The Daily for Wednesday Mar 31, 2021

richwmn

Good Morning Everyone from a war, and bright day at the beach.

I dont care for ham but love asparagus. Think I would rather have Roy`s alternative suggestion.    Love crayons, always have some in the house. 

Today is DS birthday. He would like ribs for dinner and I ordered his cake from Publix. It will be just 6 of us. Cant believe my baby is 38!

Never been to a dance marathon but love to dance!

11 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Happy Wednesday morning!  Thanks to all for your concern over my DMIL.  We will be getting news later after the hospice nurse visits and evaluates her and that is around lunch time.  Yesterday she fed MIL her lunch since she couldn't see well and was hungry, of course.  I really want to hear she can see better and speak better too.  I wish we could run over and visit, but since I don't live 4 miles away like other close relatives do, I can't.  😪

Hoping you get good news about your DMIL. It is very hard living away from family. We will keep all of you in our thoughts and prayers.

Be safe and enjoy today.

• Like 18

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  When I hear the words dance marathon, I remember the movie "They Shoot Horses, Don't They" with Jane Fonda and Michael Sarazin.  A question - am I the only person in the world (besides DH) who has never wanted to go to Paris?  I know there are lots of wonderful galleries and museums, but it just hasn't called to me.  I remember opening a fresh box of crayons (we could never afford the 64 count) at the beginning of the school year - as a child, I remember inhaling the smell and being absolutely delighted.

I'm starting to get a wee bit excited because tomorrow is my first Covid jab.  Initially I made an appointment in our city, but it was about 3 weeks out; being impatient for some protection, I checked around and discovered that if we drove about 1.5 hrs from here, I can get it this week.  Yesss!   Original cancelled, new one booked!

I like ham and asparagus, but that's what I had planned for the 2 of us for Easter Sunday dinner, so will take today's recipe for my file for later.  For tonight it's time to eat from the freezer again, so it's looking like we'll have pulled pork sandwiches and coleslaw for dinner.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them - so sorry to learn of the departure of Kiwi Kruser - and even for those who don't think they do.  We'll clink the wine glasses together tonight to celebrate all on the happy list.  Stay well, be safe, wash your hands and wear your mask.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 23

Good morning Rich and thanks for the Daily. Blessings to my sisters, Roy, and all who contribute. 

I also got my Mahjongg card in the mail yesterday.  Just in time to play with my group today. I'm hosting this week. Wish we could sit on our patio but the flagstone was just sealed and needs 72 hours to cure..

Our hummingbirds are showing up and they are hungry! I have 3 feeders now and I just noticed 1 is getting pretty low. We also had a turkey gobbling away on our fence yesterday afternoon. I hope he does not make a habit of hanging around. 

We have been to Paris. The Eiffel Tower was closed for a few days, but opened a few days before we left. Love Paris..

Prayers and Cheers.

• Like 19

1 hour ago, summer slope said:

Happy Wednesday.  Like others I've never been in a dance marathon.  Would love to visit Paris.  Have a picture of DD in front of the Effiel Tower from a visit to a friend in France.  As an elementary teacher I've been around crayons most of my life.  The meal sounds good, will tuck that away for another time.

Prayers and toasts to our lists, happy the celebration list is so much longer than the prayer list.

Stay safe, social distance, and please continue to wear your mask.

Sazerac:

The Sazerac is a local variation of a cognac or whiskey cocktail originally from New Orleans, named for the Sazerac de Forge et Fils brand of cognac brandy that served as its original main ingredient. Wikipedia
Ingredients: 1 1/2 oz Rye whiskey or Cognac, 1/4 oz Absinthe, One sugar cube, Three dashes Peychaud's Bitters
Preparation: Rinse a chilled old-fashioned glass with the absinthe, add crushed ice and set it aside. Stir the remaining ingredients over ice and set it aside. Discard the ice and any excess absinthe from the prepared glass, and strain the drink into the glass. Add the Lemon peel for garnish.

