The Daily for Friday Apr 02, 2021

richwmn

1 hour ago, Gsel said:

Thanks to all for the prayers and good wishes.  An update is in order.  DH was admitted to our local nursing home last week in the Alzheimer's secure unit.  We had been trying to get him in for some time but waited until he was fully vaccinated and for a bed to come available.  All of that and more came available last Friday.  So far he is doing well and we should be able to see him next week.  I am doing ok, I miss him and the adjustment to living alone after 50+ years is difficult, but change, "they" say is good for you.  I will receive my  second shot today and will continue to do my volunteer work and hopefully continue to travel when I can.  Again, thanks to all of  you and happy travels!

Barbara

Welcome back.  I almost wonder if I should have taken you off the care list a couple of months ago.  To have this happen just 2 days after you came off almost seems like fate was waiting for that to happen before the situation was resolved.  DH sounds like he is in good hands so take care of yourself.

Roy

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sailingdutchy said:

could even place a picture here of Jacqui  @kazudoing her Flamingo but will need her permission first ………..  you all love to see that right .....????

No biggie as long as I don’t look too foolish, Tony 😉 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, sailingdutchy said:

On a lighter note .........

165783258_1314768055573048_8276820523769433155_n.jpg.22221634f10d84f1aff86220e3a73d26.jpg

Don’t you know it’s too late for Suez Canal jokes?

That ship has sailed 😂 😆 😂 

• Like 5
  • Haha 11

16 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Ever Given is still in the canal, at a wide point, presumably undergoing inspections and possible repairs.  Her AIS destination is Rotterdam,

Roy

Yes, they are checking her to make sure she is sea worthy after being grounded/stuck for so long.

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Ever Given is still in the canal, at a wide point, presumably undergoing inspections and possible repairs.  Her AIS destination is Rotterdam,

Roy

Yes a very thorough inspection Roy they were specially  worried about the stern portion the props and the rudder if they were not damaged  because the ship was hung up on both front and back .

Also in Rotterdam they are quite worried of the flood of ships coming all at the same time to the port because of the traffic jam . 

• Like 11

Thanks to Rich, Roy, the drinks and recipe ladies and all who enjoy the Daily.

We've been off at the coast enjoying a good relaxing week so I'm trying to get caught up.

PB&J on a toasted everything bagel is always good!

Happy Good Friday to those who celebrate.

Prayers for those on the care list and those who need them and best wishes to all.

• Like 18

Good morning, all, and thanks to everyone on an important day in the Church calendar.   Good news today on vaccinations, @VMax1700, which vaccine did you receive, do you know?   Here, good news, too, DD got an email from our pharmacy inviting her to register.  I have no idea when they will get vaccine, and she had to fill out a long questionnaire, she was able to say she had asthma, maybe that will help!   I imagine the pharmacies will get the AstraZeneca vaccine, it is the one that is "fridge stable", and I would just as soon she doesn't get that one but she'll take whatever is offered!  "They" are saying now that those who received a first AZ vax could possibly get Pfizer or Moderna as their second more safely (this is in Germany, I think).  What a strange world we are living in now.   The news this morning is that there was a large outbreak of the Brazil variant in Whistler, so now the ski resort is closed down and that will very soon be the dominant virus in 20- to 39-year olds.

Pat is going out to the church to see what is going on on Sunday, if we will have the drive-by Communion after Mass.  We used to get regular emails from them, but that has suddenly stopped and he wants to find out what is going on.  Hopefully the office is open this morning.

That was a wonderful story about the little boy found.  The policemen who found him said it was his "best day on the job in 25 years!"

• Like 22

We were in Roseau Dominica in March 2019 aboard the Celebrity Silhouette ( I hope I'm allowed to mention a non HAL Ship).

There were approx. 25 motorcyclists onboard and they road around each port and you can see them lining up after driving their bikes off the ship.  These are organized tours by a US company and they have local motorcycle riders take them on island tours.  The motorcycles were first off the ship when we arrived in each port.

P1040881.JPG

P1040883.JPG

P1040884.JPG

P1040886.JPG

P1040888.JPG

P1040889.JPG

P1040890.JPG

P1040892.JPG

• Like 20

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

I'm late today. I had a Cardiology appointment this morning. Now I have to monitor my blood pressure at home for a week to see if it's still high. I have to cut down on sodium too.

A Blessed Good Friday to all who celebrate. I do like PB&J (strawberry jam).

I'd like the meatballs without the bread. 

I haven't been to Domenica.

Congrats to all those getting vaccinations!

@Gsel Thank you for the update. I went through that with my Mother (and no pandemic).

