Jump to content

When (if) cruising returns to normal where would you go first?


Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I would double check that; I think it is just in August. And the Fringe festival is also in Edinburgh in August (at least it was pre-Covid).

Edinburgh was wonderful. But the ship sent us from Glasgow by bus. We had great seats. Need to book the excursion as soon as they come out. Great antique jewelry stores on the Royal mile. You are probably right about the military Tattoo being just August. I might be confusing it with the Palio in Senia( also an amazing experience. )

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, we were supposed to be on a South America/Antarctica cruise on the Coral right now.  As much as we were looking forward to that adventure I’m not sure if we’re comfortable taking a 31 day cruise in the future.  When the pandemic began last March we followed the Coral closely because that was the cruise that we were signed up for in March 2021.  Well, last year on the Coral everything was fine until it wasn’t and then they were denied entry in ports of call and at least one passenger passed away from Covid.  Eventually we would like to experience a Mediterranean cruise once things improve in Europe.  We’ve sailed in the Caribbean quite a bit and are more interested in seeing new places.  As others have mentioned, our biological clocks are ticking so we are more interested in broadening our travel experiences.  Our very first priority will be to take more land tours with Rick Steves.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/28/2021 at 3:24 PM, Loreni said:

I understand that cruising may never return to normal, but assuming it does, where would you go first:

 

1) return to your favorite cruise itinerary, 

Absolutely.. from our home port... bags are packed......   I am dreaming

 

Where would i go first ??  well princess...  could homeport out of our usual port.....  what ship... no idea.. was the golden... then was the sapphire... now looking like the grand...... probably whatever ship nobody else wants  ...   Itentaries ... then had some great ones on offer for oct-dec 2020...

the only ones i have seen are same old one.....

 

Would like something 13+ nights (could be B2B) from homeport... going where ever ......   adn not over the top pricing....

 

So where would i go....?  anyway...

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Treasure Hunter said:

Edinburgh was wonderful. But the ship sent us from Glasgow by bus. We had great seats. Need to book the excursion as soon as they come out. Great antique jewelry stores on the Royal mile. You are probably right about the military Tattoo being just August. I might be confusing it with the Palio in Senia( also an amazing experience. )

Our Princess ship had us in Forsyth. We bought our own tickets to the Tattoo. We had to take the train to Edinburgh. We bought roundtrip tickets, but unfortunately the train was no longer running by the time we got to the station from the Tattoo and had to take a cab back to the ship. The cruise was from the very small former Ocean Princess.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

Our Princess ship had us in Forsyth. We bought our own tickets to the Tattoo. We had to take the train to Edinburgh. We bought roundtrip tickets, but unfortunately the train was no longer running by the time we got to the station from the Tattoo and had to take a cab back to the ship. The cruise was from the very small former Ocean Princess.

You are very brave. I would have freaked out. We always take ship’s excursions unless we are just walking around a Caribbean port that we have been to many times. We have been all over the world with Princess . We don’t want to worry about missing the ship. Let us hope that we can all do it again by next year. Tick Tock....

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, mevs904 said:

Well, we were supposed to be on a South America/Antarctica cruise on the Coral right now.  As much as we were looking forward to that adventure I’m not sure if we’re comfortable taking a 31 day cruise in the future.  When the pandemic began last March we followed the Coral closely because that was the cruise that we were signed up for in March 2021.  Well, last year on the Coral everything was fine until it wasn’t and then they were denied entry in ports of call and at least one passenger passed away from Covid.  Eventually we would like to experience a Mediterranean cruise once things improve in Europe.  We’ve sailed in the Caribbean quite a bit and are more interested in seeing new places.  As others have mentioned, our biological clocks are ticking so we are more interested in broadening our travel experiences.  Our very first priority will be to take more land tours with Rick Steves.

I love the Rick Steves shows on our PBS channel but when I looked into the tours they just weren’t for us. Because they stay at small hotels that don’t always have elevators and you have to carry your own luggage. I think we missed the boat ( haha) age wise. We’ll stick to Tauck. But I envy you because he often goes to out of the way places.the closest we got to that feel is the Puglia part of Italy Tauck tour because we stayed in farmhouse Inns. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It really doesn't matter.  There is always something new to experience even though we have been to most areas many times.  We do look for itineraries that include a port or two that might be new to a Princess port of call which is true of our November 2021 Island Princess voyage from Rome to Fort Lauderdale.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I would double check that; I think it is just in August. And the Fringe festival is also in Edinburgh in August (at least it was pre-Covid).

I checked. The dates for 2022 are mid August. You get a gold star!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I will stick to my favorite.  Cruise the Caribbean.  I want to see how things go, before I go for a bucket list cruise.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

If cruises return to normal this year I will happily go back to the Caribbean for some sunshine and island vibes. I would like to do a Greek island cruise in the nearish future but that will require more time off work for logistics and time to visit family in Switzerland (hope they open up soon!). I lived on Crete for a year but would love to go back and see the other islands. It was a wonderful experience living there.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We are booked for Nov. 2021 Panama Canal. It was on our bucket list. I have the same cruise booked for March 2022, just in case Princess cancels the November cruise. 

