Will NCL cruise from Nassau or Cozumel?

Encore37

What does everyone think...will NCL cruise from Nassau or Cozumel this summer?  Will there be an announcement soon?  I’m hoping they do but I’m only going to wait another couple of weeks before I book RCCL from Nassau.  I feel if they don’t announce it soon, they won’t be ready by June.

2 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

They already removed all cruises through end of August. 

Removing all cruises through August might also mean they are getting ready to start selling some alternative itineraries homeporting offshore just as some other cruise lines have, and there's still time to start those in the July/August timeframe.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Removing all cruises through August might also mean they are getting ready to start selling some alternative itineraries homeporting offshore just as some other cruise lines have, and there's still time to start those in the July/August timeframe.

That’s what we were expecting to see in the “Exciting News”

which has never come out. 

6 hours ago, Encore37 said:

What does everyone think...will NCL cruise from Nassau or Cozumel this summer?  Will there be an announcement soon?  I’m hoping they do but I’m only going to wait another couple of weeks before I book RCCL from Nassau.  I feel if they don’t announce it soon, they won’t be ready by June.

Don't know anything about the terminal at Cozumel. However I've visited port at Nassau lots of times. Not sure how well equipped they are to handle check-in, luggage and provisoning for departing cruiseships. The terminal is way to small to handle all the passangers checking in. Turn around day for Royal will be a cluster you know what to be sure.

15 minutes ago, BoundForSea said:

My money is on Bermuda to GSC and back. Gem. 

What do I get if I’m right?? 😉😂

I'd like to cruise out of Bermuda, but I think we need NCL to provide some decent charter flights to get all of us in and out on the right days.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NYcruzzer said:

Don't know anything about the terminal at Cozumel. However I've visited port at Nassau lots of times. Not sure how well equipped they are to handle check-in, luggage and provisoning for departing cruiseships. The terminal is way to small to handle all the passangers checking in. Turn around day for Royal will be a cluster you know what to be sure.

Nassau can't even spend a few of the port fees to clean the terminal or police the area.  Yet Royal sailing from there.

26 minutes ago, TSUmom said:

I have an August cruise booked and it does not show canceled or changes.....yet

Although not yet formally cancelled all the July and August cruises have been removed from sale, which is typically a precursor to their formal cancellation.

24 minutes ago, All-ready2cruise said:

I just looked at NCL site and chose the month of August - the only cruises that were still bookable (3) were on POA. 

Those were gone earlier and are now gone again just after you posted. It must have been a glitch that they were shown as available when you checked.

1 minute ago, njhorseman said:

Although not yet formally cancelled all the July and August cruises have been removed from sale, which is typically a precursor to their formal cancellation.

You are correct my August Breakaway is no longer listed.  I really was not planning on it going.  Now I will just wait for it to show as canceled on My NCL and move my FCC's....again

19 hours ago, Encore37 said:

What does everyone think...will NCL cruise from Nassau or Cozumel this summer?

Cozumel seems pretty pie in the sky. There's extremely limited air service scheduled this summer. AA and UA are offering only one or two flights a day to the island from their hub airports. 

Cruising from another port is simply not a winner for any cruise line. RCL isn't going to be making money sending 1 ship out from each of 2 ports.  The cost to provision from these small ports will triple or quadruple to send all the provisions there and rent trucks to get them to the port very early with the tiny roads and congestion that will come with disembarking and embarking passengers!

People won't be clamoring to fly to a foreign country with the difficulty of testing to return home and the extra expenses of higher cost flights and hotels.

People in secondary markets won't be able to get to charter flights same day. It will require extra travel days.  many people rely on $200-300 flights or driving and will be reluctant to pony up for $500-750 flights.  Oh and how many still cruise without a passport... lots.. they are ruled out.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

Cruising from another port is simply not a winner for any cruise line. RCL isn't going to be making money sending 1 ship out from each of 2 ports.  The cost to provision from these small ports will triple or quadruple to send all the provisions there and rent trucks to get them to the port very early with the tiny roads and congestion that will come with disembarking and embarking passengers!

People won't be clamoring to fly to a foreign country with the difficulty of testing to return home and the extra expenses of higher cost flights and hotels.

People in secondary markets won't be able to get to charter flights same day. It will require extra travel days.  many people rely on $200-300 flights or driving and will be reluctant to pony up for $500-750 flights.  Oh and how many still cruise without a passport... lots.. they are ruled out.

For RCCL you have to figure this is definitely more about running cruises with U.S. citizens to show CDC that they can sail safely. More or less a way of running test cruises with vaccinated passangers and crew. If these cruises go well then maybe CDC will update their NSO taking vaccinated passanger into account.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

Cozumel seems pretty pie in the sky. There's extremely limited air service scheduled this summer. AA and UA are offering only one or two flights a day to the island from their hub airports. 

((BOLD PRINT) That is the major kicking point - having enough large aircraft to support

the cruising from any point in the Caribbean ! Flying puddle jumping barbi jets (CR-Js 50 seats)

is not going to do it filling a cruise ship with 2500 guests - even a couple of 757 200 seats is

not going to work (bringing 6 747s out of moth balls (2400) will work but where are the hotel

rooms the day/night before the cruise -AND- compound that with more than one cruise ship.

There is more to be recognized here than wishful dream thinking.

Then there is the other half of the cruise equation getting all the guests ending their cruise

at these locations and flying home.  

• Like 2

I will not cruise until I can cruise out of south Florida, New Orleans or maybe Texas. I enjoy cruising but will not go through hoops to get to a beach. 

I just booked airfare to Puerto Vallarta for October so will fly to the beach. Hope to cruise as we're used to in 2023.

Well...looks like the "Exciting News" we've been waiting for is not sailing from offshore homeports, but rather todays letter to the CDC requesting the CDC drop the CSO and permit NCL to cruise from the US with fully vaccinated passengers and crew.

25 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Well...looks like the "Exciting News" we've been waiting for is not sailing from offshore homeports, but rather todays letter to the CDC requesting the CDC drop the CSO and permit NCL to cruise from the US with fully vaccinated passengers and crew.

Actually Horsie, I think they had that "sign up for exciting news" blurb on NCL.com just to get people to sign up for their mailing list.  Sure, good news will come eventually but....still not seeing any.

• Haha 1