Jump to content

CDC says we may be able to start cruising from US this summer


Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, Navis said:

This has really been a difficult few days for me on this Board. I’ve tried to remain objective and level-headed while at all times respecting each person’s right to decide for his or herself what is right for them and their family. But I drew the line at fact .. we are all entitled to our own opinions but not our own facts.

 

I have been on these boards for a long time (under a prior screen name for which I lost both the password and the email I was using). I joined because when we first started cruising we came here for advice and guidance and there are so many wonderful contributors here (looking at you Bird Travels, Jamie Logical and, of course the DougOut’s famous trip reports). We became cruisers because of all the great tips and insight you all provided and continue to provide. I would never have even learned about all NCL had to offer without you all. And we owe you all thanks for all great memories our family has made.

 

I wanted to join to give back and provide insight to other cruisers and be part of what was such an amazing community of enthusiastic cruisers! So much has changed here and it’s very disheartening to me.

 

I went to bed last night really down on the level of discourse on this Board ... knowing full well the part that I have played. The constant back and forth and the confirmation bias is worse here than on other social media sites. At first I thought it was a function of the fact that no one is cruising now so what else is there to talk about? Then I checked in on another Board on here ... Seabourn (where our next 2 cruises are scheduled on .. but we shall see). The discourse on that Board (although far less active) is so much more civil. And all my interactions there have been respectful.

 

I woke up this morning very upset to see what had transpired overnight and various posts throughout the day have clarified things greatly for me. At this time, I think it right that I bid farewell to this Board. I wish you all health and wellness and if anyone wants to find me I’ll be over on the Seabourn board.


Clear skies and calm breezes to you all.

 

 

 

 

 

19 minutes ago, Tippyton said:

In a related story, hundreds of thousands of people are arriving at our southern border on foot as no negative testing for entry is required.

 

21 minutes ago, Keksie said:

There are only 7 houses on my mile long road and all are far away from the road with trees so you actually could walk my neighborhood and not be recorded.  I know there are many ways to be located if someone really wants to.  Some take warrants and some are available to anyone with time on their hands who want to look through hours of tape.  I won't add to those possibilities with an app on my phone.  

Just where are you going that is such a secret anyway?  Do you think the government actually cares?

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, B Midged said:

 

 

Just where are you going that is such a secret anyway?  Do you think the government actually cares?

Nowhere and no I don't think they care.  It is the principal of the tracking that I am not willing to just accept.  As for the covid app or tracelets there are just too many unanswered questions.  How close do you need to be to someone and for how long to be notified?  How many days out?  How contagious was that person at that time? For instance could you have been in a store, passed by a person, who 5 days later tested positive?  On the ship could you have been in the same dining room but far away from someone who tests positive causing you to be let off at the next port?  

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Keksie said:

Nowhere and no I don't think they care.  It is the principal of the tracking that I am not willing to just accept.  As for the covid app or tracelets there are just too many unanswered questions.  How close do you need to be to someone and for how long to be notified?  How many days out?  How contagious was that person at that time? For instance could you have been in a store, passed by a person, who 5 days later tested positive?  On the ship could you have been in the same dining room but far away from someone who tests positive causing you to be let off at the next port?  

These are the parameters that Royal has set.  Unless you know the person I highly doubt you would ever meet these parameters.  Also it does not state that you would be put off at the next port. 


If you are found to have come within 1 meter (3 feet) of a COVID-19 positive person, for at least 15 minutes, certain actions may be required for your safety and the safety of your fellow guests. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

These are the parameters that Royal has set.  Unless you know the person I highly doubt you would ever meet these parameters.  Also it does not state that you would be put off at the next port. 


If you are found to have come within 1 meter (3 feet) of a COVID-19 positive person, for at least 15 minutes, certain actions may be required for your safety and the safety of your fellow guests. 

 

 

Gee what could go wrong?  What are the certain actions?  Quarantine to your cabin for the rest of the cruise?  What about a false positive?  Even the CDC says that if you are vaccinated and exposed you don't need to quarantine or test unless you have symptoms.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Keksie said:

Gee what could go wrong?  What are the certain actions?  Quarantine to your cabin for the rest of the cruise?  What about a false positive?  Even the CDC says that if you are vaccinated and exposed you don't need to quarantine or test unless you have symptoms.

You were the one who said there were no details, I simply  provided the details.

