NCL new proposal - July 4 start out of US ports

DaveOKC

NCL today proposed that it starts sailing out of US ports July 4.  It would require that all passengers and crew be vaccinated.

Market likes the proposal, with stocks of all cruiselines up 5-10 % on this.  Of course, still need CDC approval of the plan.  Appears to me to be a way for the cruiselines to put pressure on the CDC.

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

Certainly a good date to pick!  Let’s see how it goes.

It would be renamed Cruise Independence Day, but not an American Holiday since all the ships are foreign flagged.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Gracie115 said:

The best thing about this is that NCL also said all crew and passengers must be vaccinated.

Agreed, as that is one of our conditions to return to cruising. I also like that the CDC is requiring (recommending) that all port personal be vaccinated also. 

• Like 1

Agree about the vaccination requirement (there was no way that elephant was being ignored), however NCL is also saying "trust us" on everything else.  The CDC on the other hand is saying prove that you can consistanty follow a set of protocols.   Grab some popcorn 'cause this ain't over yet. 

• Like 1

Just a question, where would they sail to?  What other countries will be allowing cruise ship to dock at their ports?  Sailing out of a US port sounds great, but they need some where to go.

Edited by geocruiser

Well, that date apparels to be well chosen as it matches President’s Biden’s goal to attempt to reach some sense of normalcy (what that will be is another question 😉 )

But as @geocruiserwisely asked - where can the ship cruise to?  I guess time will tell.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, caladezi said:

There is no mention of mask requirements.  I am totally on board with the vaccine requirement but if I have to wear a mask it's a no go for me.

Sorry, masks are required under the SailSAFE Program. I am just assuming masks will be required on all transport until into 2022 regardless of vaccine status. 

https://www.nclhltdinvestor.com/news-releases/news-release-details/norwegian-cruise-line-holdings-ltd-submits-plan-cdc-and-will-be

"The Company is committed to protecting the health and safety of its guests, crew and communities visited. The SailSAFE health and safety program, with new and enhanced protocols, creates multiple layers of protection against COVID-19, and will be informed by expert guidance, domestic and international governments and public health agencies. These measures, including vaccination requirements, will be continuously refined as science, technology and the knowledge of COVID-19 evolves. Details on the Company’s SailSAFE program can be found here: SailSAFE Health and Safety Program"

Edited by fatcat04
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

@kazuand @geocruiser  Since Royal and Celebrity are sailing from Bermuda, Bahamas, St Martin and visiting Mexico, I’d say those might be a start. 

Agree!  Ports are already in place and the other Cruise Lines have already been in touch with them.  

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Gracie115 said:

The best thing about this is that NCL also said all crew and passengers must be vaccinated.

Agreed.  And they've also made it clear that by "all passengers," they really mean all  -- no kids will be allowed who haven't been vaccinated, unlike the rules under which Celebrity and RCI are starting up this summer out of the Caribbean and Bermuda.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Agreed.  And they've also made it clear that by "all passengers," they really mean all  -- no kids will be allowed who haven't been vaccinated, unlike the rules under which Celebrity and RCI are starting up this summer out of the Caribbean and Bermuda.

I wonder if RCL and Celebrity will follow suit when Cruises resume from U.S. Ports.  Hoping they all will!  

5 hours ago, deliver42 said:

First things first. Without the CDC's OK, there's no reason to reach out to other ports.

From what I understand, part of the suggested protocol that cruise lines must present to the CDC for approval includes what ports have agreed to let the ships port (in spite of any outbreaks onboard) and agreements that sick passengers will be allowed to debark to be treated in those ports.