Transportation from Southampton to Heathrow Airport - Non-Cunard Options?

Smokeyham

Hello,

We are thinking of staying in Southampton and then travelling to Heathrow Airport.  Can anyone advise on the options for taking a train, bus or similar (or any other options)?

From a transportation App we see a suggestion to take a National Express bus for approximately US$9.   We will have luggage.  

Thanks for any thoughts.

I have taken the bus in the opposite direction before. It worked very well. Just make sure to get a reservation and clarify before how you will get from the bus station at LHR to your actual terminal.

Although I’ve never travelled Southampton to Heathrow direct, I do have plenty of experience of travelling to Southampton by public transport and work at Heathrow.

Personally I would avoid the train. We did it once after disembarking QM2 and the baggage storage was an absolute nightmare as we left Southampton. Loads of cruise passengers with baggage and limited storage. Couple this with the fact that there is no direct train link into LHR so you need to change onto the tube at some stage. Again that can be challenging with luggage.

I would go for National Express if I needed to do it.

• Like 1

We have used National Express in both directions. We sometimes leave the car at Heathrow and then go on the coach to Southampton to join the ship, easier on the return for driving home.

Check if they call at different terminals on the way from Southampton they certainly do call at all terminals on the way to Southampton.  A reserved seat and booking additional luggage is best.

On 4/5/2021 at 7:39 AM, Smokeyham said:

Hello,

We are thinking of staying in Southampton and then travelling to Heathrow Airport.  Can anyone advise on the options for taking a train, bus or similar (or any other options)?

From a transportation App we see a suggestion to take a National Express bus for approximately US$9.   We will have luggage.  

Thanks for any thoughts.

National Express (Coach) is, as far as I'm aware the only direct form of transport from Southampton to Heathrow. Avoid the train unless you specifically want to go into London, in which case it will end at Waterloo terminal where you will have to change to the Tube (the Underground) for Heathrow - this will of course add more time (over an hour), expense and hassle. Seriously, I'm struggling to think of anything worse. Obviously, double check N.E. are still direct and make the necessary reservations.

Or there are some good suggestions on here re. car/chauffeur service.

On 4/6/2021 at 3:17 PM, BigMac1953 said:

We've been using Alex Timar for more than 10 years. London to Soton. S-Class Mercs at a reasonable price. Very reliable and will wait if there's a hold up.

See: https://www.tmrchauffeurs.co.uk/

Stewart

TMR Chauffeurs are the former Southcoast Chauffeurs- did I get that right? I used them several times- great cars, great service. BUT I was charged an extra due to using my credit card the last time I used them. So I felt rather ripped off. I was overtired and a bit under the weather so I did not start a discussion right there and then..! But - well - for me they are done. There are other options.

Thanks for the helpful suggestions.  We decided to go with Blackberry car service since there are two of us and we are going to a Heathrow-area hotel, as opposed to a terminal.

So far they have been very efficient about responding to emails, providing quotes, etc.

Blackberry Car Service Website

• Like 1

On 4/15/2021 at 12:57 AM, Balticdream said:

Or you could get the train to Reading and switch to the Rail Air bus there.

Southampton Central Railway Station, South Western Railway to Woking, then Coach  from outside Woking station  to Heathrow Terminals is the easiest by Public Transport . You can purchase all in ticket.   Can Always do the complete journey by coach from Southampton Coach Station.