Do I need to bring pants? :)

3 hours ago, NightOne said:

It's been 6 years since I was on a Royal Caribbean ship and I hear they have relaxed a bit on the dress code since then. Do I need to bring pants at all? What CAN I wear in the various dining venues?

Can I eat every night in main dining room in shorts? or do I have to wear pants on the formal nights?

Chops? Izumi? Giovanni's?

Before you reply, notice I asked what CAN I wear. I am not interested in a starting a dress code flame war thread. I am not asking your opinion of what I SHOULD wear. I just want to know what I CAN wear in the dining venues without issue from the crew.

Thanks

Read Royals dress code that way you won’t get any opinions.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, HicksRA said:

No one is required to follow rules or etiquette anymore. 

Only the ones that care.  😉  We dress to please ourselves and be respectful of our host's requests...really don't care about the others.  

• Like 4

The only place we've seen the "no shorts" policy was in the DL/CL and this has varied by ship and concierge.

We had one in particular DL concierge that actually practically crawled under the table to check if someone happened to come in when she wasn't looking or not at her post.

Edited by Ashland

My experience only - it varies from ship to ship.  I personally have seen people asked to come back to the dining room AFTER putting on long pants.  It will be interesting to see what the future brings.  I am thinking that a lot of the passengers will be older when cruising returns.  We shall see.  Katherine

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

It depends on who you are .On a cruise a few years ago on Formal night a retired NBA player and his son were wearing sweat pants.

He probably wanted everyone to know he was a big star. 🙄

• Like 1

9 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

Pants and underpants are optional onboard. WJ anything goes -- itsy bitsy teenie weenie yellow dot bikinis allowed -- even bath robes. 

Been about 3 1/2 yrs since last seen people not seated in Main Dining on Formal Nites, this for shorts/tank tops. Not judging but cover up/shirt and no wet swimsuit in WindJammer think still says that, seen few turned away barefoot/wet suit/shirtless but been while. But my first Decade+ on Royal Cruises, definitely no swimsuit in WJ during day. Back then Barbecue style lunch every Sea Day was served poolside for those didnt want take off swimsuits and put clothes of for WJ. Even had 3pm ship bells for Tea Time. Dinner in WJ was more Formal back then, Semi at least, Linen Table Clothes, Waiters and Menus at Tables with only small Buffet. Funny thing was they had Trays then, though was lot easier carrying couple plates and your drink to table

Edited by ONECRUISER

The customer is always right? Right!

There are some good smart casual shorts I like to wear and would to the MDR if I was allowed too 😛

Dressing up is part of what makes cruising fun for us so we do and if you don’t it’s your vacation so enjoy it how you want too!

• Like 1

The ships still had two "formal" nights , but who knows.  Definately wear pants and a collard shirt for men-

We actually are looking foward to dressing up as now, I live in sweats and raggy type clothes.

We should all get dressed up now.  We will have things to celebrate! Every night should be New Years eve on our next cruise!   Hopefully soon.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Mikew0805 said:

It's frowned upon, but I just don't care. If I can be on a ship right now, you can come in your underwear with skid marks in them for all I care. 

Best answer ever ... LMAO !!!!

I remember a little over a year ago in Dubai, this women was complaining loudly that her tour bus would not let he get on.  The tour was visiting some sites that had a dress code (which the whole country has a dress code) and she did not have any long pants or a sleeved top.  She actually said, this was ridiculous, I'm an American.  I should have been allowed.  

Whenever a dress code topic comes up, and makes me think of why?  First, if the recommended dress is "dress up nicely", why do people think that wearing a t-shirt and shorts would be ok?  I get it, I'm on vacation, but than again, you bought a vacation that has some expectations also.  

On another occasion, for the behind the scenes tour, a father brought his son, but the kid came in flip flops and shorts.  The dress code, and bold print, said no open toe shoes.  The father argued that he is only a kid, so he did not think a dress code applied.  The parent had 15 minutes to find a solution.....and funny, the kid that did not have any shoes, found some.....used his sisters. 

I don't understand why adults need to ask a question, or think something does not apply.  I don't care what you wear, but don't ask a question as to justify that you don't want to do something.  Maybe you will be turned away, maybe not.  If you are comfortable sitting at a table with 8 other people wearing nice dress up clothing, and you have a "black Greatful Dead" t-shirt on......than do it. 

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Sail n Snow said:

The customer is always right? Right!

There are some good smart casual shorts I like to wear and would to the MDR if I was allowed too 😛

Dressing up is part of what makes cruising fun for us so we do and if you don’t it’s your vacation so enjoy it how you want too!

