Jump to content

I'm booked!!!... Joy's first sailing from Jamaica!


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, DCGuy64 said:

Just found out about this over on the Royal thread a minute ago.

 

 

4 hours ago, Seany527 said:

$65/night is a little questionable. 🤮

Are bedbugs included?   

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sid_9169 said:

No offense, but I would be suspect of a $65 per night hotel anywhere, much less a third World country...

No offense taken, but my boss at work is Jamaican, and I know she'd be offended by the characterization of her homeland as a 3rd world country. 😉

Also, the places I found looked quite nice. One of them, The Blue Orchid, seems absolutely delightful, based on the reviews. You might consider checking it out.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I jumped on this to hedge my bets on a 2021 cruise. I had a Haven trip booked on the Joy last year that was obviously cancelled. Decided to try agin on the 10/9 out of Montego. The itinerary is about the same. 

 

I have the Dubai to Singapore trip also booked from a year ago but I have more faith in this Joy trip happening. I guess in August when payment is due I'll decide which one to keep. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/6/2021 at 3:59 PM, GA Dave said:

Yes, something normal for a change!  Something not related to Covid, masks, vaccines, etc.!!!

 

Yeah, and throw in some pictures of chair hogs and some videos of pier runners. You know, like the good old days...

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/6/2021 at 7:34 PM, sid_9169 said:

I'm looking at $573 right now on a non-stop Delta flight. I'm going to do some further research on flights and hotels this weekend. 

 

I'm not on the Joy this summer but I am booked on the Gem out of La Romana, Dom Rep, Sept 12-19th. I am flying round trip out of Grand Rapids, MI to Punta Cana, Dom Rep (yes, believe it or not they have an Int'l airport there, lol). Cost of flights was $500 but I need the extra legroom so I booked Economy + which cost $200 more, so $700 total.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 4/6/2021 at 7:43 PM, Summerstravel said:

I just booked this cruise for 2 nd week sailing so I hope you post updates as you sail. I went with the 2nd week because the price was cheaper. I booked a balcony for my solo cruise.  I hope they have solo meetings of some kind. I will be staying  4 nights before the cruise in Jamaica. So excited!  

 

As I posted on another thread, we're on the same wave length. I also booked a balcony for my solo cruise on the Gem (out of Dom Rep), Sep 12-19th. I also booked a cruise that was a little later because it was cheaper (kids back in school, hopefully). And, I too will be staying 4 nights before the cruise in the Dominican Republic. I hope they have solo meetings of some kind on the Gem, as well.

Edited by farmersfight
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/6/2021 at 10:39 PM, coastcat said:

OMG, I'm going to be onboard with a celebrity!

 

The Gem's itinerary was enticing. However, Joy was my last cruise before the shutdown and it just seemed more fitting.

 

Also, Food Republic rules.

 

Cool 😎. Did you book a balcony or an inside? I chose the Gem because I have done the Western Caribbean/Mexico multiple times and the itinerary on the Gem hits some Caribbean islands I have never been to (St. Lucia, St. Maarten, & Antigua). Also, I want to try an NCL Jewel-class ship.I'm hoping for the "Cinderella effect"; a ship that is not too big, not too small but is just right.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

What's your definition of "decent? I just did a search and found a 3-star hotel near the airport in Montego Bay for $65/night. That's 1/2 the cost of hotels near me!

 

And 2 free checked bags per passenger!

 

 

 

Likewise, I booked a "more than decent" hotel in Punta Cana, Dom Rep that is very close to the beach (hotel has it's own private beach club) and has a roof-top swimming pool for $46/night! Total for a 4 night stay there pre-cruise; $236 (includes $52 in taxes). I'm stoked!

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, GamblingMommy said:

If you have to book excursions from NCL, will that eliminate pier runners???? Oh no,  will I not have any entertainment at the end of each day?

From what I've read, anyone not on an NCL excursion won't be allowed off the ship at all... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, farmersfight said:

 

Cool 😎. Did you book a balcony or an inside? I chose the Gem because I have done the Western Caribbean/Mexico multiple times and the itinerary on the Gem hits some Caribbean islands I have never been to (St. Lucia, St. Maarten, & Antigua). Also, I want to try an NCL Jewel-class ship.I'm hoping for the "Cinderella effect"; a ship that is not too big, not too small but is just right.

Balcony, of course! Okay, I probably would have booked a Studio if Joy had them because unlimited free espresso makes me happy (and very, very awake). The 125% FCC from my cancelled Jewel 2020 cruise covers the entire bill for the solo balcony cabin with enough left over for an excursion.

 

I've got two more Western Caribbean itineraries booked soon (October and February) plus two Eastern Caribbean. I may have gotten a little carried away while waiting for the restart... (each on a different cruise line, none of them NCL)

 

I wonder if we'll be allowed to roam free at Harvest Caye?

Edited by coastcat
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sid_9169 said:

From what I've read, anyone not on an NCL excursion won't be allowed off the ship at all... 

Yea, seems like NCL is taking the direction that MSC and other EU cruise lines have taken, no NCL shore ex. no disembarking.  I guess the problem is that only certain venues on certain ports have been cleared to interact with cruise pax.  Safety first, right? 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, coastcat said:

I wonder if we'll be allowed to roam free at Harvest Caye?

I wonder if it will depend on how Belize gov't is handling the pandemic.  If they've been fairly stringent delivering C-19 vaccines to residents who work on HC, it may be very normal experience.  

I loved HC and would return there in a minute if precautions have been taken.

