Viking's Welcome Back Program

Posted (edited)

I think that was “pre” having to book the main restaurant.  Those restaurant reservations are made weeks before you are eligible to book the speciality restaurants, even if you are in the owner’s suite.  So now you can go to the calendar, tap the blue shaded reservation, and then There pops up a cancel option.  I told Viking that to me, it would make more sense to book the speciality first, then fill in with restaurant reservations.  Big change from the WCs we did when you just walked into the main restaurant anytime.  Glad i didn’t have to make 128 dinner reservations, each of which is now confirmed separately to your TA.  Viking needs to work out a few kinks here, I think...

Edited by SantaFe1

What is the secret to getting a quiet(ish) table for two by a window in The Restaurant?  The first night of our cruise is my DW’s birthday, and I want it to be as relaxing as possible, given the hubbub of getting to the ship she will have gone through that day.  We have a reservation for 8:30 (since we will be mentally on PDT, putting Bermuda 4 hours ahead).

2 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

What is the secret to getting a quiet(ish) table for two by a window in The Restaurant?  The first night of our cruise is my DW’s birthday, and I want it to be as relaxing as possible, given the hubbub of getting to the ship she will have gone through that day.  We have a reservation for 8:30 (since we will be mentally on PDT, putting Bermuda 4 hours ahead).

Seek out the Restaurant Manager prior to the meal and explain the special event.  Also, Manfredi's is nice for special events.  Just ask and they will do their best to make it special for Carol.🍸

1 hour ago, SantaFe1 said:

I think that was “pre” having to book the main restaurant.  Those restaurant reservations are made weeks before you are eligible to book the speciality restaurants, even if you are in the owner’s suite.  So now you can go to the calendar, tap the blue shaded reservation, and then There pops up a cancel option.  I told Viking that to me, it would make more sense to book the speciality first, then fill in with restaurant reservations.  Big change from the WCs we did when you just walked into the main restaurant anytime.  Glad i didn’t have to make 128 dinner reservations, each of which is now confirmed separately to your TA.  Viking needs to work out a few kinks here, I think...

Thank you. Works perfectly!

Simple question, will I be able to go ashore, alone on my own, in Bermuda to go to the beach for the day or rent a whaler and explore the various isolated beaches as I have done in the past?  Or go to dinner or lunch in town?

36 minutes ago, Canes#1 said:

Simple question, will I be able to go ashore, alone on my own, in Bermuda to go to the beach for the day or rent a whaler and explore the various isolated beaches as I have done in the past?  Or go to dinner or lunch in town?

Simple answer, NO. 

Disregard.  I just contacted Viking.  You cannot leave the ship unless you are on a Viking tour.  I asked 'So, I assume that means I can't even get off to walk around town?'

Answer - 'That is correct'

2 hours ago, Canes#1 said:

Disregard.  I just contacted Viking.  You cannot leave the ship unless you are on a Viking tour.  I asked 'So, I assume that means I can't even get off to walk around town?'

I think many have answered this question in another forum as well.

It is written in the 19 page Terms & Conditions that Viking asks people to read before booking so they are sure that those who book have weighed the pros and cons and are not disappointed.

And again in this document.

Viking's Covid-19 policies and procedures are spelled out here:https://docs.vikingcruises.com/pdf/210405_COVID-19PoliciesAndProcedures_Ver1.pdf

The link can also be found in the footer of every page on the Viking website.

There is no doubt that Viking will be enforcing these rules, which include full vaccination against Covid-19, testing, contact tracing, physical distancing, mask wearing and Viking bubble. 

1 hour ago, Peregrina651 said:

Viking's Covid-19 policies and procedures are spelled out here:https://docs.vikingcruises.com/pdf/210405_COVID-19PoliciesAndProcedures_Ver1.pdf

There is no doubt that Viking will be enforcing these rules, which include full vaccination against Covid-19, testing, contact tracing, physical distancing, mask wearing and Viking bubble. 

I wonder how it will work for when th ship is overnight at a port.

On 4/19/2021 at 6:04 PM, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

If you let Viking know, they will have a birthday cake waiting in your room for her.  On our last cruise we let them know it was our anniversary and they had a nice little cake in our room for us.  Unfortunately that was the day we hit the Tasman sea and I had no interest in cake...I'll not go into detail, but the cake was pretty.  

3 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

That doc makes no mention of flying in a few days early.  Has anyone heard of any restrictions on that?  Of course we will follow any requirements the government of Bermuda has.

