1 hour ago, SpainAlien said:

I saw the herd immunity claim but the realised it was the Daily Mail so ignored it

Quite a few running with it now as information came from University College London models.

24 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

It's pretty clear that NCL is not proposing a "no kids" policy now let alone forever.  It's proposing a no UNVACCINATED passengers policy, for this restart of cruising.  If kids can get vaccinated, fine.  If they can't, then for this temporary period while NCL takes some baby steps in its return to service, that's how NCL wants to do it.  I don't blame them.  And I don't think they will have any problem selling cabins.

NCL is not intending to keep kids off its ships on a permanent basis. 

I agree it should only be a temporary situation, 

but you have people posting on these boards who would like to see the temporary ban on kids be made permanent, it's these people that need a reality check, as without families cruising, things would have to change dramatically in the cruise industry and not necessarily for the better.

It will be interesting to see in the future once the initial surge in bookings is over if people are prepared to fill the rest of the cabins available for this summer.

50 minutes ago, nomad098 said:

but you have people posting on these boards who would like to see the temporary ban on kids be made permanent

Try not to ascribe too much importance to the mad ravings of the proverbial peanut gallery. A lot of people on these boards demand a LOT of things; doesn't mean they'll get them. I highly doubt the CEO's of the major cruise lines are going to make a permanent ban because some keyboard warrior on Cruise Critic told them to. (and that goes for anything I might say, as well)

On 4/6/2021 at 5:56 AM, BoozinCroozin said:

I am right there with you. To publicly exclude kids is the stupidest decision NCL could make. Cruising is not starting until November unless the cruise industry files and injunction in Federal Court. That should be done on a unified front with NCL, RCL, CCL, and all others with one law firm. Then, require all passengers that are eligible to be vaccinated be required to be vaccinated. Children that cannot can have covid tests on embarkation, temp checks, another covid test mid cruise, and everything is fine.

For all of the old codgers that are happy kids can't cruise, I hope they are just as happy in the waning time that none of their kids or grandkids are around to see them then either. You deserve it.

Us " old codgers"  say--your screen name says it all!!!

5 hours ago, Gabriele73 said:

Wow, sooo many Users here who have the opinion that almost all kids are unruly, loud and disturbing while on a cruise and all adults are behaving perfectly fine all the time .

Wow....just wow!

There are cruiselines out there which are great for those adults who are panicking if they hear kids laughing and/or having fun in the pool. 

But choosing a cruiseline, which ist family-friendly and which has their ships designed to entertain the whole family and then starting to moan about the fact that you will find kids on these ships is odd. 

I agree. Of the 40+ cruises we've been on, it's always been some adult behavior that makes one shake their head....and we've done 6 Cunard. We all have our own values and beliefs.

On 54 cruises we have not had many issues with kids. Mostly they keep to the Kid Clubs with supervision. Occasionally we have had small disturbances with unruly families and unaccompanied kids at the buffet!  The Transatlantics and any long cruise will have very few kids onboard. 

Posted (edited)

I've had less issues with kids on cruises than I have had with grown adults who can't handle their liquor.

Plus, I'd rather deal with a kid than someone who is raising a stink about vaccines because some instagram celebrity told them vaccines are bad and they think wearing a mask is an affront to their civil liberties.  Unfortunately, its those kind of people who are forcing the hands of industries to require vaccines of their participants, which, at least for now, will bar children from such venues.

Edited by Beardface

While we don't have anything against children on a cruise, we basically cruise when there are fewer children on board. OF course the OP has the right to choose to not cruise with any company that says no children they should realize that this will be temporary until children can get the vaccine, once that happens they will again allow children on board.

14 hours ago, HowardK said:

My kids just read all the fighting on this board and now have no desire to cruise- they wonder if the adults fight as much on board. 

Nice

4 hours ago, GEMarshall said:

I would say give NCL a call and tell them that you don't support a cruise line that is trying to stay in business by doing vaccinated cruises only while the covid-19 deaths are still continuing in the US.  As a teacher I know how unimportant it is to keep our kids safe at school which is why I tell them to stop wearing their masks, sit close together and share food and drinks.  Kids are the most unimportant people we have in our society and so we should not care if all of them can't be vaccinated yet, except of course for the kids who can be vaccinated before fall and they could cruise.

I have a friend who has remained a anti-vaccine person so far but his daughter who has recently turned 18 will be getting herself vaccinated so she could cruise.  When you call NCL, tell them that you don't support vaccines because you don't care about anyone but yourself, you wouldn't mind seeing the US be more and more negatively affected by the covid-19 like Brazil is.  I'm sure if you believe what I say and tell NCL what I've just told you to tell them, they and all of us NCL passengers will be glad you won't be on a ship with us.   I've been on a ship with norovirus and it is not pleasant.  NCL is trying to make cruising safe for all of us and I support that decision and of course do actually spend a certain amount of my school day working to do the best I can to keep our students safe.  For example, besides masking and social distance, we have to spray off and clean the desks between students which involves my mask being somewhat coated with that spray so I have to sometimes changes my washable masks during my work day so I can avoid having to breathe all of that.

