Jump to content

Recommended Posts

We're Elite on Celebrity and Platinum on Princess. We like both lines. As a night owl, I like that on Princess I can get tasty snacks in the wee hours in the International Cafe. On our last Celebrity cruise the last food, outside of room service,  stopped at 12:30AM in the Oceanview Cafe. If your evenings include late nights in the casino or the disco and you're hungry, you're out of luck on Celebrity. Score this one for Princess in my book.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Projunior said:

We're Elite on Celebrity and Platinum on Princess. We like both lines. As a night owl, I like that on Princess I can get tasty snacks in the wee hours in the International Cafe. On our last Celebrity cruise the last food, outside of room service,  stopped at 12:30AM in the Oceanview Cafe. If your evenings include late nights in the casino or the disco and you're hungry, you're out of luck on Celebrity. Score this one for Princess in my book.


This is a great observation. Post-drinks and dancing into the early hours, Celebrity has this weird thing of offering nothing other than room service. On our last sailing, there would always be this frantic rush from everyone still awake as the small "late night snacks" corner of the buffet was closing. It's the one consistent thing we write on our Celebrity comment cards, because waiting an unknown amount of time to get a sandwich delivered at 2 am is just... not awesome. 

It seemed like the Edge attempted to solve this by operating the little cafe in the corner of the martini bar space that could offer small bites, but this was eliminated by the time we sailed on the ship. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

It seemed like the Edge attempted to solve this by operating the little cafe in the corner of the martini bar space that could offer small bites, but this was eliminated by the time we sailed on the ship. 

It was eliminated REALLY fast. We were on the 2nd full length cruise, Inaugural Eastern Caribbean cruise and it was already shuttered. It must have been painfully obvious that it didn't workout from just the short FAM Tours for Travel agents. This is an example of what looks good on paper doesn't necessarily work in real life.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

It was eliminated REALLY fast. We were on the 2nd full length cruise, Inaugural Eastern Caribbean cruise and it was already shuttered. It must have been painfully obvious that it didn't workout from just the short FAM Tours for Travel agents. This is an example of what looks good on paper doesn't necessarily work in real life.  

But that applied to so much of the Edge furnishings, yet hardly any of the Fails have been addressed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

But that applied to so much of the Edge furnishings, yet hardly any of the Fails have been addressed.

It will be interesting to see how the Edge Class has evolved with the Beyond.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

But that applied to so much of the Edge furnishings, yet hardly any of the Fails have been addressed.

We did Edge in Europe in 2019. Overall, we loved it, and didn’t share the major gripes with the ship that lots of CC members have.

 

However, we did have two space issues with the ship: Eden was largely abandoned for the entirety of the day. It’s just a massive space that is entirely underutilized. Even when they did the Eden show, everyone just kinda cleared out and went to more traditional venues when it ended. The second was the rooftop garden thing. It was obscenely hot, had no shade, and was deserted even at night. It was like they took the idea of the lawn club and got rid of the grass. It was a head scratcher. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Celebrity hands down. Nicer and more elegant ships , much better food , better entertainment and theaters , more luxurious feeling staterooms etc. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/1/2021 at 10:25 AM, AstoriaPreppy said:

If Celebrity was planning on doing something similar, they would have installed the tech during the massive refits of Summit and Millennium. Instead, they just installed RFID door locks and updated the POS systems to tap cards. 

It is curious that X hasn't moved in the direction of something similar to Princess' Medallion. I wonder why?

 

I'd really like to see that on X.

Link to post
Share on other sites

From my 

16 minutes ago, Shadow9612 said:

It is curious that X hasn't moved in the direction of something similar to Princess' Medallion. I wonder why?

I’m guessing it’s an economy of scale thing. Developing that system has been a major capital expenditure, in both development and then installation on a ship. The thought from carnival was always that once they worked the kinks out on Princess (which is carnival’s most diverse brand in terms of passenger mix), each line would then have their own version rolled out, which spreads out the investment on development over tons of ships. 
 

