Jump to content

No kids, no NCL. Ever.


Heymarco
 Share

Recommended Posts

19 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

Thank you. So much for the "it'll only take one sick person to stop the whole cruise" BS that's been littered about on this website like so much cow dung. 🤣

Lucky for people in Germany. They don't have to deal with the CDC. Their cruises seem to have only had a couple people sick/positive for Covid, but if that happened in the U.S. the CDC could shut things down again.

NCL is just doing what they have to in order to sail. The CDC said vaccinated people could travel, so NCL is agreeing with them by say they will require a vaccine. I hope it works, but so far the CDC seems to be ignoring NCL's letter stating their intent.

I agree with you that ridiculous restrictions need to end, but the OPs beef should be with the CDC, not NCL.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

 

Pro Tip:  If you want it to die out, don't respond anymore or flag your original post and request the mod to delete/lock it.  Folks around these parts love to flog a dead horse.

 

Cheers!

How much is the Horse ? X

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Kids can be profitable- if viewed from a customer lifetime value abstract.

 

If I kid likes cruising, even though they might not make money on the initial cruise - he might think .

 

"Hmmm when I was 12 I went on a cruise and even though NCL lost money, I liked the beer I got from others." He then goes on 10 cruises based on his love for crusiing from being a child.

So, kids should be allowed on cruises but not when there is school in September.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, HowardK said:

Kids can be profitable- if viewed from a customer lifetime value abstract.

 

If I kid likes cruising, even though they might not make money on the initial cruise - he might think .

 

"Hmmm when I was 12 I went on a cruise and even though NCL lost money, I liked the beer I got from others." He then goes on 10 cruises based on his love for crusiing from being a child.

So, kids should be allowed on cruises but not when there is school in September.

I highly doubt the cruise industry is going to lose a generation of potential clients just because kids can't sail in 2021.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, DZcreature said:

Lucky for people in Germany. They don't have to deal with the CDC. Their cruises seem to have only had a couple people sick/positive for Covid, but if that happened in the U.S. the CDC could shut things down again.

NCL is just doing what they have to in order to sail. The CDC said vaccinated people could travel, so NCL is agreeing with them by say they will require a vaccine. I hope it works, but so far the CDC seems to be ignoring NCL's letter stating their intent.

I agree with you that ridiculous restrictions need to end, but the OPs beef should be with the CDC, not NCL.

Speaking of the original poster (Heymarco), I wonder if he has been reading all these responses with an open mind. Any chance Heymarco has come around to understand the reason why NCL has taken such a drastic stance on mandating all be vaccinated?

 

Heymarco.....what do you have to say about this?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/5/2021 at 7:45 PM, Shidah said:

A cruise without kids is my dream come true.  We just booked in December due to our September Alaska cruise being cancelled, but if the CDC approves NCL’s plan, we would gladly move it up just to enjoy an adult only cruise.  Keeping my fingers crossed!

I feel the same and why we are looking at Virgin Voyages, however I have to say that NCL has such great kids programs that I don't see that many annoying kids...unless the parents are drunk and the kids are out running the ship.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We have two  cruises booked with NCL, both have been rescheduled.  Looking forward to both with all on board having been vaccinated.  If they change this policy, then count us out of both.

The children clause makes perfect sense as they can not be. But agree with many, we would gladly book on a No Kids cruise. Have also done Universal Studios twice with no kids and had a blast!!  And yes we have and Gkids too, however we can see them back at home.

   See y’all soon, fingers crossed and masks on!!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

NO Kids on Cruises?  Great!   Some parents don't watch their kids at the buffet line and they take food and put it back.  Basically ......this is a turn off for me when eating.  But.....some parents just let their kids do whatever they want.  

Oh.....and we have 3 cruises booked.....September 2021......December 2021.......and February 2022.  This month's cruise was cancelled.

Edited by NEWJERSEYCOP
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/5/2021 at 8:36 PM, toocruisin2 said:

I may have this wrong but I think the mandatory vaccine is only in effect through October; I don't think this will affect a lot of actual cruises. While it could be extended, based upon conditions later on this year, it may not be.

 

I'm hopeful that the FDA will be able to approve a vaccine for those younger than 17 shortly, but in the meantime I believe that giving adults the opportunity to sail in an environment in which guests and crew have been vaccinated is a positive.

 

My concern is still this: what will the cruise lines, US and non-US cities, states and countries do if someone (vaccinated or not) contracts covid while on a cruise. While setting a standard for reducing risk is a great start, there is always going to be a risk of someone getting the virus; NCL and the ports of call need to have an agreed upon mechanism to handle sick crew and guests without creating disruption for the remaining guests.

 

I'm vaccinated, and I won't get on a ship if there's a chance we'd be stuck on board while the cruise line and governments bicker about how to handle infected and non-infected guests and crew.

It is age 16 and over in NY.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, NEWJERSEYCOP said:

NO Kids on Cruises?  Great!   Some parents don't watch their kids at the buffet line and they take food and put it back.  Basically ......this is a turn off for me when eating.  But.....some parents just let their kids do whatever they want.  

Oh.....and we have 3 cruises booked.....September 2021......December 2021.......and February 2022.  This month's cruise was cancelled.

Or the adults who load up their plate and munch as they handle more food utensils?  Or stuff the french fries in their mouth while still getting other items in line? or how about picking off dried fruit in bowl in the lines  with their barehands and popping it in their mouth?  It isn't just kids that take and replace items,  I sit and see it the whole time I am eating because we tend to sit in the small center tables.  Some kids just let thir parents do what ever they want. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/5/2021 at 8:46 PM, GA Dave said:

Based on everything that has happened between the CDC and the cruise lines over the past 12 months, this open letter was just a ploy by Frank and the other cruise line execs to have ammunition when they sue the CDC in the Florida courts.  Everyone needs to relax, as the kids are in the same position as their parents:  The CDC is not going to allow these ships to sail out of the USA unless the courts smack them down.  If the courts side with the cruise industry, then the kids will be able to travel too, just like they can on airplanes, trains, buses, even to themeparks.

