Millennium arrives in Phillipsburg!

Sunshine2000

I just wanted to add some information from our experience(s) traveling to St Maarten from Florida.  We obtained the necessary PCR Covid test within the three day required period for travel.  These negative PCR test results we then downloaded to the stmaartenehas.com/application-form with all the necessary travel information they required, such as Airline and flight numbers, length of stay,  place of stay and payment of the required $30.00 for health insurance so that we could obtain the necessary Pre Approval form for our travel.  After submitting this document we received our "Electronic Health Authorization System "Authoriation Pre-Approved" documentation in approximately 20 minutes.  This document was checked by the airline during our physical check-in.

The airport and our flight was well managed for social distancing and all passengers wore their masks.  The flight attendants provided a non-alcoholic beverage and snack service.

Upon landing they have a ramp for passengers to walk to the tarmac where you are directed into the airport immigration area to present your three required documents. 1- Results of your PCR test,  2- St Maarten Authorization Pre-Approved document and  3- Passport.

While inside the immigration area of the airport there are many officials reminding you of what documents you need to prepare to show for entry.

We only had an approximately 20 minute wait, however, we talked with many others that experienced wait times of over 90 minutes.  The wait times differed due to the number of planes landing and the number of passengers.  Wheelchairs are available but they are limited in number.

We had prearranged a taxi for our pick-up although many are readily available. 

Overall, it was a great flight and an easy process.

I'll be happy to answer any questions anyone may have.

In addition, I'll be back to add information about our experience getting our Covid test on the island and the process to return back to the US.

• Like 11

Hello Hal,

Yes the ramp was departing from the plane and it is moderately long.  Passengers also used the ramp to gain entry onto the plane.   Inside the airport is another ramp which everyone is standing on to move through immigration (much like at Disney).  We saw a few people with wheelchairs and many walkers both at the airport and during our stay.

Hope this helps.

7 hours ago, Sunshine2000 said:

I just wanted to add some information from our experience(s) traveling to St Maarten from Florida.  We obtained the necessary PCR Covid test within the three day required period for travel.  These negative PCR test results we then downloaded to the stmaartenehas.com/application-form with all the necessary travel information they required, such as Airline and flight numbers, length of stay,  place of stay and payment of the required $30.00 for health insurance so that we could obtain the necessary Pre Approval form for our travel.  After submitting this document we received our "Electronic Health Authorization System "Authoriation Pre-Approved" documentation in approximately 20 minutes.  This document was checked by the airline during our physical check-in.

The airport and our flight was well managed for social distancing and all passengers wore their masks.  The flight attendants provided a non-alcoholic beverage and snack service.

Upon landing they have a ramp for passengers to walk to the tarmac where you are directed into the airport immigration area to present your three required documents. 1- Results of your PCR test,  2- St Maarten Authorization Pre-Approved document and  3- Passport.

While inside the immigration area of the airport there are many officials reminding you of what documents you need to prepare to show for entry.

We only had an approximately 20 minute wait, however, we talked with many others that experienced wait times of over 90 minutes.  The wait times differed due to the number of planes landing and the number of passengers.  Wheelchairs are available but they are limited in number.

In addition, I'll be back to add information about our experience getting our Covid test on the island and the process to return back to the US.

Thanks for all this information. 

It says on the St. Maarten website that your test results need to say the “source of the swab”

I’ve had many covid tests and my results have never said where they swabbed me, but it has always been the rt-PCR test. 
Did you run into an issue like this?

14 hours ago, Sunshine2000 said:

Are you cruising on the Millennium from St Marten?  I was thinking about doing a June cruise on the Millennium from St Marten, but wanted to fly there a week before the cruise and spend some time on the island..  Did not know if this would be possible, as the covid testing that we will have done in Florida prior to our flight would be expired by the time we cruise?

Thanks for sharing your info.  Hope you have a great  time.

19 hours ago, JennyD1 said:

Are you cruising on the Millennium from St Marten?  I was thinking about doing a June cruise on the Millennium from St Marten, but wanted to fly there a week before the cruise and spend some time on the island..  Did not know if this would be possible, as the covid testing that we will have done in Florida prior to our flight would be expired by the time we cruise?

