Florida threatens to sue

Posted (edited)

It would take years to get to court.

But lawsuits aren't filed to go to trial, they're filed to get a settlement or get an injunction.

The CSO is based on now-faulty assumptions with no regard to the growing number of people who have immunity, either naturally or through vaccines. It's based on extremely outdated info out of China and unrepresentative data from a US military ship.

The whole tone of the CSO is that cruise ships are the epicenter of covid transmission, when we now know that's patently false.

The CSO acknowledges, but largely ignores the Healthy Sail Panel.

There's tons there for a lawyer to dissect to come up with a more than adequate suit against the CDC. States have sued federal government agencies (and won one way or another) on much more narrow scope issues.

Edited by smokeybandit
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

I don't think it really matters. California sued the Federal government 100 times in the past 4 years. Texas sued the previous administration 48 times. It is just garbage when states sue.  

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/01/politics/california-ag-xavier-becerra-sue-donald-trump/index.html

Nothing comes of it. I don't know whatever happens with all of these lawsuits, but no one cares. It is just an incredible waste of taxpayer money . :classic_rolleyes:

Edited by Coralc
  • Like 8

6 hours ago, Coralc said:

I don't think it really matters. California sued the Federal government 100 times in the past 4 years. Texas sued the previous administration 48 times. It is just garbage when states sue.  

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/01/politics/california-ag-xavier-becerra-sue-donald-trump/index.html

Nothing comes of it. I don't know whatever happens with all of these lawsuits, but no one cares. It is just an incredible waste of taxpayer money . :classic_rolleyes:

Based on the link, the lawsuits are quite successful. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

One working and one unemployed and disgraced. 😇

No doubt, one or both will find a job in the private sector 😇

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

Based on the link, the lawsuits are quite successful. 

🤔 Did you read it, I found nothing saying CA was successful to any degree 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, John&LaLa said:

An article within the article, re: California's first 50 lawsuits:

So far, the state has won favorable rulings, injunctions or settlements in 25 of its cases, while losing only three, according to a tally by Marquette University Professor Paul Nolette, who’s studied state lawsuits against the federal government. Twelve of those wins are being appealed by the Trump administration. The rest of the cases are still pending or were voluntarily dismissed by the state.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Also the elephant in the room so to speak as far as suing to get cruises restarted it that a Covid State of Emergency exists. The prevoius administration closed the ports due to the emergency and the current one has continued it. The CDC always refers to the State of Emergency and that is why the CDC director says other agencies involved. HHS which means the WH at the end of the day.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Who would hire the one in today’s Me Too and Cancel Culture. It would be suicide. 

I agree. But who knows in a few years time.....stranger things have happened.  I'm mean,  it's a real slim chance but....... anyway getting off topic and not wanting to play board games and all  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Also the elephant in the room so to speak as far as suing to get cruises restarted it that a Covid State of Emergency exists. The prevoius administration closed the ports due to the emergency and the current one has continued it. The CDC always refers to the State of Emergency and that is why the CDC director says other agencies involved. HHS which means the WH at the end of the day.

I don’t believe the current administration has any intention of removing the State of Emergency anytime soon. 

M8

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

CDC is part of HHS; I don't see any direct WH link.

Posted (edited)

It really depends on the merits of the case.  Many of the mentioned CA suits had strong merits and the administration was trying to force environmentally distructive projects so a few croneys could profit against 99% of the state citizen's desires and interests.  

In this case, it would help a lot if Florida didnt have rising Covid case numbers and could show cruising and travel would be safe and managed responsibly.  Great progress on vaccinations.  No so good on a lot of other stuff.  Opening up because 'we want to' is not good data to support a lawsuit.  Florida needs to make their case with facts and progress at eliminating Covid deaths.  I hope they can soon.

Would be interested in the merits and case for a suit.

*  Is Covid under control, so no more emergency?

* Has the industry demonstrated that they have a plan and actions have been taken to ensure cruise and work place safely for cruises, such as all staff, port workers are vaccinated, require passenger vaccinations, response plan if another Princess sick type ship happens?

If so, seems reasonable to push for opening up.  If not, we have not met the criteria, the administration has a stronger case to enforce a pause.  A summer restart seems very doable.

Right now I honestly dont feel Miami is a safe environment for travellers, though we are vaccinated, so might risk it.  Our highly dense county (which includes Oakland with many poor, homeless, etc) has 4.3 cases per 100k people per day, Florida as a whole has 23.1 and Miami 41.1 (and rising).  That is 10x the cases per 100k people to Oakland, which is no hot bed of caution.  Our sideshows, house parties, etc rival any other community.  State and local leadership that took the pandemic and prevention measures seriously made a difference.  I feel sad for every preventable case and the unnecessary community spread to other areas. Our city was one of the first infected, and to see rising cases, due to large chinese populations, took it seriously and did a much better job managing it, in my opinion.

Edited by Pizzasteve
  • Like 5