Goodbye Royal Caribbean

I am a Diamond member and have been cruising for Royal Caribbean for years.  I had two Suites booked on a cruise out of Rome in June 2020 booked on the new shop.  I canceled my rooms in January knowing that they would never be sailing because of Covid, and I knew they were going to try to get the full payment before canceling the cruise.  Anyways, I have been waiting for the cruise credit now on the deposit for close to 3 months.  Since then, the cost of Suites on future cruises have gone up over 200%.  Crazy.  Anyways, I called to find out where my deposit is, and they now say it will could take up to an additional 4 months to get the credit.  In the meantime, I can't even book a Suite for next year as they have jacked up the prices to ridiculous levels.  I talked to a supervisor and he said there is nothing he can do.  He claims he hasn't seen any inflated prices (yeah right!) and claims my original cruise is still not canceled and will still cruise.  (Yeah, right).  Anyways, I am beyond fed up with the RCC.  Predatory pricing.  Not canceling cruises so they can collect full payments.  It is all a bunch of BS.  Big fan of Cruise Critic.  I know all (most?) of the cruise lines are likely doing this.  But I am frankly beyond pissed off and won't be rebooking RCC at 2 to 3 times the price.  No thanks.  And I am sure many of you will say to not let the door hit me on the way out, and that is fine.  I hope the cruise industry makes it.  I love cruising.  But the way they are taking advantage of customers is simply not cool.  Goodbye RCC.

• Like 9

I can certainly sympathise with you. We booked for this June too, well before Covid was a word. But we've had to pay the balance, and yet still, just 8 weeks out, have had no cancellation confirmation. 

While I appreciate the predicament the cruise industry is in - like so many others - I can't say I'm overly impressed with how their actions have impacted the customer. 

I have flights, hotels I'd really love to be able to sort out however I can, a drinks package I'd like to start to get the ball rolling on for a refund - and I can't really commit to doing anything safely until they pull their finger out, and no doubt confirm the almost inevitable. 

Plus as you say, any so called future cruise credit is effectively worthless due to the ramped up prices. 

Difficult one for them, but they haven't really covered themselves in glory. 

Edited by BillieJeanKaraokeKing
  • Like 5

44 minutes ago, V2David said:

I know all (most?) of the cruise lines are likely doing this.  

Yes they are and each board has a thread or two (or more) of folks saying the same thing about their (former) cruise line of choice, so it's a case of musical cruise lines unless everyone is willing to cease cruising completely. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I completely agree about the prices. We have four cruises booked

for RC and two for Carnival. I check every week for price changes,

if I see someone post on the boards about a price drop, I check.

I don't care if I bother them for ten bucks enough ten bucks adds

up too 100, or more.  I have my preferred cabin and something to look

forward too. First cruise is Dec 2021, fingers cross we go!!

• Like 3

5 Cruises down and just holding our breath for Sept.  But it's all worked out to our good really, each cruise we moved or they cxd just put us in better position, from Interior to Central Park Interior to finally Balcony.  Some of those moves didn't cost an extra penny.  So I can't complain, I was just really patient, but what can you do when the whole world is shut down.  Wait!  We have managed to pay down our Allure balcony to about $1100 left to be paid by final which is in July, but hey, I am betting on going...we'll see.  But nobody is in a better place elsewhere...and the bottom line is the bottom line.  They have invented creative ways of staying afloat, as it were and I don't blame them.  It will be a while but the pricing will improve, just don't book until they reach your budget.  Happy cruising, whenever wherever.

• Like 5

Thankfully we haven't had any problems with refunds or FCC. We have two cruises still booked, for Jan. 2021 and July 2022. I hope that your issue will be resolved soon.

I have ready so many times on CC about Royal waiting until paid in full date is past before they cancel cruises. Well... I honestly can't see that is why they wait. Generally they cancel for a couple months at a time. I'm sure some of the cruises that are cancelled fall within the paid in full date range, but I am quite sure not all of them do. I choose to believe that they are holding onto these booked cruises as long as possible hoping to turn things around and actually be able to sail! I highly doubt they have a list of paid in full dates that they wait for before they cancel.

After 9/11 we bought some airline stock because we figured that would be a way to help the airline industry. The stock dropped to pennies on the dollars but it eventually got above the buying amount. These are unknown times and I am willing to float this industry a little money until the “governments” realize we need to get back to normal, especially after so many people have either been infected or vaccinated.

