Let’s tell Carnival to look for additional non US Port Options to restart Cruising

Oldsweets

6 minutes ago, joeyancho said:

One factor that needs discussion is the subject of provisioning the ships.  Do Nassau and the Bahamas have the infrastructure to supply the ships?  At what price?  US ports are at large cities that can easily supply the ships at reasonable prices.  We have all seen the list of goods that every cruise needs.  The islands would have to import the needed supplies,  which makes it pricey.  And would the supply chain be  reliable?   This may be why Carnival is reluctant to start up in foreign ports.  

I agree costs and profitability are king here. That’s what has been driving the Corp behavior and responses .

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bitemyfly said:

I agree costs and profitability are king here. That’s what has been driving the Corp behavior and responses .

To me it would cost more to keep running the ships empty than to run a barely profitable or not quite profitable cruise. Mitigation of costs.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

To me it would cost more to keep running the ships empty than to run a barely profitable or not quite profitable cruise. Mitigation of costs.

I agree if it’s for the long haul , but for 3or so months perhaps not.. if by trying lobby  gov agency to look at it differently.

CCl  behavior has been not to spend a lot of time and money trying to conform , they have been waiting for a clear picture on where the vaccination leads them  they are now trying to prod the cdc.. 

3 hours ago, dbrucern said:

He is referring to Holland America

As BlerkOne said...Donald was not specific.  If he was talking about Carnival Corporation, then he could have meant HA, or Cunard or Seabourn, all lines primarily with seniors.  But if he was just talking about CCL, it would be ridiculous to have a policy that would only apply to a small percentage of cruises.  He was too vague with his statement and the majority of his competition are coming out with adult vaccinated cruises (Royal, Celebrity, Princess, P&O), and NCL has announced 100% vaccinated cruises, which eliminates kids. 

1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

That isn't what he said.

Correct!

I am no business genius, and I am not a Carnival cheerleader (don't have the legs for it), but I think that Carnival is trying to stay with its core business.

First, it is expensive to move to a new home port.  I was reading about the infrastructure required to handle thousands of people at embarkation and debarkation that these Caribbean islands would need that don't currently exist.  And, as others have mentioned, creating new (and probably more expensive) supply lines.  There will be a need to expand air services as almost all cruise passengers will be flying in.  Of course, there is the issue of available hotel rooms and restaurants for thousands of new tourists who fly in for a few days before and stay a few days after a cruise.  Etc.  Some islands already serve as home ports, but probably not many are prepared for additional ships.

I would guess that some of these other lines are seeing this as an investment, with an eye to making it permanent if it is successful.  Otherwise, doesn't seem to be a smart move to spend all that money when you plan on moving back stateside within three months to a year.

Carnival has long said its target market likes to drive to its port of embarkation.  Sure, many do fly, and even come from other countries, but that isn't their target.

After saying all that, Cruise Critic posted a news story today that the CDC is open to the possibility that cruises may resume mid-summer.  There is a mention that Carnival Pres. Duffy has threatened that some of their ships might home-port from the Caribbean or Bahamas if the CDC continues to stall.  Would like to have read her full statement.

If there are any responses to this, all I ask is that you be gentle with me.

• Like 2

On 4/4/2021 at 10:55 AM, ledges1 said:

I wonder if the infrastructure is in place in the islands such as the Bahamas, St Maarten to support a large number of ships sailing from their locations. The cost of putting in those supply lines with the volume of product required will be expensive. I could see Mexico having the infrastructure, but the legal work and contracts will take a lot of time. May be easier to wait it out for most cruise lines.

Agree.  It would be more expensive to provision a ship on an island than from a similar port on land.  Cancun would be less expensive than Cozumel, for instance, but Cancun's hotel industry does not want a homeport.  Maybe start in Cozumel, but load up in Progresso?

CNBC had an interview with Carnival Corp. CEO Arnold Donald this evening.  I always think it's good to hear from him.  The one notable thing I found was that he implied that they weren't super serious about an imminent move to foreign home ports with CCL, but it could happen.  Otherwise he said what they've been saying for the past week or so.  See for yourself:

Why not shorten all cruises by one day and sail and empty ship to the nearest USA  port to replenish. Surely, cargo ships are being loaded and unloaded without anyone stepping on shore.  Most of the boarding process can be done electronically with Pass Ports being checked at boarding. Can be done for a short term. My toughts.

• Like 1

On 4/4/2021 at 12:45 PM, d9704011 said:

Cruising is much different.

If thousands of people are allowed to go to resorts in mexico, do everything they they would do on a ship, then return within 72 hours of a negative covid test, there’s no reason why we shouldn’t be able to do the same with cruise ships. At this point they could even require everyone to be vaccinated as some of the cruise lines are doing in foreign ports. They aren’t requiring that for resort travel.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

If thousands of people are allowed to go to resorts in mexico, do everything they they would do on a ship, then return within 72 hours of a negative covid test, there’s no reason why we shouldn’t be able to do the same with cruise ships. At this point they could even require everyone to be vaccinated as some of the cruise lines are doing in foreign ports. They aren’t requiring that for resort travel.