The other scenario is that the beach is open, but the shops and tours are unavailable and you're free to roam as you please.   Wouldn't that be lovely? I love a walk on the beach... one can dream. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sid_9169 said:

From what I've read, anyone not on an NCL excursion won't be allowed off the ship at all... 

 

I hope you have a great cruise, Sid. NCL excursions or not. You’ll make it work. Take that T-shirt with you to Cozumel. I will be lucky to make it to jones beach lol. 

Im fully vaccinated and have an up to date passport too. What am I waiting for?

oh yeah, it’s the airplane. Nope. Not gonna happen. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll be interested to know if they offer a discounted tour bundle like MSC are doing or if they keep the tour prices high so if anyone could report back please once they are released that would be great

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, farmersfight said:

 

I'm not on the Joy this summer but I am booked on the Gem out of La Romana, Dom Rep, Sept 12-19th. I am flying round trip out of Grand Rapids, MI to Punta Cana, Dom Rep (yes, believe it or not they have an Int'l airport there, lol). Cost of flights was $500 but I need the extra legroom so I booked Economy + which cost $200 more, so $700 total.

That looks like a great itinerary.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, sid_9169 said:

I'm definitely planning on flying in a day early. I want to be one of the first people on the ship for this monumental occasion... 

I was doing some research on some issues since I was strongly considering this trip. I do realize that this trip is 4-7 months away and we all know how things can change rapidly these days.

 

Beginning in March, Jamaica placed new rules upon entering their country. These rules are until June 30th so I guess depending on where the country’s status is will depend if the country lifts the rules or extends them.

 

First is the requirement for a Covid test 72 hours prior to coming into the country. This is pretty common but an additional cost if not covered by your insurance.


An authorization form that will be submitted and approved by the Jamaican government. I would hope that NCL somehow helps passengers with knowing about this form. At this time people from certain countries including the UK, Brazil and South Africa are being denied entrance into the country.

 

Then what is most concerning is they have implemented the 14 day quarantine for all incoming . Could they plan  to have all passengers fly in on Embarkation Day and bus direct to the ship and treat it like an excursion. If I was going down pre-cruise I would at least make sure any plans I made for accommodations and air to be refundable/changeable. 

 

I am not trying to be an alarmist, and hopefully things will change by the time to sail. For me it would  just make planning the trip a little bit sketchy until NCL  notifies passengers on procedures. (unless they already  have informed those that have booked, but I would think that would have been mentioned here already) 


Just thought I would call this out. It has made me put on the brakes until I find out more info. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Good information regarding Jamaica, however, NCL is quite good at finding and sharing information for required documents. 

I'm quite sure they would have discussed all of the restrictions/requirements with the Jamaican authorities before making arrangements to cruise out of their country. 

 

Can only imagine the uproar if NCL promised these cruises then had to walk it back to a "OOPS, no cruise for you" situation. 

 

 

Edited by All-ready2cruise
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kelib said:

I was doing some research on some issues since I was strongly considering this trip. I do realize that this trip is 4-7 months away and we all know how things can change rapidly these days.

 

Beginning in March, Jamaica placed new rules upon entering their country. These rules are until June 30th so I guess depending on where the country’s status is will depend if the country lifts the rules or extends them.

 

First is the requirement for a Covid test 72 hours prior to coming into the country. This is pretty common but an additional cost if not covered by your insurance.


An authorization form that will be submitted and approved by the Jamaican government. I would hope that NCL somehow helps passengers with knowing about this form. At this time people from certain countries including the UK, Brazil and South Africa are being denied entrance into the country.

 

Then what is most concerning is they have implemented the 14 day quarantine for all incoming . Could they plan  to have all passengers fly in on Embarkation Day and bus direct to the ship and treat it like an excursion. If I was going down pre-cruise I would at least make sure any plans I made for accommodations and air to be refundable/changeable. 

 

I am not trying to be an alarmist, and hopefully things will change by the time to sail. For me it would  just make planning the trip a little bit sketchy until NCL  notifies passengers on procedures. (unless they already  have informed those that have booked, but I would think that would have been mentioned here already) 


Just thought I would call this out. It has made me put on the brakes until I find out more info. 

We just booked this cruise yesterday with air and deviation from NCL for August 21.  We live in CA and are fully vaccinated.

 

The questions about Jamaica were asked and I did research about their entry and exit requirements and this is what I read.  I am flying in early from the west coast as the flight will undoubtedly be a red eye and I want a day before the cruise to make sure there are no problems. Our flight from San Jose roundtrip through NCL was $899 plus deviation fee of $25 to come in a day early.  NCL did not have hotels for pre-cruise only post-cruise. We booked the S Hotel between the airport and the cruise port.   If you are booked at a hotel in their north or south called Resilient Corridors you do not have to quarantine.  The quarantine is only for travel until June 30, 2021.  We will have to see what happens after that date, but there is time for travelers or NCL to make adjustments.

 

According to my two conversations with NCL we will tested for covid upon arrival on the ship and before disembarkation which will allow us to fly home to the U.S.  We will receive notifications about flights and other requirements closer to sailing time and I will share when further information is sent to me.

 

Nobody will be allowed to leave the ship in port without being on an excursion.  They are working on those now and there should be updates soon as far as what if anything is available.

 

The above information is what I received yesterday.  I understand that sometimes you receive different information from different people at NCL but this was done by two phone calls from me to NCL and the information was the same both times.

 

We are excited to cruise again...if it happens.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: American Queen Steamboat Company - Celebrate Your Freedom
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com - June 2021
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...