Official - Virtuosa in UK

Couple-Somerset

Decided to bite the bullet and booked a balcony cabin on 4 night 8th June for £1410. Much higher price than I'd normally be happy with but these are strange times. It's our wedding anniversary on 6th so it will be a late celebration.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Couple-Somerset said:

...Alarmingly, I read that if just one person within your allocated bubble returns a positive swab test result then NONE of the people in that bubble can travel - even a total stranger could put a stop to your cruise before it starts.

We have a few weeks to research the preferred type of person to "hang around with" at check-in so you limit the chances of that test screwing things up lol

Eek, especially if you are fully vaccinated!

9 minutes ago, Couple-Somerset said:

You "should" be OK if there aren't loads joining the ship.

But they have said guests will be given a strict time to check-in and must stick to it, so there's a danger you could be allocated early afternoon etc

The process with Grandiosa has been that you have a swab test at the port and then have to sit and wait in allocated groups for up to 2 hours for the test result - that is in addition to showing a negative covid certificate or proof of a double-jab.

Alarmingly, I read that if just one person within your allocated bubble returns a positive swab test result then NONE of the people in that bubble can travel - even a total stranger could put a stop to your cruise before it starts.

We have a few weeks to research the preferred type of person to "hang around with" at check-in so you limit the chances of that test screwing things up lol

Just realised the allocated check in time. Didn't realise a swab test had to be done too in addition to our proof of 2 vaccinations.

17 minutes ago, Couple-Somerset said:

The process with Grandiosa has been that you have a swab test at the port and then have to sit and wait in allocated groups for up to 2 hours for the test result - that is in addition to showing a negative covid certificate or proof of a double-jab.

I asked this question while booking and was told if you have had both vaccine jabs a swab test was not required, she may of course have been expressing an opinion rather than fact but she did appear very sure about it.

2 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

I asked this question while booking and was told if you have had both vaccine jabs a swab test was not required, she may of course have been expressing an opinion rather than fact but she did appear very sure about it.

That may very well be the case - bear in mind my info is based on Grandiosa and the Italians are not at the same stage in double-jabbing that we are.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

Just been reading the MSC website and it says this

'However, as per our stringent MSC Health & Safety protocol, all guests both vaccinated and unvaccinated, will need to undergo some Health and COVID 19 screenings including a COVID 19 swab test, a health questionnaire and a contactless temperature check, before boarding the ship.'

It also says proof of vaccination needed so I don't know what they will want us to show for this.

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, kernow said:

Just been reading the MSC website and it says this

'However, as per our stringent MSC Health & Safety protocol, all guests both vaccinated and unvaccinated, will need to undergo some Health and COVID 19 screenings including a COVID 19 swab test, a health questionnaire and a contactless temperature check, before boarding the ship.'

It also says proof of vaccination needed so I don't know what they will want us to show for this.

Call centre staff always say anything to satisfy your question which is why I always record important calls, she might well have been telling me nonsense, as i said she did appear convincing though.

I did not ask about how you show proof of vaccine as I will have both by then, there is the card they give you and also the NHS app (not nhs covid app) shows your vaccine history, there might even be an app by then.

I appears obvious for them to make it an optional add-on to the current covid app, that way more people might actually use the app!

I also asked about the insurance as we have HSBC insurance that covers for covid medical care even if you travel against government advice, it does however not cover for cancellation if you book in lockdown (I just did..... oops).
She could not give any insurance advice, she just read the script we had in the email, she said to wait for updates on the insurance requirements.

I still think she may have given correct information for testing, it would be mad to make people who have had two shots of vaccine to take a covid test even is there is a tiny chance they can still be a carrier and transmit it.

Mind you I have a pile of swab tests here from when I was on the AstraZeneca trial, might have to send a couple of free ones off 😆 then sweat if I get back in time 😂

When I was doing a weekly one they would be anything from 24hr to 4 days but much more reliable since Christmas.

Edited by ziggyuk

2 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

the NHS app (not nhs covid app) shows your vaccine history, there might even be an app by then. I appears obvious for them to make it an add-on to the covid app, that way more people will actually use the app!

HaHa - my 83 year old mom will soon put you right lol

"Pensioners aren't all using this fancy technical rubbish and new fangled phones you know"

Bless her, she carries a notebook with her and when she wants to call someone, she gets their number from her notebook and slowly enters it into her phone.