Thanks for sharing your info.  Hope you have a great  time.

We are sailing on June 19 out of St Maarten. We are staying at the Oyster Bay. They offer testing on site but I also understand that the airport will also offer testing so I think going early will not be a issue. I’m so looking forward to cruising again!!

Departing St Maarten to the US

For our departure from St Maarten back to the US I made reservations (Covid testing must be performed three days before your departure---please refer to the CDC website for more information) at St Maarten Laboratory Services N.V. located at Hamster Drive 1G, which is in sight of the St Maarten Hospital.  We arrived 20 minutes early for our appointment and were greeted with approximately 90 people waiting in front of the building with a Sheriff in front of the entrance.

We were asked if we had an appointment and then given a small square with a number on it which would be called when they were ready for us. The numbers are distributed to your group or family.  For example, if you are in a family of four, you will only receive one (1) number.  Plus, only one person from that family or group is allowed access into the building and is responsible for collecting all the passports for the family or group in addition to payment.  In addition, they requested our passports so that they could make a copy for their records.

Although we and others had appointments, it appeared they operated on a 'first come, first serve' basis.   The waiting area is outside the building with only approximately six (6) chairs for seating and only a roof overhang for about 20 people to be shaded from the sun.

After a 90 minute wait,  our number was called.  I was admitted into the building and guided to a chair to wait to present our passports and payment.  This is a processing area area (much like a hospital admitting area) where they confirmed our data (we were receiving the antigen test) and took our payment by MC. 

I was then told to exit the building to the left and wait inside the tent.  The tent had seating for approximately 10 to 15 people and only my husband and myself were there.  Within about 3 minutes a gentlemen wearing a mask, face shield and gloves came out and called my name.  Only one person can have their Covid test administered at a time.  This gentlemen once again confirmed my name and DOB and asked if I had a preference to which nostril the test sample came from.  He was extremely sensitive in his testing procedure and I hardly blinked.  (Thank goodness) We both were finished with the testing in about 5 minutes.

Our results arrived to my email (they will only email one(1) person in a family or group) in approximately four (4) hours. 

Our resort performs testing on site; however, the date they were performing the test did not coordinate with the three day requirement for our departure.  Yes, they also have a Covid Test Center at the Airport.  I will attach the flyer I received.  According to the informational flyer I received:  1) Results within 30 minutes - Price $110,  2) First Come, first serve - Check in 3 hours prior to boarding,

Licensed Laboratory - Antigen Rapid test FDA and EU approved.

Upon arrival at the airport to check in they require three (3) documents:  1) Passport,  2) Covid test results and  3) PASSENGER DISCLOSURE AND ATTESTATION TO THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.

The above documents are checked and the airline gate agent collected only the "Passenger Disclosure and Attestation to the United States of America."  We were still in possession of our Covid test results.

For boarding you scan your boarding pass and are guided across an internal airport access road to a sidewalk where another airline member rechecks your boarding pass, you continue walking until you reach the tarmac where there is a double ramp to walk up to board the plane.

Again, we had cooperative passengers who wore their masks during the entire flight.  A snack and non-alcoholic  beverage was provided.

Upon landing in Ft. Lauderdale we were greeted with a full airport with hundreds of people.  We have Global Entry and moved through customs quickly.   In the US, nobody ever asked for or collected our Covid testing results.

Please let me know if you have any questions and I'll let you know of our experiences.

I hope you'll find this information reassuring for our cruises out of  St Maarten  on the  Millennium!

Happy Travels!!!

• Like 1

Thanks so much for all th detailed info!!

But one point: the form you include says DURING 3 days before the flight (that is "up to"--no MORE than). And the CDC itself says 1-3 days. So it's not a requirement to get the test a full 3 days prior... (We are still exploring the question of getting an rt-PCR test in St Maarten for the Millie boarding requirement; will post whet we find.)

