CDC Open To U.S Cruising This Summer

Cruising89143

8 minutes ago, caribill said:

Maybe because allocation priorities so far do not include non-USA residents coming in by the boat load just for a vaccination?

"so far" ... I was really thinking more like mid-May or so , for a July 1 re-start date 

maybe the gov of FL - oops

4 hours ago, Justprettynpink said:

Many employers are getting coordinating with pharmacies/hospitals to have their own clinics. Why couldn't the cruise lines do it also?

Because vaccines should go to US residents only to start.  Florida actually restricts vaccines to Florida residents or those who own property here and reside part-time.  We had a huge problem at the start with "vaccine tourism".  It's one thing for WDW to vaccinate it's "eligible" employees in a partnership with local health authorities, and entirely another to provide vaccines to residents of foreign countries.  The federal government is currently contributing to vaccine efforts world-wide and we will gladly distribute vaccine supplies to other countries once everyone here has had an opportunity to be vaccinated and we have adequate reserves set aside.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gmjc2 said:

It can be done if the CDC wants it done. Where there is power there is a way!!!!🤪🤪

What can be done?  Do you really believe that the CDC would order up vaccines to be administered to cruise line crew?  They have already said they are not mandating vaccines.  But they certainly are expecting the cruise lines to as part of their restart.

On 4/6/2021 at 4:41 PM, cruisingator2 said:

Lawsuit just filed re: whether CDC has plenary power per statute to indefinitely close cruise industry, etc. or whether CDC “mandates” have been arbitrary or capricious with respect to the cruise industry versus airlines, etc. Should be interesting.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CI66774 said:

Lawsuit just filed re: whether CDC has plenary power per statute to indefinitely close cruise industry, etc. or whether CDC “mandates” have been arbitrary or capricious with respect to the cruise industry versus airlines, etc. Should be interesting.

Will not be that interesting,  lots of data about the difference between airlines, hotels and cruise ships.

That is on the science side.  On the other side hotels are inside states, airlines are considered to be essential.  

Will be pretty easy Feds to show that it is not arbitrary or capricious if the grounds are comparison to other parts of the travel industry.  With those ground I would expect a summary judgement after initial filings.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, harkinmr said:

Because vaccines should go to US residents only to start.  Florida actually restricts vaccines to Florida residents or those who own property here and reside part-time.  We had a huge problem at the start with "vaccine tourism".  It's one thing for WDW to vaccinate it's "eligible" employees in a partnership with local health authorities, and entirely another to provide vaccines to residents of foreign countries.  The federal government is currently contributing to vaccine efforts world-wide and we will gladly distribute vaccine supplies to other countries once everyone here has had an opportunity to be vaccinated and we have adequate reserves set aside.

What you just stated is incorrect. You have to have Florida ID to go to a Fema or a county site, but you do not have to have any proof of owning property. The pharmacies and Publix are not requiring any of this right before they close for the day.  I have friends that work in some of the stores doing the vaccines and they told me people are waiting until right before they close because they cannot re-freeze the vaccines and they walk up and get the shot. It is a lot of people from Peru I was told and Canada

Kathy

Edited by rabin1

8 minutes ago, rabin1 said:

What you just stated is incorrect. You have to have Florida ID to go to a Fema or a county site, but you do not have to have any proof of owning property. The pharmacies and Publix are not requiring any of this right before they close for the day.  I have friends that work in some of the stores doing the vaccines and they told me people are waiting until right before they close because they cannot re-freeze the vaccines and they walk up and get the shot. It is a lot of people from Peru I was told and Canada

Kathy

Yes, Kathy, I can imagine that is happening at stores and pharmacies so as to not waste any vaccines.  Publix was just getting going where we were near our departure date. 

For the official county health sites - at least where we were living in JAN/FEB (Lee), plus others I read about, required State ID or some proof of at least temporary residency, such as a lease. 

We could have qualified (leasing), but I did not try overly hard to be on top of phone lines in Jan (that was like trying to get a hot concert ticket and there were lots of organized groups working on doing it) and I did sign up via website, but we didn't receive notice of app't.  We had limited time to get first dose so there would be sufficient time before leaving for home to get the second.  Plus, I thought other people needed it worse than me.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, rabin1 said:

Kathy

What I said is absolutely correct. I never said proof of property ownership was required for all persons.  It’s either a Florida ID or a deed/lease from residents of other states who reside here part-time.  These “people from Peru”, might they be Peruvians who are resident in Florida and work here. Your bias is showing. And if Canadians who are not part-time residents are getting the vaccine then it’s Publix that is violating the state’s requirements. 