Prayers for the care list and cheers to the celebration list.

Stay safe and wear your mask.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sailingdutchy said:

Yes a very thorough inspection Roy they were specially  worried about the stern portion the props and the rudder if they were not damaged  because the ship was hung up on both front and back .

Also in Rotterdam they are quite worried of the flood of ships coming all at the same time to the port because of the traffic jam . 

My understanding is that the Egyptian Government is holding the ship in place until the owners pay the Suez Canal Company a billion dollars in damages.  Once the lawyers get involved don't expect the ship to be moving very soon.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

I imagine the pharmacies will get the AstraZeneca vaccine, it is the one that is "fridge stable", and I would just as soon she doesn't get that one but she'll take whatever is offered!  

Ann our pharmacy is giving Moderna right now.  I hope it stays that way 🤞 .  I don’t believe it needs any more special storage than any other.

Sadly we are still at the 75 year olds.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, kazu said:

Ann our pharmacy is giving Moderna right now.  I hope it stay that way 🤞 .  I don’t believe it needs any more special storage than any other.

Sadly we are still at the 75 year olds.

I believe that Moderna at least starts out frozen, but then I guess refrigeration is sufficient to keep it viable.  I was just reading on the CTV news that the J&J vaccine should be coming in this month, so perhaps the pharmacies will stock that one, too.  Right now, we are being extra careful around DD.  I don't know what is happening in Newfoundland, DD there, as an ATC, should get vaccinated soon, I would think.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, kazu said:

No biggie as long as I don’t look too foolish, Tony 😉 

You were moving pretty fast Jacqui so it is not very clear , but it was a lot of fun and we had a fantastic time , we would love to go there again ! 

512746249_DSCN85802.thumb.jpg.77aea53dc59fe8fcad4c1492df1296b4.jpg

A nice picture of you and Jose

1241528726_DSCN85543.thumb.JPG.007396ec3a6ccc2deadac027a4055984.JPG

Sorry people for misspelling Flamenco in my earlier post , what do you expect from a Dutchy ….? 

Tony , Sailingdutchy 
  • Like 28

4 hours ago, mamaofami said:

Good morning everyone. Happy Good Friday to all who celebrate this holiday.

I’m another who loves peanut butter and Jelly and could live on it if stranded or if we lost power. I never had it as a child and it wasn’t until I had my own children that I first bought it.

My non attendance at the hygienist during the covid pandemic since July has resulted in my developing pockets in my gums so next Monday and Tuesday I will have four quadrants of deep scaling to the tune of $500 for each plus $100 on two days for nitrous. That amounts to $2200. Yikes is all I can say but it’s necessary in order to correct gum issues and not lose teeth. Yes, my dentist is very expensive but also very good. Being the wife of a dentist, I never paid for any dentistry while he practiced. It sure is costly.

Stay safebeveryone.

Carol

Hi Carol,

Do you use a WaterPik? My hygienist suggested this a few years ago and it has been a game changer for me and DH. I wish I had known decades ago and could have avoided many periodontal appointments, including 'deep scaling.'  If you don't use a WP, you may want to see how your hygienist and/or periodontist feel about it.

-Cat

• Like 12

Good morning and thanks all!   
I’m glad to hear @Gsel is back,  hope the transition goes as smoothly as possible!  

Our pharmacies seem to have the range of vaccines, we got Pfizer.  I’m increasingly nervous about waiting four months for the second shot!   

We enjoyed the hike to the emerald pool in beautiful Dominica, but agree it’s not easy!  
Happy Easter all! 

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 15

Yeah for peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. I eat a little bit of peanut butter almost every day but seldon have the pbj sandwiches. Like quite a few of you I try to watch my carbs.

Today's win sounds good, I would like to try it.

Pretty sure I have been to Roseau, Dominica however I can't find any proof.

I had a repeat pulmonary function test on Wednesday and got the results yesterday for several different tests that I have had in the past few months. The good news I do not have pulmonary hypertension, I do not have asthma, my immune system is back within low normal limits, my anemia is not getting worse and my COPD has not gotten worse. The not so good news My COPD is mainly due to emphsema and bronchiectasis. Neither are progressive, non cureable conditions. Also my mitral valve stenosis has progresses from mild to moderate. BUT other than some fatigue I am feeling good.

