Canceled Norway Cruise - no refund?

lovestx

We had booked and paid for a July 2020 honeymoon cruise for our son and now daughter-in-law.  When it was canceled last year due to COVID, we were offered FCC at 125% or a refund.  We took the FCC.

Today, our travel agent informed us that the rebooked cruise due to go out of London on 7//12/2021 is also canceled.  He is having trouble getting through to Viking (understandably) but thinks the message he watched from the Chairman of Viking indicated only FCC would be offered.  We are very disappointed about this as who knows whether our happy couple will be pregnant, etc. in 2022.  We would like them to be able to go on a honeymoon this summer (son’s a teacher) and would find a place for them to go instead.

Does anyone have any info on this?  I am also asking the TA to check our trip insurance with Chubb....

Viking today announced 2 new cruises to happening this summer.  Around Iceland and Around Bermuda.  They will only accept vaccinated passengers however.  They are also working on Greece/Turkey/Malta cruises and hope to open them soon. So far those are the only areas opening so far.

I think you may be right re: no cash refund, only a 125% voucher.

I received an email this morning from Viking indicating that my July 4th cruise from Athens to Venice has been cancelled. Interestingly, when I logged on to My Viking Journey last night, it was showing the ship ending in Iceland so I knew something was up, also because the web site was locked down. I booked my original cruise in 2018, for departure in 2020.

I had a voucher so I will get my original voucher back.

The email states

In consideration of the cancellation, a 125% Future Cruise Voucher has been issued to guests according to the monies paid on the booking. Our records indicate no cash was applied to this booking and therefore no new voucher was issued. Any vouchers applied will be reinstated at the original value. Reinstated vouchers will be valid for 24 months and are available for your immediate use. Vouchers can be applied to any river, ocean or expedition cruise.

"Once an FCC, always an FCC" is the standard motto among most cruise lines we follow.  Usually the lines are upfront when the initial FCC is generated...that it cannot be redeemed for cash.

Edited by 1985rz1

Our July 29 Mediterranean Odyssey was just cancelled (as were all cruises up through July 31).  We were offered 100% cash, or 125% FCC.  I'm leaning towards applying the credit to an August cruise, with fingers crossed -- same Sea, same year, 25% bonus.

Edited by Jchivers

37 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

"Once an FCC, always an FCC" is the standard motto among most cruise lines we follow.  Usually the lines are upfront when the initial FCC is generated...that it cannot be redeemed for cash.

Yes.  Another reason you should always read the Terms and Conditions before booking or before choosing a refund or FCC.  Viking has always stated that if you choose a FCC at 125% instead of a refund, any future refunds from cancelled trips will be a FCC.  Very clear.  Sad that so many never read or saw this.  Our TA let us know which is good - so we had no expectations otherwise when our 2020 Midnight Sun was cancelled and we rebooked to 2021 and now rebooked to 2022.

• Like 1

We had a cruise from Bergen to Reykjavik  booked in July 2020. It was cancelled due to covid, of course. We took the 125% future cruise credit and rebooked the same cruise to July of this year, which was cancelled today.

We have no option of a refund. A new credit will be issued, which expires in two years. At that time, we will receive a cash refund, after Viking has held on to our money of over $20,000 for almost four years.

We would be willing to book the same cruise for 2023, as next year is not an option. However, the price has increased, and Viking refuses to honour the price we paid for the same cabin.

We’re very disappointed in Viking’s poor customer service and will probably wait the two years for our refund.

Last year when my Into the midnight Sun cruise was canceled, I was torn...take the refund or get the 125% fcc.  I really wanted to take that cruise and still do. My first thought was to rebook for June 2021.  However, when I looked at prices for that cruise, the price increases were ridiculous.  Even with the extra fcc, the rebooked cruise would cost more than the fcc. We asked for the refund.  Had the prices remained the same, we would’ve rebooked.  Now we would’ve been really upset if we couldn’t get a refund promptly. We didn’t realize at the time that the pandemic would persist this long.  I am sure that Viking persuaded people to take the fcc.   They deserve a refund now, not 2 years from now.  How companies treat people during the pandemic will not be forgotten.  Those companies that were fair, will get more business after the pandemic. Those companies that weren’t fair and refused refunds will feel the affects of their dealings.  They deserve refunds. Many people could use those refunds toward other expenses.  I got my refund from Viking last year.  Just used it to buy a new car which we now call Norway.  

Any vouchers used are returned to your account. Any cash paid on the booking can be refunded as long as you request it by April 16.  (Ten days after we are notified of the cancellation. )

Sadly, those of us who have had multiple cruises cancel over the past year are stuck with vouchers and stuck with having the expiration date extended each time we are hit with another cancellation. Very frustrating, to say the least -- and nothing we can do at this point to change it. 

Edited by Peregrina651
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, lovestx said:

So if we are willing to wait two years, we will receive the cash back from our FCC from last year’s cancelled trip?  

Affirmative, those were the terms and conditions that you agreed to, when accepting the 125% FCV, instead of contacting Viking to request the 100% refund. The notification we received clearly stated that if a FCV has not been applied to a cruise, after the expiry date, we will receive a refund of the money paid, not the 125%.

When we re-applied the FCV's to our 2023 WC, we asked the question what would happen to them if the cruise is cancelled. Figured we knew the answer, so Viking confirmed they would be returned to our account with a new expiry date of 2-years. 

• Like 1