New CDC Cruise Ship Guidelines Issued

11 hours ago, caradara said:

My husband just got back from Mexico and the resort that he stayed at did the testing onsite and gave him a printout that was accepted to come back to the USA.  So why can't a cruise ship do the same onboard?

I suspect they will carry a supply of antigen tests and dispense them to their passengers. Testing and getting results to the pax ( printouts? smartphone?) will need a team. Setting up a "lab" for potentially hundreds/thousands of passengers.  How many can be done per hour? I think test must be done within 3 days of boarding time.  Pre testing, adding to that all 18+ on some lines, ALL on other lines vaccinated, will be  a super interesting study of infection rates.

This was reported in the Wall Street Journal this morning .    NCL made  "an appeal to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on Monday, the company said it would require all passengers and crew to be vaccinated two weeks before coming on board and hopes to resume cruise operations from U.S. ports beginning July 4."

https://www.wsj.com/articles/vaccine-requirements-could-be-a-booster-for-norwegian-cruise-lines-11617705000?st=w880woo6rusg6yi&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink

Has SIlversea posted a statement on whether they will require vaccinations yet?  NCL took a big step forward yesterday, just wondering if RCL/Silversea has followed suit yet.  I can't believe the CDC doesn't consider a fully vaccinated cruise sailing safe.  It will be interesting to see their response to NCL.  It really seems like the CDC should have issued 2 sets of guidance.  One is the procedures you need to follow if you have a fully vaccinated cruise and the other set should read like the ones they just published and only apply to cruises without everyone vaccinated.

7 minutes ago, josh1324342 said:

Has SIlversea posted a statement on whether they will require vaccinations yet?  NCL took a big step forward yesterday, just wondering if RCL/Silversea has followed suit yet.  I can't believe the CDC doesn't consider a fully vaccinated cruise sailing safe.  It will be interesting to see their response to NCL.  It really seems like the CDC should have issued 2 sets of guidance.  One is the procedures you need to follow if you have a fully vaccinated cruise and the other set should read like the ones they just published and only apply to cruises without everyone vaccinated.

I can see why the CDC did not say port, crew and guest vaccinations are a requirement.  They merely said "encouraged" and "recommended".  However, I agree that there should be two sets of guidelines if the cruise line itself requires the innoculations in order to board.  The chance of an outbreak would be so small compared to an unvaccinated ship full.  Still given the unknowns regarding the varients, health and safety mitigation plans should be approved and in place.

56 minutes ago, josh1324342 said:

Good morning Josh, I don't believe SS has posted a statement about vaccination 

requirements yet.  I could be wrong but we have several folks on here who keep us updated

on news gathering via other sites and the SS site. I don't remember reading/seeing anything

about new updates on vaccination policy.

Posted (edited)

Martin Cetron, the director of the maritime division at CDC, is quoted in a Miami Herald article today that “if all things go well as planned...I think with following the guidance we laid out we can all probably get to a place of partial resumption of sailing in July.” On the other hand, the CDC is at least as of now sticking to its guns in requiring the port agreements detailed in the original post for this to occur, even though CLIA called the CDC’s rules for port agreements “unduly burdensome, largely unworkable” in a statement yesterday. 

Edited by taxatty
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, josh1324342 said:

Has SIlversea posted a statement on whether they will require vaccinations yet? 

Nothing official yet, but I have it on good authority they will require vaccinations in place as they start up.  Pretty sure that passengers will be tested prior to embarkation and disembarkation as well.  The big unknown is what they will do if a positive test appears on disembarkation.  Also, it’s going to be interesting to see how many suites will be taken out of service in order to accommodate crew in single cabins.

Edited by Stumblefoot