Jump to content

Viking's Welcome Back Program


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, philw1776 said:

Taking wife, daughter and 18 yr old HS senior granddaughter on 3 July cruise. Got shut out of 17th cruise. Got quoted another $8,500 for business class by Viking!!!  Hate Iceland Air economy.

 

Cost me about $3100 for both of us. If I booked the night before, it would have cost me around $2800. It would be cheaper for you to fly in the day before and stay in a hotel than to book with Viking.

Edited by Peregrina651
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, librarylady19 said:

Any sign of shore excursions yet? We are on 7/3 sailing.

Sorry if I missed this in the earlier part of the thread. Have Viking mandated that you must only go ashore as part of a Viking excursion bubble on the Iceland and Bermuda Welcome Back cruises?

 

On the Welcome Back - UK cruises, exploring on your own is not permitted.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

 

Cost me about $3100 for both of us. If I booked the night before, it would have cost me around $2800. It would be cheaper for you to fly in the day before and stay in a hotel than to book with Viking.

We are on 7/3 cruise too and booked direct with Iceland Air for $700 pp; Viking Air was $1,098 pp! We have been to Iceland before and transport is very well organized there. I am fine with Iceland Air Economy, it's only a 6 hour flight from Chicago and was more "comfortable" than many United Economy flights we've taken to Europe.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, NeilP57 said:

Sorry if I missed this in the earlier part of the thread. Have Viking mandated that you must only go ashore as part of a Viking excursion bubble on the Iceland and Bermuda Welcome Back cruises?

 

On the Welcome Back - UK cruises, exploring on your own is not permitted.

Yes, that is my understanding. You can read Viking’s sailing protocols here which includes that excursions may be limited. 
https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/my-trip/health-and-safety/health-and-safety-program.html

Edited by Clay Clayton
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, librarylady19 said:

We are on 7/3 cruise too and booked direct with Iceland Air for $700 pp; Viking Air was $1,098 pp! We have been to Iceland before and transport is very well organized there. I am fine with Iceland Air Economy, it's only a 6 hour flight from Chicago and was more "comfortable" than many United Economy flights we've taken to Europe.

 

Our last flight in economy was 6 hours of misery for both of us. This time, we are splurging, part of the return to travel celebration. 🎈

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Yes, that is my understanding. You can read Viking’s sailing protocols here which includes that excursions may be limited. 
https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/my-trip/health-and-safety/health-and-safety-program.html

 

 

Also read: https://docs.vikingcruises.com/pdf/210405_COVID-19PoliciesAndProcedures_Ver1.pdf  which spells out even more details including this statement about Shore Excursions:

 

SHORE EXCURSIONS. During the initial return to sailing, guests will only be allowed to participate in excursions or activities executed and escorted by Viking-approved tour operators who maintain Viking’s level of COVID-19 controls to help limit potential exposure. Throughout the duration of the shore excursion, guests will be asked to remain with their cruise companions. There may be additional restrictions during shore excursions depending on local conditions. Noncompliance by guest or members of guest’s traveling party with COVID-19 Policies and Procedures shall be grounds for refusal to re-board after going ashore

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

 

 

Also read: https://docs.vikingcruises.com/pdf/210405_COVID-19PoliciesAndProcedures_Ver1.pdf  which spells out even more details including this statement about Shore Excursions:

 

SHORE EXCURSIONS. During the initial return to sailing, guests will only be allowed to participate in excursions or activities executed and escorted by Viking-approved tour operators who maintain Viking’s level of COVID-19 controls to help limit potential exposure. Throughout the duration of the shore excursion, guests will be asked to remain with their cruise companions. There may be additional restrictions during shore excursions depending on local conditions. Noncompliance by guest or members of guest’s traveling party with COVID-19 Policies and Procedures shall be grounds for refusal to re-board after going ashore

Thanks.  I tried to find that as I knew I had read it but couldn’t. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Thanks.  I tried to find that as I knew I had read it but couldn’t. 

