CDC says we may be able to start cruising from US this summer

After the Carnival and Disney cancellations, now come Virgin Cruises -- doesn't look like the cruise lines are buying the midsummer dream:

"Virgin Voyages has now canceled all cruises from Miami on Scarlet Lady through September 17, 2021. This includes Richard’s Birthday Bash which has now been moved to July 17, 2022.

The cruise line said that the entire cruise industry has done an enormous amount of work to get ready to sail again, the current CDC framework and timing make starting operations in the U.S. very difficult. They are committed to working with them for a safe return to operations, but believe this is still a few months away."

18 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

After the Carnival and Disney cancellations, now come Virgin Cruises -- doesn't look like the cruise lines are buying the midsummer dream:

"Virgin Voyages has now canceled all cruises from Miami on Scarlet Lady through September 17, 2021. This includes Richard’s Birthday Bash which has now been moved to July 17, 2022.

The cruise line said that the entire cruise industry has done an enormous amount of work to get ready to sail again, the current CDC framework and timing make starting operations in the U.S. very difficult. They are committed to working with them for a safe return to operations, but believe this is still a few months away."

I don't believe anything the CDC says or comes up with.  Someone prepared a list of do and don't by the CDC which were later changed or modified.

Wear a mask.

Don’t wear a mask.

Wear multiple masks.

Wear the whole danged box of masks.

The virus will spread on a surface.

The virus will not spread on a surface.

You should stand six feet apart.

You should only stand three feet apart.

Kids won’t be able to play sports.

Kids will be able to play sports, but only if they wear a mask.

On the other hand, professional athletes do not need to wear a mask on the field or the court, but they should do it on the sidelines.

You can sit two feet away from someone on public transportation, but once you are departing, you MUST stand six feet apart.

The virus doesn’t travel horizontally.

The virus does travel horizontally.

The vaccines are optional.

The vaccines are NOT optional, and they are the ONLY WAY to stop the spread of COVID.

Just when you thought there was no possible way they could get it wrong again, apparently they are walking something else back again. Now, the CDC is saying that the COVID vaccinations are not enough to prevent people from carrying the virus.

Yes, CDC chief Rochelle Walensky did say earlier this week that “vaccinated people are not able to carry the virus, and they don’t get sick.”

However, the CDC has now reversed course, saying that “there is no clear evidence” and Walensky was merely “speaking broadly.”

“It’s possible that some with the vaccine could get it,” a spokesman from the CDC told the New York Times.

LOL

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

50 minutes ago, nelblu said:

I don't believe anything the CDC says or comes up with.  Someone prepared a list of do and don't by the CDC which were later changed or modified.

Wear a mask.

Don’t wear a mask.

Wear multiple masks.

On the other hand, professional athletes do not need to wear a mask on the field or the court, but they should do it on the sidelines.

You can sit two feet away from someone on public transportation, but once you are departing, you MUST stand six feet apart.

The vaccines are NOT optional, and they are the ONLY WAY to stop the spread of COVID.

Just when you thought there was no possible way they could get it wrong again, apparently they are walking something else back again. Now, the CDC is saying that the COVID vaccinations are not enough to prevent people from carrying the virus.

Yes, CDC chief Rochelle Walensky did say earlier this week that “vaccinated people are not able to carry the virus, and they don’t get sick.”

However, the CDC has now reversed course, saying that “there is no clear evidence” and Walensky was merely “speaking broadly.”

“It’s possible that some with the vaccine could get it,” a spokesman from the CDC told the New York Times.

LOL

God help us all.  They left out this gem after we were told to sanitize everything around us with disinfectant:

Regular household cleaners and soap — not disinfectant — are fine to use to clean indoor surfaces and lower the risk of spreading the coronavirus, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Monday.

“Disinfection is only recommended in indoor settings, schools, and homes where there has been a suspected or confirmed case of COVID-19 within the last 24 hours,” CDC Director Rochelle Walensky said at Monday's White House coronavirus briefing.

10 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

God help us all.  They left out this gem after we were told to sanitize everything around us with disinfectant:

Regular household cleaners and soap — not disinfectant — are fine to use to clean indoor surfaces and lower the risk of spreading the coronavirus, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Monday.

“Disinfection is only recommended in indoor settings, schools, and homes where there has been a suspected or confirmed case of COVID-19 within the last 24 hours,” CDC Director Rochelle Walensky said at Monday's White House coronavirus briefing.

Everyone in my household washes their hands immediately when they come home, so I really don't see any need to clean indoor surfaces to lower the risk of spreading Covid. Other than wiping down groceries,(which I no longer do), I never have done any special cleaning/disinfecting inside my home - even when the pandemic started.

Edited by mek
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, nelblu said:

Wear a mask.

Don’t wear a mask.

Wear multiple masks.

LOL

You do realize that Covid-19 is a novel virus. Absolutely NOTHING was known about it or how it worked in the beginning. Changes in recommendations are expected as more knowledge is gained.

The change in whether the vaccine prevents disease and death could be based on the very recent info coming out of Michigan that 246 fully vaccinated people have had covid breakthrough infections with 11 hospitalizations and 3 deaths.

