Are CVI about to start up with Amy Johnson?

Hi all, I just saw a most interesting article on Cruise Industry News (link attached) which says the ship that was to become CMV’s Amy Johnson has been sold to a new line about to start up later this year. The history is documented in the link and it does say that when CMV closed down the ship was originally sold, and then re-sold for scrap, before being “arrested“ in Panama.

Anyway the bottom line is that it appears to have now been sold again and is to be used by a cruise line start-up.

It did get me wondering whether the proposed new cruise line CVI which was going to be set out by the former CEO of CMV, Christian Verhounig (who bought a lot of CMV assets) is now going to start up the new line.

It does seem a bit of a coincidence that the ship involved is one that was heading to CMV this year. Or it could all be a complete red herring!

Interesting though.

Kind regards. Peter

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/24650-former-bitcoin-cruise-ship-sold-to-new-startup.html

• Thanks 1

Please see further link below which seems to suggest it will indeed be CVI (or essentially CMV by another name.)

Interestingly, the author (much respected Malcolm Oliver) asks the question “Would you trust Mr Verhounig with your holiday again?”.

That’s a big NO from me, although if he pays CMV’s debts to all the suppliers etc who lost out when they shut down before starting again I may rethink.

I won’t be holding my breath.

https://malcolmoliver.wordpress.com/

• Like 1

Whilst I fully understand your reticence, I would welcome a CVI start-up with this vessel. Since the demise of CMV, there are so few mid-size ships sailing at affordable prices, especially for solo pax.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Britboys said:

Whilst I fully understand your reticence, I would welcome a CVI start-up with this vessel. Since the demise of CMV, there are so few mid-size ships sailing at affordable prices, especially for solo pax.

Definitely - was my goto line for quick last minute wander - and usually met some interesting people an had a lovely time - even in February going to Iceland - everyone thought we were nuts but it was a fun cruise with sunshine in Kirkwall of all places

• Like 1

Likewise Britboys, I agree entirely with your point about midsized ships - also with esa-aardvark about Covid (although CMV needed mega loans before Covid to keep going, so their business was in trouble earlier).

I had no actual gripe with CMV having enjoyed an excellent cruise on Astoria and, indeed, being booked on Amy Johnson for this year.

The issue that I have, now, however is IF Mr Verhounig has the funds to start up a new cruise line and buy (charter?) a ship that he should first pay the companies who lost out when CMV went bust.

Us passengers were the “lucky” ones with ABTA protection and got our money back. Many other creditors got nothing.

I honestly feel there is a morality issue when the same person whose business went under starts an identical business again, without repaying old debts.

How would CMV’s creditors feel?

How would us passengers feel if we had not been refunded?

(I repeat again no one seems 100% certain this is the case here but if it is Mr V then that is my view, others may disagree which is fair enough.

Kind regards Peter

• Like 1

18 hours ago, PrincessPete said:

Likewise Britboys, I agree entirely with your point about midsized ships - also with esa-aardvark about Covid (although CMV needed mega loans before Covid to keep going, so their business was in trouble earlier).

I had no actual gripe with CMV having enjoyed an excellent cruise on Astoria and, indeed, being booked on Amy Johnson for this year.

The issue that I have, now, however is IF Mr Verhounig has the funds to start up a new cruise line and buy (charter?) a ship that he should first pay the companies who lost out when CMV went bust.

Us passengers were the “lucky” ones with ABTA protection and got our money back. Many other creditors got nothing.

I honestly feel there is a morality issue when the same person whose business went under starts an identical business again, without repaying old debts.

How would CMV’s creditors feel?

How would us passengers feel if we had not been refunded?

(I repeat again no one seems 100% certain this is the case here but if it is Mr V then that is my view, others may disagree which is fair enough.

Kind regards Peter

Yes, I understand your view Peter and don't entirely disagree with it. Sadly, it seems to be quite a common approach these days in businesses both large and small...

• 1 month later...