Eurodam makes the start with 7-night cruises out of Piraeus, Athens this summer!

9 minutes ago, bajakiter said:

Turkey would be nice but here in BC (Canada) we are being asked to not even leave our neighborhoods.

Every time we think things are improving, they seem to go in the opposite direction.

Patiently waiting.....still.

Oh my, that is fierce, being asked not to leave your neighborhood.   In Israel, not so long ago, they were restricted even more than that.

We hope things will soon improve big time for you, and stay that way.

In Greece as well as Turkey they are facing severe restrictions as well.

• Like 1

Yes, BC used to be the province others envied as far as covid cases. Now we are on the other end of things. This from our Provincial  Health officer;

With a record number of COVID-19 patients in intensive care and the average daily case count soaring, the provincial health officer pleaded Monday with British Columbians to not leave their neighbourhoods.

Still thinking about booking a cruise for next spring but no guarantee it will happen.

8 hours ago, bajakiter said:

Yes, BC used to be the province others envied as far as covid cases. Now we are on the other end of things. This from our Provincial  Health officer;

With a record number of COVID-19 patients in intensive care and the average daily case count soaring, the provincial health officer pleaded Monday with British Columbians to not leave their neighbourhoods.

Still thinking about booking a cruise for next spring but no guarantee it will happen.

I know Canada is far different geographically than the US but I am surprised at how slow the vaccine delivery has been in Canada.  It would seem by now the cities, at least, would be heavily vaccinated.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mary229 said:

I know Canada is far different geographically than the US but I am surprised at how slow the vaccine delivery has been in Canada.  It would seem by now the cities, at least, would be heavily vaccinated.

Canada is a big country and there are communities up north without many hospitals that are hard to get to that are susceptible due to the affects of covid on indigenous people and the issues with the remote communities so emphasis was put on those areas as well as LTC, etc at the beginning.

Geographically there are many places which are not easy to get to that cannot get to beg centres with all the covid protocols in place.

things are picking up but sadly, since we did not manufacture vaccine when covid hit Canada was susceptible to what they could import.  

• Like 3

13 hours ago, bajakiter said:

Very sorry to hear your Country is not doing well!  Another Canadian (IIRC from Ontario) posted yesterday on another Thread that she still hasn't received the Vaccine or is scheduled.  😢  How are the Vaccinations going in your Area with getting Appointments?

On 4/7/2021 at 8:26 AM, SummmerInKefalonia said:

Today it was Eurodam's turn to be registered in the official schedule of Piraeus, Athens port.

7-night cruises from the 23rd of July until the 29th of October 2021.

I did learn that Holland America is back in business as of July 1srm 2021

16 minutes ago, Himself said:

I did learn that Holland America is back in business as of July 1srm 2021

Does that mean the Alaska problem has been negotiated/solved?  We have our July10 cruise, which we don't want to have to rebook again (but are prepared to!)

I believe Canada is approx 15% vaccinated, the same as the EU. We are going back into lockdowns due to the variants taking over in some provinces. I do wonder if the EU will be the same and HAL will cancel their summer cruises in Europe. HAL’s last update was March 16th when they cancelled cruises through June.

Here are Canada's vaccine numbers through Sunday,  No where close to 15% fully vaccinated - which is the number that really counts.  No manufacturing of vaccine in country and poor supply chain.  

Doses given
Fully vaccinated
  % of population fully vaccinated
8.33M
+335K
+335,000
+18,394
+18,394
      2.2%

4 hours ago, kazu said:

things are picking up but sadly, since we did not manufacture vaccine when covid hit Canada was susceptible to what they could import.  

The conditions in Ontario sound grim.  The lack of manufacturer's in Canada that could produce the vaccine may be your country's main issue.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

The conditions in Ontario sound grim.  The lack of manufacturer's in Canada that could produce the vaccine may be your country's main issue.  

Lack of manufacture is our main issue and honestly, distribution all across Canada is to every place is not easy.  But, it’s not just Ontario...

Ontario, Quebec, Alberta  now BC.  

It’s not pretty in any of them.

21 minutes ago, Domer81mpc said:

Here are Canada's vaccine numbers through Sunday,  No where close to 15% fully vaccinated - which is the number that really counts.  No manufacturing of vaccine in country and poor supply chain.  

Doses given
Fully vaccinated
  % of population fully vaccinated
8.33M
+335K
+335,000
+18,394
+18,394
      2.2%

Canada is not aiming for fully vaccinating right now (whether I agree or disagree with the strategy).  

