Do I need to bring pants? :)

4 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

Screen Shot 2021-03-31 at 7.17.31 AM.png

Hey I wore some just that that...at my sister's wedding.  I was matron of honor.  She and I both "wore" those shoes.  She was married on the beach...lots of sand.  I thought they were really cool!  🤗

Edited by island lady
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, island lady said:

Hey I wore some just that that...at my sister's wedding.  I was matron of honor.  She and I both "wore" those shoes.  She was married on the beach...lots of sand.  I thought they were really cool!  🤗

Yes they are cool for the beach but on formal night at the MDR?  I guess if they don't see there's nothing on your soles they're passable -- just don't lift up your feet -- LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, cured said:

I just finished watching a cruise vlog of a couple that were on an Oasis class ship. They went to the MDR every night except formal night in shorts. (They did wear a dress and a tie on formal night.) They had the photo package and had pictures taken of them in their shorts.  Husband wore a wife beater every morning to the Windjammer. I kept watching thinking to myself that this couple has never read Cruise Critic and been schooled on the dress code.  Obviously on the ship noone cared. And they were very happy and absolutely not offensive to anyone.

Watching their videos, it seems there was a fair amount of people in the MDR dressed very, very casually.

My experiences have been different.  As I said... YMMV

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, island lady said:

I think they are pretty cool too! Do they have a name? They are like bikinis or thongs for feet, so maybe they could call them "fikinis" or "fongs".

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, livingonthebeach said:

Yes they are cool for the beach but on formal night at the MDR?  I guess if they don't see there's nothing on your soles they're passable -- just don't lift up your feet -- LOL

The MD or head waiter should have turned that "lady" away.  That is just decorated bare feet.  Health code violation.  Great for the beach, or pool deck...but not in the MDR.  Someone was not paying enough attention.  😮 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SilkySal said:

I think they are pretty cool too! Do they have a name? They are like bikinis or thongs for feet, so maybe they could call them "fikinis" or "fongs".

My sister bought them for me and gave them to me just before the ceremony on the beach.  First time I had ever seen anything like that.  🙂 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

I wish I could say that I agree with you, but I don't. Are you familiar with the phrase "give 'em an inch and they'll take a mile"? Well, as one who likes to dress for dinner and expects others to do the same, I find it tacky and borderline gross to come to dinner in the MDR and see people in slovenly pool attire. It just puts me off. More to the point, it encourages an already disturbing trend of "look at me" that is rampant in our society, which explains the proliferation of reality TV shows, social media-obsessed people, and egotism. Now, is it possible to see people in fine attire misbehaving? Sure, just as there are also people who dress down for dinner who behave in a respectable manner. But those are outliers. In my opinion, having no dress code sets a bad tone that, if it doesn't encourage rudeness, it certainly says "we don't care." I recently read on here about a woman who was clipping her toenails at the pool and when asked not to, replied "I'm on vacation, I can do what I want."

Exactly. And many, many MANY times I have read on Cruise Critic of people who were called out by the maitre-d' or other diners about showing up for dinner with cutoffs and a wifebeater and becoming belligerent, saying "I'm on vacation, I can wear what I want." Hey buddy, news flash: it isn't all about you! Have some respect for others. But I confess that, as someone who had to wear a tie and dress clothes to high school, I appreciate the saying "manners maketh man."

Now I await the avalanche of the judgmental critics among us. 😉

"...expects others to do the same."  When your level of expectations exceeds the managment of the venue, it is you sir that has issues. 

"...it puts me off."  If it bothers you to a level that it changes your emotion to enjoy a nice dinner and the conversations that most often flow with the meal, then you really need to assess the value the venue gives you. 

"... the disturbing trend of 'Look at me' that is rampant in society." With all due respect to you, it is my belief that you are attempting to set the standard of the 'be like at me' and if you can't, then you expect others to just go away. 

I'll stop there. To answer the O.P., yes do pack a pair of slacks. I have found that each region or type of cruise that we've enjoyed has a different type of vibe to it and this naturally tends to be witnessed in how we dress accordingly. For example, on our European cruises we've noticed that the style and elegance at even the business casual seems to be a notch above other cruises. Likewise, wearing shorts on our Alaskan cruises just didn't seem to fit the landscape or season. I can't imagine the desire to wear shorts at dinner on this type of cruise.  But take the care-free, laidback mental aspect of a Caribbean cruise with surf, beach, and sun, I can see wearing shorts as something others would do. 

Having said this, I've never worn shorts to the MDR and never plan to either. Likewise, I only carry a tie on a cruise if we are in Europe. A Blazer w/ an open collar is more my comfort level personally. But to be concerned with what others are wearing to a point to even have an opinion about it and then discuss is rather lame at best. There are far too many other great things to enjoy and discuss at dinner. 

I once again fall back to the venue and it's management. It's their job to expect it and enforce it, it's my choice to accept it and enjoy it. If I do accept it, I enjoy the food and company. If I don't accept it, I simply do not go. But to go knowing the expectations of management and then complain... is well... weak sauce. 