Screen Shot 2021-03-31 at 8.25.08 AM.png

Thanks for the information. I don't think I have ever had RYE Wwhisket.

• Like 6

Good Morning everyone. Thank you for the updates.  I do like ham and asparagus and often add an egg, English muffin and hollandaise and call it brunch.  Here is a remember when - remember when you had real truffle shaved on to your eggs Benedict for MDR breakfast.  

And the vaccine news just keeps getting better. Those vaccinated do not pass the virus, one vaccine is going to FDA for approval down to age 12, one vaccine maker is ramping up its Canadian operations and even more.  Oh happy day and blessings to those pharmaceutical scientists.  

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 19

I've just realized our very first time to Santa Cruz de la Tenerife, Canary Islands was on a Celebrity cruise, a transatlantic from Civitavecchia to Fort Lauderdale.  That has been our only Celebrity cruise because we didn't enjoy the atmosphere and the food was so mediocre.  Even our tablemates who were cruising Celebrity a lot were disappointed.  They actually sent back their dinners several times.  So that makes three times there.  It's a lovely city so I recommend a cruise stopping there for everyone once we get back to the sea again.

Our second time to Santa Cruz de la Tenerife in the Canary Islands was on March 31, 2018.  The Prinsendam had a scheduled overnight there so HAL took the opportunity to hire some divers to work on cutting off the fishing nets which were wrapped around a propeller.  Always something exciting happening on a cruise, right?enhance

Actually as seen in this photo that day we had other maintenance going on as well.  Not to mention a fuel barge on the scene.  I sure do miss our home away from home, the Prinsendam.  enhance

It wasn't busy in town yet.enhance

Using the maps HAL gave us we made a point to stop at certain sites like the La Recova Mercado, the local marketplace.  It is just across this bridge.enhance

enhance

Quite a selection of produce.enhance

And yummy baked goods.enhance

And flowers, @kazu!!enhance

From there we walked to a spot where we could see the Auditorio de Tenerife, an arts venue in a wavelike structure.enhance

We went over to a high spot nearby to get some photos of the town.  The architecture was so charming and colorful.enhance

Time to head over to that church.enhance

The name of it is Iglesia de Nuestra Senora de la Concepcion and it was completed around 1502.  Very pretty!enhance

After seeing the church we went to a nearby plaza.  enhance

It's the Plaza Munoz de Bustillo complete with a cool pool of water.enhance

enhance

Great statuary around the edges of the Plaza.enhance

That night we had Spanish Night as our themed dinner and I have to show off our favorite waiter Riris and assistant waiter Ardian.enhance

On our Dec. 2018 Pacific Princess cruise we walked to a tram line and bought tickets to take us to La Laguna just to get a change of scenery.  It was Christmas season so we saw some holiday decorating.  It was a nice diversion but we really think Santa Cruz de la Tenerife has a lot more to offer. enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Enough from me.  But for old time's sake, do you miss these days?   Watching the pilot leave as off we go to the next port?enhance

• Like 29

26 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Good Morning everyone. Thank you for the updates.  I do like ham and asparagus and often add an egg, English muffin and hollandaise and call it brunch.  Here is a remember when - remember when you had real truffle shaved on to your eggs Benedict for MDR breakfast.  

And the vaccine news just keeps getting better. Those vaccinated do not pass the virus, one vaccine is going to FDA for approval down to age 12, one vaccine maker is ramping up its Canadian operations and even more.  Oh happy day and blessings to those pharmaceutical scientists.  

I heard this morning that Pfizer has finished trials on teens 12 to 15 and their vaccine is 100% effective on that age group.  Wow!

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning and Thank You for the Daily.✏️

We were in Paris for Bastille Day and it was a zoo🤓 (years ago for 3 days ~could easily have stayed longer). I usually buy one of those Top Ten books and just check off the sites.✔️

As others, we visited three of the Canaries but from other ships. 🛳️

🙏 Prayers to all in need! 🙏

248821-Good-Morning-Happy-Last-Day-March.-Welcome-April.jpg

• Like 19

Good morning from a very cloudy and very windy central Texas.  March is definitely going out like a lion not a lamb.  