Our plan is to fly in three days early and remain at our beachfront resort until boarding the ship.  The hotel has extensive anti-covid measures in place (or so says their website and confirmation emails...).  For example, all of their indoor dining areas are closed.  Their spa is also closed.  We are happy with that.  They also say rooms will left vacant for three nights between guests, which is nice.  I’m generally a worrywort, but I’m comfortable with this hotel’s procedures.  And they have a nice beach and pool.  We won’t do any conga-line dancing...  There are lot’s of these type resorts in Bermuda.

We are doing something similar for our Iceland cruise. I never depend on same day arrival for a cruise (although our ship will overnight the first day before sailing) so we will be content to quarantine until results of our test. Limiting our exposure prior to our cruise seems like a safe bet to make sure we do what we came to do and that is cruise.

Upon our disembarkation back in Reykjavik, we are doing a week long driving trip to the West Fjord and Snaefelsness Peninsula. The "bubble" of the cruise and low population for these areas should limit our exposure. We will hopefully have an uneventful two weeks of FINALLY traveling again.

On 4/25/2021 at 10:45 AM, Canes#1 said:

You cannot leave the ship unless you are on a Viking tour.  I asked 'So, I assume that means I can't even get off to walk around town?'

I don't know...just doesn't sound like a good time to me. I'll wait till next year, unless Hagen comes along with something this year yet in the way of a Chairman's cruise. 

In retrospect, I probably should not have made the first statement in #191, and surely hope noone who is booked on either Bermuda or Iceland is offended in any way. I say...best of luck to ALL pax and crew on these "welcome back" cruises! Hope it all goes as anticipated. In actuality, while we love going ashore to do our own thing - which is what prompted my thoughts - we also greatly enjoy doing ship-sponsored excursions. I think it's just the idea that you 'can't' go ashore unless with a Viking 'bubble' that just seems so weird. Guess some sort of "new normal" will emerge from all of this!  Best to all....hang in there. 

New dates for Iceland are now available for booking through early September.

That is good news for those who want to go.  But bad news to those whose trips are now cancelled.  Like most people on CC, we’ve had many trips cancelled, some more than once.  So we have mixed feelings.  We booked the new August 14 sailing.

Jerry

1 hour ago, MarkTapley said:

New dates for Iceland are now available for booking through early September.

In addition to the new Iceland dates, these are two new Welcome Back itineraries.  Probably going to be announced with the cancellation notices.

183178714_10208292701752872_1304321153002104414_n.jpg

They were announced this morning - you can see it on the Viking Ocean web site.  All the itineraries extending into October.  This corresponds with all the cancellations in northern Europe and Scandinavia.  Viking Venus and Sea.

They also added Bermuda itineraries.

The telling statement though was Torstein's comment that they will be rolling out even more special Welcome Back itineraries during 2021 so stay tuned!   It may be that is the strategy for the rest of 2021 and possibly do more of the Med.  Maybe Malta will become the new Viking "home" port 🙂

2 hours ago, knoxclone said:

I just received my cancellation notice from Viking for the Oct 4  Trade Routes sailing on  the Venus. offering 125% FCC  😞 

knoxclone - I'm so sorry.  Hopefully you will get to do that itinerary sometime in the future.  We are scheduled for April 2022, but who knows if that will go.   Good luck!

It appears that Viking is taking a strategy of doing lots of new controlled Welcome Back cruises the rest of 2021 and a lot in the Mediterranean.  Thus, no ships in Northern Europe or Scandinavia.  Based on today's announcements.  Malta cruises, more Bermuda cruises, and likely additional itineraries.

Before you opt for a FCV, compare size of voucher with cost of the cruise(s) you are looking at for the future. The vouchers must be used on one new sailing and the amount on the voucher must be used before you sail for cruise fare, airfare, shorex, grats and/or drink package. Any unused portion of the voucher WILL NOT be moved to your ship broad account. You might be better off just taking the cash.

Thanks Peregrina  - I agree because I certainly don't want to leave any $$ on the table.  We normally don't drink enough to make the Silver Spirits package worth it, and usually only take one or 2 Viking paid excursion.  We are weighing our options now... do we opt for a longer cruise or  take our money and regroup?

I wonder If you prebook a shorex and and Viking cancels excursion ( we had both the kayaking shorex cancelled on Viking Homelands - evidently we were the only 2 out of 900+ who wanted to kayak!! ) do you just lose the $?  I will have to contact Viking and ask. 

We have another one on the books for 2023, so decisions decisions!

2 hours ago, knoxclone said:

and usually only take one or 2 Viking paid excursion.

Keep in mind that on the Welcome Back cruises, excursions are the only way off the ship. No private excursions, no wandering around on your own. Most of the included tours for Iceland are short walking tours.

I would expect (I would demand) that if I have paid by voucher and Viking cancels the cruise that the voucher will be restored to its full value and returned to my account.  But you are right, best to ask Viking on this one.