Edited by harkinmr

31 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

What I said is absolutely correct. I never said proof of property ownership was required for all persons.  It’s either a Florida ID or a deed/lease from residents of other states who reside here part-time.  These “people from Peru”, might they be Peruvians who are resident in Florida and work here. Your bias is showing. And if Canadians who are not part-time residents are getting the vaccine then it’s Publix that is violating the state’s requirements. 

What bias are you talking about and I think you need to reread your post because you did say what you are denying? I hope and pray every person gets the vaccine and soon. I have been to Africa twice and down the Amazon and I have been so worried about those people so far in the outlying areas and the third world countries. I notice you did not put or say where you live do you live here in Florida? Also no where did i say it was Publix exclusively allowing the shots I said PHARMACIES and I said I was TOLD it was a lot of people from Peru and Canada. You need to learn to read or is it comprehend. I personally do not care who gets the shots as long as people are getting them.

43 minutes ago, rabin1 said:

Florida actually restricts vaccines to Florida residents or those who own property here and reside part-time       THIS is your wording not mine. So you did it say it. I copied it from YOUR post

Kathy

Edited by rabin1

21 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

And if Canadians who are not part-time residents are getting the vaccine then it’s Publix that is violating the state’s requirements.

There was a report or two at very end of 2020 and/or early days of 2021 where some folks were flying down from Ontario, say, in a private jet to get vaccinated.  I don't quite understand that as the article never mentioned them doing it twice, nor if they were staying.  This was prior to specific ID requirements and was described like a jaunt.

I doubt non-resident Canadians to any great extent have got the shot as a vacationing visitor would need to first get appointment for first dose and then stay around to get the second dose.  If they returned home in between, they would have to quarantine for 14 days at home, come back to FL, and then repeat. 

I would think that 99% of Canadians who got and are getting vaccinated in FL either own property or are seasonal snowbirds leasing/renting somewhere.  We were only in FL for about eight weeks this Winter.

Edited by Steelers36

14 minutes ago, rabin1 said:

What bias are you talking about and I think you need to reread your post because you did say what you are denying? I hope and pray every person gets the vaccine and soon. I have been to Africa twice and down the Amazon and I have been so worried about those people so far in the outlying areas and the third world countries. I notice you did not put or say where you live do you live here in Florida?

I said Florida ID OR proof of ownership for part-time residents. NOT both. I do live in Florida so I am well aware of the vaccine access requirements. Had to show my Florida driver’s license to get one. You do know that Florida has the highest number of Peruvian residents in the country. Over 100,000 of them.  So if a Peruvian showed up at the Publix where your friends work it does not mean they were not eligible as a resident.  

Edited by harkinmr

5 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

There was a report or two at very end of 2020 and/or early days of 2021 where some folks were flying down from Ontario, say, in a private jet to get vaccinated.  I don't quite understand that as the article never mentioned them doing it twice, nor if they were staying.  This was prior to specific ID requirements and was described like a jaunt.

I doubt non-resident Canadians to any great extent have got the shot as a vacationing visitor would need to first get appointment for first dose and then stay around to get the second dose.  If they returned home in between, they would have to quarantine for 14 days at home, come back to FL, and then repeat. 

I would think that 99% of Canadians who got and are getting vaccinated in FL either own property or are seasonal snowbirds leasing/renting somewhere.  We were only in FL for about eight weeks this Winter.

We did have a lot of vaccine tourism here early on, including Canadians and out of state folks who traveled here just for that purpose. There was an uproar and the requirements were changed.  Of course there are many Canadians who are snowbirds here.  And they’ve been vaccinated no problem. 

9 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

We did have a lot of vaccine tourism here early on, including Canadians and out of state folks who traveled here just for that purpose. There was an uproar and the requirements were changed.  Of course there are many Canadians who are snowbirds here.  And they’ve been vaccinated no problem. 

Yes, part of my hesitancy on arrival was that there was some rumblings about outsiders "butting in", so to speak, and I could see there was a lot of demand from Floridians, so I thought they needed it more than me.  Had the interest been low, well why not accept a shot?  

As I said, those few who specifically flew in for it, spent a ton of money and then had to endure quarantine upon return home.  And they either had to return again, or have a place to stay for 3-4 weeks. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rabin1 said:

Kathy

I'm not quite sure I understand your position on this. Do you think it would have been better for the pharmacies with doses left at the end of the day that would go bad to say too bad, we would rather throw it away than give a non-resident the dose?