Texts? apps? internet? - no chance !!

She only got a bank card last year because shops refused to accept cash - and let me tell you, she was not happy about that lol

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Couple-Somerset said:

HaHa - my 83 year old mom will soon put you right lol

"Pensioners aren't all using this fancy technical rubbish and new fangled phones you know"

Bless her, she carries a notebook with her and when she wants to call someone, she gets their number from her notebook and slowly enters it into her phone.

Texts? apps? internet? - no chance !!

She only got a bank card last year because shops refused to accept cash - and let me tell you, she was not happy about that lol

My neighbour wont touch technology, I help him by doing all his gas, electric, car & house insurance as well as his monthly steam train information, costs me a fortune in paper and ink 😂

Then you have my mum in her 70s doing everything online, even her shopping.

You made me laugh with the bank card, before he passed my dad used a cashpoint card for the first time, he could not see the screen and says he asked the person behind him to enter his pin and withdraw his money 😱

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Real shame the pricing is so out of sync with normal fares. £3400 for 4 nights in YC is crazy. Makes my other summer booking with Princess look really good value. Doing my best not to give in and book. New projector for home cinema room or cruise? What a first world problem!

Edited by philsuarez
  • Like 1

Received this email from MSC when I asked earlier about what tests were needed.

"Should you be non-vaccinated or only have had one vaccination, you will need to take an RT-PCR or antigen swab test within 72 hours prior to the ship’s departure. The test results certificate must be printed in two copies and presented at the terminal in order to embark on the ship."

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kernow said:

Decided to bite the bullet and booked a balcony cabin on 4 night 8th June for £1410. Much higher price than I'd normally be happy with but these are strange times. It's our wedding anniversary on 6th so it will be a late celebration.

See you on board!!!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, LifeonMars said:

Received this email from MSC when I asked earlier about what tests were needed.

"Should you be non-vaccinated or only have had one vaccination, you will need to take an RT-PCR or antigen swab test within 72 hours prior to the ship’s departure. The test results certificate must be printed in two copies and presented at the terminal in order to embark on the ship."

Have received further information from MSC UK in a tweet

"Hi, For MSC Virtuosa’ sailings around the British Isles, we will initially welcome only UK residents of all ages, both vaccinated and unvaccinated. All unvaccinated or partially vaccinated guests (i.e did not receive the full set of vaccine shots) will need to take a PCR (molecular) or antigen (lateral flow) swab test within 72 hours prior to the ship’s departure. The test results certificate must be printed in two copies and presented at the terminal in order to embark on the ship. The test is not required for fully-vaccinated (proof of vaccination needed) or under 2 years old guests. However, as per our stringent MSC Health & Safety protocol, all guests both vaccinated and unvaccinated, will need to undergo some Health and COVID 19 screenings including a COVID 19 swab test, a health questionnaire and a contactless temperature check, before boarding the ship."

Looking at another problem with other cruise lines like P&O and Fred ,  is Cruise Insurance were some  Insurance companies and Bank  limit the amount for these UK Cruises, when apparently the Cruise Companies state that Cruise Insurance

must include a combined medical and repatriation cover of £2 million minimum that includes cover for emergency evacuations and medical expenses related to COVID-19..

They apparently will check policies and deny boarding for those underinsured.

Uncertain what MSC require but have so far only found this

"The Company recommends that every Passenger should have adequate insurance policy which covers them sufficiently for Holiday Package cancellation, medical assistance and expenses, loss and/or damage of the luggage, from the time the Holiday Package has been confirmed as Booked to the end of the Holiday Package."

Edited by LifeonMars
  • Thanks 1

Does anyone know what the policy is if you were to book one of these cruises and then either test positive when you take your test 72 hours prior to sailing or you are denied boarding at the port due to a positive test conducted there or high temperature reading etc? 

Would guests have to try to claim via travel insurance or do MSC have some kind of policy in place where guests denied boarding will get a future credit for the value of the cruise to be re-booked later?

Apologies if this has been answered but I don't know where to look. 

41 minutes ago, simon stingray said:

Does anyone know what the policy is if you were to book one of these cruises and then either test positive when you take your test 72 hours prior to sailing or you are denied boarding at the port due to a positive test conducted there or high temperature reading etc? 

Would guests have to try to claim via travel insurance or do MSC have some kind of policy in place where guests denied boarding will get a future credit for the value of the cruise to be re-booked later?