Shorts are shorts.   Either they are allowed or not.   In what I saw just previous to the  shutdown, they  were allowed (formal or casual night), although most men wore slacks to dinner.   

M

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joseph2017China said:

I remember a little over a year ago in Dubai, this women was complaining loudly that her tour bus would not let he get on.  The tour was visiting some sites that had a dress code (which the whole country has a dress code) and she did not have any long pants or a sleeved top.  She actually said, this was ridiculous, I'm an American.  I should have been allowed.  

Whenever a dress code topic comes up, and makes me think of why?  First, if the recommended dress is "dress up nicely", why do people think that wearing a t-shirt and shorts would be ok?  I get it, I'm on vacation, but than again, you bought a vacation that has some expectations also.  

On another occasion, for the behind the scenes tour, a father brought his son, but the kid came in flip flops and shorts.  The dress code, and bold print, said no open toe shoes.  The father argued that he is only a kid, so he did not think a dress code applied.  The parent had 15 minutes to find a solution.....and funny, the kid that did not have any shoes, found some.....used his sisters. 

I don't understand why adults need to ask a question, or think something does not apply.  I don't care what you wear, but don't ask a question as to justify that you don't want to do something.  Maybe you will be turned away, maybe not.  If you are comfortable sitting at a table with 8 other people wearing nice dress up clothing, and you have a "black Greatful Dead" t-shirt on......than do it. 

Dress is such a hot topic.   This might be the first thread since the shutdown last year

Religious and safety dress requirements are completely different.    So sad to hear  a story about such an  ignorant  woman.  We've traveled extensively in the Middle East and understand the  religious and cultural expectations.  As a matter of fact, we were on a water tour in Dubai ( no chance of getting wet) and  I was surprised that one passenger was in a low cut  bathing suit top, with no cover up.     The closed shoe requirement is for safety issues.  I accidently wore the wrong type of shoes to a ship  tour  and was asked to  go back to the cabin to change them. (Of course I did) 

We like to dress up, especially when cruising.  What some passengers wear for "casual" I would wear to wash the  car.  I've given up.   I've accepted that not only have times changed but personal standards have changed as well. 

We dress  to a certain standard for us,  but  don't care about what others wear.   Hmm - after I wrote this I guess someone who wants to  dress in shorts and T's could write the  same thing. 

M

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Dress is such a hot topic.   This might be the first thread since the shutdown last year

Religious and safety dress requirements are completely different.    So sad to hear  a story about such an  ignorant  woman.  We've traveled extensively in the Middle East and understand the  religious and cultural expectations.  As a matter of fact, we were on a water tour in Dubai ( no chance of getting wet) and  I was surprised that one passenger was in a low cut  bathing suit top, with no cover up.     The closed shoe requirement is for safety issues.  I accidently wore the wrong type of shoes to a ship  tour  and was asked to  go back to the cabin to change them. (Of course I did) 

We like to dress up, especially when cruising.  What some passengers wear for "casual" I would wear to wash the  car.  I've given up.   I've accepted that not only have times changed but personal standards have changed as well. 

We dress  to a certain standard for us,  but  don't care about what others wear.   Hmm - after I wrote this I guess someone who wants to  dress in shorts and T's could write the  same thing. 

M

My point is....you don't need to ask on a board, if you want to dress down when it is clearly not the time for doing so.  It is just a very hot topic, that is mostly, people from this country talk about.  Regardless of the "safety" reason, it shows people don't think it applies to them, or the "religious" reason because I'm not Muslim thinking.  It is a widespread issue, where people have to ask to justify what they are going to do anyway.  There are also some Christian churches in Europe where ladies had to cover their bare shoulders where I heard complaints also.  

20 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Wow -- in a wife beater t-shirt...did he have shorts on too?  

Remember the title of this thread...."Do I need to bring pants?".   😮   Lots of funny clips on TV about "are they really wearing pants" during video chats I think.  😄 

Edited by island lady

1 minute ago, island lady said:

Remember the title of this thread...."Do I need to bring pants?".   😮  

Okay so he forgot to bring pants...can't see underneath the table.  He could very well have a speedo on for all we know. Shocking! 😱

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, island lady said:

Lots of funny clips on TV about "are they really wearing pants" during video chats I think.  😄 

Yes, I've seen some hilarious ones on YouTube.  One that comes to mind is a guy that finishes a Zoom meeting and thinks he's logged out but he's still on camera and gets up from his desk and to everyone's horror, he forgot to wear pants over his boxers.  

• Like 1