• Like 7

Normal time prices and cheaper are out there, just have look. Yes some up, Demand on Future Cruises as ships fill prices can go up. But currently have 19 Booked Cruises and 16 Cheaper then I would paid 5-10yrs ago. Other 3 little higher, 10-20%, but part of B4B's so worth it to me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, V2David said:

I am a Diamond member and have been cruising for Royal Caribbean for years.  I had two Suites booked on a cruise out of Rome in June 2020 booked on the new shop.  I canceled my rooms in January knowing that they would never be sailing because of Covid, and I knew they were going to try to get the full payment before canceling the cruise.  Anyways, I have been waiting for the cruise credit now on the deposit for close to 3 months.  Since then, the cost of Suites on future cruises have gone up over 200%.  Crazy.  Anyways, I called to find out where my deposit is, and they now say it will could take up to an additional 4 months to get the credit.  In the meantime, I can't even book a Suite for next year as they have jacked up the prices to ridiculous levels.  I talked to a supervisor and he said there is nothing he can do.  He claims he hasn't seen any inflated prices (yeah right!) and claims my original cruise is still not canceled and will still cruise.  (Yeah, right).  Anyways, I am beyond fed up with the RCC.  Predatory pricing.  Not canceling cruises so they can collect full payments.  It is all a bunch of BS.  Big fan of Cruise Critic.  I know all (most?) of the cruise lines are likely doing this.  But I am frankly beyond pissed off and won't be rebooking RCC at 2 to 3 times the price.  No thanks.  And I am sure many of you will say to not let the door hit me on the way out, and that is fine.  I hope the cruise industry makes it.  I love cruising.  But the way they are taking advantage of customers is simply not cool.  Goodbye RCC.

Royal is pretty much the worse now at price gouging. The cruise planner stuff they do is horrible.

I'm waiting for all their sales to go to Ebay where everything will be purchased by the highest bidders.

I'm sure it hurts your feelings even more since you were Loyal to Royal.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, kelbell said:

I completely agree about the prices. We have four cruises booked

for RC and two for Carnival. I check every week for price changes,

if I see someone post on the boards about a price drop, I check.

I don't care if I bother them for ten bucks enough ten bucks adds

up too 100, or more.  I have my preferred cabin and something to look

forward too. First cruise is Dec 2021, fingers cross we go!!

I have, just recently, had price drops on two cruises. I also booked one in a CL suite.  I'm not sure if the prices were inflated but they were in the budget so I booked.

• Like 2

I don't think its necessarily Royal inflating the prices of future cruises, its us the consumers who have been kept indoors for 12 months doing this.

Cruises for summer 2021 are on sale here in the UK sailing around the UK and the demand is phenomenal, absolutely crazy. P & O's website crashed with demand, Viking (I think) didn't get get to general sale and was sold out by previous cruisers and I tried to book a May cruise on MSC from Southampton and they sold out in a day.

Royal is selling UK summer 2021 cruises  tomorrow and it will likely be the same. I'm not saying there isn't profiteering but we are fuelling it and I've noticed that our May 2022 cruise has sold out of all suites except for half a dozen junior suites.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, V2David said:

Lol cry moar....

Edited by Shakatime
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Every time I've seen a new ship appear, the prices have been high -- noticeably higher than older ships. So I can understand that somewhat -- people want the newest and are willing to pay for it. I also know there's been many extremely good deals up front when new itineraries come out, and so I can certainly see the situation where one grabbed a great deal up front, Royal Caribbean since learned people are willing to pay a lot more, and subsequent sailings simply don't start out anywhere as low anymore when they first appear.

It's an unprecedented situation, and unfortunately, well, it's just unprecedented, really. During the next pandemic we'll at least have some knowledge how the cruise lines will probably react.  🙂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I have, just recently, had price drops on two cruises. I also booked one in a CL suite.  I'm not sure if the prices were inflated but they were in the budget so I booked.

Scored $6000+ on about 18 price drops last 9 months, though $2500 those didn't sail. Always checking, at times it might be $40-50 month ago, or like one 2 weeks ago that added a Military Discount with a $400 drop

• Like 4

Prices are up across the lines.  Booked another line today and it was a struggle to find decent pricing.  

Sure miss the cruise deals from previous years.

At any rate, take some time off from cruising and come back when the world is closer to right again.  In a couple years you can fall in love with cruising all over again on whatever line you choose. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, V2David said:

Feeling your pain.  Hoping things gets better for you and get some kind of resolution.

Note: Just wanted to say that we are impressed with your amazing discipline of having only 3 post since 2009...just incredible.  We are guessing that must be close to, if not the record for "least number of posts" per year.

• Like 2

Have had RCI cancel Allure out of Galveston way back when, got the same price for Symphony (an A1 so really scored).  Had RCI cancel Odyssey (cried for 2 days) before final payment, got Allure A1 at a steal in replacement.  Allure cancelled before final payment.  Quantum was cancelled before final payment for our Alaska cruise in 2021.  I have to say we have not had the problems many of you seem to have and yet all the other lines have the same issues.  Now our only problem is the stupid vaccines as I am not ready to take the step to have them put a needle in my arm when they cannot tell me what the side effects might be.  Guess I am trying to say that the cruise lines are doing the best they can with a CDC that has no clue about what is going on.  

I am partial to RC  , Oasis class , but if i was going to stray i would be looking at 

MSC . I like their ships that resemble the Oasis class with a promenade . 

The MSC  Meriviglia was quite a bit less than RC . 

And they honor your crown and anchor status there also . 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

I don't need a suite (or a balcony); therefore, I can get the good deals on inside and oceanview.  🙂 

Booked an 11-night TA last week.  $680 including taxes/fees for inside (virtual) balcony.

Precisely. If suite is too pricy, select a different cabin type. There are always choices available if one is prepared to be flexible and adapt. 

• Like 1