14 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

Drop them off where?  Lots of ports will tell them to get lost.

I´m from Germany. We have two cruise lines sailing right now (Tui Cruises and AIDA). They are sailing around/at/in (sorry, don´t know the right wording) Canary Isles.

Tui Cruises has created a special safety-package (mandatory testing before the cruise, flying in on special flights with only cruise-passangers...) and it works really well.

If someone is tested positive during their time on board, that person plus all contact-persons will be brought to Gran Canaria for further testing, medical treatment and quarantine for the contact-persons (all covered by TUI Cruises, it comes with your cruise-package).

They had several cruises during the last few months and it is working really well.

They only had (as far as I know) two incidents (on two different cruises) during that time.

But, oh well, I think I can understand where NCL is coming from. Better safe than sorry...

But I really hope, that we can go on our NCL-Cruise to Bermuda October´22 with our two kids (8 and 13), because Germany is extremly slow with the vaccinations 🥴.

A cruise without kids sounds amazing. Cruising isn't a right and they don't have to cater to anyone's wants. I already have a cruise on hold for September from the DR, so they're keeping my business. 

13 hours ago, All-ready2cruise said:

AS far as cancelling your latitudes accounts, this will need to be done by contacting NCL tech support.  They will remove your login information and your Latitude accounts.  

Just to mention, the kids no sail provision is as much to protect your children from the covid 19 virus as anything else since it hasn't been approved for children under 16/18 yet.  But, it's your choice as far as not sailing with NCL again.  It will also be your choice to not sail with CCL, RCCL or any other popular cruise line. 

Take care, I'm sure you've made the right decision.  

Royal is allowing unvaccinated kids.  Carnival hasnt made a policy yet.

1 minute ago, Crazy planning mom said:

Royal is allowing unvaccinated kids.  Carnival hasnt made a policy yet.

I stand corrected.  It doesn't change my stance that I will not cruise if vaccines are not mandatory. 

I applaud the decision.

Its unfortunate, but its the only thing they can do to ensure that COVID doesn't get on these ships.  Valid or not, the cruise industry has been scapegoated by the CDC on this disease.  They are putting the entire industry at a higher standard of safety than they are doing with others.  And the absolute last thing this industry needs is an outbreak.

I have 2 kids, 3 years and 3 months, and I have no problem waiting to travel until they can get their shots or vaccine levels reach a point where herd immunity is reached (which is likely to occur in Q3 this year, at least in the US by current estimates), preferably both.  Its really the only thing we can do to protect them, because, quite frankly, I no longer trust my fellow humans to do what is necessary to keep the populace safe.  Selfishness reared its ugly head the past 12 months, and its really opened my eyes to just how self centered certain groups of people can be, and its the actions of those people which are forcing these kind of policies now.

2 hours ago, AtlantaAlly said:

This isn’t addressing the concern at hand, the concern is: can a cruise ship sail without becoming a super spreader event in which the entire ship has to quarantine. Unvaccinated persons may be less likely to develop serious disease but they are still capable of being superspreaders and the cruise lines don’t want another diamond princess fiasco it would be much more damaging.

How can unvaccinated children be more of superspreaders than vaccinated people. This is the most ridiculous argument. Vaccinated people can spread covid the same as an unvaccinated minor with no symptoms. Please take off the blinders and realize what you are saying. It is the same mentality that restaurants have to close by 10PM because covid is more infectious after that time.

3 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

Your debate about the risk to/from children is with the CDC, not NCL.

I agree. This has nothing to do with NCL's opinion on the matter. After over a year of being shut down they just want to get restarted as soon as possible. I also bet they are hoping it will help with opening up some ports. 

IMO it's a totally over blown knee jerk reaction. It's only temporary to hopefully get cruises restarted. NCL isn't going to lose any sleep over you not cruising with them again.

14 hours ago, HowardK said:

Kids are people too. When kids are old enough , they can learn to drink and gamble responsibly on a cruise- I know I did.

I personally cruise when their aren't children. But one time some kids were hanging out in a hall and one of them called me "sir"- they were brought up correctly and not bothering anyone.

Did FDR do some analysis and come up with kids not being as profitable? Probably. 

Kids have never been profitable, actually the opposite. The don’t gamble, get spa services, shop, and actually make cruise lines hire staff for the kids clubs. 

4 hours ago, BoozinCroozin said:

If that is the case, then there are far more criteria to use than that. Remember this is all covid related. Covid deaths are tied to other morbidities which includes age, obesity, heart and lung conditions, and whether anyone has smoked before. So, lets get this to the most conservative approach

1. No one over the age of 45 or under the age of 16.
  2. No one that has a BMI of more than 18%
  3. No one that has ever had a heart or lung condition (complete medical records required)
  4. No one that has smoked a cigarette
  5. No one that is above 200Lbs for men or 150Lbs for women

How do you think 99% of cruisers would respond to those criteria? I want to hear the heifers cry, the old codgers, the one with 90% blocked arteries, the ones with emphysema, all the smokers, and all of the people that are not physically fit. Remember, this is discrimination with no basis. At least the approach I stated is backed by the science the people have been led to believe. So, lets take the scientific approach and be the most conservative as possible.

