Is it time to restart cruising from US Ports and join the UK, Europe, Asia and the Caribbean?

SelectSys

Restart US-based cruising  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Is it now time to start the process of restarting cruising in the US given the latest data from the CDC?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. If cruising restarts, should all passengers and crew require vaccinations?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Should some passengers/crew be exempt from the vaccination requirement?

• No
    • Yes - kids under 18
    • Yes - those previously with confirmed COVID cases
    • No one should be required to get a vaccine, only a negative test like in Europe and Asia
    • Nothing should be required!

9 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

image.png.4bfdb86fde04ce78a8bc6c8104a69082.png

🤣🤣🤣🤣  🤷‍♀️

Didn't you hear The Flat Earth Society "is a government-controlled body designed to pump out misinformation and make the flat-Earth cause sound far-fetched" 😳

The flat-Earth conspiracy is spreading around the globe.

Edited by ilikeanswers
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

Didn't you hear The Flat Earth Society "is a government-controlled body designed to pump out misinformation and make the flat-Earth cause sound far-fetched" 😳

The flat-Earth conspiracy is spreading around the globe.

My main point in posting above was the irony of the statement.

But to your point, some days I hate the internet.

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Haha 2

More recent cruise news regarding lines starting business in NA outside the US and the restart subject in general:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/royal-caribbean-ceo-richard-fain-cruise-safety-cdc-no-sail-order/

But on March 14, 2020, the CDC issued a No Sail Order for cruise ships, stopping all cruises from the United States. But that hasn't stop Americans from going on cruises.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2021/04/06/norwegian-cruise-line-sail-in-europe-caribbean-late-july/7103557002/

Cruises in the caribbean will also run for one week departing from Montego Bay in Jamaica starting Aug. 7 on Norwegian Joy. The company will also sail from Punta Cana, Dominican Republic on Norwegian Gem with voyages starting Aug. 15.

https://www.*****.com/2021/04/08/florida-sues-cdc-get-cruise-ships-sailing-again

"Today, I'm happy to announce that on behalf of the tens of thousands of other Floridians, whose livelihood depends on the viability of an open cruise industry, today Florida is fighting back. We're filing a lawsuit against the federal government and the CDC, demanding that all cruise ships be reopened immediately."

https://www.actionnewsnow.com/content/national/574161222.html?ref=222

So on Monday, Norwegian essentially said: Enough. The company said it plans to require vaccinations for everyone on a ship at least two weeks before sailing.

"Vaccinations are the primary vehicle for Americans to get back to their everyday lives," said Norwegian CEO Frank Del Rio."We believe that through a combination of 100% mandatory vaccinations for guests and crew and science-backed public health measures ... we can create a safe, 'bubble-like' environment."

In my home state, the Governor says we are moving to a return to normalcy starting in June.  Is this related to the recall?  Don't know.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/california-plans-lift-pandemic-restrictions-june-15-76904293

Gov. Gavin Newsom on Tuesday signaled an end to more than a year of closures in California, announcing that the nation’s most populated state plans to lift most coronavirus restrictions on businesses and workplaces June 15, when enough people should be vaccinated to start returning to normal.

On 4/7/2021 at 6:16 PM, navybankerteacher said:

Can you sibstantiate this claim in any fashion?

The flat earth thing -- a poorly worded survey +  someone's idea of great news story and now a whole bunch of people believe 1/3 of college aged people believe the earth is flat.   We all know it is more oval shaped.   

• Thanks 1

On 4/3/2021 at 6:40 AM, ilikeanswers said:

We talk about crew being vaccinated but most of the countries that crew come from are using the Sinovac vaccine from China. Will this vaccine be acceptable in countries in Europe and USA? We wouldn't force them to vaccine twice would we😳

Well, the data is starting to come in supporting my earlier hypothesis/conjecture regarding the effectiveness of Chinese vaccines.  Now they are starting to admit a problem.  What a shock given that they never presented data publicly!

My first reaction to your post:

On 4/3/2021 at 8:32 AM, SelectSys said:

This is an interesting point that I have also thought about.  I guess it depends if the issue with Sinovac is efficacy or safety.  If the vaccine doesn't work, that would seem to be a bigger deal.  It's going to be an issue for the US regardless as Mexico and Central America are all using Chinese vaccines heavily.

Chile is something to watch as both their vaccination and case levels are both growing.  They are using Chinese vaccines.  Is the case rate growth (now at an all time high) due to the onset of fall or the efficacy of the vaccine?

Bad news for those using Chinese vaccines.  I wonder if most governments have paid for these?  My guess now is that the US and other nations will consider them almost useless in terms of efficacy.  This may extend to cruise crews calling on US ports

It very well could be that only certain types of vaccines will be considered acceptable for both travel and working on cruise ships.  We have already seen something similar with COVID tests themselves where only certain types are acceptable for travel.

More links:

https://apnews.com/article/beijing-immunizations-chengdu-coronavirus-pandemic-china-675bcb6b5710c7329823148ffbff6ef9

Chinese vaccines “don’t have very high protection rates,” said the director of the China Centers for Disease Control, Gao Fu, at a conference Saturday in the southwestern city of Chengdu.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2021/04/official-chinese-vaccines-low-effectiveness-mixing.html

A recent study of the Sinovac vaccine in Chile found that the efficacy rate of one shot of the vaccine was only 3 percent, compared to 56 percent with two shots.