kindness of people and try to support the locals, but being on the first sailing I will leave that for others to explore. Really not interested in having rocks thrown at us or any of the other horrid things I've heard that others experienced. 

Congratulations on your booking. Crystal is very nice and I hope you enjoy it and become a fan. Please let us know your impressions after the cruise if you can.

Concerning the horrid experiences you mention, I am surprised! After more than 60 cruises all over the world, I have never experienced in the ports anything that would have made me uncomfortable. I have found the local people very friendly, communicative and helpful. In some places, like St Barts, people  are a little more cautious against cruisers but if you talk a little french, they will try their best to help you (by the way this experience is also similar in several French cities...).

The only bad experience I remember is from Miami. We took a taxi for a long ride and my husband had a cold. So he coughed while on the taxi.This was about 15 years ago, so no COVID around. The taxi driver without much hesitation stopped in the middle of no where and said he would not drive us anymore. So we were left there without any consideration! I was very annoyed. Only later, talking with my husband about it, we understood that the taxi driver was protecting his health, which was the most important thing for him. I guess he could not afford to get sick and not be able to work. He was very rude though...

Ivi

4 hours ago, So_Tweetie said:

I know anything is possible, but I really doubt this is going to be an issue.  I’ve sailed with Crystal (and plenty of other lines) to small islands around the world, including remote ones without taxis, tours or much infrastructure.  I’ve never had rocks thrown at me or been met with hostility.

Vince

I could be wrong, but I thought the rock throwing incident was an ocean and continent away...Africa, and not even the same line, as if that would make a difference. 

We've been to the Bahamas many times, even had our honeymoon there and never encountered any hostility or difficulty. I'm hoping that you'll at least try a couple of the islands. I think it's unfortunate that you're painting the Bahamas with such a broad brush....

2 hours ago, Mudhen said:

I could be wrong, but I thought the rock throwing incident was an ocean and continent away...Africa, and not even the same line, as if that would make a difference. 

We've been to the Bahamas many times, even had our honeymoon there and never encountered any hostility or difficulty. I'm hoping that you'll at least try a couple of the islands. I think it's unfortunate that you're painting the Bahamas with such a broad brush....

I am not painting the entire area with a broad brush, I have been to the Bahamas many times as well and made wonderful memories. These ports are different in that they are vocal about not wanting cruise passengers to visit. The only other place I've been to where that was the case was Venice - they had protesters in canoes with signs telling us to leave as our Princess ship entered the port. As we walked through town, residents called us 'stupid Americanas', delayed or refused service, etc. Pardon me for wanting to avoid that.

Oh no! Oh dear! I never, ever meant disrespect your wishes. If that's what you thought, I'm truely sorry.

It's your vacation and you should do exactly what you feel most comfortable doing. 

I guess we've been lucky and have never encountered protesters, been called names, etc. even tho we've been pretty much around the world. It's a shame that a few vocal Bahamian residents are being so negative, as to impact your trip. I'm wondering just how many out of their population are voicing discontent with Crystal's arrival. I guess we won't know till we get there....

Posted (edited)

Bahamian newspaper reports that Kevin Jones, a manager at Crystal Cruises, believes that islanders will not experience problems with Crystal’s cruisers, “What we’re finding is that everyone who comes to find out more about Crystal, comes to love us and comes to also agree with us that the tourists we have are really a match made in heaven.”  Negative comments still follow after the article.

Crystal Cruise Executive:  "Brighter Days Ahead"

Edited by Jim9310
40 minutes ago, Jim9310 said:

Mr Jones said: “Our Crystal Cruise passenger is an average age of 55 to 65 and an average net worth of over $1m, they have travelled to at least three different foreign destinations in the last year and they also own two to three vacation homes.”

Looks like we’ve moved on from Edie’s Top 1%

Not sure about 3 different foreign destinations in the last year though that would have been a challenge - perhaps they were all too busy visiting their 2-3 vacation homes 😂

43 minutes ago, Jim9310 said:

Bahamian newspaper reports that Kevin Jones, a manager at Crystal Cruises, believes that islanders will not experience problems with Crystal’s cruisers, “What we’re finding is that everyone who comes to find out more about Crystal, comes to love us and comes to also agree with us that the tourists we have are really a match made in heaven.”  Negative comments still follow after the article.

Thanks for posting Jim.

Hmmm. I understand the desire to argue that a luxury cruise has more genteel clientele, but overseas travel has been totally restricted in the past year (as everyone knows) and claiming we all have 2 to 3 vacation homes is just weird. 

40 minutes ago, Cruise-y said:

Thanks for posting Jim.

Hmmm. I understand the desire to argue that a luxury cruise has more genteel clientele, but overseas travel has been totally restricted in the past year (as everyone knows) and claiming we all have 2 to 3 vacation homes is just weird. 

Oh, I don't know. We have three "Vacation Homes"! Our house in Winter, the west-facing front porch in the Spring, and our backyard pool in the Summer and Fall. Doesn't everybody??😉

3 hours ago, crickette said:

If you count  Symphony and Serenity as your vacation home, we've got it made!

So I do have 3 homes!

Although we do not have 2-3 vacation homes and our average age is over 55-65, we have travelled to three foreign destinations in the past year ☺️ What a relief 😅 we almost did not qualify as Crystals clients 😉

I am not sure those arguments would impress me if I am afraid that „my paradise“ will change. I think it is important to take seriously the concerns of the Stakeholders in the Island and to show that Crystal clients are, independently of their wealth status, well travelled and respectful and will do no harm.

