Maybe the MDR Menu will be available via Room Service?

MsSoCalCruiser

When we are back to cruising, do you think that Princess will start offering the MDR lunch and dinner menu via Room Service?  That would help with the crowds in the Main Dining Room.  I think a lot of people would take advantage of that if it was offered. Thoughts?

2 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

I was hoping there would be no additional fee.  I think Holland America will let you order off the dinner menu?

Even on HAL, no way to know what policy will apply when ships sail again

5 minutes ago, Tak8 said:

Would they have enough room service staff to deliver all those potential meals?   To me, it seems difficult staff wise to offer this to all passengers.  

If they can do it for breakfast,they can do it for lunch and dinner!

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Yes, I am aware. Just something to think/talk about.

I understand ...

But after a year plus of no revenue I would guess all the lines will be looking for ways to enhance the revenue stream and/or reduce labor intensive services.

• Like 1

It was back sometime last year when I heard that cruiselines may require you to have a meal in your stateroom once, maybe twice, during each weeklong sailing and it could be ordered from the MDR menu.  Now, there's been no indication since then that is actually going to happen.  But, they are going to have to reduce dining room capacity and that 'do you wish to share?' question may be null and void for some time to come.  Also in the article, reservations for anytime dining may be required so it may not really be anytime dining any longer.  Again, crickets on this since that was all mentioned so it may not come into play.  I'm sure glad I don't work for the cruiselines at this point ... so many logistics to figure out.  

• Like 1

Maybe in the short term, but long term would probably not be a workable option. Most cabins do not have suitable furnishings to enjoy a dinner meal. If widely used think of the inconvenience to all the other passengers with all the soiled dished in the narrow hallways.  

• Like 2

There's a good point here.  I doubt the MDR menu will be offered but I can imagine some sort of fixed menu offering for in room dining.  They attempted this the first couple days of quarantine on Grand - it was impossible to pull off ship wide (meals arrived at midnight that first day) but as an option on a first come / first serve basis perhaps manageable.

I can also imagine running the MDR's for all lunches (rather than just sea days) for the same reason - to spread folks out.  We'd never ever go to the buffet if there was a served option, but on port days, there is none.

If you are in a suite you can order off the MDR menu for delivery to your room.  Comes all at once including dessert.  Made the mistake of ordering ice cream for dessert.  Had to eat it first.  Ice cream makes a great first course.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, franktown said:

If you are in a suite you can order off the MDR menu for delivery to your room.  Comes all at once including dessert.  Made the mistake of ordering ice cream for dessert.  Had to eat it first.  Ice cream makes a great first course.

When in his 80's, my grandfather always ordered dessert before his entre.  His reasoning was the entre filled him up and he never have enough room for dessert.  Worked out great for him.  If he had part of the entre left, he'd box it up and have left overs for lunch the next day.  Wise man.  🙂

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, I object 2 said:

When in his 80's, my grandfather always ordered dessert before his entre.  His reasoning was the entre filled him up and he never have enough room for dessert.  Worked out great for him.  If he had part of the entre left, he'd box it up and have left overs for lunch the next day.  Wise man.  🙂

There is or was a poster on these Cruise Critic boards with part of his signature as Life's short, eat dessert first.

• Like 1

It is a full suite perk to order off the dinner menu. It would be disastrously if they neglected their full suite passengers to serve the dinner menu to everyone. Eroding a suite perk will cause resentment and diminish the value of paying for a full suite.  By the time we sail everyone will be vaccinated and many restrictions will no longer be required.  

Edited by cruzsnooze
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, cruzsnooze said:

It is a full suite perk to order off the dinner menu. It would be disastrously if they neglected their full suite passengers to serve the dinner menu to everyone.  By the time we sail everyone will be vaccinated and many restrictions will no longer be required.  

Yes, as of 2019 it was a full suite perk.

5 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

It is a full suite perk to order off the dinner menu. It would be disastrously if they neglected their full suite passengers to serve the dinner menu to everyone. Eroding a suite perk will cause resentment and diminish the value of paying for a full suite.  By the time we sail everyone will be vaccinated and many restrictions will no longer be required.  

For a HAL cruise?