Since Royal Caribbean only owns two brands, it’s probably harder to justify an or get a good return on that investment. While I love ocean medallion, I probably perfer Celebrity stripping staterooms down to the studs and completely revolutionizing them.
 

Now, if I could just get them to remodel Cellar Masters on the Millennium and Summit into that darned craft beer pub. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

 

 

However, we did have two space issues with the ship: Eden was largely abandoned for the entirety of the day. It’s just a massive space that is entirely underutilized. Even when they did the Eden show, everyone just kinda cleared out and went to more traditional venues when it ended. The second was the rooftop garden thing. It was obscenely hot, had no shade, and was deserted even at night. It was like they took the idea of the lawn club and got rid of the grass. It was a head scratcher. 

I totally agree about the underutilization of the Eden. That's not about the space itself, though,it's about the failure of imagination of the Cruise Director and/or Activities Manager. It is an example of why some  past passengers of the Edge comment that there's nothing to do on the ship, not enough activities. The Edge doesn't have to be a Carnival cruise with a jam packed schedule of silly activities, but there needs to be more thoughtful programming throughout the cruise day that utilizes all the beautiful spaces on the ship.

Edited by kwokpot
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

From my 

I’m guessing it’s an economy of scale thing. Developing that system has been a major capital expenditure, in both development and then installation on a ship. The thought from carnival was always that once they worked the kinks out on Princess (which is carnival’s most diverse brand in terms of passenger mix), each line would then have their own version rolled out, which spreads out the investment on development over tons of ships. 
 

Since Royal Caribbean only owns two brands, it’s probably harder to justify an or get a good return on that investment. While I love ocean medallion, I probably perfer Celebrity stripping staterooms down to the studs and completely revolutionizing them.
 

Now, if I could just get them to remodel Cellar Masters on the Millennium and Summit into that darned craft beer pub. 

 

Good point.  Agreed - I would take the revolutionizing over the medallion if they could only do one. 

 

I actually had a cruise booked on Princess when the medallion was just being rolled out and I booked the cruise specifically for the medallion.  Then, when the cruise actually came, they weren't ready 😞

 

I should have known it would never have gone according to schedule!  So, I have yet to actually experience the medallion.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been on one Medallion cruise so far (Last January on Royal Princess), though my pervious Princess cruise--on Emerald Princess--they had the ship close to set up for it--they had the stuff installed at each cabin door...but they just weren't quite ready to roll it out...so all the stuff was just a curiosity.  Our upcoming October Majestic Princess cruise is also going to be with the Medallions...

 

But, having had one, here's my take:

It is supposed to do a whole lot of stuff...but there are really only three things we ever used:

1)  It unlocks your cabin door just by walking close to it...don't have to stick a card in a slot...Cool, but it's mostly an advantage when your hands are otherwise full...like you are holding a drink in one hand and bringing a drink to your spouse with the other.  Of course, you still have to turn the doorknob somehow...

2)  You can use it to track your spouse or other traveling companions...Great when you are trying to find them...though some might NOT like it if they are trying to avoid YOU!

3)  You can order a drink via the phone app and the bar waiters can find you...Sounds cool, but it really doesn't speed up service much if at all...and, after a day or two, we found the bar waiters in our favorite bars seemed to recognize us anyway and came right over before we ever figured out how to order on the app...

 

Other than above, it is sort of cool to see that box arrive before your cruise and unpack the medallion and stuff that goes with it...Kind of replaces that day long ago when your "docs" used to arrive in the mail...before they went to online docs...

 

And, afterward, you are left with a cool souvenir of your cruise...rather than a plastic card, I have a white lanyard with a Princess logo and "Ocean Medallion"...and the plastic case with blue Princess logo insert...and, inside, the coin-sized disc with gray logo and my name, ship and sail date around the edges...