Also, I'm wondering if there might be a situation where non vaccinated folks won't be allowed to disembark in some countries due to those country's rules which are ever changing.  Wouldn't it be better to be prepared ahead of time for this?  In January 2020, the NCL Jade has to disembark some of its passengers from certain countries just to try to keep its itinerary, but then the county which demanded that precaution, didn't let them in anyway.  I am hoping that we will be allowed to sail the itinerary we pay for sooner, not just later and think the vaccination is the only clear path we have in the next few years.  My concern with the NCL policy requiring vaccinated passengers is that it expires at the end of October 2021 and that is something I disagree with them on and hope they will extend it at least through 2022 and maybe beyond that point. 

Gwen 

Vaccine or no vaccine, I hope I never cruise with you or anyone as nasty as you.  So happy to hear you are an educator, bonus.  

9 minutes ago, cruisin07family said:

Vaccine or no vaccine, I hope I never cruise with you or anyone as nasty as you.  So happy to hear you are an educator, bonus.  

Dear Sheldon,

You missed it...

a.jpg.5143db35e25b00cabdc678d201a0b617.jpg

My concern now is the variants, and then what if the vaccines are not as effective against them- then there is the risk the ships reopen, and once again will have cases on ships. 

I think at some point it would be like- well we didn't cruise or do so forth for 2 years and it is time to live again.

If you don't let kids on cruises, then you will lose the parents who paid for the kids and they will spend their money and days waiting in long lines at an amusement park.

A better approach could be , we will let vaccinated children at least 16 or 18 onboard until a time comes when all children can be on board.

Maybe there needs to be a compromise somewhere? I don't know.  I'm just dismayed at the prospect of having to go on a boat and social distance, wear masks, not have a buffett etc. 

Will all the drink glasses be plastic on not reusable glass? Silverware, etc...

I am sure all the people with the big bonuses haven't been thinking about it as they are too busy fighting with the CDC etc.

4 hours ago, kollegekreed said:

Once you get that taken care of please also delete your account here....cause you won’t be cruising ever.on any line. 

Oh snap

On 4/7/2021 at 9:20 PM, HowardK said:

My kids just read all the fighting on this board and now have no desire to cruise- they wonder if the adults fight as much on board. 

I feel badly about that @HowardK.  It dose seem to bring out the worst in us what are put in an uncomfortable position or uncompromising state.  I hope you can explain that this is a situation which we've never faced before.  

Still sad though. 

Cheers, all the best. 

Got email offer today that included lots of stuff free including “kids sail free.”   Is it just on some cruises?  Or are kids really banned on all cruises?   NCL is known as a cruise for young families.  Are they ditching that?

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

Got email offer today that included lots of stuff free including “kids sail free.”   Is it just on some cruises?  Or are kids really banned on all cruises?   NCL is known as a cruise for young families.  Are they ditching that?

Kids aren't banned.  But until they have a vaccine for kids, they won't be able to sail if vaccinations are required.

Pfizer has test data for 12-16 year olds and seems to be close to submitting for approval.

Edited by julig22
On 4/5/2021 at 6:33 PM, JamieLogical said:

NCL is floating this 100% vaccinated cruises idea as a way to get cruising in the US started again. If the options are 100% vaccinated cruising or just no cruising at all, it seems like this is simply the most logical choice and best business decision. They aren't excluding kids because they WANT to. They are excluding kids because they believe that, if they do, they might be able to sail sooner. You seem to be taking this ridiculously personally. I am certain that if kids could be vaccinated, NCL would have included them. Right now, it's all about appeasing the CDC to get ANY cruising started again.

I agree. A very intelligent and thoughtful comment.. It is not personal. Only a way to get cruising again and I am behind this move 100%.

On 4/5/2021 at 7:35 PM, divincenzo said:

I think this is a slight overreaction.

No, not if you're familiar with his posts on other forums on cruise critic.

Posted (edited)
On 4/6/2021 at 8:41 AM, Goldconnection said:

Oh my that’s no way to feel. Maybe you should take a CC break. 

No.....that would be one less pot stirrer!   He just jumped over to NCL because of their announcement.  Had to put up with his "kids should cruise no matter" what drivel on other boards, primarily Royal and Carnival.

Edited by SNJCruisers
6 minutes ago, Gabriele73 said:

As soon as there is „Herdenimmunität“ (That is the german word,

Very similar; two words for us: “herd immunity.”   Which we may not get to if there are too many anti-vaxxers. 

23 hours ago, nomad098 said:

For all those gloating and being so gleeful about no kids should really think about a reality check. 

They know what the reality is.  It's a short term policy by NCL that is fluid and adjustments will be made as vaccinations become available for kids and hopefully herd immunity is reached.  If the policy allows them to put some money in the coffers while initially embarking outside the US and at the same time put some pressure on the CDC, then it's a great policy...for the short term.

1 hour ago, Gabriele73 said:

As soon as there is „Herdenimmunität“ (That is the german word, I do ˋnt know the english phrase for it)

Gabriele, the English phrase is herd immunity.