We have been to Tenerife twice.  The first time was 21 years ago tomorrow on the P&O Oriana' on their world cruise.  The last time was in 2009 on the Tahitian Princess.  Both times we rented cars and drove around the island.  The mountain in 2000 was shrouded in clouds, so we did not drive to the top.  In 2009, it was clear, so we were able to drive up there and take the gondola to the top.

I'll start with the sun rise that greeted us in 2000 as we sailed into port and the view from the ship when we docked.  (We got up a lot earlier in those days.)

P3310785.thumb.JPG.f68ff76378d248c820b9495f157b61dd.JPG

P4010786.thumb.JPG.9be1e89683a437557323bd4843736b89.JPG

This also from our 2000 visit.  It is another view of the church @StLouisCruisers posted.

P4010788.thumb.JPG.443a2a9e961f0b75804caa0eb2dbe9fd.JPG

This is a different view of the Auditorio de Tenerife which was taken in 2009.  

IMG_7355.thumb.JPG.8cd6c8abec5c0c7c779e917d08ec346e.JPG

The gondola we took to the mountain top, and looking down into the crater.  The area around the mountain looked like a moonscape.

IMG_7290.thumb.JPG.ed9daacd8407aeb1f048ee9281d873be.JPG

IMG_7292.thumb.JPG.5ac9ff07145f2690af9c629361234893.JPG

I thought this statue was interesting.

IMG_7340.thumb.JPG.ba31b101943714431ee5e5839a1f7986.JPG

What would a visit to a Spanish island be like without a picture of the bull ring?

IMG_7341.thumb.JPG.25881088d3276d84d52c38f264b24959.JPG

And finally, the view from our ship as we sailed.

IMG_7358.thumb.JPG.27a915e99325670c1924ea049596041b.JPG

Lenda

• Like 29

5 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good morning from a very cloudy and very windy central Texas.  March is definitely going out like a lion not a lamb.  

We have been to Tenerife twice.  The first time was 21 years ago tomorrow on the P&O Oriana' on their world cruise.  The last time was in 2009 on the Tahitian Princess.  Both times we rented cars and drove around the island.  The mountain in 2000 was shrouded in clouds, so we did not drive to the top.  In 2009, it was clear, so we were able to drive up there and take the gondola to the top.

I'll start with the sun rise that greeted us in 2000 as we sailed into port and the view from the ship when we docked.  (We got up a lot earlier in those days.)

P3310785.thumb.JPG.f68ff76378d248c820b9495f157b61dd.JPG

P4010786.thumb.JPG.9be1e89683a437557323bd4843736b89.JPG

This also from our 2000 visit.  It is another view of the church @StLouisCruisers posted.

P4010788.thumb.JPG.443a2a9e961f0b75804caa0eb2dbe9fd.JPG

This is a different view of the Auditorio de Tenerife which was taken in 2009.  

IMG_7355.thumb.JPG.8cd6c8abec5c0c7c779e917d08ec346e.JPG

The gondola we took to the mountain top, and looking down into the crater.  The area around the mountain looked like a moonscape.

IMG_7290.thumb.JPG.ed9daacd8407aeb1f048ee9281d873be.JPG

IMG_7292.thumb.JPG.5ac9ff07145f2690af9c629361234893.JPG

I thought this statue was interesting.

IMG_7340.thumb.JPG.ba31b101943714431ee5e5839a1f7986.JPG

What would a visit to a Spanish island be like without a picture of the bull ring?

IMG_7341.thumb.JPG.25881088d3276d84d52c38f264b24959.JPG

And finally, the view from our ship as we sailed.

IMG_7358.thumb.JPG.27a915e99325670c1924ea049596041b.JPG

Lenda

Thanks for your beautiful pictures.  There's a lot to see and do there.  Going up to the mountain and riding the gondola sounds like fun.