 

BTW, they also offer you the chance to purchase replacement inserts to show off your Captain's Circle standing...and optional jewelry--like fancier chains or wristbands to replace the lanyard...Of course, what's the point?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

I've been on one Medallion cruise so far (Last January on Royal Princess), though my pervious Princess cruise--on Emerald Princess--they had the ship close to set up for it--they had the stuff installed at each cabin door...but they just weren't quite ready to roll it out...so all the stuff was just a curiosity.  Our upcoming October Majestic Princess cruise is also going to be with the Medallions...

 

But, having had one, here's my take:

It is supposed to do a whole lot of stuff...but there are really only three things we ever used:

1)  It unlocks your cabin door just by walking close to it...don't have to stick a card in a slot...Cool, but it's mostly an advantage when your hands are otherwise full...like you are holding a drink in one hand and bringing a drink to your spouse with the other.  Of course, you still have to turn the doorknob somehow...

2)  You can use it to track your spouse or other traveling companions...Great when you are trying to find them...though some might NOT like it if they are trying to avoid YOU!

3)  You can order a drink via the phone app and the bar waiters can find you...Sounds cool, but it really doesn't speed up service much if at all...and, after a day or two, we found the bar waiters in our favorite bars seemed to recognize us anyway and came right over before we ever figured out how to order on the app...

 

Other than above, it is sort of cool to see that box arrive before your cruise and unpack the medallion and stuff that goes with it...Kind of replaces that day long ago when your "docs" used to arrive in the mail...before they went to online docs...

 

And, afterward, you are left with a cool souvenir of your cruise...rather than a plastic card, I have a white lanyard with a Princess logo and "Ocean Medallion"...and the plastic case with blue Princess logo insert...and, inside, the coin-sized disc with gray logo and my name, ship and sail date around the edges...

 

BTW, they also offer you the chance to purchase replacement inserts to show off your Captain's Circle standing...and optional jewelry--like fancier chains or wristbands to replace the lanyard...Of course, what's the point?

Me not ever having to hand a card over for anything was amazing. Walking up to a random bar me saying “I’ll have an X” and then having them just pass me a beer with no transaction was worth every second of wearing that Medalion. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Haven't you heard?  When I got my two Moderna covid vaccine injections, Celebrity paid the CDC a small gratuity to inject a Celebrity i.d. microchip into my bloodstream, even has my credit card details imprinted.  I'M GOOD TO GO!  No more key cards for me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

Me not ever having to hand a card over for anything was amazing. Walking up to a random bar me saying “I’ll have an X” and then having them just pass me a beer with no transaction was worth every second of wearing that Medalion. 

So how do you pay if there is no transaction ? It’s not that simple. The medallion would still have to be scanned. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, XuGator said:

So how do you pay if there is no transaction ? It’s not that simple. The medallion would still have to be scanned. 

You are carrying the thing with you wherever you go...and there are "readers" everywhere as well...including at the bars...you just need to be close enough to be read--same reason your cabin door reads the signal and unlocks......And you have a smart phone app that you can order on as well...So, YES, there IS a "transaction"...but it doesn't require pulling out a card and having them scan it...They ID you from the signal the medallion puts out...

Edited by Bruin Steve
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

You are carrying the thing with you wherever you go...and there are "readers" everywhere as well...including at the bars...you just need to be close enough to be read--same reason your cabin door reads the signal and unlocks......And you have a smart phone app that you can order on as well...So, YES, there IS a "transaction"...but it doesn't require pulling out a card and having them scan it...They ID you from the signal the medallion puts out...

