Jump to content

CDC Open to USA cruise return this Summer


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, cruiserking said:

This really needs context beyond just the headline.  Mid-summer IF the cruise lines can meet the CSO phased approach goals.  Really no different than last Friday's announcement.  The ball is back in the cruise lines' court:

 

“CDC is committed to working with the cruise industry and seaport partners to resume cruising following the phased approach outlined in the conditional sailing order,” CDC spokeswoman Jade Fulce said in a response to questions about Carnival. “This goal aligns with the desire to resume passenger operations in the United States expressed by many major cruise ship operators and travelers; hopefully, by mid-summer with restricted revenue sailings.”

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, phoneman69 said:

Sounds good but i would still be getting ready to pull ships from US waters. The CDC needs to release conditions and set dates

The CDC has announced the phase 1 and phase 2 requirements.  The ball is now in the cruise lines court to respond and follow through with what the CDC requires.  Once that happens, then phase 3 will occur, which may contain test sailing requirements and possible conditional dates.  This is all a back and forth tennis match.  The mid summer thing may happen if the cruise lines get their crap together SOON.  

I will still stick with my short revenue producing cruises by Labor Day prediction.

Edited by SNJCruisers
Link to post
Share on other sites

The CDC can save face all they want. If they don't make a Go/No-Go decision in the next 2-3 weeks, July is gone. Do you really think the CDC is in a hurry to have those discussions?

 

I do hope my July Mardi Gras cruise sails. As with everyone else, we truly need a real vacation. I just don't see the CDC doing anything. If the cruise lines and port authorities do not file suit to have the NSO lifted, I don't see the CDC doing it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, BoozinCroozin said:

The CDC can save face all they want. If they don't make a Go/No-Go decision in the next 2-3 weeks, July is gone. Do you really think the CDC is in a hurry to have those discussions?

 

I do hope my July Mardi Gras cruise sails. As with everyone else, we truly need a real vacation. I just don't see the CDC doing anything. If the cruise lines and port authorities do not file suit to have the NSO lifted, I don't see the CDC doing it.

 

While it's looking only fair for summer, I do think pressure is truly increasing on CDC in the past two weeks and I do not think they are just bluffing to extend the timeline further. As many have noted, it makes no sense whatsoever to allow Americans to fly to Nassau or Bermuda or St. Maarten, take a cruise from there, then fly back, but refuse the same from our own terra firma.  There is simply no reason that strategy is or should be any safer than allowing some departures from Florida or any other US port. If anything adding a pre-cruise flight could be riskier than individual families driving to port without crossing paths with thousands more people in the terminals and on the flight.

Link to post
Share on other sites

What is so difficult for the cruise companies to comply with what the CDC is requiring? So much for the shared pain with the US based support companies left abandoned at the piers. Just shows how the cruise companies are not US corporations.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Heartgrove said:

What is so difficult for the cruise companies to comply with what the CDC is requiring? So much for the shared pain with the US based support companies left abandoned at the piers. Just shows how the cruise companies are not US corporations.

 

Because the customers are fighting nearly every point. It puts the cruise companies between a rock and a hard place.

Link to post
Share on other sites


At least the ball is rolling now. There are some hard requirements in the document like the 12 hour delay between previous and new passengers occupying the same space, but even that can be worked around. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

The mid summer thing may happen if the cruise lines get their crap together SOON.  

Uhmmm the cruise lines???  Given that the CDC took close to 8 months to go from Step 1 to Step 2 after it only took the cruise lines 6 weeks to have Step 1 completed and given that there is only 12 months to the year and we are 4 months in AND that the Cruise lines have already stated Phase 2 is unworkable in its released form I dont see how a " mid summer thing may happen" if the CDC sticks to their pace.  But i love your optimism!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Heartgrove said:

What is so difficult for the cruise companies to comply with what the CDC is requiring? So much for the shared pain with the US based support companies left abandoned at the piers. Just shows how the cruise companies are not US corporations.

Why is the CDC requiring different rules for this segment of the Travel Industry vs other segments? I guarantee if you had different requirements demanded of you vs what your neighbor was being asked you would find it difficult too.   What does the fact that the Cruise Companies are registered corporations outside of the US have anything at all to do with it?  Their HQ's are based in the US, they have a ton of Infrastructure in the US and they directly and indirectly contribute to huge numbers of employment and tax revenue. There are 1000's of people who fly in to the US for Cruise departures that contribute millions to the tourism industry because of the fact they have based the majority of their operations there as well. But your absolutely right in one regard about how they are not US corporations....They are still in the US unlike most others!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

What is so difficult for the cruise companies to comply with what the CDC is requiring? So much for the shared pain with the US based support companies left abandoned at the piers. Just shows how the cruise companies are not US corporations.


 

The most onerous requirement is that the gangways going from the dock to the ship must not be used for 12 hours between disembarking passengers from the previous cruise and embarking new passengers for the next cruise. This might not be a problem for the bigger ports but would be one for the smaller ports.


