Nothing like engaging in rampant speculation but we might as well do so.  Given that the CDC has continued to hold to its no sail date of November 1 in spite of lots of pressure from many directions and the extensive 2022 world cruise itinerary coupled with Jack Anderson's comments about the difficulty in dealing with itineraries involving many countries, one wonders what the forecast would be for the world cruise to go forward.  Even if the US ports could be avoided by starting the cruise in Nassau in lieu of Miami and going to a Mexican port in lieu of LA and completely ditching Hawaii sailing south to venues like Costa Rica, etc. before crossing the Pacific, Australia and New Zealand look a bit problematic at least at this point.  The good news might be that Serenity will be sailing in the Caribbean and have experienced crew so it would not need to be relocated and there would be no delay to bring her out of warm layup.  But the logistics of reworking the itinerary look pretty daunting to say the least and would certainly require a bunch of advance arrangements with ports and local authorities.

There are lots of very knowledgeable people on this board that can probably provide some realistic insights on what are the chances that this cruise might actually take place given the logistical issues, CDC and other country travel bans as well as other factors.  I would really be interested in their thoughts and what they might think the realistic timing might be for Crystal to make a decision.  If this cruise is not going to happen, I am sure the guests would like to know sooner rather than later to make alternate plans either on Crystal or otherwise.

The first segment of the 2022 WC departs Miami on 1/17/22. Final payments for 2022 departures are due 6 months prior to sailing, unless Crystal changes its payment requirements. If final payments are due on or before 7/16/21, I would hope that a decision on the 2022 WC is determined by then.

Rob

6 minutes ago, H2O Polo Willie said:

If this cruise is not going to happen, I am sure the guests would like to know sooner rather than later to make alternate plans either on Crystal or otherwise.

Yes I agree with you - but it’s not like there are a lot of options for alternative cruises out there 

I’ll make the deposit on the LA-Auckland leg and we’ve booked our flights - but my expectations it will happen are only 50/50 at this stage - still there’s 10 months to go and a lot will (not might) happen in that time 

Many of us are in the same "boat" when it comes to WC 2022.

We can all speculate on this one but honestly it would be a guess.

The Bahama Itineraries are short and repetitive to keep things very simple.

Jack Anderson said the Caribbean will be a challenge as would traditional itineraries because they don't repeat, sail to multiple countries which present many challenges.

The COVID-19 virus has had many twists and turns.

Whenever we think we are getting it under control things open up and then shut down as we have been seeing in various countries.

The world cruise is as complex as it gets and this one is sailing many continents.

Unless you feel like you have to look in something else I would wait and see.  I would not book anything where you could not get money back such as a non refundable hotel or air fare or even tour.  Make sure whatever you book has an out.

I would think any world cruise would have the same challenges regardless of cruise line.

If you want to do something for sure during this time frame maybe look at a back up on land.

One of the things which worried me most are the variants.

Already some of the major companies are working on a booster which supposedly we would get later this year or early next year.

However, when does this all stop.  You get a booster but not everyone at once and what about all the people who can't get the vaccine or don't want to get it.  Ouch.

So let's hoe it happens but have a back up plan in mind so if it doesn't happen you have an alternative.

I really like this World Cruise as it will return to some ports Crystal hasn't been to for awhile and for those in the USA who want to do the entire thing they can do so without long haul flights.

This is where I say, time will tell.

Keith

We are booked on the LA to Auckland portion with our friends and fortunately have mileage tickets so we will lose nothing if the cruise is cancelled.

A World Cruise seems awfully complicated to pull off given the unknowns.  

Right now I wish some luxury cruise line would announce a very long cruise to nowhere, departing from a port I can get to easily.

Does any travel savy person know a port outside the carribbean that could or would do embarkation? I  do know you cN begin or end a cruise in central or South America but do you . How do you fly there besides on Americn.

We are booked on the WC 2022 and like many others we would love if it sails. However the reality at the moment shows that most countries will not be ready to open without restrictions. We hope that Crystal also recognizes this, and gives us notice rather sooner than later.

Ivi

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, ellbon said:

Does any travel savy person know a port outside the carribbean that could or would do embarkation? I  do know you cN begin or end a cruise in central or South America but do you . How do you fly there besides on Americn.

Panama? Panama is close to USA and as far as I know it has good flight connections to every where. You can fly there on Copa Airlines.

Ivi

Edited by travelberlin
Posted (edited)

If the CDC is still being unreasonable, and since Crystal is already using the Bahamas, it might make sense to begin WC 2022 there.  Crystal could provide high speed ferry transfers from Fort Lauderdale on embarkation day for passengers not wanting to fly to Bimini.  Passengers could also fly from their home airport to Nassau instead of Miami.  An LA alternative is a bit more complicated.  

Edited by Travel2Learn

A bit off topic, I heard yesterday at a TA meeting that pretty much every 2022 WC on premium and lux lines is sold out. Also interesting to hear that March was a particular agency's best ever booking month. The thirst to cruise is there (and the money that wasn't spent in 2020). The biggest variable (other than the CDC guidelines) continues to be the success of vaccination programs around the world to allow countries to open up their ports.

17 hours ago, travelberlin said:

Panama? Panama is close to USA and as far as I know it has good flight connections to every where. You can fly there on Copa Airlines.

