I think the first 2 legs of the world cruise are possible but then it would not be a world cruise.

My guest is that the itinerary will be altered, maybe shortened -- but some form of longer cruise will leave on the date the WC is supposed to sail.

2 hours ago, bitob said:

I think the first 2 legs of the world cruise are possible but then it would not be a world cruise.

My guest is that the itinerary will be altered, maybe shortened -- but some form of longer cruise will leave on the date the WC is supposed to sail.

I am not optimistic on the 2022 WC. The CDC has said the US restrictions will stay in place until November, which jeopardizes both of the first two segments if the restrictions are not lifted, or are not modified sufficiently, making Miami and LA unavailable. Would it make sense for Crystal to accept final payments in July without some assurance that Miami and LA are a go in January??

As to the rest of the itinerary, New Zealand and Australia are huge question marks. As Stickman has posted elsewhere, the Australian vaccine rollout has been slow and they are not projected to have second shots into everyone until at least December. Given the caution they have shown to date on international arriving travelers, and the success in keeping COVID under control, will they allow anyone in until after their vaccination plan is completed and deemed successful?? If not, and if NZ follows suit, that blows a 30 day long hole in the itinerary with very few available options to fill it.

We had booked the full 22 WC, but cut it back to Perth/Miami scheduled to sail March 11/22. Our final payment is due in early October and while I hope we get to board, I don't plan on booking any flights until a LOT closer to the cruise date than I normally would!    

I think the one thing that is for sure is that things will change between now and the sailing date.  Will it be a lot of changes ????  The question is do you have enough faith in Crystal to provide you with an enjoyable cruise even with some changes.  If the answer is yes - do it - if no then maybe you need to wait another couple of years.

Thanks for the reply’s, I am tending towards making the final payment in July and forgoing the discount.

Todays announcement from the CDC that it is safe for vaccinated persons to travel might lead to a game changing lifting of restrictions on cruises with 100% vaccinated passengers.  This could also lead to the lifting of restrictions on international flights between select countries.  

We are planning a non cruise Greek trip in late May based on the announcement from the Minister of Tourism that vaccinated persons from the USA could enter the country after May 14th.  Everything is booked with no deposits and I will probably have to cancel but I am keeping my fingers crossed.

My guess is we will know more before the final payments are due, not the early payment but final payment.

I would recommend not making any commitments to airlines, etc. until you know whether or not the World Cruise is sailing.

Given the uncertainty of COVID-19 and the need to lock in things before some of this is known I think the odds are much greater with respect to alternative itineraries in lieu of a world cruise. Just my gut feel as my gut feel a few months ago that most of the 2021 itineraries as we knew them would be cancelled.

Keith

5 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

My guess is we will know more before the final payments are due, not the early payment but final payment.

I would recommend not making any commitments to airlines, etc. until you know whether or not the World Cruise is sailing.

Given the uncertainty of COVID-19 and the need to lock in things before some of this is known I think the odds are much greater with respect to alternative itineraries in lieu of a world cruise. Just my gut feel as my gut feel a few months ago that most of the 2021 itineraries as we knew them would be cancelled.

Keith

I agree with you on this and see the 22 WC being totally changed.  We booked the 23 WC also and we plan on rolling our deposit into this cruise if  the 22 cruise is canceled or so severely modified that it really isn’t a WC as we wanted.

Does anyone have any idea when Crystal will inform us of changes?

We are on the first 2 legs -- LA /Auckland/ Perth

NZ and Australia are closed to tourism.

NO way to know what will happen.

2 hours ago, bitob said:

Does anyone have any idea when Crystal will inform us of changes?

We are on the first 2 legs -- LA /Auckland/ Perth

NZ and Australia are closed to tourism.

NO way to know what will happen.

Bitob,

I am on the World Cruise from LA - Miami and would really like some information.  Our final payment is due on August 6th.  I know all of us would like some solid information prior to our Final Payment date.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, NCCruzQueen said:

I know all of us would like some solid information prior to our Final Payment date.

In COVID time terms August is an eternity away - 5 months to go 

A decision now would be premature 

Like you our air is booked to be in LA to board the trans Pacific in Feb 2022 - but it’s fully refundable 😉

Edited by Stickman1990

I am going to book return air from Australia this week with miles -- fully refundable -- so no real concern on that end -- it's more about planning or looking for alternatives.

1 hour ago, bitob said:

I am going to book return air from Australia this week with miles -- fully refundable -- so no real concern on that end -- it's more about planning or looking for alternatives.

The final payment for the full WC out of Miami is due mid-July. After having to cancel the 2020 WC, I suspect Crystal will wait as long as they can to make a decision on WC 2022. Just a WAG (Wild Ass Guess) on my part, but I would not expect anything before mid-June. As I posted earlier, we are scheduled to board in Perth mid-March, but I won't be making flight reservations until very late in the game!

23 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

Like you our air is booked to be in LA to board the trans Pacific in Feb 2022 - but it’s fully refundable 😉

Terry, we booked a changeable (no fully refundable available) flight this week for a dirt cheap non-stop flight.  

Just read an article stating that oz and nz may not reopen for tourism until 2024

i hope crystal is reading the same stuff and figuring out what to do about the wc

45 minutes ago, bitob said:

Just read an article stating that oz and nz may not reopen for tourism until 2024

Do you believe everything you read reported in the press?

2024? - unlikely IMHO

17 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

Do you believe everything you read reported in the press?