Ivi  

9 hours ago, Jim9310 said:

Thank you for sharing this.

I mentioned this earlier on this thread but some of the concerns are similar to ones which came up on Northwest Passage.  Crystal took several approached to mitigate these concerns with outreach to the local areas ahead of time, all of the planning which went into this and through education of the guests once we were on-board in the way we should conduct ourselves.  While most of us think we know lots about etiquette I think most guests learned something from that education.

Something very key which Kevin Jones is the tender process which I had expected anyway due to COVID-19.  Similar to Northwest Passage, I expect that each person who plans to go ashore will have specific time slots for the tender they will be assigned to.  This will minimize congestion on the stairwells and the landings and allow for orderly tender service.  It will also ensure guests do not swarm the island all at once.  

I do believe people are people no matter what cruise line they sail and no matter what their income is.  I suspect Crystal will provide some education on the ship which can come simply from a note in Reflections or a letter sent to each room with some suggestions.  For example, in NWP we were asked not to photograph anyone without asking first and if you pass homes not to walk on the property.  Seems very logical and shows good etiquette but even the most well intentioned person can forget by getting caught up in the moment.

And of course the other positive is not only the number of people on the sailing but several will likely not even get off the ship so with good planning, good education and just the mechanics of all of this hopefully it will be a nice experience for the guests but also the locals will have a much better impression.

Ivi, I agree with all you said in your last post.  In the end, it rests with the Crystal guests and I suspect in the end Crystal will make a positive impact with the locals.

Now as they say time will tell.

Keith

Their reluctance and concern is normal and IMHO perfectly understood.

15 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

Mr Jones said: “Our Crystal Cruise passenger is an average age of 55 to 65 and an average net worth of over $1m, they have travelled to at least three different foreign destinations in the last year and they also own two to three vacation homes.”

Looks like we’ve moved on from Edie’s Top 1%

Not sure about 3 different foreign destinations in the last year though that would have been a challenge - perhaps they were all too busy visiting their 2-3 vacation homes 😂

To allay any concerns, I'm here to report that we will be pulling the average down on all those counts.

On 3/27/2021 at 8:06 PM, So_Tweetie said:

I choose not to give my hard-earned money to people that look down on me as less-than. If they don't want me in port I will happily stay on the ship and took their commentary as offensive. I am happy to see some other perspectives here but it is absolutely not a waste of energy to pay attention to where you spend money.

Then in my opinion, you're being as judgmental as "they" are, whoever "they" might be.   You're judging a whole Island because someone, MAY have thought Crystal was going to dump 4000 people onto the Island they love the way it is and told a journalist. 

People fear anything new, and they assume the worst. And you're just jumping on the band wagon and doing the same thing, in my not very humble opinion.

People who are "afraid of the cruise people" will probably stay home and whine privately. Do you think they are going to go out and picket with signs saying "Tourists Go Home?"  

49 minutes ago, pnsnkr said:

To allay any concerns, I'm here to report that we will be pulling the average down on all those counts.

Me too. While my husband falls in the correct age range, I don't. But we are working stiffs. And while we both can and do work from any ship we're on, we can't work as well, so we can't take back to back (to back etc.) cruises, or even long ones. We travel mostly within the US or nearby  for multiple reasons, not the least of which is the expense and time it takes to go anywhere else.  We have no vacation home, although where we live is where we want to spend most of our time, so why would we need a vacation home?  But when we vacation we like to do it someplace with comfort and luxury and hopefully nice people.  

I don’t think we will be pulling the average down, but rather pulling it apart.  We are both above the age range, have only one home.  It might be considered a vacation home, as since we are both retired, we are on permanent vacation.  EM

Here's a breezy article that shows how well the Bahamas in general have done containing the spread of coronavirus. It highlights the Baha Mar which is the Crystal hotel in Nassau. I would expect they are loathe to hand a welcome to larger groups if it might be a risk factor for their exposure to spread of the pandemic virus(es), because it might devastate their tourism economy.

https://nypost.com/2021/04/15/vacationing-in-the-bahamas-amid-covid-is-a-dream-come-true/

On 4/12/2021 at 11:40 PM, So_Tweetie said:

Crystal has worked closely with the Bahamian government, which is thrilled to have us visit. Everyone who has a tourist oriented business should be thrilled to have tourists come back. And I'm sure the government is going to do a good sales pitch on how important these cruises are to the Bahamian economy. 

I totally get people who live on remote islands that normally don't get cruise ships. I believe some of the islands have populations smaller that the average cruise ship - so while it is unlikely to happen, they probably anticipate being overrun.  

And for what it's worth we will NOT be the first ships there. Royal Caribbean and I think one of the other lines are starting Bahamas cruises in June. 

However, it's a vacation. Do what makes you comfortable.  For our last several years of cruising we've not gotten off the ship just because we prefer to relax and enjoy the ship when it's half empty, so I hope very few people follow your lead. But if a lot of people stay on board, then I'm getting off the ship to just buy something at every port and thank the people there for welcoming us. 

On 4/14/2021 at 6:13 PM, Jim9310 said:

Negative comments still follow after the article.

Love the latest one (this is just part of it):

"Nobody of any means wants to cruise and be told when to eat, when they can get off the boat."

8 minutes ago, MisterBill99 said:

Love the latest one (this is just part of it):

"Nobody of any means wants to cruise and be told when to eat, when they can get off the boat."

I hate reading comments on articles, but sometimes it’s just such a fascinating window into the privileged life that some people get to lead.  

If I ever say “reservations are for poor people,” please shoot me immediately.

Vince