Jane

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Sea Day #2 prior to reaching Hong Kong so a great time for a fire drill 😉 What you're seeing here is the debrief (every fire drill has one with the captain, staff captain, chief engineer and their officers/team leaders in attendance) in Amsterdam's Marshaling Area, A-Deck, mid-ships. The female officer is the ship's 1st officer from Belgium, and in the 2nd pic, we have one of the 2nd officers, a very funny guy from Liverpool in the UK (fire drills in full turnout gear, a helmet and mask/SCBA are a workout), and a Dutch engineer.

Sailing the Taiwan Strait, aka Formosa Strait, in between the Republic of China and the People's Republic of China. Passing Chinese fishing boats, unk if from the ROC or People's Republic and a stowaway hitchin' a ride  

Being a Dutch flagged company, every HAL ship has a portrait of the Dutch monarch displayed somewhere in the ship. On Amsterdam and the others, it was a portrait of HRH King Willem-Alexander, the Dutch Monarch since 2013, accompanied by his wife, the beautiful HRH Queen Maxima of the Netherlands, the former Maxima Zorreguieta Cerruti from Argentina

The Dutch Royal House of Oranje-Nassau (Orange-Nassau) (think the Dutch equivalent of the British House of Windsor) are no strangers to Holland America Line! Way back when in 1929, HRH Prins Hendrik, prince consort of the Netherlands as the husband of HRH Queen Wilhelmina, christened HAL's Statendam III in Rotterdam. Other members of the House of Orange who have served as godmothers to HAL ships are:

HRH Queen Wilhelmina who christened Nieuw Amsterdam III, the "Darling of the Dutch" in Rotterdam in 1937

HRH Princess Beatrix who christened Statendam IV in 1957 at sea

HRH Queen Juliana who christened Rotterdam V in Rotterdam in 1959

HRH Princess Margriet who christened Rotterdam VI in Port Everglades, FL 

HRH Princess Margriet who christened Oosterdam in Rotterdam in 2003

HRH Queen Beatrix who christened Eurodam in Rotterdam in 2008

HRH Princess Maxima who christened Nieuw Amsterdam IV in Venice, Italy and

HRH Princess Maxima who christened Koningsdam in Rotterdam in 2016

The big question is, will Willem Alexander and Maxima's oldest daughter, HRH Princess Catharina-Amalia, the heir apparent to the throne, christen Rotterdam VII?? 😉

004.JPG

003.JPG

001.JPG

005.JPG

006.JPG

046.JPG

HAL Godfather 1929 SADM III HRH Prince Hendrik in Rotterdam.jpg

HAL Godmothers 1937 NADM II HRH Queen Wilhelmina in Rotterdam.jpg

HAL Godmothers 1937 NADM II HRH Queen Wilhelmina.jpg

HAL Godmothers 1957 SADM IV HRH Princess Beatrix at sea.jpg

HAL Godmothers 1959 RTDM V HRH Queen Juliana in Rotterdam #2.jpg

HAL Godmothers 1997 RTDM VI HRH Princess Margriet in Port Everglades Pier 26 #2.jpg

HAL Godmothers 2003 OSDM HRH Princess Margriet in Rotterdam #2.jpg

HAL Godmothers 2008 EUDM HRH Queen Beatrix in Rotterdam #5.jpg

HAL Godmothers 2010 NADM IV HRH Princess Maxima in Venice #3.jpg

HAL Godmothers 2016 KODM HRH Princess Maxima in Rotterdam.jpg

HAL Godmothers Princess Amalia.jpg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Thanks to all for such a wonderful place to visit each day.  @Gsel, it is wonderful that your DH is now in a caring location.  Now, take some time for yourself.

Yesterday's "April Fool's" posting were fun, and added levity to the day.

Just heard yesterday from a lady who is assisting with vaccine distribution locally that there are people who are coming from the Front Range to the Western Slope (far Western side of Colorado) to get their vaccines.  Involves a 4-5 hour drive one-way to get here, and guess they will have to make the trip again for a 2nd shot unless they get the J&J.  Shows a little of how much people are wanting the vaccine!

I will be trying to attend the Good Friday services this evening at my small local church, because I missed the sign-up for my own parish in Grand Junction.  

Just got a call that my landlord's SIL will be arriving shortly to try again on the installation of my new dishwasher.  I am hoping for "third time is a charm!"

Have a great day, everyone.

• Like 16

Blessed Good Friday to all! 

Did a happy dance yesterday because I was able to take DH over to our church so he could use their handicapped-accessible shower - he was a happy camper! It surprised the staff that he was the first wheelchair-bound member to request using it. It's been in place for about 15 years! 

Continued my happy dance this morning when I got my second Pfizer jab - Yay!! DH got his J&J shot in rehab, so we're both fully vaccinated now. Phew!

• Like 17