So what is your dealbreaker that will keep you away from cruising?

RoyalC

The cost.  I frequently cruise solo.  Higher prices when cruising finally resumes will be a struggle.  I am also concerned about cutbacks in food and service. These cruise companies have been bleeding money for 12months.  Cutbacks are to be expected.

• Like 2

Deal breaker would be masks are required.  If the vaccine is so incredibly awesome and required for cruising, and masks are required....that wouldn't say much to me about the overall confidence in the vaccine.

A bit concerned about the timing of the inevitable boosters as well....hope they don't interfere w/ booked cruises (needing a short notice booster before going on the 'next' cruise).

Edited by bucfan2
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, bucfan2 said:

Deal breaker would be masks are required.  If the vaccine is so incredibly awesome and required for cruising, yet masks are required as well....doesn't say much to me about the overall confidence in the vaccine.

A bit concerned about the timing of the inevitable boosters....hope they don't interfere w/ booked cruises (needing a short notice booster before going on the 'next' cruise).

I do think that by early summer we will know if the variants pose a real threat or not.  Right now confirmed cases are slowly rising in the US which may or may not be attributed to the variants, but if they become a problem then yes I can see where boosters may also be required.  Based on what I have been reading the earliest they might be available is sometime in the fall and that could be problematic to cruising.

So glad I only have one L&S cruise book for November, with a very modest amount of money invested.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, kastke said:

There are plenty of destinations in the US to explore and vacation at until the Covid test requirement goes away. We did it last year safely with driving trips, and have more planned this year, both flying and driving. 

Exactly this.  No cruising doesn't have to mean no vacation.  We are doing a very leisurely 3 week "drive from home" thing soon and have booked a long drive through the Southwest for Fall.  We had planned the Baltic and Japan but will wait for 2022 for those.  We're not going to do nothing just because we can't cruise. In the meantime, should any cruises out of New York actually sail we will book last minute because we do miss cruising.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PCWalton1 said:

Dealbreaker - ignorant people

Ideally these people will not even make it on board and if they do and will not comply with the rules and regulations of the cruiseline will be sent home at the next port.

#1 deal-breaker for us would be cruise line shore excursions only. We want to be able to explore on our own when in port.

#2 would be PCR tests as we're fully vaccinated, the test is just downright unpleasant, and why risk a false positive?

We could deal with masks on a limited basis & social distancing is no problem unless some venues were unavailable due to a limited number being able to enter.

We have a road trip planned in June and will reschedule our cruise in October & fly to somewhere in the U.S. if restrictions are not eased by then and/or if our cruise is canceled.

With that said, we've written to our Senators and Representative asking them to urge the CDC to allow cruises to resume here, and we can't wait to start cruising again!

Crystal, who requires that all passengers be vaccinated, is now allowing them to tour independently in port!  I sure hope this spreads to other cruise lines. 

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5996/?cache=reset&et_cid=3419140&et_rid=159895521&et_referrer=newsletterPopup

Edited by NikiPinkston
Unintended image attached
  • Like 2

The deal breaker for us would be not having any test cruises conducted this summer to see which virus/vaccine protocols actually work. Getting on board without knowing whether we could be stuck in quarantine for weeks in our cabins doesn't sound like a vacation. More like an ordeal by fire.

Those first cruises from foreign ports will hopefully offer some reassurance that things are getting back on track. It would be very hard to board any ship from an American port right now as our state governments has been the most irresponsible on the planet.

People are now getting sick with the new variants while many of our states drop all health precautions. This really doesn't seem to make much sense as only about a fourth of our adult population has been fully vaccinated.

Europe is witnessing a third major surge and having trouble certifying their vaccination programs. The cruises from Israel might be the best indicators of wear the industry will stand by fall.

We are going to go ahead and book two cruises for next year in both Alaska for the summer and a Halloween cruise in the Southern Caribbean. Hopefully  by then, Canada and the ABC islands will have found a way to trust US citizens not to act like this thing is still a hoax.

On 4/1/2021 at 7:42 PM, dswallow said:

I'm simply suggesting that being vaccinated doesn't mean you can't spread an infection to others who are not. Being vaccinated is protecting you and lessening the chance you may pass an infection to others, especially those who are unvaccinated, but not in any way eliminating that possibility. 

(Plagiarizing @david_sobe here): Vaccine studies are still ongoing but the first few studies have shown that the vaccine prevents spread of the virus.  Last week, the first major study came out on the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines and it shows that not only do they 90% prevent infection but they also have a very high rate of preventing spread, even in those who are asymptomatic.  Granted, this is only one major study but the news last week on several vaccine studies were extremely positive.  Here is just one link to the study report.  Long story short, the vaccine does seem to stop spread even in those who never get symptoms.