Information changes daily.  So, the recommendations will also change.  If you understand science, you understand this.  These docs are humans. They are not perfect. They are learning constantly and will make mistakes. But I trust renowned docs before a bunch of epidemiologist wannabes on the news, politics, or on a cruise board.  Actual physicians on here excepted.

Edited by cured
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, mek said:

Everyone in my household washes their hands immediately when they come home, so I really don't see any need to clean indoor surfaces to lower the risk of spreading Covid. Other than wiping down groceries,(which I no longer do), I never have done any special cleaning/disinfecting inside my home - even when the pandemic started.

Looks like you used common sense and are way ahead of the CDC.  Most of us here are using are using our noggins rather than relying on the Clueless Daft Control. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, cured said:

You do realize that Covid-19 is a novel virus. Absolutely NOTHING was known about it or how it worked in the beginning. Changes in recommendations are expected as more knowledge is gained.

We knew plenty about masks and airborne viruses. We knew plenty about social distancing during airborne virus pandemics. AMerican society just chose to ignore it.

What we didn't yet know was that it wasn't nearly as bad as we originally thought.

15 minutes ago, cured said:

I agree that not everything was known but not that nothing was known.

To quote BBC's Bryan Walsh "Over the past 15 years, there has been no shortage of articles and white papers issuing dire warnings that a global pandemic involving a new respiratory disease was only a matter of time."

And from Columbia's School of Public Health:

“We’ve been expecting this.” These are the words of Columbia Mailman School Professor Simon Anthony, one of the world’s experts on coronavirus. Based on years of studying coronaviruses and how they spillover from animals into humans, he knew something like the COVID-19 outbreak was bound to happen sooner or later.

“We didn’t know which virus would emerge or where, but the fact that it happened is no surprise at all,” says Anthony, who works in the Center for Infection and Immunity and was a key member of PREDICT, the United States Agency for International Development (USAID)-funded global program to detect and discover viruses in animal hosts with pandemic potential. The program, unfortunately, has all but ceased operations."

https://www.publichealth.columbia.edu/public-health-now/news/kind-outbreak-our-scientists-knew-would-happen

Edited by livingonthebeach

2 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

We knew plenty about masks and airborne viruses. We knew plenty about social distancing during airborne virus pandemics. AMerican society just chose to ignore it.

What we didn't yet know was that it wasn't nearly as bad as we originally thought.

Perhaps for the general population, but not the aged and immune compromised.

You might want to thank the vaccine for making it not as bad as "originally thought".  It has been the game changer, allowing some states to fully open and others more freedoms. That being said, the aged and immune compromised will have had their first dose, if not both long ago had they wished to take them.

In saying that, I totally skip over the current longer haulers and those that died in the last year.  They might consider it worse that you do.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, A&L_Ont said:

Perhaps for the general population, but not the aged and immune compromised.

Yes, it was bad for that group, but a large percentage of those that died with covid were already nearing their natural ends.  Doesn't make it less tragic, but had covid been like swine flu and not targeted the most vulnerable populations, covid would have been forgotten long ago.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sea Dog said:

Over 500,000 dead in the US would disagree with you.

You do realize we use a totally different way of counting covid deaths than we do anything else right?

If we used the same methodology used for flu deaths (positive test, hospitalization) we'd have about 150k covid deaths, which would be on par with two bad flu seasons.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

You do realize we use a totally different way of counting covid deaths than we do anything else right?

If we used the same methodology used for flu deaths (positive test, hospitalization) we'd have about 150k covid deaths, which would be on par with two bad flu seasons.

500,000+ more people died in the US over the last year than normal. 

Edited by time4u2go
  • Like 7

16 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Are you saying that either covid deaths are being vastly over-reported, or flu deaths were vastly under-reported, by hundreds of thousands of deaths!  This sounds unlikely to me, unless there's some massive conspiracy.  But just because it sounds very unlikely doesn't mean it isn't true, I guess.

So I would be interested in your source for this.  A couple of papers I found after a very brief Google Scholar search suggested that Covid deaths might actually have been under-reported a bit relative to the flu, but the studies were done very early in the pandemic, so reporting standards could have changed.  I'll keep looking.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Yes, it was bad for that group, but a large percentage of those that died with covid were already nearing their natural ends.  Doesn't make it less tragic, but had covid been like swine flu and not targeted the most vulnerable populations, covid would have been forgotten long ago.

Why have the deaths of this group drop of dramatically in the last few months? Without the vaccine and other protocols set by the CDC we'd still be in that position. If you are paying attention, a lot more of the younger people are coming into play. I'm sure the tune will change if they start passing away or end up in the hospital.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

I saw the refrigerator cars full of bodies lined up in Brooklyn last spring.  Very sobering.  Definitely not like flu season.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

You need help !

2 hours ago, dv70 said:

Pretty good summary of US deaths, including those attributed to Covid in this March 31, 2021 paper by the CDC:

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/pdfs/mm7014e1-H.pdf

They estimate 377,883 deaths last year as "Covid deaths". 60% of which were in people ages 75+

Do they also estimate how many of that group died from the flu and any difference from previous years.