The requirement that the companies have a signed agreement with a medical facility to accept as many Covid patients as the ship may have is too open ended for most hospitals to want to agree to in advance.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, dan4182 said:


 

The most onerous requirement is that the gangways going from the dock to the ship must not be used for 12 hours between disembarking passengers from the previous cruise and embarking new passengers for the next cruise. This might not be a problem for the bigger ports but would be one for the smaller ports.


The requirement that the companies have a signed agreement with a medical facility to accept as many Covid patients as the ship may have is too open ended for most hospitals to want to agree to in advance.

 

Well, science and historical evidence have shown us that COVID does not linger on surfaces.  And if you're wearing your scientifically proven ineffective face mask and have had your vaccines and manage to not trigger a false positive off a exit PCR test, there'll be no COVID particles on the gangway to begin with.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, crewsweeper said:

Well, science and historical evidence have shown us that COVID does not linger on surfaces.  And if you're wearing your scientifically proven ineffective face mask and have had your vaccines and manage to not trigger a false positive off a exit PCR test, there'll be no COVID particles on the gangway to begin with.  

 

If they're going to use science when crafting various protocol - they need to be open to adapting that protocol as new findings emerge. I'm sure that eventually they will, but this is layers deep government we're talking about here. 😞

 

Tom

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

Well, science and historical evidence have shown us that COVID does not linger on surfaces.  And if you're wearing your scientifically proven ineffective face mask and have had your vaccines and manage to not trigger a false positive off a exit PCR test, there'll be no COVID particles on the gangway to begin with.  

Scientifically proven ineffective mask?  What the hell does that mean?  Masks reduce community spead and have been shown by data over and over to be effective at reducing disease. Contries that complied with masks, like Japan, have almost no Covid.  What science are you referring to?

 

Why do medical professionals wear masks in surgery if they are ineffective?  Comments like these by intelligent adults completely baffle me. The politicization, 'freedom' angle is so stupid.  Its such a minor inconvenience, yet chest beating idiots want to fight to prove something about their ego.  So odd.  And 'deep government'  geeze....stop reading social media.  Its rotting your brain.  Intentional misinformation to keep you triggered and voting for someone is why you parrot those carefully engineered catch phrases.

Edited by Pizzasteve
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

 

While it's looking only fair for summer, I do think pressure is truly increasing on CDC in the past two weeks 

I dont even think there is a fair chance of cruising from the US this summer. It's already april. Mock cruises, inspections, 60 day filings ..and that's assuming they have manpower to do inspections in a timely manner. 

 

Cdc will not give up its hold over cruises easily. It's their only real power. Proven idiots. We are the government and here to help you. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't understand why the CDC has different rules for different areas of travel, and different rules for other industry, but yet it's okay for a Texas stadium to be filled to capacity with baseball fans; half without masks and no one social distancing.  Airlines and railways are operating, yet cruise lines can't even begin test runs in the U.S. They have complied as best they can to implement the changes necessary for health safety. Let them try out a couple short cruises and see how it works. I'm all for safety, but this is getting ridiculous. They won't know what works if they don't try.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I dont even think there is a fair chance of cruising from the US this summer. It's already april. Mock cruises, inspections, 60 day filings ..and that's assuming they have manpower to do inspections in a timely manner. 

 

Cdc will not give up its hold over cruises easily. It's their only real power. Proven idiots. We are the government and here to help you. 

The CDC isnt holding up cruises, it is Americans who didnt act responsibly to control this disease.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, fair-winds39 said:

I don't understand why the CDC has different rules for different areas of travel, and different rules for other industry, but yet it's okay for a Texas stadium to be filled to capacity with baseball fans; half without masks and no one social distancing.  Airlines and railways are operating, yet cruise lines can't even begin test runs in the U.S. They have complied as best they can to implement the changes necessary for health safety. Let them try out a couple short cruises and see how it works. I'm all for safety, but this is getting ridiculous. They won't know what works if they don't try.

You are absolutely right that this is wrong, but the simple answer is that the CDC does not have the control over the other industries that it has over the cruise industry.

 

I personally also believe that the government has hated the cruise industry for years due to them bypassing many taxes and employment regulations by flagging elsewhere.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Pizzasteve said:

The CDC isnt holding up cruises, it is Americans who didnt act responsibly to control this disease.

Actually not true. If what you said was true, the cdc would have already given steps and what is required to get sailing again. The cdc has been slow walking the requirements and some steps are impossible. Sorry but not true. Just opinion not fact based. Without retirements they cant restart. We could already be doing some fully vaccinated cruises by now if not for cdc. I got my 2nd dose beginning of feb. It is the cdc. 

 

Covid is coming under control as each dose is given. Alaska had no deaths last week I heard. NY and NJ lagging the way, but hopefully getting doses in arms.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with Barbara Muckermann, CMO Silversea Cruises
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...