 


 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Treasure Hunter said:

You are very brave. I would have freaked out. We always take ship’s excursions unless we are just walking around a Caribbean port that we have been to many times. We have been all over the world with Princess . We don’t want to worry about missing the ship. Let us hope that we can all do it again by next year. Tick Tock....

We really could not have missed the ship since it was an overnight stay.

 

Going on our own also allowed us to see a lot of the Fringe Festival, go to the museums that my art teacher DW wanted to see, and eat at the restaurant we had discovered the last time we were in Scotland.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1st cruise for us after cruising resumes will be to So. Caribbean in Nov., 2021 with some familiar ports & a couple of new ones...feeling more comfortable leaving from FLL as we live on the East Coast.

 

Now for the NEXT cruise---to Alaska...3rd time's the charm in 2022 after cancellations for 2020 & 2021!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

We really could not have missed the ship since it was an overnight stay.

 

Going on our own also allowed us to see a lot of the Fringe Festival, go to the museums that my art teacher DW wanted to see, and eat at the restaurant we had discovered the last time we were in Scotland.

Yes an overnight stay is great. It wasn’t our first time in Edinburgh. The first time was 1971 on a driving trip from London with friends. We spent a month doing a figure 8 through England and Scotland looking at antiques, driving over hump back bridges and learning roundabouts.  I bought a huge Minton bowl that I carried home on my lap on the plane. But that was a long time ago and we look for stress free travel now. But I’m glad you had a great time.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If I could go on my bucket list I would do Italy and Greece. It was canceled because of the pandemic. Since I can't get around as good we are doing an Alaskan Cruise Tour  May 2022

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

Absolutely.. from our home port... bags are packed......   I am dreaming

 

Where would i go first ??  well princess...  could homeport out of our usual port.....  what ship... no idea.. was the golden... then was the sapphire... now looking like the grand...... probably whatever ship nobody else wants  ...   Itentaries ... then had some great ones on offer for oct-dec 2020...

the only ones i have seen are same old one.....

 

Would like something 13+ nights (could be B2B) from homeport... going where ever ......   adn not over the top pricing....

 

So where would i go....?  anyway...

 

We're booked out of Melbourne for January 2022. Hopefully we (and maybe you) can sail then.

Link to post
Share on other sites

For us, it is NOT "when and if"...it is "IT IS"...

After moving several 2020 and early 2021 cruises around, we remain with FOUR current bookings, the earliest of which we now have confirmation from the cruise line WILL happen (despite negativity and pessimism from various posters on Cruise Critic)...

 

We ARE going on the following:

1)  July 31 Celebrity Apex...out of Athens to Santorini, Rhodes, Haifa and Ashdod...This one was just rescheduled and affirmed by Celebrity.

2)  October 30 Majestic Princess to the Mexican Riviera (I fully expect by late October this one to be a "go")

3)  March 27, 2022 Celebrity Solstice to Japan--14 nights

 

The fourth booking we have is on July 19 on Celebrity Infinity, Rome to Venice...and i sort of expect that one to be canceled--and we're waiting on re-booking options...hopefully they will let us "back-to-back on the July 24 Apex to the Greek Islands and Cyprus...but, for now, it's wait and see...

 

The fifth in our plans would be a Princess one-way sailing from Vancouver to LA--but that requires Canada to start allowing cruise ships once again...

Link to post
Share on other sites

We were hoping to do Alaska again this year (tried 3 times) but obviously that will not be happening.

 

Our second choice is Hawaii and we are booked April 2022.  We figure by then life on a cruise ship should be somewhat normal.

 

I hope to book another near the fall but its a wait and see.

 

We do have another cruise in January 2023 but on NCL (this will be our first time trying this line).

Link to post
Share on other sites

Three years ago I booked an Alaskan cruise as a surprise to my new wife for May 2020. As we all know but her this was cancelled. Tried again for May 2021. Again no luck and cancelled. We are now booked for May 2022. I hope the 3rd time is a charm. It's killing me to keep this secret for all these years!☹️

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, bumorgan said:

Three years ago I booked an Alaskan cruise as a surprise to my new wife for May 2020. As we all know but her this was cancelled. Tried again for May 2021. Again no luck and cancelled. We are now booked for May 2022. I hope the 3rd time is a charm. It's killing me to keep this secret for all these years!☹️

If she reads these boards, your secret is no longer a secret.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Years !!! I have trouble 'keeping a secret' about cruising for days , maybe hours, from my wife.

 

I surprised her once with flowers on board ... that I booked a couple of weeks before - that's it

 

she has too much enjoyment from looking forward and planning , and I would never deny her that pleasure

 

but, hey, if it works for you ...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with Barbara Muckermann, CMO Silversea Cruises
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team: New Ship Ultramarine
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...