4-2-2021 CDC has issued new guidance

1 hour ago, Iamcruzin said:

When Royal released the itinerary that leaves from Nassau I gave up hope for any sailings out of the US this summer. They just flipped the CDC the bird and found a loophole that could serve the U.S. passenger.

And rightfully so too. IMO, they would not have instituted a cruise from Nassau or St.Maarten if they thought there was a chance to cruise out of a US port. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

As if they were hurrying something to press because a certain “director” stuck her clueless foot in her mouth. 

8 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Doubling down on their power grab. Clueless and government we are here to help you, run. 

Did you really expect anything else? The so called "director" is a politician at heart and is practicing CYA. The CDC has made it clear that they DON'T want cruising from the USA to start any time soon.

• Like 2

This requirement on page 24 of the 40 page order that was posted will keep many from being allowed on the conditional cruises: 

(2) All volunteer passengers must be at least eighteen years old or older. The cruise ship operator must also obtain from all volunteer passengers a written certification from a healthcare provider that the volunteer passenger has no pre-existing medical conditions that would place that individual at high risk for COVID-19 as determined through CDC guidance. CDC may issue additional requirements through technical instructions or orders relating to a cruise ship operator's obligation to screen for volunteer passengers who may be at high risk for COVID-19.“

Edited by JT1962
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, JT1962 said:

This requirement on page 24 of the 40 page order that was posted will keep many from being allowed on the conditional cruises: 

(2) All volunteer passengers must be at least eighteen years old or older. The cruise ship operator must also obtain from all volunteer passengers a written certification from a healthcare provider that the volunteer passenger has no pre-existing medical conditions that would place that individual at high risk for COVID-19 as determined through CDC guidance. CDC may issue additional requirements through technical instructions or orders relating to a cruise ship operator's obligation to screen for volunteer passengers who may be at high risk for COVID-19.“

If that's true, the cruises will look like the brochure pictures of thin, athletic, healthy beautiful people.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jean87510 said:

If that's true, the cruises will look like the brochure pictures of thin, athletic, healthy beautiful people.

It sounds like those requirements are for the “test cruises” only. In the meantime, I better go hit the gym and change my eating habits, juuuuust in case. 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, JT1962 said:

That was in the original CSO

12 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

When Royal released the itinerary that leaves from Nassau I gave up hope for any sailings out of the US this summer. They just flipped the CDC the bird and found a loophole that could serve the U.S. passenger.

Yep . I think if people really want to cruise they will have to look outside the US.  Guess I’ll be looking for cruises out of Nassau. Kudos to the Bahamas and RC

• Like 2

Florida Cruise Port Disappointed With Latest CDC Guidance (cruisefever.net)

Capt. John Murray, CEO at Port Canaveral, gave the following statement: “For a year now, we have been working closely with our cruise partners and directly with the CDC to find a way forward for the return of cruising from Port Canaveral. Just today CDC announced vaccinated Americans could safely travel internationally. We’re disappointed that this guidance for the cruise industry appears to be nothing more than an incremental step in a far-reaching process to resume passenger sailings in the U.S. with no definitive or target start date.”

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Serious  we all need to find other options for vacations besides cruising from a US Port.

We did this past winter, the two months in Florida were great.  Already have other plans for this year and next winter.

• Like 1

This new technical guidance for Phase 2 must be very frustrating for the cruise lines.  The test cruises are part of phase 3 but the CDC has not stated when this phase 3 can begin.  It’s no wonder why the cruise industry has taken its business elsewhere.  

I question why the CDC can control the cruise industry and not any other sector of the economy - what sense does that make?  Our governor is questioning the legality of this control. 

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

This new technical guidance for Phase 2 must be very frustrating for the cruise lines.  The test cruises are part of phase 3 but the CDC has not stated when this phase 3 can begin.  It’s no wonder why the cruise industry has taken its business elsewhere.  

I question why the CDC can control the cruise industry and not any other sector of the economy - what sense does that make?  Our governor is questioning the legality of this control. 

I absolutely agree with this. If everyone is vaccinated, what's the hold up? More ridiculous double standards.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Auntiemomo said:

I'm just hoping for October.

I'll be thrilled if November 28th on Oasis happens, but I'm not holding my breath.  I'll believe it when I actually board the ship.

Edited by mek

1 hour ago, livingonthebeach said:

there are timeframes outlined in the CSO document. Once this phase is satisfied it is up to the cruise line to request approval for simulated sailings so there is no concrete date.

All cruise lines won’t move at the same pace from here on. 

• Like 1

I read that a contractor who is on board for less than a week has to be assisted by only one crew member if possible, then after the work is done the crew member has to quarantine for 14 days.  Wasn’t the quarantine period for everything other than cruising changed to 10 days?  And aren’t vaccinated people not required to quarantine if exposed to someone with the virus?  Definitely a double standard here.

I hope I misunderstood what I read.

This is nothing more than a power grab.  The CDC director is political so don't believe a word she says.  They want power and have no intention of giving it up.  I feel so bad for this continued harassment of the cruise lines from the CDC.  I wish we could vote their butts out of power!

Time for the cruise lines to just looks elsewhere.  Hopefully more ships out of more foreign ports that Americans can fly to (without ANY restrictions according to the CDC).  The CDC is freakin idiots.  All they have managed to do is harm the US and benefit other countries.  

BTW, I will be on the first  sailing out of Nassau and now plan to change my August cruise out of the US to join the cruise going out of Bermuda.  

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

I read that a contractor who is on board for less than a week has to be assisted by only one crew member if possible, then after the work is done the crew member has to quarantine for 14 days.  Wasn’t the quarantine period for everything other than cruising changed to 10 days?  And aren’t vaccinated people not required to quarantine if exposed to someone with the virus?  Definitely a double standard here.

I hope I misunderstood what I read.

This is why RC was concerned that the guidelines would be woefully outdated.

They're written in April 2020 context, not April 2021.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Tolkmit said:

So... according to CDC, all travel can go back to normal if you are vaccinated; except for cruising.

FFS.

And flights back to US - still have to get covid test or airline will deny boarding.

16 hours ago, NavArch64 said:

Very complex Technical Instructions. It will take a lot of work to meet these CDC requirements for the CSO. Each ship, each US port, each foreign port, almost each voyage will have to be described, explained and procedures agreed to by all parties, including the CDC, Port Authorities and USCG. The corporate staffs are going to be challenged to get this done. I don't think that a political process can replace the technical process. We shall see.

This has no bearing on foreign ports, as the CDC has no jurisdiction there.

These requirements were known, in general terms, a year ago, and these instructions still only tell the what is required (the same as the NSO and the CSO), which is what the CDC is competent to promulgate.  The how is still up to the cruise lines, just as it has been since last April, and even when it was stated about 2 months ago what the "phase 2" would require, the cruise lines have not done any pre-planning or negotiating to even the level of a "letter of intent" with the various local and state agencies, which could be quickly completed when the levels of service are defined.  And, even here, the CDC is leaving the exact level of services required (max passengers, hospital space, quarantine space) to the parties in the agreements, the cruise lines and the state and local agencies. So, this shows that the cruise lines are even more negligent in not starting discussions with these agencies, since the CDC is generally opting out of the details.

How quickly the cruise lines get these agreements in place will show whether they have been working towards this for a year, or merely sitting on their hands.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1