 

"As for the covid app or tracelets there are just too many unanswered questions.  How close do you need to be to someone and for how long to be notified?  How many days out?  How contagious was that person at that time? For instance could you have been in a store, passed by a person, who 5 days later tested positive?  On the ship could you have been in the same dining room but far away from someone who tests positive causing you to be let off at the next port?"

 

The examples you hypothesized are a long way from actual practice

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/9/2021 at 3:50 PM, smokeybandit said:

This is so false it's not funny.

 

Covid is killing more 1) because it targets elderly and those medically vulnerable, and 2) because we use a totally different way to record covid deaths as we do flu deaths. Flu deaths are estimated based on those who 1) test positive, 2) see a doctor and 3) are hospitalized. Covid deaths are merely dying within 30 days of testing positive or showing covid symptoms without a positive test.

 

Mitigation efforts haven't worked anywhere except small island nations who can get away with completely closing their borders.  Take a look at regional data in the USA.  Take states with severe mitigations efforts put along side states with limited mitigation efforts. Their covid trends are IDENTICAL.

 

But then there's this: https://www.wane.com/community/health/coronavirus/covid-19-precautions-lead-to-historic-lows-in-flu-cases-across-indiana/

And this: https://www.osfhealthcare.org/blog/covid-19-precautions-drive-down-flu-cases/

And this: https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/news/articles/flu-cases-decline-dramatically-this-season

And about a million others corroborating those.

 

Gee, who to believe, experts or some guy on the Internet?  I'll take the experts, thanks.  "Oh, but I know better than the so-called 'experts.'"  That bit is getting old.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, BeachyBrowns said:

But then there's this: https://www.wane.com/community/health/coronavirus/covid-19-precautions-lead-to-historic-lows-in-flu-cases-across-indiana/

And this: https://www.osfhealthcare.org/blog/covid-19-precautions-drive-down-flu-cases/

And this: https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/news/articles/flu-cases-decline-dramatically-this-season

And about a million others corroborating those.

 

Gee, who to believe, experts or some guy on the Internet?  I'll take the experts, thanks.  "Oh, but I know better than the so-called 'experts.'"  That bit is getting old.

 

Here's one of Joe Biden's covid advisors discussing viral interference

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

I guess her axe is already been ground to a high degree of sharpness. LOL

But the grinding stone seems to still be getting a workout.

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, BeachyBrowns said:

But then there's this: https://www.wane.com/community/health/coronavirus/covid-19-precautions-lead-to-historic-lows-in-flu-cases-across-indiana/

And this: https://www.osfhealthcare.org/blog/covid-19-precautions-drive-down-flu-cases/

And this: https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/news/articles/flu-cases-decline-dramatically-this-season

And about a million others corroborating those.

 

Gee, who to believe, experts or some guy on the Internet?  I'll take the experts, thanks.  "Oh, but I know better than the so-called 'experts.'"  That bit is getting old.

Not sure about anywhere else, but here's the year-over-year comparison of flu pre-covid to current in Florida:

Capture.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just curious any ideas how they will decide who gets to sail on a reduced revenue ship as I am assuming most of the cruises are booked full. I'm set to sail on Oasis in August. Doubt it's going to happen.

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, josephine678 said:

Just curious any ideas how they will decide who gets to sail on a reduced revenue ship as I am assuming most of the cruises are booked full. I'm set to sail on Oasis in August. Doubt it's going to happen.

I was wondering this as well.  We are approaching our date to pay in full for a July cruise and half my family will not feel comfortable cruising.  We would love to lift and shift but don't have that option if this cruise actually sails.  But maybe they would ask for volunteers to shift if they have more than the reduced capacity already booked?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am so frustrated with the cruise lines final pay policy.  Right now we have to decide to give the cruise line another 5K (total of 7K) in order to pay for our cruise in July.  I have a feeling it will be cancelled but I also will not be able to travel as some in our party will not be able to be vaccinated.  So, my options are to pay in full and let the cruise line hold my money until, maybe August, which will keep us from doing anything else this summer due to having our vacation money being held by the cruise line,  or taking a 2K FCC for a cruise that we may never get to go on.  I think that the cruise lines are obviously doing this so that they have cash flow and I understand the business side, but we need answers as to what is going to happen to people who can not be vaccinated.  I already know that some in my party will not have the vaccine and they have said that you must be vaccinated.  I believe that it is important to have a plan in place for refunds in these situations.  Otherwise there will be lawsuits and that is the last thing that the cruise lines need at this time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BeachyBrowns said:

But then there's this: https://www.wane.com/community/health/coronavirus/covid-19-precautions-lead-to-historic-lows-in-flu-cases-across-indiana/

And this: https://www.osfhealthcare.org/blog/covid-19-precautions-drive-down-flu-cases/

And this: https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/news/articles/flu-cases-decline-dramatically-this-season

And about a million others corroborating those.

