The Last Cruise HBO

dkjretired

We also saw the special.  It really helps us to understand just how horrible the situation was.  This is why we have to take all of these measures to ensure the health of passengers and crew members.

We cannot wait to sail- but when it is safe!  Got our vaccinations and feel much safer now.  Still wearing masks and social distancing for now.  Cancelled our August cruise and hope to sail again in January.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Yes, we felt like it's much better to be informed.  I felt bad for the passengers and I felt horrible for the crew!

This will not change our cruise plans at all though.  The world is in a much better place now, thankfully

• Like 1

Thanks to the Diamond Princess we learned that the virus can be spread by asymptomatic transmission and airborne transmission.

I would have liked knowing the outcome for the two women who tested + and were whisked away to the hospital as well as the number of crew infected and whether any of them passed away since only the pax data was shared.

I was appalled by the "Karen" who commented that with the cabin quarantine for guests the crew was not as friendly since they wouldn't be getting the tips they normally would.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

TMLA alum - I thought at the credits at the end of the movie there were short glimpses of most of the passengers and crew seen earlier in the movie - including the infected passengers. Crew members shown back in their homelands and some even expressing willingness to work again on ships.

I noticed it mentioned number of passengers that died but not crew.

Many of the shots they showed of the crew and stateroom TV feed were quite  impressive / positive as to attitudes of the staff and cruise line. It was an interesting show.

• Like 1

We watched this program and found it interesting but also disturbing.   I think it was difficult looking at it with today's knowledge rather than what was actually known at the time.  I did feel sorry for the crew as well s the passengers.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, TMLAalum said:

Thanks to the Diamond Princess we learned that the virus can be spread by asymptomatic transmission and airborne transmission.

I would have liked knowing the outcome for the two women who tested + and were whisked away to the hospital as well as the number of crew infected and whether any of them passed away since only the pax data was shared.

I was appalled by the "Karen" who commented that with the cabin quarantine for guests the crew was not as friendly since they wouldn't be getting the tips they normally would.

I said the same thing!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, suec12 said:

Many of the shots they showed of the crew and stateroom TV feed were quite  impressive / positive as to attitudes of the staff and cruise line. It was an interesting show.

Did anyone else think that the quick shot of the library was actually from an S-class Celebrity ship?

Have not watched yet. Having been on a March 2020 cruise that was denied entry into most ports, we were stuck at sea.  With most venues on the ship closed and not much to do,  it was the worst cruise ever. It certainly is not an experience that I would choose to do again. It may have been my last cruise.

2 hours ago, TMLAalum said:

Did anyone else think that the quick shot of the library was actually from an S-class Celebrity ship?

Thank you!  That shot whizzed past and I said "Hey, that's a Celebrity ship."  One of the passengers must have also had that footage on their phone and passed it along.  

As a retired flight attendant, I couldn't get past the scenes of the flight home.  All those poor exhausted people sitting there, and that airplane had no emergency exit doors, no emergency oxygen masks, and nothing for flying overwater like rafts and life vests.  I mean, the most obvious danger was the commingling of the positive and (for the time being) negative passengers, but those other things matter too!

It was really something seeing the footage from the crew.  How terrifying for them all.

• Like 1

The passengers traveled on this aircraft the same way all servicemen and women travel.   If it’s good enough for those in service to our country, it’s good enough for the passengers from the Diamond.   They had it better than my husband who said they were only provided canvas web seats.   When you are being shipped home by the U.S. government, no cost to you, be happy with what you are provided.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

I just watched it bit out a big knot in my stomach. 

11 hours ago, cruiserhal said:

We watched this program and found it interesting but also disturbing.  

I also found it disturbing, really creepy at the beginning knowing what was going to happen.

11 hours ago, TMLAalum said:

Yes that  comment was unforgivable.  Those poor crew.

14 hours ago, TMLAalum said:

Same here. It was horrific. 

I watched it and thought it was fascinating.  I've been on the Diamond and her twin Sapphire a few times.  It was both nice and sad to see the ship, as the Princess ships are all pretty similar.  We're mostly sailing X now, but I have 3 Princess next year.

I watched it last night.  I had a lot of anxious feelings and fears come back to me from the very early days of the pandemic as I watched.  The time when we knew absolutely nothing about the virus.  The crew was courageous but completely taken advantage of in this situation.  I would be curious to know how many would ever get on a cruise ship again under any circumstance?