 

Right, because they hide the link in the footer of every webpage (reader slaps forehead), along with

 

fine reading all.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

 

Our last flight in economy was 6 hours of misery for both of us. This time, we are splurging, part of the return to travel celebration. 🎈

Good for you ! I like to say that if you don’t treat yourself well, who will 😄

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/8/2021 at 5:30 PM, Clay Clayton said:

We ended up having two more from our roll call join us so (based on the current 5 folks) for $74 per person, we get picked up, at KEF, driven to the Blue Lagoon, driver waits with our luggage for up to 3 hours and then drives us to the cruise port. I need to figure out whether we will do Flybus or a private shuttle back to the airport upon disembarkation.  

Some years ago, we visited the Blue Lagoon that was very relaxing.  I did get lava in a toe that took a number years to work its way out and I still have problems.  If you go to the Blue Lagoon wear water shoes as you can't see the lava.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/8/2021 at 9:11 AM, Azulann said:

Great to hear from you. I will be on the Viking Orion ! So excited . Yes , I will post a running review while on board. July 13 -20. I figure Viking will have all the kinks out by our sailing. Looking forward to seeing Bermuda .

We'll be on board that cruise as well. Looking forward to meeting you. I assume you're on the roll call.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/14/2021 at 3:22 PM, fudgbug said:

Some years ago, we visited the Blue Lagoon that was very relaxing.  I did get lava in a toe that took a number years to work its way out and I still have problems.  If you go to the Blue Lagoon wear water shoes as you can't see the lava.

OMG ! 

 

What exactly does that mean... you got “lava in a toe”

IN your toe? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, SempreMare said:

OMG ! 

 

What exactly does that mean... you got “lava in a toe”

IN your toe? 

While walking in the pool, I stepped on some ragged lava and a piece stabbed into my big toe.  The water in the lagoon is milky so you can't see the bottom.  Do wear water shoes!  When in Iceland again, we will go back to the Blue Lagoon as it was a pleasant, relaxing experience.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, fudgbug said:

While walking in the pool, I stepped on some ragged lava and a piece stabbed into my big toe.  The water in the lagoon is milky so you can't see the bottom.  Do wear water shoes!  When in Iceland again, we will go back to the Blue Lagoon as it was a pleasant, relaxing experience.

So the bottom isn’t the soft bottom they describe? 😢

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

So the bottom isn’t the soft bottom they describe? 😢

Yes and no. Soft flat sand with random lumps of lava scattered around. Blue milky water so you can’t see the lava lumps.😳

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

Yes and no. Soft flat sand with random lumps of lava scattered around. Blue milky water so you can’t see the lava lumps.😳

Exactly!

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, vslparis said:

The in water massage there  looks pretty good !

Did not have a massage but the water itself is very comfy.  Warm and soft.  You can find hot vents  and let the water beat on you.  Loved it...

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

I just want to express my condolences to anyone that has booked the June 15th Bermuda “cruise”, ol’ Ragnar will be aboard.  There is still time to change your reservation.

Aaarrrgghhh! Raggy, how could you do that to Viking when they are trying so hard to get restarted? People will be transferring to Carnival so desperate to get away from Ragnar the Foul.🍸🍺🥃😱

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

I just want to express my condolences to anyone that has booked the June 15th Bermuda “cruise”, ol’ Ragnar will be aboard.  There is still time to change your reservation.

I wish I had seen this before I booked the cruise! 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites

On MVJ, is it possible to UN-BOOK a dinner reservation?  We booked The Restaurant but want to change it to the Chef's Table and it does not seem possible to do so.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was told to go to the calendar where your restaurant reservations are shown and cancel from there.  However, I never got to try that, because when I was eligible to book the speciality reservations, MVJ wasn’t working for me and I had to call Viking and have them do it, which they did.  And that is your second option, I guess, just to call.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, JM0115 said:

On MVJ, is it possible to UN-BOOK a dinner reservation?  We booked The Restaurant but want to change it to the Chef's Table and it does not seem possible to do so.

Don't hold me to it but I believe if you book the Chef's Table it will then show both bookings and you can choose which one to keep.  Might have changed since I last did this. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: American Queen Steamboat Company - Celebrate Your Freedom
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com - June 2021
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...