 

Gee, who to believe, experts or some guy on the Internet?  I'll take the experts, thanks.  "Oh, but I know better than the so-called 'experts.'"  That bit is getting old.

You are too..."Move on, these aren't the droids you're looking for..."

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Keksie said:

Gee what could go wrong?  What are the certain actions?  Quarantine to your cabin for the rest of the cruise?  What about a false positive?  Even the CDC says that if you are vaccinated and exposed you don't need to quarantine or test unless you have symptoms.

You just answered your own question.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jp2746 said:

Right now we have to decide to give the cruise line another 5K (total of 7K)

You could try to downgrade to the cheapest cabin to have less money tied up waiting for the refund. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jp2746 said:

I am so frustrated with the cruise lines final pay policy.  Right now we have to decide to give the cruise line another 5K (total of 7K) in order to pay for our cruise in July.  I have a feeling it will be cancelled but I also will not be able to travel as some in our party will not be able to be vaccinated.  So, my options are to pay in full and let the cruise line hold my money until, maybe August, which will keep us from doing anything else this summer due to having our vacation money being held by the cruise line,  or taking a 2K FCC for a cruise that we may never get to go on.  I think that the cruise lines are obviously doing this so that they have cash flow and I understand the business side, but we need answers as to what is going to happen to people who can not be vaccinated.  I already know that some in my party will not have the vaccine and they have said that you must be vaccinated.  I believe that it is important to have a plan in place for refunds in these situations.  Otherwise there will be lawsuits and that is the last thing that the cruise lines need at this time.

There has been no vaccine policy decided upon as of yet. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yesterday I was getting some cokes from the gas station and I only had a 10$ bill, as I was giving it to the cashier it dawned on me.....peeps are so scared of this virus, but they have no problem touching some of the dirtiest things on the planet when it comes to money! No spraying down of that bill!🤪

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/6/2021 at 7:43 PM, John&LaLa said:

 

Umm, summer starts on Memorial Day. End of May. Summer ends on Labor Day, early September

Officially summer is June 20th,2021 and ends September 22nd. 
 

In Seattle where I live Summer starts on July 5th 🤣

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, josephine678 said:

Just curious any ideas how they will decide who gets to sail on a reduced revenue ship as I am assuming most of the cruises are booked full. I'm set to sail on Oasis in August. Doubt it's going to happen.

 

C&A level😉

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Sweetnspicy said:

Officially summer is June 20th,2021 and ends September 22nd. 
 

In Seattle where I live Summer starts on July 5th 🤣

 

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

 

I've lived in 10+ states. As far north as Indiana. Summer kicks off with Memorial Day and ends with Labor Day

 

Screenshot_20210412-100526_Google.thumb.jpg.04105db522445fc968b31f57abe5d16d.jpg

 

https://wilstar.com/holidays/summer.htm

Edited by John&LaLa
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

 

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

 

I've lived in 10+ states. As far north as Indiana. Summer kicks off with Memorial Day and ends with Labor Day

 

Screenshot_20210412-100526_Google.thumb.jpg.04105db522445fc968b31f57abe5d16d.jpg

Memorial Day is not the start of summer. People may feel that it does but there are official dates. 

B8A86453-6FAD-405D-ACAF-2FF259725A6F.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sweetnspicy said:

Memorial Day is not the start of summer. People may feel that it does but there are official dates. 

B8A86453-6FAD-405D-ACAF-2FF259725A6F.png

 

Summer is a state of mind, not a solar event.

 

Begins Memorial Day

Peaks 4th of July

Ends Labor Day

 

Welcome to America, it's how we roll

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, John&LaLa said:

 

Summer is a state of mind, not a solar event.

 

Begins Memorial Day

Peaks 4th of July

Ends Labor Day

 

Welcome to America, it's how we roll

I am American. In the PNW the weather doesn’t warm up until July if we are lucky. So I guess that’s just how we roll. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Sweetnspicy said:

I am American. In the PNW the weather doesn’t warm up until July if we are lucky. So I guess that’s just how we roll. 

 

Don't you live north of most Canadians, eh.

 

Seattle is nice in September 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: Ponant Cruises & Expeditions - Return to Europe!
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with Barbara Muckermann, CMO Silversea Cruises
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...