2024? - unlikely IMHO

The “news” came from a private sector economists comments/prediction - not from any offical Government source. Can you imagine an economy staying closed down for that long?

https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/international-travel-for-australians-likely-wont-return-until-2024/news-story/310c4c272e77e356f4e001e0a839820a

Now whether it’s open in Feb 2022 is a different matter - my own guess is it’s still a 50/50 call - in reality no one knows at this point 

6 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

The “news” came from a private sector economists comments/prediction - not from any offical Government source. Can you imagine an economy staying closed down for that long?

https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/international-travel-for-australians-likely-wont-return-until-2024/news-story/310c4c272e77e356f4e001e0a839820a

Now whether it’s open in Feb 2022 is a different matter - my own guess is it’s still a 50/50 call - in reality no one knows at this point 

I totally agree with all of that, plus there is a HUGE difference between “travel might not return to pre-pandemic levels until 2024” and “all borders remaining closed until 2024.”  The article cites the former, not the latter.  It says that one reason travel numbers may be down is because some border restrictions may remain, but that is a FAR cry from where they are today.

Vince

I am booked on the 2022 Crystal World cruise and I can NOT see how this cruise can possibly depart as planned at this stage, even with vaccines going into people's arms as I write.

I apologize if I am negative and sound like I am raining on my and your WC parade, but that's my view at this stage. It's one point debating where the cruise can leave from, if Miami and LA are out, and debate whether Panama City is a good option. But regardless if the ship leaves from Panama or Bimini or ???, the next big question is where does one think the ship can go after that by early next year??? Most of the world is closed at this point and I don't see many countries welcoming cruise ships by early next year. I hope that I am proven wrong. 

There is a very strong probability of this beautiful 2022 WC itinerary ending up on the chopping block and greatly changed to into a new beast, which hardly resembles the originally planned 2022 WC itinerary. So, in that event ……

My question is: when this cruise is either cancelled or changed so much to the point that it is no longer a WC, what options do you think Crystal will give us?  I assume a rebooking on a later cruise with some possible future credit? A refund (and we grab our rosary beads and pray that it will happen)???  Or a combination of FCC and refund? I am at the point of trying to figure out what my options will be when this cruise cancels or drastically changes to where  I no longer am interested to go. I am new to Crystal and canceled cruises, so I am curious to hear comments from experienced Crystal cruisers.

7 minutes ago, Funatabi said:

I am booked on the 2022 Crystal World cruise and I can NOT see how this cruise can possibly depart as planned at this stage, even with vaccines going into people's arms as I write.

I apologize if I am negative and sound like I am raining on my and your WC parade, but that's my view at this stage. It's one point debating where the cruise can leave from, if Miami and LA are out, and debate whether Panama City is a good option. But regardless if the ship leaves from Panama or Bimini or ???, the next big question is where does one think the ship can go after that by early next year??? Most of the world is closed at this point and I don't see many countries welcoming cruise ships by early next year. I hope that I am proven wrong. 

There is a very strong probability of this beautiful 2022 WC itinerary ending up on the chopping block and greatly changed to into a new beast, which hardly resembles the originally planned 2022 WC itinerary. So, in that event ……

My question is: when this cruise is either cancelled or changed so much to the point that it is no longer a WC, what options do you think Crystal will give us?  I assume a rebooking on a later cruise with some possible future credit? A refund (and we grab our rosary beads and pray that it will happen)???  Or a combination of FCC and refund? I am at the point of trying to figure out what my options will be when this cruise cancels or drastically changes to where  I no longer am interested to go. I am new to Crystal and canceled cruises, so I am curious to hear comments from experienced Crystal cruisers.

Although several of us are experienced Crystal Cruisers that really doesn't help us on this one.

Should the World Cruise be cancelled and Crystal does what they have done for the prior cruises than you would have the option of asking for a refund if the cruise is canceled or using the money you have already deposited for the World Cruise for a future cruise credit with some additional credits for the amount you paid absent if you applied coupons to the amount or a potion of the amount from prior cancellations.

There are days when I think the WC won't happen, days when I think it will happen but the window to let people know hopefully will close soon.

Keith

7 minutes ago, Funatabi said:

As with virtually every post on this topic, this is pure speculation, or as I called it in Post #36 above, a WAG (Wild Assed Guess).

Anecdotally, the 2023 WC has been vey popular, so any re-booking would likely be on the 2024 WC, whenever that gets announced. If the cancellation/alteration happens before the final payment, I would expect an offer of a Future Cruise Payment (your money) of the deposit amount, plus an FCC for any additional incentive bonus (15%?), with an option to request a refund of the deposit amount, forfeiting the additional XX% FCC. After the final payment date, I would expect the usual FCC/Bonus amount, or the option to request a full refund.

With the CDC apparently indicating that US citizens should not travel to 80 countries worldwide as I understand it due to Covid issues, that would seem to make things a bit problematic although their authority is not worldwide and only suffices as a recommendation.  But lots of countries are well behind us in terms of vaccination so it is pretty hard to figure out what will and what will not be open.  Loving the 2022 itinerary but given the uncertainty, we moved to the 2023 world cruise instead which also has a good itinerary.  If things are not straightened out by then - both in terms of ports and countries being open and with Crystal's financial situation - we will have much bigger problems.

10 hours ago, H2O Polo Willie said:

But lots of countries are well behind us in terms of vaccination so it is pretty hard to figure out what will and what will not be open.  Loving the 2022 itinerary but given the uncertainty, we moved to the 2023 world cruise instead which also has a good itinerary.  If things are not straightened out by then - both in terms of ports and countries being open and with Crystal's financial situation - we will have much bigger problems.

I agree on all counts.  We also moved our 2022 WC to 2023.  I actually like the ports better in 2023, except for the embarkation and debarkation ports.  I really liked the idea of a round trip out of LA so that we would have been able to drive to the port.

Booked the Miami to Los Angeles segment and hope that it will go. Since embarkation and debarkation are at U.S ports I believe that it has a good change to go. Once Serenity is in LA Crystal can develop Pacific Coast options or hopefully, continue the WC.