Exactly Dave. Spot on. The lawyers need something in writing from CDC saying even with Vaccines you stick to the phased restart plan. That closes the case for unfair treatment with respect to international policy for travel and vaccinated relief. Indeed sit tight folks. Ole FDR isnt expecting them to say yes, hes waiting for them to say no, or some more of the same and then they have themselves a pretty solid case, IMHO. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As the UK have so many people vaccinated now they have seen a big drop in the number of fatalities but the infection rate is still higher than they would like.  Please see the extract from the bbc news site 

 

"Infections were most common in primary and early secondary school-aged children (five to 12-year-olds) and lowest in the over-65s, which the Imperial team said was "consistent with an effect from the vaccination rollout".

 

This may help to explain why NCL don't want unvaccinated children onboard

 

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-56663969

 

 

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, NEWJERSEYCOP said:

NO Kids on Cruises?  Great!   Some parents don't watch their kids at the buffet line and they take food and put it back....

 

Yep, we've seen parents take food and put it back too! 😊

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow, sooo many Users here who have the opinion that almost all kids are unruly, loud and disturbing while on a cruise and all adults are behaving perfectly fine all the time .

Wow....just wow!

 

There are cruiselines out there which are great for those adults who are panicking if they hear kids laughing and/or having fun in the pool. 

But choosing a cruiseline, which ist family-friendly and which has their ships designed to entertain the whole family and then starting to moan about the fact that you will find kids on these ships is odd. 

 

 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

For all those gloating and being so gleeful about no kids should really think about a reality check. 

 

Families make up around 40% of the total cruising market this jumps up significantly when you only include the mass market lines.

 

Do you really think the mass market lines invested billions of dollars in their new ships to attract couples and adult only cruising. There is a place for this but you will pay through the nose for the privilege.

 

The modern mass market cruiselines are relatively inexpensive cruise holiday and is just not viable if the kids restriction lasts for an extended period.

 

There is a very good reason why prices shoot up during school holiday periods as this then off sets pricing at other times when families generally do not cruise and the only way to fill ships is to offer huge discounts and this is just not sustainable year round. 

 

Pricing for cruising around the UK without kids is way above normal pricing and after an initial surge cruiselines are now struggling to get enough bookings to fill even the limited capacity for all dates.

 

No kids equates to the death of the modern cruise industry and I am pretty sure your wallets and bank accounts will not thankyou for it.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, SpainAlien said:

As the UK have so many people vaccinated now they have seen a big drop in the number of fatalities but the infection rate is still higher than they would like.  Please see the extract from the bbc news site 

 

"Infections were most common in primary and early secondary school-aged children (five to 12-year-olds) and lowest in the over-65s, which the Imperial team said was "consistent with an effect from the vaccination rollout".

 

This may help to explain why NCL don't want unvaccinated children onboard

 

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-56663969

 

 

 

 

I wouldn't believe everything you read in the news or online, according to one news story the UK will achieve herd immunity on Monday at which point it could be argued that restricting kids is pointless as the disease is now endemic in the population and other than hygiene and general precautions all other restrictions will make little to no difference to the spread of the disease. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Although I can understand the need for safety, I don’t understand the emphasis on unvaccinated children. If you are vaccinated you are supposed to be safe if I’m correct. However, it is not clear to me if you are not able to transfer the virus to other people. Also, does this mean you cannot go out by yourself in a port, since you might be infected by people living there or bring it to the ship in another way? Will ports allow vaccinated people in their cities, risking infecting local unvaccinated people by cruisers who might bring it from the ship? It seems to me continuous testing, with measures taken when positive testing occurs, is the way for safe cruising, for people on board as well as in ports. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, nomad098 said:

 

I wouldn't believe everything you read in the news or online, according to one news story the UK will achieve herd immunity on Monday at which point it could be argued that restricting kids is pointless as the disease is now endemic in the population and other than hygiene and general precautions all other restrictions will make little to no difference to the spread of the disease. 

I saw the herd immunity claim but the realised it was the Daily Mail so ignored it

 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

In my neck of the woods the infection rate among elementary, middle school and high school aged kids is increasing daily.  This is mostly due to weekend parties among high schoolers, sports teams resuming, and older siblings carrying the virus to younger siblings.  I think the cruise lines will have to figure out a way to have the younger people safely onboard if they are not allowed to be vaccinated due to their age,  as that is a large part of many line's demographics.  They would not be building ships with water parks, ropes courses, roller coasters, rockwalls,  etc. otherwise.  Family vacations (as we have taken and still take - even with our adult "kids") are wanted and needed at this time, with the covid restrictions lowering a bit.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, nomad098 said:

No kids equates to the death of the modern cruise industry and I am pretty sure your wallets and bank accounts will not thankyou for it.

 

It's pretty clear that NCL is not proposing a "no kids" policy now let alone forever.  It's proposing a no UNVACCINATED passengers policy, for this restart of cruising.  If kids can get vaccinated, fine.  If they can't, then for this temporary period while NCL takes some baby steps in its return to service, that's how NCL wants to do it.  I don't blame them.  And I don't think they will have any problem selling cabins.

 

NCL is not intending to keep kids off its ships on a permanent basis. 

  • Like 12
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of the TripInsuranceStore.com Jan '22
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: AmaWaterways - Journey Through Europe
      • ICYMI Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with Silversea Cruises
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...