CDC Open to USA cruise return this Summer

cruiserking

The phase 2A guidelines already outlined this. It’s mostly up to the cruise lines at this point. They need service contracts in place and adjustments to crew reporting  completed so they can move forward with the next steps.  I don’t think the CDC will issue any target dates here on out since it’s dependent on the cruise lines to actually do the work now. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

The phase 2A guidelines already outlined this. It’s mostly up to the cruise lines at this point. They need service contracts in place and adjustments to crew reporting  completed so they can move forward with the next steps.  I don’t think the CDC will issue any target dates here on out since it’s dependent on the cruise lines to actually do the work now. 

Honestly as it should be, it is their business, step to the plate cruise lines.  Carnival threatened today to move their ships to non US ports.  Not sure how other countries will like the Carnival circus coming to town but C'est la vie.

Edited by KWW88
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

Exactly.  It's still up to the cruise lines how fast this process goes.

22 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

Time to dust those cruise clothes off.

Now all we are missing is what are the restrictions?  Waiting on the CDC.

I think waiting on the cruise lines to stop dragging their feet

• Like 4

Just now, NMTraveller said:

And your news source is?  They would start cruising right away if allowed.

It is not the CDC job to keep cruise lines in business, rather it is to protect us, I believe they are doing what they are mandated to do.  I want to get on a ship as much as anyone, cruise lines need to help themselves better and stop whining.  Submit some type of a plan and stop saying we don't know what you want, just submit something, let CDC review and respond.  I don't need a "source"

• Like 7

23 minutes ago, KWW88 said:

It is not the CDC job to keep cruise lines in business, rather it is to protect us, I believe they are doing what they are mandated to do.  I want to get on a ship as much as anyone, cruise lines need to help themselves better and stop whining.  Submit some type of a plan and stop saying we don't know what you want, just submit something, let CDC review and respond.  I don't need a "source"

Sorry, but the CDC has done a piss poor job of this the past year.  They allowed themselves to be far too politically motivated in how they did things rather than staying independent in how they actually perceive the science.  They rolled over and acquiesced to idiocy.  Now they're playing catch-up and trying to redeem themselves.

Too little, too late.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

Just now, K.T.B. said:

Sorry, but the CDC has done a piss poor job of this the past year.  They allowed themselves to be far too politically motivated in how they did things rather than staying independent in how they actually perceive the science.  They rolled over and acquiesced to idiocy.  Now they're playing catch-up and trying to redeem themselves.

Too little, too late.

nah

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, K.T.B. said:

Too little, too late.

The reason this whole technical guidance circus started was because the cruise lines did nothing to help themselves when the initial NSO came out. Their plan was to wait it out. Read the extension docs. They couldn’t even ensure crew were wearing masks and canceling crew social activities.  CDC has done their job which is disease control. Cruise lines? Still waiting.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, KWW88 said:

I think waiting on the cruise lines to stop dragging their feet

If you read the CDC quote, the CSO phased approach is still in place. There is no change on that.  The technical guidance is there and now the cruise lines need to submit their plans. Not really any different than last Friday.  If they move through the phases then they can apply for restricted sailings by mid-summer. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Gracie115 said:

If everyone on a ship is vaccinated........why is there need for anything else....it should be the safest place on earth....

Agreed.  The CDC is not taking the successful rollout of vaccines into account.  But as long as the CDC and the cruise lines fail to come an agreement, other countries like the Bahamas, St. Marten, Bermuda and now Jamaica will be the beneficiaries.  

• Like 2

The three large cruise consortiums have raised enough capital to ensure sustainability for at least the next fifteen months. This from a recent CC article on the cruising dilemma. Whereas Carnival, and any other cruise line for that matter, can bluster about and threaten to move their ships to non-US ports, rest assured that once the US all-clear signal is given everyone will come rushing back. Indeed, if Carnival has reached agreements with other embarkation points, just as RCCL and Celebrity have, then good on 'em.  Any cruising revenue is certainly welcomed and deserved. 

A successful vaccine rollout, distribution and arms entry is no doubt in progress. However, that is not the only consideration and determination pertinent to the CDC's decision to resume US sailings, nor should it be. If threats and hectoring served to intimidate the agency, then it's existence would serve no purpose and it's decisions would be meaningless. Whether we like them or not.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

The three large cruise consortiums have raised enough capital to ensure sustainability for at least the next fifteen months. This from a recent CC article on the cruising dilemma. Whereas Carnival, and any other cruise line for that matter, can bluster about and threaten to move their ships to non-US ports, rest assured that once the US all-clear signal is given everyone will come rushing back. Indeed, if Carnival has reached agreements with other embarkation points, just as RCCL and Celebrity have, then good on 'em.  Any cruising revenue is certainly welcomed and deserved. 

A successful vaccine rollout, distribution and arms entry is no doubt in progress. However, that is not the only consideration and determination pertinent to the CDC's decision to resume US sailings, nor should it be. If threats and hectoring served to intimidate the agency, then it's existence would serve no purpose and it's decisions would be meaningless. Whether we like them or not.