• Like 11

Yes to asparagus, as often as it is available.  Yes to Crayons, I'll bring them out for Darling Granddaughters' visit (who are in the area for their school spring break). Their other Grandmother, just a few years younger than the rest of us, is eligible tomorrow for the vaccine and has an appointment in the morning!   Jackpot!   

• Like 16

We have stopped at Santa Cruz de Tenerife five times on Transatlantics.  

December, 2007 (=X= Century).  We took a ship tour to Mt. Tiede.  

100_2294.thumb.jpg.f9ba20cc0e15ec5016a3c94cb76a8aeb.jpg

May, 2011 (Navigator OTS) we just walked around town, the photos were of places @StLouis Cruiser has already posted.

December, 2012 (=X= Constellation) another ship tour this time up the green side of the island. 

DSC04357.thumb.jpg.f25631a59a95ecbf35b99419e99d76ba.jpg

December, 2017 (Pacific Princess) we just walked around town and visited the Mercado as @StLouis Cruiser has already reported.  This was another sculpture outside the Mercado.

DSC00482.thumb.jpg.7fb8a3988223a04d9245e8760c2a001e.jpg

Most recent was November 10, 2019, on the now departed Rotterdam VI.  Sadly, that was also the very last cruise we have taken. 😭

DSCF4157.thumb.jpg.a681e62f4a4383bf00802ad6bdf8d73c.jpg

I first went to Paris in 1972, then did an overnight from LeHavre in 2012;  but always wanted to go back in April (“April in Paris”).  So, in April, 2017, we did a TA from Fort Lauderdale to Hamburg on Regal Princess then took the train from Hamburg to Berlin for a few days then on to Paris – it was magical!

DSCF1947.thumb.jpg.983821882f3cefadc12d9124edd64922.jpg

• Like 24

Good morning all. I’m not sad to see March go as I look forward to warmer weather. It is hard to want to work outside even with bright sunshine when the temperature is still below freezing. The sad thing is, we had four wildfires last weekend. Eight miles away it was only 60 acres but 40 miles away it was 873 acres. I hope we are getting the fires out of the way early and there will be no more for the summer.  Thanks Rich and all who share. The pictures are great. 

• Like 19

Good morning, all! I’ve never been to Paris, or Tenerife, but hopefully that will change. And as much as I like both ham and asparagus, prime rib will always get my vote when it’s a choice!

Another beautiful day on the island! It’s still cold, but that will change in a few hours. So yard work and wood splitting is on the agenda for today. Then when the rain comes back in a few days, we can it in front of the woodstove feeling cozy. This afternoon we go to our friends house for outdoor socially distanced drinks. @DeeniEncinitasthank you for your kind words yesterday. I hope your last day on vaccination duty goes well, and you get a well deserved rest after! It is people like you steadily and quietly working to pull us all out of the current mess that will save us in the end. Thank you!
Stay safe, and Happy Wednesday from our BHB’s and their elevator mats!

FF04C981-6B26-4DE3-89EE-881BDBE357FC.thumb.jpeg.3c206c422862de8681de73ec436d39ed.jpeg

• Like 23

Good morning everyone. It is chilly here this morning, but warmer weather is coming in the next few days. It was well below freezing when I walked the dogs this morning and last night when I took them out for their final business trip I nearly blew away. Winds were strong and late into the night but today is calm. And downtown they are busily getting the "bump-outs" built for dining. Some are already up and open, but I find that with temps in the low 40's I really am not in the mood for outdoor dining.

Have been to Paris several times, the first time being just after WWII when it was something of a mess. (London looked pretty awful on that trip also).  Have made several trips back since and really enjoy it each time, but I have never been all the way up in the Eiffel tower. Don't know why I didn't. Guess I will just have to go back. The sacrifices we have to make.

