Jump to content

Won a Free Cruise - Chose the Pearl Boston to Burmuda


Recommended Posts

Hubby won a free cruise certificate from local casino (not really free because you need to still pay the taxes/fees/gratuities, etc...plus we upgraded to a balcony cabin, but in long run, we still saved about $2K).

 

We chose the Pearl - Boston to Bermuda cruise sailing out May 20, 2022 (we live 15 minutes from the pier)

Some questions:

How is the Pearl?  I know it is an older ship and it is scheduled for a refurb this fall.

How is cruising to Bermuda?  Rough seas in May?

Should I get a water package?  Or just use the water from the dispensers?

 

Any tips/info about the Pearl would be appreciated!  Thanks!

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Pearl is a comfortable

ship and the Bermuda cruise is

very relaxing. Sea conditions is totally dependent on the weather. You are sailing outside Hurricane season, so you don’t have to worry about that. 
 

At one point, all casino guests got a drinks card which is good for bottled water from the casino bar (when the casino is open - all sea days and at night while in port). Wait to see if you get free water before paying for it. 
 

We board as soon as general boarding starts and have lunch in the main dining room. 
 

If you enjoy adult beverages, the free drinks package is a good perk. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I loved the Pearl.  Great size, beautiful public art (There's a Chihuly in the lobby!), and the forward viewing lounge is just about perfect.

I've always just drank the tap water, which is fine.  Have fun!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

He won it at Twin River in Rhode Island.  He used to get tons of freebies from Encore, including free rooms, free shirts and logo jackets, free appliances and much more.  Since they reopened, he hasn't received a thing.  Oh well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 4/2/2021 at 12:15 PM, Named-Tawny said:

I loved the Pearl.  Great size, beautiful public art (There's a Chihuly in the lobby!), and the forward viewing lounge is just about perfect.

I've always just drank the tap water, which is fine.  Have fun!

NCL Pearl was designed for sailing Alaska via  Port of Seattle.  
As has been mentioned, Chihuly glass sculpture in lobby, Chihuly paintings and faux ice hanging from blue glass ceiling.

after refurbishment, would not be surprised if “Alaska” theme is gone. The Chihuly’s would stay as they were commissioned.

The Pearl was our first ship with NCL and we really love that ship. It is the perfect size and it seemed like our “home away from home” for many years.

We sail to Alaska every year, last time was on the Bliss. Sad to think that  this may be the second year Alaska cruises will not  happen.

Edited by phissy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Have sailed the Pearl twice, from Seattle to Miami through the Panama Canal and to Alaska with grandkids.  We loved it both times.  Have been NY to Bermuda and it was a wonderful, relaxing cruise.  Bermuda was amazing, weather was perfect in May and the port was so easy to get around and do things.  Have a wonderful trip.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, abisha said:

He won it at Twin River in Rhode Island.  He used to get tons of freebies from Encore, including free rooms, free shirts and logo jackets, free appliances and much more.  Since they reopened, he hasn't received a thing.  Oh well.

If he does some gambling on the ship, contact Casinos at Sea directly for your next cruise and see what they have to offer. With some consistent play, they will comp future cruises (or significantly discount them). 
 

Remember to track all play with your player’s card or room key. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Abisha - sounds great!!  I agree with everything BirdTravels has stated above.  We have sailed the Gem and the Jewel - which I believe are the same "class" ship as the Pearl.  Love these smaller ships vs. the new Bliss/Encore size.  And, departing from Boston is super easy!!  Bermuda is FANTASTIC.  So nice to stay in one place for three days..  We recommend the following:  Go to the beach one day, Hamilton another and St George/Tobacco Bay.  Ferry and buses are great - you can purchase a multiday pass if you plan to see the island - you'll have no trouble getting around.  The port is also good for walking around and grabbing typical souvenirs on the last day.  Honestly we don't do a lot of tours but the Aquarium, caves, perfume factory, glass blowing factory and Swizzle Inn (there are two - if you don't get there at least try a rum swizzle and a Dark and Stormy at some point!!) are some of the highlights/touristy things to do/visit.  Also, if you have the shore excursion credit you might want to do a sunset cruise or a snorkeling adventure - the water is gorgeous...

 

Re: drinking water, unless it changes, you can get bottles of water in the casino with your CAS card - bottled water is NOT included in the regular drink package you may have received as a perk.  You can also fill a water bottle at the beverage stations in the buffet (if they still allow that, too).

 

We have made this trip from Boston or NYC three times (courtesy of Twin River and Foxwoods LOL) - July, May and August.  All were pretty smooth - it was hotter than expected in July and August - May was just right.  Was scheduled to go again in May 2020 - oh well!

 

Any other questions - let me know 🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
On 4/2/2021 at 1:47 PM, abisha said:

Hubby won a free cruise certificate from local casino (not really free because you need to still pay the taxes/fees/gratuities, etc...plus we upgraded to a balcony cabin, but in long run, we still saved about $2K).