Honestly it gave me a pause to think about ships like Millennium and others going out in June.  What if there is a new variant virus on board that evades vaccines and spreads?  And the ship needs to be quarantined to contain it?  Passengers and crew stuck again.  Maybe science fiction and irrational at this point but the documentary was enough to make me think twice about early cruises.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

The passengers traveled on this aircraft the same way all servicemen and women travel.   If it’s good enough for those in service to our country, it’s good enough for the passengers from the Diamond.   They had it better than my husband who said they were only provided canvas web seats.   When you are being shipped home by the U.S. government, no cost to you, be happy with what you are provided.

I mean, they were mostly elderly civilians, not soldiers.  Most servicemen and women travel these days on charter and commercial flights anyway.  When the military needs to move troops around they have contracts with charter companies like Atlas and Omni (and the now defunct World Airways and North American), and when they're really gearing up for something they charter flights with American, Delta, United et al.  All those airplanes have oxygen masks for decompression, emergency doors in case an evacuation is needed, life vests and rafts, insulation, and they even get inflight service. 

I was just surprised that they herded those people into a cargo airplane that wasn't meant for passenger travel and didn't have the minimum safety equipment to transport people as required by US law.  Maybe they called Omni and Atlas and they said no, but I was always under the impression that when the government called, you didn't say no.  Just a perspective from a person whose job it was to notice these things.  It gave me further agita after watching what the passengers and crew went through before even getting to that point. 

It was interesting that they talked about learning about asymptomatic and airborne spread from the Diamond and that was so early in the pandemic when we really didn't know much, and it was all so frightening.  One thing that was hotly debated around here was the a/c system, and of course they now know the virus can spread through some HVAC systems.  That gives me pause in thinking about how that will work in cruise ships and hotels in the future.  We're planning our first tentative trip in the fall, a road trip, and I've been very careful to book rooms in hotels that have balcony doors or windows that fully open.   It's amazing how hard that is.  So many hotels these days have those hermitically sealed windows, and it gives me the willies.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, amyr said:

I mean, they were mostly elderly civilians, not soldiers.  Most servicemen and women travel these days on charter and commercial flights anyway.  When the military needs to move troops around they have contracts with charter companies like Atlas and Omni (and the now defunct World Airways and North American), and when they're really gearing up for something they charter flights with American, Delta, United et al.  All those airplanes have oxygen masks for decompression, emergency doors in case an evacuation is needed, life vests and rafts, insulation, and they even get inflight service. 

I was just surprised that they herded those people into a cargo airplane that wasn't meant for passenger travel and didn't have the minimum safety equipment to transport people as required by US law.  Maybe they called Omni and Atlas and they said no, but I was always under the impression that when the government called, you didn't say no.  Just a perspective from a person whose job it was to notice these things.  It gave me further agita after watching what the passengers and crew went through before even getting to that point. 

It was interesting that they talked about learning about asymptomatic and airborne spread from the Diamond and that was so early in the pandemic when we really didn't know much, and it was all so frightening.  One thing that was hotly debated around here was the a/c system, and of course they now know the virus can spread through some HVAC systems.  That gives me pause in thinking about how that will work in cruise ships and hotels in the future.  We're planning our first tentative trip in the fall, a road trip, and I've been very careful to book rooms in hotels that have balcony doors or windows that fully open.   It's amazing how hard that is.  So many hotels these days have those hermitically sealed windows, and it gives me the willies.

If I were in their place I would have been happy and relieved just to be heading home.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Same here. It was horrific. 

"Horrific"?

Horrific is the behavior of the various governments, particularly Indonesia, as shown in the documentary refusing to get their citizens home.  A tacky remark by a frustrated passenger doesn't compare.

7 minutes ago, billslowsky said:

"Horrific"?

Horrific is the behavior of the various governments, particularly Indonesia, as shown in the documentary refusing to get their citizens home.  A tacky remark by a frustrated passenger doesn't compare.

I agree with you that far worse things happened than the remarks of this privileged white woman, but my criticism is not a zero sum game either. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

I agree with you that far worse things happened than the remarks of this privileged white woman, but my criticism is not a zero sum game either. 

Anyone posting on this site is privileged.. white or otherwise... lets face it... if you can cruise enough to be on this board you are privileged....

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

I would categorize it as hyperbole.  Her comment had no impact on any crew member.

46 minutes ago, billslowsky said:

I would categorize it as hyperbole.  Her comment had no impact on any crew member.

If her comment reflected her tipping policies it did impact crew members. At the very least, it seemed to me she had no sense of empathy for the crew, who continued to do their jobs while having a far greater risk of contracting the virus than the confined passengers. 

Why are we here arguing semantics?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1