CDC Open to USA cruise return this Summer

cruiserking

4 minutes ago, jperry2011 said:

I'm not sure if you know this or not but Covid has already spread across the US..  🤣🤣

Thanks, Captain Obvious.  What they are concerned with is someone stepping off a ship and starting a super spreader event, when that person could have been identified outside the US and not allowed back in, or transferred to a quarantine location.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

How does waiting 12 hours impact anything? That's probably less time than it takes to get to the next port.

There is generally not 12 hours between debarking and embarking passengers. If a port has more than one gangplank then I guess there is no  problem. But this requirement is one of the ones that will take some doing if it is even possible. 

2 minutes ago, cruisegirl said:

There is generally not 12 hours between debarking and embarking passengers. If a port has more than one gangplank then I guess there is no  problem. But this requirement is one of the ones that will take some doing if it is even possible. 

Having worked many turn-around days, and seen how operations are at various cruise terminals, this is a requirement that can easily be done at nearly every terminal, simply by segregating disembarkation from embarkation, and could almost be done simultaneously, as far as the terminal is concerned.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Uh, the gangways are the same, regardless of which side of the ship they are used on.  But, as the other poster stated, use the terminal "skyway" for embarkation, and a dock level ship's gangway for disembarkation, which would lead directly to CBP and baggage claim.

Thanks. That is helpful. I couldn’t figure out how turning the ship around would help. 

1 minute ago, chengkp75 said:

Having worked many turn-around days, and seen how operations are at various cruise terminals, this is a requirement that can easily be done at nearly every terminal, simply by segregating disembarkation from embarkation, and could almost be done simultaneously, as far as the terminal is concerned.

Glad to know that. Evidently many besides me didn’t know that as this has been discussed several times earlier. 

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Thanks, Captain Obvious.  What they are concerned with is someone stepping off a ship and starting a super spreader event, when that person could have been identified outside the US and not allowed back in, or transferred to a quarantine location.

So similar to someone flying into the US on an international flight? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KennyFla said:

Then why are we doing this?  If the vaccines don't allow us to go back to normal lives, are we all just to sit in our homes and wait to die?

Good point. If people are going to ignore simple instructions and allow the disease to come in wave after wave, variants and all, why bother? Well, it beats wearing tin foil hats.

7 minutes ago, SwordBlazer Cruising said:

So similar to someone flying into the US on an international flight? 

Yes, who has to have a negative covid test.  And, the CDC classifies a flight as transportation, while a cruise ship is a "close residential" environment.

Edited by chengkp75

3 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Uh, the gangways are the same, regardless of which side of the ship they are used on.  But, as the other poster stated, use the terminal "skyway" for embarkation, and a dock level ship's gangway for disembarkation, which would lead directly to CBP and baggage claim.

Okay, I misspoke. I thought they were trying to avoid using the whateverthehell it's called entryways onto deck 0. Turning the ship around would allow them to use the other side.

But still, just a minor slowdown, it any, to dedicate a gangway for each direction. When cruises begin, it is bound to be staged and staggered better than in the past and not the stampede (good luck with that).

10 minutes ago, Lil2Angelic said:

the 12 hour rule has apparently been changed..source link below

And, as I've said, the "12 hour rule" would likely never have been challenged, as it is relatively simple in most terminals to split things up so disembarking passengers never enter the spaces of embarking passengers.

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Your argument doesn't make any sense. The virus is already here. Vaccines are already here. So the CDC is concerned American cruisers will start a super spreader event in another country?? That's none of their business to begin with. Starting one here is nearly impossible at this point.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Lil2Angelic said:

the 12 hour rule has apparently been changed..source link below

It has been modified by the language "to the extent practicable".  A minor change.  Now we can all argue about what "reasonable effort" means. 🙄

To the extent practicable means to the extent feasible or capable of being done or carried out with reasonable effort.

image.png

image.png

1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

Good point. If people are going to ignore simple instructions and allow the disease to come in wave after wave, variants and all, why bother? Well, it beats wearing tin foil hats.

The Vaccines will allow us to go back to "Normal?" lives if we all supplement them with continuing to wear our masks and following the Experts guidelines.

It's Simple - It's Adult - It's Called Follow The Rules!!!! 

• Like 3

NY just changed their traveler's rules for those entering NY domestically OR internationally.  No more negative test or quarantine needed, though it is recommended.   I am not sure if this is a good thing or bad thing.  This may bring cruising back to NY when cruising resumes.

https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/covid-19-travel-advisory

Edited by pe4all

12 minutes ago, pe4all said:

NY just changed their traveler's rules for those entering NY domestically OR internationally.  No more negative test or quarantine needed, though it is recommended.   I am not sure if this is a good thing or bad thing.  This may bring cruising back to NY when cruising resumes.

https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/covid-19-travel-advisory

We are taking too many chances with lives and preserving them. Are we really sure that these types of "counter mandates" are wise? Folks we still have to be overly safe in this World. We can't allow ourselves to be prematurely "assured" that the vaccines will be a cure all.   

8 hours ago, cruisegirl said:

Thanks. That is helpful. I couldn’t figure out how turning the ship around would help. 

There may be new charges to disconnect the ship once docked then to reconnect after the turn around. That is part of the taxes, fuel and port fees that we pay. As you know captain's will wait for "Pier Runners" for a finite amount of time. But once disconnected from the port they will not come back because they are charged the same exact fees they paid from the original docking.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, florida eagle said:

There may be new charges to disconnect the ship once docked then to reconnect after the turn around. That is part of the taxes, fuel and port fees that we pay. As you know captain's will wait for "Pier Runners" for a finite amount of time. But once disconnected from the port they will not come back because they are charged the same exact fees they paid from the original docking.

No, they won't be charged full wharfage, etc.  They will have to pay additional hours for line handlers, and perhaps the standby tugs, if required by the port, and maybe additional hours at the dock.  The real reason against this is that most slips are not wide enough for a cruise ship to turn around in, so the ship would have to move out to the turning basin, turn around, and come back into the slip.

53 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

No, they won't be charged full wharfage, etc.  They will have to pay additional hours for line handlers, and perhaps the standby tugs, if required by the port, and maybe additional hours at the dock.  The real reason against this is that most slips are not wide enough for a cruise ship to turn around in, so the ship would have to move out to the turning basin, turn around, and come back into the slip.

I read what I typed once on these forums some time ago. But if you are right then I stand corrected.

On 4/12/2021 at 9:05 AM, chengkp75 said:

well with mandatory embarkation and debarkation covid testing and potentially vaccine requirements, wouldn't that virtually decrease that risk to very very low levels? 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Julienatul said:

well with mandatory embarkation and debarkation covid testing and potentially vaccine requirements, wouldn't that virtually decrease that risk to very very low levels? 

I'm not an epidemiologist, so I wouldn't know.  But they are.

12 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

I'm not an epidemiologist, so I wouldn't know.  But they are.

😉  Can't wait until the day we can go back to reading your responses regarding extension cords and surge suppressors. 👏

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

😉  Can't wait until the day we can go back to reading your responses regarding extension cords and surge suppressors. 👏

4 minutes ago, stellarose said:

aw. conversations of extension cords. the time will come. 

I've decided that I'm going to fully "get off the grid" when I cruise next, and I'm bringing a dozen solar panels to set up on the top-most deck with UPS battery banks to charge during the day, so at night I can plug in my laptops and phones to recharge while I sleep.  That should be safe, right?  I'll be completely not using ship electrical power!  And it will hardly inconvenience anyone else.

😁

• Haha 2