Why Adventure?

I'm just curious... what are your guesses as to why Royal chose Adventure as it's first ship back in business.

I look at all the choices for these first sailings:  Adventure, Vision, Jewel, Celebrity Millennium.... Grandeur (kinda sorta counts) and I'm just really curious as to the reason to pick these.

I can assume concern about having enough passengers to operate an Oasis class....  perhaps they're not wanting to sully the name of the newer ships if something were to go wrong?

I'd love to hear you thoughts.

Could be a challenge to properly staff an Oasis class ship for all the entertainment and activities that take place on them. They may also have other plans for them and the smaller ships could even be on a trial run to stay in the new home ports beyond the current last-planned sailings from them.

Bermuda is a tiny island with perhaps not quite the infrastructure to support home-porting a large ship so I can see why they'd put the smallest class ship there.

3 minutes ago, dswallow said:

Bermuda is a tiny island with perhaps not quite the infrastructure to support home-porting a large ship so I can see why they'd put the smallest class ship there.

I agree maybe oasis just too large to port there, smaller is easier ... but isnt adventure out of nassau bahamas, not Bermuda? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dswallow said:

Could be a challenge to properly staff an Oasis class ship for all the entertainment and activities that take place on them. They may also have other plans for them and the smaller ships could even be on a trial run to stay in the new home ports beyond the current last-planned sailings from them.

Adventure is smallest class?

10 minutes ago, RCCL Fan said:

I'm just curious... what are your guesses as to why Royal chose Adventure as it's first ship back in business.

I look at all the choices for these first sailings:  Adventure, Vision, Jewel, Celebrity Millennium.... Grandeur (kinda sorta counts) and I'm just really curious as to the reason to pick these.

I can assume concern about having enough passengers to operate an Oasis class....  perhaps they're not wanting to sully the name of the newer ships if something were to go wrong?

Actually they are sailing other ships in other parts of the world right now.

I have no clue.  But I do think Adventure is a lovely ship. I like dswallow's thoughts about staffing a smaller ship.  It will be a challenge to get the crew vaccinated, proper paper work, medicals, etc.  A smaller ship will be easier to do.  Katherine

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, RCCL Fan said:

Adventure had been a recent redeployment from the Baltic’s to doing short cruises out of Barcelona.  Royal most likely recognized that there was not a hope of her sailing this year from BCN and that coupled with fewer people booked on those sailings that would need to be displaced would have been a couple of factors.  They are still hoping Caribbean sailings start this year so why would they move a ship that is already sailing the Caribbean with bookings to a new itinerary.

all of these ships are ships that either did not have itineraries planned or itineraries that the cruise line knew were not going to sail.  

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, sandebeach said:

Adventure is actually a nice mid-size ship, we sailed her last year. Not amped like Navigator or Mariner, but still a nice ship. I think it is a good choice for the Caribbean.

Adventure is a nice ship! We were on her next to the last sailing last year. Mid week we started hearing disturbing news about Covid. The passengers got serious about washy, washy and sanitizing their hands. The ship stepped up sanitizing to double time. 

• Like 1

I think some ships are earmarked for elsewhere - Lots of rumours about harmony going to be deployed to the UK for a summer season and I wouldn't be surprised that there are other plans afoot to restart more ships in Europe as things improve , especially in Eastern and southern Europe.

Also someone made a very good point that staffing an oasis class ship is much more of a challenge than the smaller classes.

The ships that don't have year round home ports are most likely to be used for such experimental / Trial cruise itinararies from random ports. Hence, this is the reason we saw Adventure chosen for the Bahamas for instance. Same can apply to Harmony, it will anyway be in Europe this season for it's dry dock, hence if the only way for her to be able to set sail during the summer will be Southampton they will move her there.

For the ships like Mariner, Navigator, Allure, Oasis and Symphony that have a year round home port serving the Florida market, RCL is waiting to have these ships launched as soon as possible from it's original home ports. Once the CDC will give the green light you will not see all of these ships launch simultaniously, but step by step one after the other which can be weeks or months of course.

We were on the Adventure and found it fair at best.  We sail in a suite and the perks on the Adventure are sub par.  Missing many of the bells and whistles, suite deck, restaurant and real lounge.  Has a makeshift lounge for suite guests.  Cabins need updating.

1 hour ago, Cruise a holic said:

We were on the Adventure and found it fair at best.  We sail in a suite and the perks on the Adventure are sub par.  Missing many of the bells and whistles, suite deck, restaurant and real lounge.  Has a makeshift lounge for suite guests.  Cabins need updating.

Have you been on Adventure since it got a new suite lounge in 2016?

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Have you been on Adventure since it got a new suite lounge in 2016?

Yes.  It was a makeshift area , seemed like an area that was for another purpose, with a portable bar. Nothing like oasis class. The ship also had outdoor seating for suite guests in full sun in a theater type rows.  Had breakfast in the specialty italian restaurant.  Was very disappointing 

Edited by Cruise a holic

3 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

It was part of the old DL and they slapped an SL sign on the outside.

It was never part of the old DL. the DL has always been in the starboard side of the crown. They took the old card and game room in the port side of the crown and created the SL. It looked quite nice to me.

• Like 1