You’re certainly entitled to your opinion and the explanation/rationalization you choose to support it.  I don’t share it as you’ve probably concluded and likely won’t for a few months at least.

3 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

You’re certainly entitled to your opinion and the explanation/rationalization you choose to support it.  I don’t share it as you’ve probably concluded and likely won’t for a few months at least.

Don’t get why it should even matter to you.

1 hour ago, d9704011 said:

Btw it takes a few months to set before ships can start from any port. Crew, dance rehearsals, food to arrange etc. If you are for it in a few months they need to start now.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Btw it takes a few months to set before ships can start from any port. Crew, dance rehearsals, food to arrange etc. If you are for it in a few months they need to start now.

You’ve leveraged my words to support a call to ‘need to start now’.  Well done as that was definitely not something I had in mind when I posted, nor in context.

32 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

You’ve leveraged my words to support a call to ‘need to start now’.  Well done as that was definitely not something I had in mind when I posted, nor in context.

I agree. I've been saying I see a lot more push back to restarting cruising on the carnival boards. Other boards rcl especially people are much more eager to restart. But it does seem to be about a 3 month lag. Rcl last month announced june cruises, now its july cruises. 

34 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I agree. I've been saying I see a lot more push back to restarting cruising on the carnival boards. Other boards rcl especially people are much more eager to restart. But it does seem to be about a 3 month lag. Rcl last month announced june cruises, now its july cruises. 

That's not a Carnival poster. That's a COVID-19 poster.

4 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

That's not a Carnival poster. That's a COVID-19 poster.

Actually I was told I was judgemental against people who choose to not get passports. Somehow people knew a lot of carnival cruisers dont have passports so cant cruise from other Caribbean ports. I think also discrimination for saying if it was important to them they would get them. Just a few weeks ago the sentiment was very strongly against carnival moving off shore, though lately this past week or so the sentiment seems to be changing. I was ripped from one side to another over the passport issue. 

I wasnt judging any more than I am over the vaccine. Like it or not you may need both to cruise before nov 1st when the cso lifts, unless you are a child, then just a covid test to board. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

Actually I was told I was judgemental against people who choose to not get passports. Somehow people knew a lot of carnival cruisers dont have passports so cant cruise from other Caribbean ports. I think also discrimination for saying if it was important to them they would get them. Just a few weeks ago the sentiment was very strongly against carnival moving off shore, though lately this past week or so the sentiment seems to be changing. I was ripped from one side to another over the passport issue. 

I wasnt judging any more than I am over the vaccine. Like it or not you may need both to cruise before nov 1st when the cso lifts, unless you are a child, then just a covid test to board. 

It is a shame politics is involved. And it may come to that when people are on a cruise. There are people who have views on freedoms and liberty.  It is not just about say letting people into our nation. It may be trying to escape from it at some point.

The last time I checked I don't believe the Carnival Corporation invited any of us to their latest strategy session. I do believe that as with most organizations, there are dedicated staff that "cruise" this website hourly and report their findings to the "Beards". 

As you all know I am a Carnival Cruise Nut and have been for many years. They have yet to disappoint me and/or any other family members aboard ship. Our loyalty itself should be enough to "Totally" trust them to get it right. Let's see what the initial Cruise looks like and then we can all become "Real Cruise Critics". 

For now I will just remain a loyal Carnival Cruise Nut Aficionado. Please join the Nut Brigade and I will "Sea You On The Seas". 

7 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

The difference is the square footage of a resort versus a cruise ship.  At a resort, people can spread out further, making social distancing much easier.   People also arrive and depart at a resort every day of the week, as opposed to the same day embarkation and disembarkation of a cruise ship from the US.

8 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

The difference is the square footage of a resort versus a cruise ship.  At a resort, people can spread out further, making social distancing much easier.   People also arrive and depart at a resort every day of the week, as opposed to the same day embarkation and disembarkation of a cruise ship from the US.

Is that what the CDC is saying? You can go to a resort and come back but if you go on a cruise that originates overseas you can't come back? There allowing both really. Just not from the United States.  Why can't they allow a fully vaccinated half capacity ship sail from a US port?

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, firefly333 said:

If my memory is correct, Carnival choose to tow the Triumph to Mobile, AL after the fire because so many of the passengers were traveling on birth certificates. Cozumel was a closer alternative, but flying from Mexico on a birth certificate was a major problem. Yes, a lot of Carnival customers travel on birth certificates.

3 hours ago, ledges1 said:

If my memory is correct, Carnival choose to tow the Triumph to Mobile, AL after the fire because so many of the passengers were traveling on birth certificates. Cozumel was a closer alternative, but flying from Mexico on a birth certificate was a major problem. Yes, a lot of Carnival customers travel on birth certificates.

Carnival chose to tow the Triumph to Mobile, even though it was further because the Gulf Stream current runs in that direction, and the prevailing winds and seas were also in that direction, so it would take less time to travel the further distance, and also so there would be less chance of breaking the tow, which did happen a couple of times, even with towing with the weather.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1