 

We chose the Pearl - Boston to Bermuda cruise sailing out May 20, 2022 (we live 15 minutes from the pier)

Some questions:

How is the Pearl?  I know it is an older ship and it is scheduled for a refurb this fall.

How is cruising to Bermuda?  Rough seas in May?

Should I get a water package?  Or just use the water from the dispensers?

 

Any tips/info about the Pearl would be appreciated!  Thanks!

 

On 4/5/2021 at 2:19 PM, margie1221 said:

Abisha - sounds great!!  I agree with everything BirdTravels has stated above.  We have sailed the Gem and the Jewel - which I believe are the same "class" ship as the Pearl.  Love these smaller ships vs. the new Bliss/Encore size.  And, departing from Boston is super easy!!  Bermuda is FANTASTIC.  So nice to stay in one place for three days..  We recommend the following:  Go to the beach one day, Hamilton another and St George/Tobacco Bay.  Ferry and buses are great - you can purchase a multiday pass if you plan to see the island - you'll have no trouble getting around.  The port is also good for walking around and grabbing typical souvenirs on the last day.  Honestly we don't do a lot of tours but the Aquarium, caves, perfume factory, glass blowing factory and Swizzle Inn (there are two - if you don't get there at least try a rum swizzle and a Dark and Stormy at some point!!) are some of the highlights/touristy things to do/visit.  Also, if you have the shore excursion credit you might want to do a sunset cruise or a snorkeling adventure - the water is gorgeous...

 

Re: drinking water, unless it changes, you can get bottles of water in the casino with your CAS card - bottled water is NOT included in the regular drink package you may have received as a perk.  You can also fill a water bottle at the beverage stations in the buffet (if they still allow that, too).

 

We have made this trip from Boston or NYC three times (courtesy of Twin River and Foxwoods LOL) - July, May and August.  All were pretty smooth - it was hotter than expected in July and August - May was just right.  Was scheduled to go again in May 2020 - oh well!

 

Any other questions - let me know 🙂

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello, Also traveling to Bermuda on 5/20/22 on the Pearl, my sister and I.                                              Gone on the Gem back in 2019, which is the same class as Pearl.  Love the smaller ships.                       Congrats on your win.  Back in 2016 I won 2 cruises from Twin River Casino.  Went on the Epic on both trips, 2017 then again in 2018. Like a smaller class ship.

So went to Bermuda in 2019, absolutely love the whole trip.  We went earlier May so leaving Port out of Boston was chilly but, no rough sea's.  Once we got out to sea the next day was wonderful.  I feel going later in the month it will be warmer.  

Looking forward to getting back to Cruising.  My favorite type of Vacation!

Hope to see you on board.

21 minutes ago, SallyGirl said:

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/5/2021 at 2:19 PM, margie1221 said:

Abisha - sounds great!!  I agree with everything BirdTravels has stated above.  We have sailed the Gem and the Jewel - which I believe are the same "class" ship as the Pearl.  Love these smaller ships vs. the new Bliss/Encore size.  And, departing from Boston is super easy!!  Bermuda is FANTASTIC.  So nice to stay in one place for three days..  We recommend the following:  Go to the beach one day, Hamilton another and St George/Tobacco Bay.  Ferry and buses are great - you can purchase a multiday pass if you plan to see the island - you'll have no trouble getting around.  The port is also good for walking around and grabbing typical souvenirs on the last day.  Honestly we don't do a lot of tours but the Aquarium, caves, perfume factory, glass blowing factory and Swizzle Inn (there are two - if you don't get there at least try a rum swizzle and a Dark and Stormy at some point!!) are some of the highlights/touristy things to do/visit.  Also, if you have the shore excursion credit you might want to do a sunset cruise or a snorkeling adventure - the water is gorgeous...

 

Re: drinking water, unless it changes, you can get bottles of water in the casino with your CAS card - bottled water is NOT included in the regular drink package you may have received as a perk.  You can also fill a water bottle at the beverage stations in the buffet (if they still allow that, too).

 

We have made this trip from Boston or NYC three times (courtesy of Twin River and Foxwoods LOL) - July, May and August.  All were pretty smooth - it was hotter than expected in July and August - May was just right.  Was scheduled to go again in May 2020 - oh well!

 

Any other questions - let me know 🙂

In reference to your post: The Swizzle Inn in South side or South Beach was closed permanently in May of last year.) The original in Bailey's remains open. It's worth the trip if you're in the area!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/2/2021 at 2:27 PM, BirdTravels said:

Wait to see if you get free water before paying for it. 

 

Plenty of free water from the faucet in the stateroom.  Tastes just fine.  Bring some refillable bottles, fill them, and put them in the mini-fridge to get cold. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...