Prices are going up - without perks?

LT Hambone

On 4/1/2021 at 5:25 AM, LT Hambone said:

So -

Three months ago when my wife and I booked a 12-Day British Isles with Orkney Islands cruise for next August, we paid $3,349 per person for a Cat BD balcony cabin. Price included the standard Princes Plus perks - drink package, WiFi, gratuities, specialty dining. Not a bad price!

Today, the price is now $3,723 per person WITHOUT the standard Princes Plus perks! I noticed that prices seem to have gone up everywhere, and the Princess Plus package is now limited to a handful of cruises.

Questions - why would Princess raise prices and restrict package offerings when they haven't restarted cruising yet? Will there be another, better sale once cruising resumes?

What about those folks out there who had a summer 2021 cruise cancel with no 2022 replacement? Does this mean they now have to pay more?

Waiting to see how high fares will go - thoughts?

I hate to say it but I think all these cruise lines are going to hit us all hard.  There will be a huge draw to get back on the boats and they know it and will use it against us for sure to make the money.  I think there will be no deals to come for a number of years and with all the ships that were scrapped if you think about the amount of people who can't sail not boats will be full. 

59 minutes ago, BCCRUSINGCOUPLE said:

There will be a huge draw to get back on the boats and they know it and will use it against us for sure to make the money.  I think there will be no deals to come for a number of years and with all the ships that were scrapped if you think about the amount of people who can't sail not boats will be full. 

As one analyst pit it today for Carnival Corp.:

"Carnival's booking trend shows that demand is going to return instantly once no-sail orders are lifted by the CDC." 

Corporate tax rates  are expected to  increase, printing  5 trillion dollars will lower the US dollar purchasing power, future oil prices are increasing from reducing production, the looming possibility of inflation. The business model has been suspended for over a yr without revenue.  The companies financials have been under a stressful burn rate that has disrupted all reserve accounts. The business model must be tinkered with  to sustain profitability and build back the reserves. The revenue is still not coming in for months to come. I am impressed the company is still going strong with marketing for back to crusing. The executive team at Princess is a strong team and great folks working very hard.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BCCRUSINGCOUPLE said:

I hate to say it but I think all these cruise lines are going to hit us all hard.  There will be a huge draw to get back on the boats and they know it and will use it against us for sure to make the money.  I think there will be no deals to come for a number of years and with all the ships that were scrapped if you think about the amount of people who can't sail not boats will be full. 

Especially with reduced capacity. Cruise lines should be able to fill their ships without too much difficulty. I doubt we will see those give away last minute deals we used to see close to sailing date.

Changes in capacity:

Sun 2010
Sea 2000
Pacific 826
Lost 4836

Star 2600
Golden 2600
Transferred within CC: 5200

Enchanted 3,660
Discovery 3,660
Added 7320

total PCL difference: 2216, not a huge # IMHO especially as other lines pick up spots. (Yes I know a total of 18 ships left but larger more efficient ships are coming on)

Will restart cruising at what 50% capacity(?)  but that should ramp up within a year after restarts.

I've already booked out to 2023 to slow down the price hikes

Edited by Ombud

On 4/1/2021 at 7:25 AM, LT Hambone said:

Questions - why would Princess raise prices and restrict package offerings when they haven't restarted cruising yet? Will there be another, better sale once cruising resumes?

Demand IMHO. There is sky high demand from their potential passengers. That's why I booked my refundable-deposit cruises early. I hope they actually happen.

One thing that surprised me, however. When a booked my December 2021 Ft Lauderdale area hotel a week ago, the price was down about 20% from what I paid in November 2019. When I booked airfare several weeks ago for that same December 2021 cruise, it was not any less expensive that November 2019.

Doug

Another price hike?

I might be seeing weird things, but....

Our cabin, with Princess Plus perks, is now up to $3,929! That's a $650 jump since January!

Demand must be the reason why prices are going up fast - even though not a single ship has started sailing!

Glad we booked when we did  🤑 !

18 hours ago, PaperSniper4 said:

When I booked airfare several weeks ago for that same December 2021 cruise, it was not any less expensive that November 2019.

No surprise. On all routes that I check airfares for the fares are significantly higher than pre-pandemic.

• Like 1

Our Alaska Aug 2022 cruise has dropped around $350 AUD per person and also has $400 OBC. Decided to re-fare as it was a saving for us.

On the flip side our PNG Jan 2022 cruise has increased.