Edited by Goodtime Cruizin
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

and........ we are back to the  good old days.  

Anyone up for  a tipping thread?

M

How much should I tip the attendant(s) for a cabana on Coco Cay? Do I tip more if the cabana is further from the food venue because the attendant has to walk farther?

15 minutes ago, cured said:

How much should I tip the attendant(s) for a cabana on Coco Cay? Do I tip more if the cabana is further from the food venue because the attendant has to walk farther?

Never considered a differentiation in the tip because of the cabana location.  That question  will likely get lost in this dress code thread.   If you are serious, try a cabana thread or ask as a new topic.  

Good luck

M

Our society has become more casual and more it’s become more about what “I” want.  That okay but I’m sorry it has invaded cruising.  We actually like to dress to dinner as it makes it more special feeling.  However we accept we are in the minority. The worst was when we sat at table where one of the other men was in a basketball type shirt, sleeveless with unkempt armpits.  I don’t mean to sound snobbish.  My son in laws dress this way in the summer and that’s okay.  But if we go to a restaurant where someone takes our order they do put on a shirt with sleeves.

We are looking at some of the other lines that require a bit more at dinner like Celebrity and Viking.  Up to now the no shorts rule is still enforced there.

I was just looking at The Grand hotel on Mackinaw island for a weekend away since the pandemic is limiting international travel.  They require jacket and tie at dinner.  I asked the DH if he’d be okay with that as he rarely wears a tie anymore and he said it sounded great to him for the dining experience. 

We don’t like stuffy but wearing pants and a shirt with sleeves to dinner really isn’t too much to ask of anyone.  Just my opinion.  You can do what you want. We have seen it all, undershirts to tiny shorts that don’t leave much to the imagination, in the dining room.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Never considered a differentiation in the tip because of the cabana location.  That question  will likely get lost in this dress code thread.   If you are serious, try a cabana thread or ask as a new topic.  

Good luck

M

No, not serious. Just kidding.  I am sure I can find numerous threads on what everyone thinks the "right" tip should be 🤣

18 hours ago, island lady said:

I was hoping for the chair hog thread.  😉 

Ooh Ooh.. how about a thread about the DL chair hogs...which can then morph into a D+ not having access to CL, and Suite guests wanting P's out of the SL..

However, we really need the key contributors to ensure that it all goes awry.

FUN! 😜

• Like 1

On 3/30/2021 at 4:46 AM, NightOne said:

It's been 6 years since I was on a Royal Caribbean ship and I hear they have relaxed a bit on the dress code since then. Do I need to bring pants at all? What CAN I wear in the various dining venues?

Can I eat every night in main dining room in shorts? or do I have to wear pants on the formal nights?

Chops? Izumi? Giovanni's?

Before you reply, notice I asked what CAN I wear. I am not interested in a starting a dress code flame war thread. I am not asking your opinion of what I SHOULD wear. I just want to know what I CAN wear in the dining venues without issue from the crew.

Thanks

WHAT YOU CAN WEAR ...is up to you,  just post a picture of you with no pants. I'm not a crew member but I would love to see what they have to endure. Thanks

On 3/31/2021 at 5:46 PM, Sail n Snow said:

I think your right and it’s not too much to ask.  However RCI is trying to cater to the masses and the times are changing. Instead of using suggest they could use required or mandatory but for those that don’t see dinner the same way they may loose customers.  

There is probably an opportunity for RCI to have a better solution than just ignoring it.  On ships with multiple dinning rooms you could have an option to select more or less formal or doesn’t matter and then seat accordingly.  

On smaller ships maybe have sections or specific times.  It may not be completely feasible though.  

A few years ago I was on the Norwegian Pearl.  There were two dining rooms.  One followed the smart casual suggested look. The other basically was come as you want, shorts and baseball hat included.  Everyone was happy, had a sit down meal and was not frowned upon or relegated to the buffet.

On 4/1/2021 at 1:43 AM, cruiselvr04 said:

Our society has become more casual and more it’s become more about what “I” want.  That okay but I’m sorry it has invaded cruising.  We actually like to dress to dinner as it makes it more special feeling.  However we accept we are in the minority. The worst was when we sat at table where one of the other men was in a basketball type shirt, sleeveless with unkempt armpits.  I don’t mean to sound snobbish.  My son in laws dress this way in the summer and that’s okay.  But if we go to a restaurant where someone takes our order they do put on a shirt with sleeves.

We are looking at some of the other lines that require a bit more at dinner like Celebrity and Viking.  Up to now the no shorts rule is still enforced there.

I was just looking at The Grand hotel on Mackinaw island for a weekend away since the pandemic is limiting international travel.  They require jacket and tie at dinner.  I asked the DH if he’d be okay with that as he rarely wears a tie anymore and he said it sounded great to him for the dining experience. 

We don’t like stuffy but wearing pants and a shirt with sleeves to dinner really isn’t too much to ask of anyone.  Just my opinion.  You can do what you want. We have seen it all, undershirts to tiny shorts that don’t leave much to the imagination, in the dining room.

You are right!