If several miracles happen and we do get to take our June 2021 Alaska cruise, It could be far less crowded in port than in 'normal' times with all the cruises that have already been cancelled by other 'big ship' lines.

3 minutes ago, dwlmg said:

If several miracles happen and we do get to take our June 2021 Alaska cruise, It could be far less crowded in port than in 'normal' times with all the cruises that have already been cancelled by other 'big ship' lines.

Interesting that you say that.  When we went to Maui in January this year it was in some ways much better than "normal" times.  It was kind of a hassle getting there because of the testing, but the beaches were empty... not problem go to the places that were open... they even had a Luau up and running with maybe 1/3 as many people.  All in all it was very nice.

3 hours ago, Porcupine 52 said:

Interesting that you say that.  When we went to Maui in January this year it was in some ways much better than "normal" times.  It was kind of a hassle getting there because of the testing, but the beaches were empty... not problem go to the places that were open... they even had a Luau up and running with maybe 1/3 as many people.  All in all it was very nice.

Your Hawaii experience would differ today.  I was on a Zoom meeting earlier this week and two of the people on the call had been to Hawaii recently.  There is a shortage of rental cars and they experienced crowds as not all food establishments were ready for the influx of travelers.  I think for the next 24 months or more we will experience more crowded tourist destinations than we are used to prior to last year

Yes.. You are so right.  I'm taking kids over Thanksgiving and the airlines are almost booked and had trouble finding a condo.  The last I read they are still requiring a corona test 72 hours before you go but I have a feeling that will change before November.  I guess I had better do a rental car reservation ASAP

Posted (edited)

I saw what you mention about rental cars.  On Maui the cheapest available was over $700....per day!!   I imagine that will come down at some point but to your point Hawaii is going to be very expensive for the foreseeable future.  Makes cruises look like a real bargain.  

Edited by Jim Avery

There was also mention of very expensive Uber and Lyft rides to airports in Sacramento and Oakland.  I guess many drivers dropped out and surge pricing is expensive due to reduced competition

1 hour ago, Jim Avery said:

I saw what you mention about rental cars.  On Maui the cheapest available was over $700....per day!!   I imagine that will come down at some point but to your point Hawaii is going to be very expensive for the foreseeable future.  Makes cruises look like a real bargain.  

It better come down or we are walking....

We are finding that all pool and landscaping contractors are very busy.  And they say the costs of subcontractors and materials are going up daily. Most contractors haven’t even returned our calls....

Two have said if we give them the job they will buy all the needed materials immediately and store in our yard  😐

The whole idea of this project was to do something while waiting for travel to normalize....

A tidal wave of demand for everything is being released by the vaccines.  While a pain at the moment, I guess it’s a good thing.

My 18 June 2021 cruise on Viking Orion, Seward to Vancouver, was cancelled 8 days ago... booked via a UK based TA... sorry to be the bearer of bad news 😔

9 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

I'm sorry, but what miracles do you think will happen to make this cruise sail?  Canada is closed to cruising this year, and I can't see that changing.

Some folks didn't get the memo.

We have yet to get a notice that our June 8th Vancouver to Seward cruise it cancelled.  I've been watching and waiting daily for the cancellation.

On 4/3/2021 at 10:18 PM, haydn12 said:

We have yet to get a notice that our June 8th Vancouver to Seward cruise it cancelled.  I've been watching and waiting daily for the cancellation.

The 60 day mark is coming up this week.  The company may choose to zero it out at that point.