18 hours ago, harkinmr said:

Because vaccines should go to US residents only to start

and we are well past the 'to start' and getting more and more US residents vaccinated on a daily basis - IF THEY WANT TO BE VACCINATED - 

I certainly don't have a problem - and this is strictly about US Ports - having the crew vaccinated as these sailings FROM US PORTS will mostly be filled by US residents, my opinion, and I want the crew taking care of US residents in close quarters for days to be kept as safe as the vaccinated cruisers taking these start-up cruises 😷

6 minutes ago, voljeep said:

and we are well past the 'to start' and getting more and more US residents vaccinated on a daily basis - IF THEY WANT TO BE VACCINATED - 

I certainly don't have a problem - and this is strictly about US Ports - having the crew vaccinated as these sailings FROM US PORTS will mostly be filled by US residents, my opinion, and I want the crew taking care of US residents in close quarters for days to be kept as safe as the vaccinated cruisers taking these start-up cruises 😷

"Well past start".  Nope.  Only 20% of US population fully vaccinated and Florida is number 39 in percentage of population vaccinated.  Why is it that so many people have implied for weeks that we are further along than we actually are and we're all good to go.  Not at all the case, considering the increase in infections (particularly variant infections).  Thankfully, we are doing very well in getting vaccine distributed to states and into arms, but there are, and will continue to be, hiccups.  Until the US population has had the opportunity to be fully vaccinated, vaccines should not be going to international cruise lines for international crew.  That puts us probably by July and then it is a question for the federal government to make determinations on where our vaccine supplies go.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

has had the opportunity to be fully vaccinated,

vaccines are now available for 16 and up in Florida - and if you WANT a vaccine - you can get one with a little effort

I'm for starting up cruising - and I want the international crew taking care of U S RESIDENTS to be vaccinated and safe - both for us and them

" cherry picked article for MY agenda - return safely to cruising "

‘Trouble filling our schedules;’ Rural clinics, pharmacies seek to fill open vaccine slots as hesitancy looms (msn.com)

Edited by voljeep

Just now, voljeep said:

vaccines are now available for 16 and up in Florida - and if you WANT a vaccine - you can get one with a little effort

I'm for starting up cruising - and I want the international crew taking care of U S RESIDENTS to be vaccinated and safe - both for us and them

Do you live here?  While vaccine access is open to 16 and over (as of this past Monday), not everyone can get one right away "with little effort".  Securing an appointment is a challenge, and, to my knowledge, I don't see that we are going to be getting sufficient doses to fully vaccinate our population as rapidly as you would like to imply.  It's pretty clear what your opinion is, but I don't agree.  And neither do the cruise lines.  Frank Del Rio and Richard Fain have already publicly spoken about their prospective challenges in vaccinating crew for a reopening this summer.  That is their problem to solve.  And if you are such a proponent of giving vaccines out to cruise crew, how about your state supplying them, and don't put the onus on Florida.  A bigger problem than vaccinated crew is getting them to want to work with the CDC in a meaningful way to reopen here in the US.  And filing lawsuits doesn't count!

6 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

.  It's pretty clear what your opinion is, but I don't agree

right back at you - we disagree

central florida resident and homeowner over 30 years

wife is frontline healthcare worker

both vac'd 9+ weeks since second - at her work , Pfizer, thru Walgreen's ( Not Publix )

family unit member - not eligible until now - has appointment at PUBLIX on tuesday - took 2 tries online to book

so, yeah

my glass is always HALF-FULL 🥃 - looking for the can, not the can not 

5 minutes ago, voljeep said:

a lawyer once told me - I don't send letters ... I file lawsuits

attention getting - of course

Been a lawyer for almost 30 years and quick-trigger lawsuits have never been my favored approach.  I know it certainly is with ambulance chasers.  And, you're right.  It is just "attention getting", nothing more.  Political theater by our Governor, not likely to resolve anything quickly or easily.

11 minutes ago, voljeep said:

right back at you - we disagree

central florida resident and homeowner over 30 years

wife is frontline healthcare worker

both vac'd 9+ weeks since second - at her work , Pfizer, thru Walgreen's ( Not Publix )

family unit member - not eligible until now - has appointment at PUBLIX on tuesday - took 2 tries online to book

so, yeah

my glass is always HALF-FULL 🥃 - looking for the can, not the can not 

Heh, good for you.  Not so easy for a lot of people right now.  And again, it should be hands off our vaccine supply for the not to distant future. 

• Like 1