Apologies if this has been answered but I don't know where to look. 

On some of the Grandiosa sailings from Genoa a few who tested positive on the day were offered cruises on a different date, one group who traveled together by mini bus were all refused when one tested positive. I read earlier that you have to have test results in duplicate for those done 72 hours before sailing.

We have booked a Fantastica experience balcony for £1,234 each. Not a bad price for 7 nights including premium drinks package. When will we be able to book shore excursions? Thank you.

On 4/1/2021 at 1:01 PM, LifeonMars said:

Are negative Covid tests prior to boarding Virtuosa  required ?  If so this could add a few additional ££ and inconvenience  to the process of travelling.

I asked today and as we’ve both had 2 vaccines were told no pcr needed. If no full vaccine (2) then pcr needed

23 hours ago, Couple-Somerset said:

You "should" be OK if there aren't loads joining the ship.

But they have said guests will be given a strict time to check-in and must stick to it, so there's a danger you could be allocated early afternoon etc

Alarmingly, I read that if just one person within your allocated bubble returns a positive swab test result then NONE of the people in that bubble can travel - even a total stranger could put a stop to your cruise before it starts.

It’s possible that hearsay on bubbles is just hearsay. I cannot see how the bubble piece could work with strangers and being denied because they put you at risk. The HSE could prosecute MSC for putting you in that group of people. I’ve been running covid response for over a year now on top of my many years nhs experience and that does not meet with WHO, PHE or NHSE operating procedures.

18 hours ago, LifeonMars said:

Have received further information from MSC UK in a tweet

"Hi, For MSC Virtuosa’ sailings around the British Isles, we will initially welcome only UK residents of all ages, both vaccinated and unvaccinated. All unvaccinated or partially vaccinated guests (i.e did not receive the full set of vaccine shots) will need to take a PCR (molecular) or antigen (lateral flow) swab test within 72 hours prior to the ship’s departure. The test results certificate must be printed in two copies and presented at the terminal in order to embark on the ship. The test is not required for fully-vaccinated (proof of vaccination needed) or under 2 years old guests. However, as per our stringent MSC Health & Safety protocol, all guests both vaccinated and unvaccinated, will need to undergo some Health and COVID 19 screenings including a COVID 19 swab test, a health questionnaire and a contactless temperature check, before boarding the ship."

Looking at another problem with other cruise lines like P&O and Fred ,  is Cruise Insurance were some  Insurance companies and Bank  limit the amount for these UK Cruises, when apparently the Cruise Companies state that Cruise Insurance

must include a combined medical and repatriation cover of £2 million minimum that includes cover for emergency evacuations and medical expenses related to COVID-19..

They apparently will check policies and deny boarding for those underinsured.

Uncertain what MSC require but have so far only found this

"The Company recommends that every Passenger should have adequate insurance policy which covers them sufficiently for Holiday Package cancellation, medical assistance and expenses, loss and/or damage of the luggage, from the time the Holiday Package has been confirmed as Booked to the end of the Holiday Package."

Our annual policy just advised a £12 for the year extension cover for covid repatriation, bargain. 

19 hours ago, Couple-Somerset said:

Does anyone have any Promo Codes or suggestions for port parking at Southampton please?

We've used the Marlands car park in Southampton which is competitively priced at £8 a day. With 810 spaces the multi-storey car park (owned and operated by SouthamptonCity Council) can be found adjacent to the Asda Store and located through The Marland’s Portland Terrace entrance.

Marlands Car Park Website

It's a short Uber to the port.

Obviously it is more convenient and expensive to use ABP...

http://abparking.co.uk

18 minutes ago, luv2cruzuk said:

We've used the Marlands car park in Southampton which is competitively priced at £8 a day. With 810 spaces the multi-storey car park (owned and operated by SouthamptonCity Council) can be found adjacent to the Asda Store and located through The Marland’s Portland Terrace entrance.

Marlands Car Park Website

It's a short Uber to the port.

Obviously it is more convenient and expensive to use ABP...

http://abparking.co.uk

Just had a look at Marlands - http://www.southampton.gov.uk/travel-transport/find-and-plan/find-parking/

- £5 for over 7 hours (LEAVING BEFORE 6PM)

- then £3 for up to 3hrs of an evening

Unsure how you manage to get multi-night stays there? - or is it a Pay on Departure and you just get an amount to pay (hoping their system doesnt calculate it wrongly)