36 minutes ago, sofietucker said:

Thanks so much for all th detailed info!!

But one point: the form you include says DURING 3 days before the flight (that is "up to"--no MORE than). And the CDC itself says 1-3 days. So it's not a requirement to get the test a full 3 days prior... (We are still exploring the question of getting an rt-PCR test in St Maarten for the Millie boarding requirement; will post whet we find.)

That is correct! 

Sunshine 2000, a question:

We have to get off the Millenium by 8 or 9 AM. My flight isn't until 2 PM. What can I do or where can I go during that timeframe? I assume we can't stay all that time at the airport.

The first cruise we ever took was on the Millennium.  It was in 2008, from Vancouver (?) to Alaska. We liked it so much we decided to cruise back rather than fly. The return cruise was on a Princess ship. The difference was amazing. Compared to the Millennium, the Princess ship was shabby.

On 4/7/2021 at 11:02 AM, Sunshine2000 said:

When I wrote to EHAS, I got information that stated the following. PCR 5 days prior to arrival. Then EHAS form. Then 48 hours prior to arrival a rapid test. Did you have to do the rapid test 48 hours prior?D0BEABD4-A77C-408F-85BF-96025D35A1AB.thumb.jpeg.0268eb09a1d3b447ddf80f954089adda.jpeg

Dear Richard,

We had the PCR test performed for our travel in March performed three days before our travel which we then uploaded our test results to stmaartenehas.com/application-form and obtained our Pre-approval form for travel to St Maarten.

We talked with several guests who were denied their "Pre-approval" for a myriad of reasons.  Most frequently this was because they submitted paperwork that did not have the laboratory name or even their name on the testing results.  These individuals acknowledged they were given a 'summary' and not test results.

The overwhelming majority of guests submitted their test results and had not problems obtaining the necessary "Pre-approval" form for entry.

We obtained the Antigen test (from St. Maarten Laboratory Services N.V.) for our departure in March for our return to the US and it was accepted at the St Maarten airport.

14 hours ago, rsail203 said:

Sunshine 2000, a question:

We have to get off the Millenium by 8 or 9 AM. My flight isn't until 2 PM. What can I do or where can I go during that timeframe? I assume we can't stay all that time at the airport.

Hello rsail203,

We are also exploring this timing dilemma since our flight departs late also. 

The St Maarten airport is small but has a few eating take away places and their are plently of tables and seats following the walkway inside the airport to the back where the departing gates are located. 

Most of the shops on Front Street are open along with many restaurants in Simpson Bay.

On 4/5/2021 at 1:39 PM, George C said:

We like their sky suites access to Luminae is main thing , have not been on ship with retreat yet , loved the old micheals suite lounge. 

They did (IMO) a great job with the Revoluionization refurbishment of the Millie...

The Retreat - the old Michaels Club is now much brighter as they redid it with the Retreat colour scheme of white & grey ... they converted the top forwarde deck into the Retreat Sundeck with a hot tub... no pool ... and no bar but the attendants are there to bring you whatever refreshment you wish...  and yes this area of the ship is now restricted to suite guests only.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sunshine2000 said:

Dear Richard,

We had the PCR test performed for our travel in March performed three days before our travel which we then uploaded our test results to stmaartenehas.com/application-form and obtained our Pre-approval form for travel to St Maarten.

We talked with several guests who were denied their "Pre-approval" for a myriad of reasons.  Most frequently this was because they submitted paperwork that did not have the laboratory name or even their name on the testing results.  These individuals acknowledged they were given a 'summary' and not test results.

The overwhelming majority of guests submitted their test results and had not problems obtaining the necessary "Pre-approval" form for entry.

We obtained the Antigen test (from St. Maarten Laboratory Services N.V.) for our departure in March for our return to the US and it was accepted at the St Maarten airport.

I guess you can do the PCR from between 5 and  3 days prior and then fill out the form. We will be using Walgreens, so I am sure we will be given proper information. That I understand. Did you also get a rapid test 48 hour before arrival to St. or just the PCR? Just want to make sure I understand before booking.