CDC: Pfizer, Moderna Vaccines 90% Effective, Real-World Data Shows (businessinsider.com)

• Like 1

A lot of people say masks are a deal breaker.

It isn’t for me. I have worn a mask 8-10hrs a workday for the past 9 months. I have also gone to Vegas three times, Orlando twice and Hawaii. All since last July; two of the Vegas trips and both Orlando trips were during peak surges at the time.

Masks haven’t hindered any experience in any of my travels/vacation. 

Having to take ship excursions is disappointing but not a deal breaker. And the doesn’t matter much for the Adventure of the Seas cruises. It’s annoying for Cozumel because the all inclusive beach resort I always do isn’t offered. The Caribbean is the Caribbean and I don’t cruise for the excursions there anyways. If it was Alaska or Europe I might be a little more annoyed.

I have two deal breakers.

First there is the requirement that to get off the ship in a POC you have to be taking a ship excursion. I have been to some of the ports in the Caribbean enough that a few local guides and waiters recognize me by sight when I show up. I also do not like the rushed stops many of the ship excursions make. Local tour operators in many cases can provide a better excursion at a better price than the ship does as well.

Second I live in Alabama and am not interested in paying the round trip airfare and associated food and logging costs involved with flying to a Caribbean port. I have driven to port with the exception of one cruise since I relocated to Alabama in 2004. That exception was for an 11 night Carnival Journey cruise which was a one way sailing from San Juan to Miami. I left my car in Miami and flew to San Juan. I can be to any cruise port along the Gulf Coast and Atlantic Ports from Galveston, TX to Charleston, SC in an easy 2 day drive each way and the round trip distance from Galveston and Miami from where I live is almost identical; Miami is 14 miles farther; and Charleston is closer that both.

Edited by LeeRB

Deal breakers for me:

1. Masks

2. Limited excursions

3. Social distancing on the ship that requires reservations for everything such as the pool, bars, etc.

4. If a covid case is found on the ship it will not disrupt the itinerary or change the end point.

• Like 2

As a Floridian, I expect the same protocols used in the state.  Florida Governor Ron De Santos, has given us, a common sense approach to Corona, which should be adopted by all ships leaving Floridian ports. For me personally, here is a short list:

1.  Forcing mask compliance, as it is not required in the State of Florida.

2.  Mandating Corona vaccine, as this remans unproven and is not required for Floridians.

3.  Forcing social distancing, with a vessel at low capacity. Not required in Florida.

4.  Mandatory ship shore excursions, as such practices are illegal in Florida.

5.  Restrictions of food & beverage, as that is not done in Miami-Dade (Spring Break Riots excluded).

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, gkbiiii said:

As a Floridian, I expect the same protocols used in the state.  Florida Governor Ron De Santos, has given us, a common sense approach to Corona, which should be adopted by all ships leaving Floridian ports. For me personally, here is a short list:

1.  Forcing mask compliance, as it is not required in the State of Florida.

2.  Mandating Corona vaccine, as this remans unproven and is not required for Floridians.

3.  Forcing social distancing, with a vessel at low capacity. Not required in Florida.

4.  Mandatory ship shore excursions, as such practices are illegal in Florida.

5.  Restrictions of food & beverage, as that is not done in Miami-Dade (Spring Break Riots excluded).

RCL is not a Floridian cruiseline and when it comes to health and safety protocols RCL and only them will decide what is required or not onboard and will sure offer strickter rulesand regulations than following what a State is doing.

Just now, LXA350 said:

RCL is not a Floridian cruiseline and when it comes to health and safety protocols RCL and only them will decide what is required or not onboard and will sure offer strickter rulesand regulations than following what a State is doing.

Operating their headquarters & sailing from Floridian ports, is a privilege, not a right. 

4 minutes ago, gkbiiii said:

Operating their headquarters & sailing from Floridian ports, is a privilege, not a right. 

And the Gov. DeSantis isn't going to restrict their ability to reopen if that is what is required from the CDC.  He just wants them open so that the other industries that benefit from them being open can begin to make money.

1 minute ago, gkbiiii said:

On the Carnival board, there are discussing De Santos's banning of Vaccine Passports.  So the cruise industry better take the hint, from our governor! 

SMH, Read his statement it was totally about local businesses.

• Like 2