Russia Cancelled - Viking Homelands

So as the dust settles on this day (6 Apr), Viking has announced they are not going to Russia this year.  I chatted with a My Viking Journey agent about our Aug 31 Homelands cruise which has a 2 night port call in Saint Petersburg, Russia.  They said as yet, the cruise has not  been cancelled but nothing more.  I REALLY hope there is some kind of itinerary adjustment and the cruise still goes. I was looking forward to St. Pete but...

I chatted with a well informed travel agent.  The Russia cruises were cancelled because of the uncertainty of receiving the required visas for the river trips.  Saint Petersburg does not require a visa if you tour with a recognized guide, so the visa is not a problem and the port visit should not be cancelled for that reason.

9 hours ago, dwlmg said:

I chatted with a well informed travel agent.  The Russia cruises were cancelled because of the uncertainty of receiving the required visas for the river trips.  Saint Petersburg does not require a visa if you tour with a recognized guide, so the visa is not a problem and the port visit should not be cancelled for that reason.

It might be more than that. All Ukraine cruises were also cancelled - and no Visa is required there. At some point, I’ll try to find out from my Viking agent what’s going on.

The last time I saw a map of Covid-19 activity, Russia was doing OK, compared to its neighbors.

Poland and Ukraine have significant outbreaks, the independent Baltic states have outbreaks.

But, the political situation is still unsettled