Ivi

Maybe this cruise will start from there or Nassau 

13 hours ago, claudiaYVR said:

A bit off topic, I heard yesterday at a TA meeting that pretty much every 2022 WC on premium and lux lines is sold out. Also interesting to hear that March was a particular agency's best ever booking month. The thirst to cruise is there (and the money that wasn't spent in 2020). The biggest variable (other than the CDC guidelines) continues to be the success of vaccination programs around the world to allow countries to open up their ports.

I would just add Claudia and it does related to vaccinations is the issue of the variants and if there are issues with effectiveness of the vaccine and if not effective the side effects.  I just hope we can get this under control.  I am just seeing too many people both vaccinated and not vaccinated in photos at all sorts of events without masks on and absolutely no physical distancing and this makes me really nervous. 

Keith

I find Panama City a good port to start not only the world cruise but other cruises from Crystal from November 1st. It has an international Airport with flights from every where. It can be used from US Americans and from international guests. 
I have a 23 day cruise with the Serenity on November which was supposed to start and end in Miami. I wouldn’t mind if it leaves from Panama City instead of Miami. But Nassau is more difficult in terms of international connections. 
Ivi

1 hour ago, NCCruzQueen said:

As much as I want to take this cruise, I doubt that I will be making my final payment unless Crystal gives us full transparency about the cruise.  

Beth, have you jumped from Regent to Crystal?

1 hour ago, mrlevin said:

Beth, have you jumped from Regent to Crystal?

Mark,  we have been on a few Crystal cruises and took their World Cruise in 2016.  Still love a Regent!

For those booked on this cruise!

The due date for “full early payment” discount of 2.5% is April 22nd and final payment is due July 21st.  Considering all of the possible issues with this cruise, what are you doing in terms of final payment? Do you think that Crystal will extend the due dates?

Financially  earning 2.5% over the next 90 days would be difficult but do the risks out way the discount?  Each of us have to make our decision but I am interested in your comments.  

We are also booked on the 2023 WC and if the 22 cruise is canceled or significantly changed we could role our deposit over to that cruise.  I am concerned about Crystal’s future but willing to bet that they survive. (I am sure this statement is controversial but please accept my opinion.)

We  are booked on the LA to Monte Carlo segment so our dates are a bit different as I read the Crystal invoice - May 8 for early payment and August 6 for final payment.  That said there are lots of things going on with Crystal in terms of restructuring etc.  You might want to look at the Bankruptcy thread that outlines some of those issues and it has a link the their release of unaudited financial statements.  It is a matter of sharing information to enable all of us to make better informed decisions on questions like early payment.  I guess at this point we have some time to make a final decision.  It seems that there might be some announcements on sailings and possibly on financial matters.  That said at the current time we are not inclined to make the early payment.  Once they have your money it may be that they try to give you a FCC if something does blow up rather than a refund.   I don't really want to fight that kind of battle should it potentially occur.  And if something does blow up prior to the final payment date, I would rather have my money in my bank account rather than theirs with a need to seek a refund which past experience suggests could be problematic.  Just one person's view on this.  I am sure there are others.

2 hours ago, TRIPACIAN said:

Financially  earning 2.5% over the next 90 days would be difficult but do the risks out way the discount?  Each of us have to make our decision but I am interested in your comments.

Have you checked out the equity markets lately? Pretty much all countries have had good returns over the last 6 months - we’ll in excess of 2.5%. I think the risk associated with an investment in the markets (maybe an index fund as opposed o a single stock) is in reality no greater risk than prepaying with Crystal - and the upside opportunity is much better IMHO

13 hours ago, TRIPACIAN said:

For those booked on this cruise!

The due date for “full early payment” discount of 2.5% is April 22nd and final payment is due July 21st.  Considering all of the possible issues with this cruise, what are you doing in terms of final payment? Do you think that Crystal will extend the due dates?

We are also booked on the 2023 WC and if the 22 cruise is canceled or significantly changed we could role our deposit over to that cruise.  I am concerned about Crystal’s future but willing to bet that they survive. (I am sure this statement is controversial but please accept my opinion.)

We are booked on the cruise and will wait to do anything because I have my doubts about the ability to sail a World Cruise of this magnitude with COVID-19 out there.

Normally, I always make final payment early enough to get the 2.5% but have put this approach on-hold until we can get beyond COVID-19.

In the end it comes down to how you value the 2.5% savings versus how much risk you want to take making a final payment.  

I see the fact that they are planning Symphony cruises as positive along with the plans for Serenity.  

In our case we have quite a bit of money down on other cruises including money deposited way before COVID-19 happened along with money we rolled over from cancelled cruises.

Keith

I have mixed feelings. 
I reach out to a few cruise friends,

It is a lot if money to lose if we do nit go. No,I do not want to roll it over. Nothing booked on Crystal beyond WC. 

My thought process:

Do I think Crystal will survive?  Am I willing to bet a five figure deposit on their survival?

Do I think the 2022 WC will sail?  Am I willing to gamble an even larger sum of money (final payment) on that?

Do I think that if the 2022 WC sails, it will be an enjoyable trip with easy access to ports?  Am I willing to gamble that I will not be stuck on the ship and not permitted to disembark?  How about new virus variants? 

For me...I  had booked the 2022 WC and was enamored with the itinerary.  But as to my first point:  I think Crystal will survive, but I was unwilling to gamble my deposit on that outcome.  It took a long time, but I have received my deposit back less the $500.

No cruises booked.  I look forward to a trip within the U.S. this fall.  I will let others test the waters on cruises before I do so.