We have been on two cruises with medallions and found them really gimmicky. They didn’t do much other than open our cabins doors which I guess saved us 2 seconds that it would take to grab my card out of my pocket and scan it.  I just don’t see this catching on with other lines. The celebrity app might be utilized more to pre order drinks.  Cruise lines aren’t going to invest in the cost and tech to provide thousands of passengers a medallion every cruise when they can utilize the same technology in something every passenger already has on them. Their cell phone. 
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, XuGator said:

 The celebrity app might be utilized more to pre order drinks.  Cruise lines aren’t going to invest in the cost and tech to provide thousands of passengers a medallion every cruise when they can utilize the same technology in something every passenger already has on them. Their cell phone. 
 

 

I think you are on to something.  I have a car that is operated via Bluetooth on my cell phone (Android or Apple) - lock/unlock, activate systems, pay for 'fuel' to operate it, track where my wife is in the car (even shows the door opening as she gets in and out), wireless updates, etc.  I have been using it for 2+ years and never a glitch.  The bar staff or shop, photography, art staff will have some inconspicuous scanner to record your order.  I believe this will be the new technology for the immediate future, it's already here (something better will come along some years from now).  I think Carnival's medallion system is old technology now.  The last thing I want to do is wear some bangles and beads and key card around my neck on a cruise.

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, XuGator said:

We have been on two cruises with medallions and found them really gimmicky. They didn’t do much other than open our cabins doors which I guess saved us 2 seconds that it would take to grab my card out of my pocket and scan it.  I just don’t see this catching on with other lines. The celebrity app might be utilized more to pre order drinks.  Cruise lines aren’t going to invest in the cost and tech to provide thousands of passengers a medallion every cruise when they can utilize the same technology in something every passenger already has on them. Their cell phone. 
 

 

Given the number of posts that I continue to read from people who don't/won't carry around their cell phones once aboard, frequently locking them up in the cabin safe, I'm not so sure. Given the choice between wearing a medallion on my wrist or carrying my iPhone around with me, I'd go with the medallion every time. The iPhone is my constant companion at home or during port stops, but never on the ship.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

We have sailed mostly on Celebrity and Holland-America Line (HAL) with just one Princess cruise. We didn't like the food on Princess at all, except for a couple of things in the International Cafe that were really good. The buffet, in particular, was very poor on Princess, but this was a number of years ago. Maybe they've improved the food. HAL has great food for the most part, and Celebrity is almost as good. We were upgraded to a mini-suite on our Princess sailing. As others have noted, it's not much different from a Verandah stateroom on Celebrity (or HAL). 

Edited by MarkWiltonM
clarity
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

Given the number of posts that I continue to read from people who don't/won't carry around their cell phones once aboard, frequently locking them up in the cabin safe, I'm not so sure. Given the choice between wearing a medallion on my wrist or carrying my iPhone around with me, I'd go with the medallion every time. The iPhone is my constant companion at home or during port stops, but never on the ship.

So you don’t take pictures or have wifi to text family back home? Check email or social media or news or sports scores ? I know very few people who don’t carry their phone. Everything is moving towards phone enabled information. The daily planner is much easier to look at on the app also.  Even if you are someone who likes to disconnect from the world while on vacation , just the internal free ship wifi is really beneficial in the celebrity app. All of the information is right there at your fingertips including seeing your stateroom account etc.  A clunky medallion can provide none of those benefits.  Now that celebrity is including wifi in almost all their sailings , people will want their phone to take advantage of that perk 
 

 

Edited by XuGator
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, XuGator said:

So you don’t take pictures or have wifi to text family back home? Check email or social media or news or sports scores ? I know very few people who don’t carry their phone. Everything is moving towards phone enabled information. The daily planner is much easier to look at on the app also.  Even if you are someone who likes to disconnect from the world while on vacation , just the internal free ship wifi is really beneficial in the celebrity app. All of the information is right there at your fingertips including seeing your stateroom account etc.  A clunky medallion can provide none of those benefits.  Now that celebrity is including wifi in almost all their sailings , people will want their phone to take advantage of that perk 
 

 

