6 minutes ago, karena1 said:

I know, hoping since everything is up in the air right now, maybe that would change, but doubt we will get that lucky

It requires a drydock to change the shows so despite everything that is going on I don't see Royal spending that kind of money to change a show early

11 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

It requires a drydock to change the shows so despite everything that is going on I don't see Royal spending that kind of money to change a show early

No reason to change anyway. It was quite popular in January

On 4/5/2021 at 6:45 PM, Travelling2Some said:

Cats ran forever in New York.  It was something you'd take visiting children to see and an expensive nap for locals.  In the same category as the Empire State Building and the dreaded request to go on the Circle Line. 

Saw Cats on Broadway couldn’t wait for it to be over. Would have walked out if I could but too close up front. No desire to see it on a ship, even a shorten version of it. 

14 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Why would a dry dock be required?

On 4/5/2021 at 8:41 AM, MiniChunks said:

And here I thought we were going to have another spirited debate about ridiculous people and the animals they feel they need to bring onboard.(actual service animals not included)

Cruise cat.jpg

What no Cats on board...As my progressive "Friends" would say ..'That"s racism"..😁

18 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

2 hours ago, Biker19 said:

That's typically the only way to change the sets for the new show.

Forgive me if I'm a little skeptical about this.  I've been in the entertainment business for awhile and I know most theater sets can be broken down into somewhat manageable parts. Why would cruise ship theater sets be different?

3 hours ago, crazyank said:

Why would a dry dock be required?

We did the back stage tour of Cats the last time we were on Oasis. While looking at the sets someone asked if they were built on the ship and I recall they said that the sets were loaded onto the ship via an access opened up in the hull of the ship while in dry dock. With Oasis sized dry docks in short supply after the accident at the Bahamas dry dock perhaps CATS will be around even longer.

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, crazyank said:

Forgive me if I'm a little skeptical about this.  I've been in the entertainment business for awhile and I know most theater sets can be broken down into somewhat manageable parts. Why would cruise ship theater sets be different?

You need time to be able to do this without disrupting the show for guests.  It cannot be done overnight. Just going by last history over the last 15 years and every show change since Oasis class launched has been done during a drydock. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach
6 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

You need time to be able to do this without disrupting the show for guests.  It cannot be dine. overnight. Just going by last history over the last 15 years and every show change since Oasis class launched has been done during a drydock. 

Some folks just don't understand

19 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

You need time to be able to do this without disrupting the show for guests.  It cannot be done overnight. Just going by last history over the last 15 years and every show change since Oasis class launched has been done during a drydock. 

And even though the performers practice well before they get to the ship, they still need to practice on the ship before they go right to cruise guests.  They may know the snogs and their stage locations in a large hall on land, it is not the same as on the ship. Doing it on the ships needs practice which they do during dry dock. The cast also help during prop scene changes so practicing on the ship is also a necessity.

The stage crew also needs practice during this same time because the show and cast are new to them. 

If CATS has indeed gone through it's nine lives on RCCL, it's no fur lost on this cruiser. Way too long and too boring for me. (Full disclosure, I fell asleep during the 2nd Act of the original Broadway show).

Have no intention of wasting 3-4 hours sitting in a ship theater.

1 hour ago, crewsweeper said:

If CATS has indeed gone through it's nine lives on RCCL, it's no fur lost on this cruiser. Way too long and too boring for me. (Full disclosure, I fell asleep during the 2nd Act of the original Broadway show).

I thought someone commented that Oasis version has been shortened with no intermission?  

I have to laugh as it seems like "Cats" is one of the more talked about topics on cruise critic.

On 4/5/2021 at 5:07 PM, MisterBill99 said:

So this is a joke, right? Cats was the most disliked show of any on board a cruise ship (and I actually have seen in multiple times on land and like it). I thought that We Will Rock You on Anthem was the worst show I've ever seen on land or on sea, but many people seemed to like it, and certainly more than Cats. Most people didn't return after intermission for Cats when I saw it. I know it's shorter now, maybe people don't leave.

In my opinion We Will Rock You was the best show I ever saw on a cruise line.However,I prefer productions at the Westchester Dinner Theater.Their production a few years ago of Man Of LaMancha was outstanding.

I was hopeful that we could sail the Oasis and not have to worry about Cats.  Alas, we will just have to find a different ship.  Thankfully, we have LOTS of options.  And pretty much any other show is preferable to Cats, including "Invitation to Dance".  

While I agree that WWRY's story is pretty darned weak (and it's theme has been repeated so many times by so many artists, it's not even funny), I'm such a Queen fan that I just don't care- I can see that many times and rock out every single time.  Maybe it's like John and Cats.

On 4/3/2021 at 11:21 PM, smokeybandit said:

Oh, *that* Cats.

Not what I was expecting when opening this thread

Thought it might be about comfort animals, haven't had one of them for awhile.

4 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

In my opinion We Will Rock You was the best show I ever saw on a cruise line.However,I prefer productions at the Westchester Dinner Theater.Their production a few years ago of Man Of LaMancha was outstanding.

FYI, Westchester Dinner Theater closed, a victim of Covid-19. 

13 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

90 minutes now, no 2nd act

11 hours ago, LuCruise said:

I thought someone commented that Oasis version has been shortened with no intermission?  

I have to laugh as it seems like "Cats" is one of the more talked about topics on cruise critic.

What's really funny is that Mama Mia as it is now, is actually longer than CATS was previously

9 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

What's really funny is that Mama Mia as it is now, is actually longer than CATS was previously

You can do that when you are not worried about people walking out .... 😉

12 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

12 hours ago, alfaeric said:

You can do that when you are not worried about people walking out .... 😉

Well, that's one I won't even walk in on.  ABBA has never been on any of my playlists and  I've avoided both movies.

10 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

Well, that's one I won't even walk in on.  ABBA has never been on any of my playlists and  I've avoided both movies.

For the most part, WWRY and Mama Mia are so obviously Queen and Abba that if you don't like either, the odds of you going to the show are minimal.

Whereas Cats was on Broadway forever, so you might be inclined to go just because.  Unless you see the movie...  ouch.

39 minutes ago, alfaeric said:

For the most part, WWRY and Mama Mia are so obviously Queen and Abba that if you don't like either, the odds of you going to the show are minimal.

Whereas Cats was on Broadway forever, so you might be inclined to go just because.  Unless you see the movie...  ouch.

Love the finale of Mama Mia. Best from front row 

8 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Love the finale of Mama Mia. Best from front row 

Love Mama Mia & We Will Rock You. The very end of We Will Rock is fantastic. When ship has it go every time even twice on same cruise. Enjoy the music.