If the cruise ships home port in another country for the summer and perhaps the winter then the CDC loses its regulatory authority over these foreign home ported cruises.  They become irrelevant in the matter.  Then Americans cruise on the ships and come back.  It would seem to me that the best solution would be for both parties to come to an agreement vs having all of these foreign home ported cruises with laxxer regulations and zero CDC oversight.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

Apparently Oceania Cruises doesn't think their parent company's (NCL) request to the CDC to start cruising by July 4th is  going to happen. I got this from them last night and it says Oceania will not restart cruising until August 1.

Coronavirus Statement - Oceania Cruises

That may be a function of their itineraries.  O only has 6 ships, and none is in the Caribbean during the summer anyway.  I'm supposed to be on the Sirena TA in mid-October.  Still hoping, but not making any plans for London yet as the cancellation policies at AirBNBs are not COVID friendly.

1 hour ago, NMTraveller said:

If the cruise ships home port in another country for the summer and perhaps the winter then the CDC loses its regulatory authority over these foreign home ported cruises.  They become irrelevant in the matter.  Then Americans cruise on the ships and come back.  It would seem to me that the best solution would be for both parties to come to an agreement vs having all of these foreign home ported cruises with laxxer regulations and zero CDC oversight.

Their are a few questions on your theory.

1) If any of the ships wanted to stop in the U.S., doesn't the CDC's procedures and requirements come in to play?

2) Where would you home port all these ships so they would be close enough that people would   

consider flying to? A vast number of Caribbean ports do not have the money to upgrade what

they have and the process would take years. Remember well over half of the cruise activity in

the world have US citizens and ports involved.

3) How many people would fly to a foreign country, on a regular basis, just to cruise? The cruises

from St. Maarten have been on sale for almost two weeks and none of those are sold out and

they start in two months. There have been many people who have said anytime, any place, where

are they when it's put up or shut up time.

Our house, our rules, if you don't like it, bye.

8 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

Their are a few questions on your theory.

1) If any of the ships wanted to stop in the U.S., doesn't the CDC's procedures and requirements come in to play?

2) Where would you home port all these ships so they would be close enough that people would   

consider flying to? A vast number of Caribbean ports do not have the money to upgrade what

they have and the process would take years. Remember well over half of the cruise activity in

the world have US citizens and ports involved.

3) How many people would fly to a foreign country, on a regular basis, just to cruise? The cruises

from St. Maarten have been on sale for almost two weeks and none of those are sold out and

they start in two months. There have been many people who have said anytime, any place, where

are they when it's put up or shut up time.

Our house, our rules, if you don't like it, bye.

1.  The foreign home ported ships are not travelling to the USA (at least not now).

2.  Mexico could home port some of these ships.  Just think of these cruises being the same as they were before (perhaps) without the USA stop.

3.  How many?  Not as many as would fly to Florida, but still enough to keep the industry afloat or at least to keep their cash burn rate down.

4. The cruise lines have already done some of this foreign home porting.

Edited by NMTraveller

If it is "all vaccine" I don't understand why we can't go. They have us stand 6' apart in the airport then put you in a sardine can to fly for hours without the opportunity to go outside for fresh air. Celebrity was always right on it, giving everyone hand sanitizer before they ever got on the ship and continuing to present it at any food venue and other places around the ship. 

If the crew and passengers are vaccinated, where is the problem?

• Like 3

The issue that concerns me is that both the Biden administration and Florida's governor (a Democrat and a Republican) are against mandating that U.S. citizens show proof of vaccination (e.g., vaccine "passports"). As a federal agency, how can the CDC tell Norwegian and other cruise lines that if you ensure everyone on the ship is vaccinated you can move forward? It would put the CDC in a position that's contrary to that of federal and (some) state officials.

I certainly would prefer to be on a ship where everyone has been vaccinated, and if I have to cruise on a ship with unvaccinated people it will probably delay my decision to cruise by a year or so. If cruise ships carry unvaccinated passengers or crew, there's obviously a much greater chance for an outbreak and possible quarantine, etc. And since the federal government is against a national electronic/digital vaccine verification system, cruise lines, even if allowed to sail with only vaccinated passengers and crew, will not be able to verify that everyone's  written/printed proof of vaccination is legitimate. It will essentially put things on the honor system, like when you use to have to fill out a form before boarding attesting that you don't have the flu, etc. I know the vast majority of people would not fake a vaccination record, but some passengers who can't or won't be vaccinated may do so in order to cruise, and some crew who can't or won't get vaccinated may also resort to counterfeit vaccination records because they need to work.

I just think the politics are going to make things difficult for the cruise lines to resume in the U.S. in the near future.

Edited by MarkWiltonM
typo

4 hours ago, Gracie115 said:

If everyone on a ship is vaccinated........why is there need for anything else....it should be the safest place on earth....

Because the vaccines do not offer 100% protection for 100% of the people, masks should still be worn to protect those who might get infected.

• Like 3