Or, maybe just the vaccinated can sail?

13 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

NCL is floating this 100% vaccinated cruises idea as a way to get cruising in the US started again. If the options are 100% vaccinated cruising or just no cruising at all, it seems like this is simply the most logical choice and best business decision. They aren't excluding kids because they WANT to. They are excluding kids because they believe that, if they do, they might be able to sail sooner. You seem to be taking this ridiculously personally. I am certain that if kids could be vaccinated, NCL would have included them. Right now, it's all about appeasing the CDC to get ANY cruising started again.

Exactly.  But that does not stop some people just seeming to get their butt hurt because of a lack of common sense.

15 hours ago, Shidah said:

A cruise without kids is my dream come true.  We just booked in December due to our September Alaska cruise being cancelled, but if the CDC approves NCL’s plan, we would gladly move it up just to enjoy an adult only cruise.  Keeping my fingers crossed!

I'm with you - sounds like a dream!  Part of the reason Virgin appeals to us!  

8 minutes ago, RunBikeCruiseDC said:

I'm with you - sounds like a dream!  Part of the reason Virgin appeals to us!  

I just wish they had a more diverse itinerary.  In time i'm sure they will go to more ports and I will definitely be on one of those sailings!

7 minutes ago, DZcreature said:

No one wants to be on a ship with sniffling, coughing kids. 

No one wants to be on a ship with a sniffing, coughing person who may spread a disease.

Ist does not matter if it is a kid or an adult. 

I'm at the age where I prefer to be on a ship with less children and will sail off peak on lines like Celebrity or Princess. I can't understand for the life of me why anyone who prefers an experience with less families chooses lines like Royal Caribbean, NCL or Carnival. The amusement park amenities are child magnets.

There's a lot of debate here but the fact is NCL wants to get back in business as soon as possible. Most of their customers will appreciate stringent measures to protect their health and prevent outbreaks. The ones who don't appreciate it have the option of staying home or finding another cruise line. If CDC doesn't buy into this NCL plan, they won't be able to sail from or to USA ports, and that keeps the cruise line effectively out of business. I have a feeling CDC will adjust its guidelines based on these solid and sensible proposals. If the idea of wearing a mask in the public spaces on a ship is a bummer for you, just pick another kind of vacation for now.  No one's life is being ruined by these rules. Certainly not compared to the impact even one case of Covid can have. Some of the posters on here seem to think that 121 kids dead of Covid-19 is not really enough to get worried about. To me, every single kid and adult needs to be protected, cruising is a leisure activity and avoiding infection/illness/death is much more important to me.

Our Greek cruise was just canceled this am on the pearl and I was hopeful about rescheduling on the Jade until I saw the kid thing. We bring our 12 yr old with us.

I don’t fault them for demanding the vaccine and keeping kids home until they are. I was hoping they’d allow negative tests instead but I get it. 

I don’t take it as an anti-kid affront more than a “we can’t have an outbreak or we are dead” situation. 

5 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I can't understand for the life of me why anyone who prefers an experience with less families chooses lines like Royal Caribbean, NCL or Carnival.

Well, I guess if we all liked the same things, including cruise lines, they'd be no reason for the variety of offerings that we have access to now.  

I'm platinum with NCL and really enjoy their entertainment and venues for dining as well.  So, I will continue cruising with them.  Age is not always a factor when choosing a cruise line or A1 vacation anyway.  

Take care, enjoy your cruises. 

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

....... So you mean all the kids stuff then. 

Yup. We old folks love that stuff too.

Edited by coffeebean
6 hours ago, BoozinCroozin said:

............I know people that refuse to wear a mask and never contracted it. I wear a mask most times in public and caught it. .............

Sorry folks for having to rehash this for the umteenth time but here goes..........

Those people who refuse to wear a mask must have been protected by folks who WERE wearing masks. Universal masking is effective for source control, not nearly as effective for protection.

You wearing a mask did not protect you very well as you seem to feel it should have. As I have already said, masking is effective for source control. You needed to DISTANCE yourself from others and stay FAR FAR away from anyone not wearing a mask or not wearing their mask PROPERLY. You also should have been keeping your hands away from your face. That is the way to have a better chance to not contract this virus. Everyone should be following these guidelines.

5 hours ago, MacMarauder said:

I have kids as well but I don't see this as NCL targeting kids, I see it as NCL is trying to get their ships sailing again any way possible. They wanted to throw down the gauntlet at the CDC. It still might not work but at least they played their strongest hand which is to offer 100% vaccinated crew and guests.

BRAVO NCL!

33 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

Drop them off where? Which port will want to take Covid positive people?

I´m from Germany. We have two cruise lines sailing right now (Tui Cruises and AIDA). They are sailing around/at/in (sorry, don´t know the right wording) Canary Isles.

Tui Cruises has created a special safety-package (mandatory testing before the cruise, flying in on special flights with only cruise-passangers...) and it works really well.

If someone is tested positive during their time on board, that person plus all contact-persons will be brought to Gran Canaria for further testing, medical treatment and quarantine for the contact-persons (all covered by TUI Cruises, it comes with your cruise-package).

They had several cruises during the last few months and it is working really well.

They only had (as far as I know) two incidents (on two different cruises) during that time.