Belated congratulations to those celebrating anniversaries, and best wishes to those with health problems or families with health issues. It is so hard to be at distance these days. But as long as the vaccines keep coming, I have high hopes. I really would like to see some of my family who are all in the mid-west or on the east coast. And then there is cruising.....

Susan

• Like 19

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

HAPPY HUMP DAY!! Leaving less than an hour tonight I will relax with The Daily👍
Have a great day all!

image.thumb.jpeg.0f670beccef34c3491f010e33375dd80.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.6a41230d1ae1169183744f31bd76423c.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.960cddf556029498694230472e8dbabd.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.160437f8b4f5099ffa5e60475159095d.jpeg

🌺🌺 

I love today’s Eiffel Tower Day! Always and forever a special place for us!

I will see you all later!

Have a great day

Denise😊

• Like 20

13 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Nikonites

I have a well-used 64 count box of crayons with Built-in Sharpener in my cupboard right now.  I'm ready in case I get the urge to buy a coloring book.  And I agree, I would have loved one of those big crayon boxes when I was 9.

• Like 18

Good morning all!

We're finally getting a slow warming trend, today is supposed to get just up to under 60F 🙂  Still cold at night, but I'm loving these drier, warmer days lately.

Paris has always had a special place in my heart, especially the Eiffel Tower.  Our first visit was in 1999 for our 20th anniversary.   I think that may have been the only time we've gone up to the top.  We've been there a few times since then, spring has always been my favorite time there.

We have a lot of crayons here because of the grandsons, I think their favorite thing to do with them is to "draw" on hot rocks with melting crayons.  You put the rocks in the oven for a few minutes, and let them get creative.  It really makes some beautiful artwork.

Will pass on the ham, not sure what we'll have tonight.  Another port I've never visited, a big thank you to those who posted photos. 🙂  

@kazuthe number of your seedlings is amazing!!  I wish I had sunny windows, but alas have only one that gets sun.  So I just have some Cosmos and Sweet Peas started -- will see how they do. Have never grown Cosmos from seed, Sweet Peas many times.

@mamaofamigreat news that your DH had no bad reaction to his 2nd jab.

@ger_77congrats on getting your 1st jab tomorrow!

Here are a couple of my favorite photos of the Eiffel Tower taken on different trips.

Springtime in Paris ❤️

670235306_EiffelTowerandblossoms.thumb.JPG.4ce919f5dca5eeb4a0c091b7e68855ca.JPG

222242389_EiffelTowernight.thumb.jpg.a65eb2190d880c482a4cf845f721cd16.jpg

• Like 22

Good morning, all!😀  Interesting day today.  We visited three islands in the Canaries in 2014 on Maasdam's Atlantic Adventurer.  One of our best cruises - 42 days of fun and luxury!  Pat's father is buried in Las Palmas, so that was our most important stop, but Tenerife was very interesting, a tour with a group from CC to a number of spots on the island, including Mt. Teide.  Our first stop was La Laguna, where we walked and visited a house called the Casa de los Balcones, and saw the only canaries I have seen in the Canaries!  And also where Agatha Christie had a home.  We saw a 1,000 year-ole "dragon tree".  Then we drove above the clouds to visit Mt.  Teide, which at 12,231 feet, is the highest mountain in Spain.

Canaries 

P1070252.thumb.JPG.ae3a9ad85b32ad37ba41f4d9ecdc5059.JPG

Agatha Christie's house

P1070388.thumb.JPG.d7e72ce57579f9900a8b64b3c8947697.JPG

Thousand year old dragon tree

P1070285.thumb.JPG.f159fd543e80efac46d2e049d0b4b47e.JPG

Above the clouds

P1070326.thumb.JPG.fcfed96a8457e0e9437e51a0d70d09b3.JPG

Mt. Teide

P1070421.thumb.JPG.713e1849ea9b0d2b74abcb2bf8ffc7d9.JPG

P1070310.thumb.JPG.1f02c6c71b7879eabc4914b101f69205.JPG

• Like 23