Count me in with those who generally DON'T carry around their phone...or wallet...or anything else clunky...with them around the ship.  I like to be as lightweight and unencumbered as possible.  I don't have to take pictures everywhere around the ship.  I have a quality Nikon camera--that I carry into port for "real" photos...and I MAY, if inclined to do so, bring it out for a short time onboard to take ship photos.  I don't have to...or want to...spend much time checking emails, social media or sports scores...I can do that during short episodes back in my cabin...When I'm at dinner, at a show, at a shipboard activity, drinking in a bar or whatever, I want to do THAT...not constantly look at a computer screen--especially not a tiny one on a cell phone.  I may have bookings, now, with free unlimited wifi...but that doesn't mean I MUST be connected to that wifi 24/7...I can do THAT back at home...I cruise to do something else...

 

And that medallion is NOT "clunky"...it is 1.1 ounces (30 grams) INCLUDING the medallion, the plastic case AND the lanyard...It goes virtually unnoticed around one's neck...

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

Count me in with those who generally DON'T carry around their phone...or wallet...or anything else clunky...with them around the ship.  I like to be as lightweight and unencumbered as possible.  I don't have to take pictures everywhere around the ship.  I have a quality Nikon camera--that I carry into port for "real" photos...and I MAY, if inclined to do so, bring it out for a short time onboard to take ship photos.  I don't have to...or want to...spend much time checking emails, social media or sports scores...I can do that during short episodes back in my cabin...When I'm at dinner, at a show, at a shipboard activity, drinking in a bar or whatever, I want to do THAT...not constantly look at a computer screen--especially not a tiny one on a cell phone.  I may have bookings, now, with free unlimited wifi...but that doesn't mean I MUST be connected to that wifi 24/7...I can do THAT back at home...I cruise to do something else...

 

And that medallion is NOT "clunky"...it is 1.1 ounces (30 grams) INCLUDING the medallion, the plastic case AND the lanyard...It goes virtually unnoticed around one's neck...

 

DW says take my phone. What if we get separated, etc.? Yes, on a ship where you can't really get lost, but still, what if? I take my phone.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

Count me in with those who generally DON'T carry around their phone...or wallet...or anything else clunky...with them around the ship.  I like to be as lightweight and unencumbered as possible.  I don't have to take pictures everywhere around the ship.  I have a quality Nikon camera--that I carry into port for "real" photos...and I MAY, if inclined to do so, bring it out for a short time onboard to take ship photos.  I don't have to...or want to...spend much time checking emails, social media or sports scores...I can do that during short episodes back in my cabin...When I'm at dinner, at a show, at a shipboard activity, drinking in a bar or whatever, I want to do THAT...not constantly look at a computer screen--especially not a tiny one on a cell phone.  I may have bookings, now, with free unlimited wifi...but that doesn't mean I MUST be connected to that wifi 24/7...I can do THAT back at home...I cruise to do something else...

 

And that medallion is NOT "clunky"...it is 1.1 ounces (30 grams) INCLUDING the medallion, the plastic case AND the lanyard...It goes virtually unnoticed around one's neck...

You would be carrying it around tonight if you were on a cruise at 8:34 EST

 

its a lot clunkier than a card 

 

we can debate this forever but medallions are not the future. It’s almost like the old token encryption keychain businesses would send out with a rotating code. This is old technology. Finally everyone got smart and realized the phone can do this and a heck of a lot more.  This coupled with the costs savings of not providing medallions to all cruisers. 

Edited by XuGator
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, XuGator said:

You would be carrying it around tonight if you were on a cruise at 8:34 EST

I would be sitting in a shipboard bar, not watching on a phone screen.  [And as a Stanford grad, I usually don't root for UCLA – but the PAC-12 is always underestimated by the national press, so I have to root for our only remaining contender.  And what a Cinderella story! – if Cinderella was actually the heiress to the Wooden fortune...]

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: American Queen Steamboat Company - Celebrate Your Freedom
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com - June 2021
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...