That statistic is a bit misleading as Canada’s goal is to get a jab in everyone’s arm first to provide some immunity and then do the 2nd one.  So, whiile your fully vaccinated percentage is correct, there is a much higher percentage with the first jab in their arm.

I believe most are at 10% or more  -   , if you are looking for fully vaccinated numbers, you will have a wait and then it will skyrocket.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

It is.  And the numbers are no longer just grim in Ontario - Quebec, BC, Alberta to name a few are in deep trouble.

It’s all depressing when you try to do what you should,  

2 minutes ago, kazu said:

Canada is not aiming for fully vaccinating right now

A strategy with which I disagree.  But, with a scarcity of vaccine..what else might be done.

This contrasts with a visit to the CVS store this afternoon where I received both of my Pfizer vaccine doses.  No waiting; a woman entered the store and went to the check-in desk as I entered.  Two technicians waiting for patients.  When I left the store after a few minutes, no one was waiting for a vaccination.

There's something wrong with this scenario.  

1 minute ago, rkacruiser said:

A strategy with which I disagree.  But, with a scarcity of vaccine..what else might be done.

This contrasts with a visit to the CVS store this afternoon where I received both of my Pfizer vaccine doses.  No waiting; a woman entered the store and went to the check-in desk as I entered.  Two technicians waiting for patients.  When I left the store after a few minutes, no one was waiting for a vaccination.

I think the JNJ news probably caused a momentary drop in demand. I just reported elsewhere that Texas is now up to 49% of all 16 and above (at least one dose).  I think this is going very well in the US    

recent news releases from Spain indicate they will be at 75% by July.   (I am going to Spain next spring is why I report Spain)

who would have thought.  So many naysayers last year including some very prominent and esteemed epidemiologists were saying it would be years before we had a vaccine.  

36 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

As I said I didn’t necessarily agree with it but on the other hand I have heard epidiomiodgists from the U.S saying the same thing.

Myself, I prefer the to follow the protocol but it is what it is.

as to vaccinations here?  Everything by appointment. No walk ins permitted.  We do covid protocols and I can tell you here, they are fully booked.  

I totally and sadly agree with you.  - there is something very wrong with a scenario where many don’t want it and the technicians are waiting and other places where people are anxiously waiting who have played ball for many months. .

• Like 4

Alberta is going to start walkins.   They also have some waste lists if there is vaccine left at the end of the day that have helped some.   

The  Canadian stats I saw showed about 15% or higher vaccinated, but that probably is just first shot for most.   The Yukon and the North were at around 45%.  

Edited by bennybear

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Lack of manufacture is our main issue and honestly, distribution all across Canada is to every place is not easy.  But, it’s not just Ontario...

Ontario, Quebec, Alberta  now BC.  

It’s not pretty in any of them.

Canada is not aiming for fully vaccinating right now (whether I agree or disagree with the strategy).  

That statistic is a bit misleading as Canada’s goal is to get a jab in everyone’s arm first to provide some immunity and then do the 2nd one.  So, whiile your fully vaccinated percentage is correct, there is a much higher percentage with the first jab in their arm.

I believe most are at 10% or more  -   , if you are looking for fully vaccinated numbers, you will have a wait and then it will skyrocket.

I tend to agree with the strategy, 8.6 million have had their first dose, out of a population of approx 38 million that is over 20% of people with a good level of protection. The 2% figure is irrelevant in my book.

Hard to tell.   We had our Pfizer in shots in Calgary three weeks ago.  Daughter and son in law both get their Pfizer shots in Ft. MacMurray on Friday.  Son in Toronto gets his shot, probably AZ, in Toronto mid next week.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

We are having some serious thread drift......

I know -- I keep thinking there is some new information on the potential HAL sailings out of Athens. Then I click and find nothing related to the topic. 

Could we please keep this thread for discussion on future Med sailings? 

2 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I know -- I keep thinking there is some new information on the potential HAL sailings out of Athens. Then I click and find nothing related to the topic. 

Could we please keep this thread for discussion on future Med sailings? 

Best I can tell, the entire topic is a pig in a poke.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

Best I can tell, the entire topic is a pig in a poke.

Some of us are grasping at straws.  Thread drift because of this pandemic is not a bad thing, in my opinion.  It's a beneficial outlet for the frustrations, the worries, the fears that many of us have that are pandemic caused.  

• Like 1

Their covid numbers, although high, are starting to go down a little in the past few days.    Let's hope this continues.   Who can predict where this covid business will go over the next six months???? 

One thing for certain, watch the actual  covid numbers and the covid  trend numbers  instead of listening to the  rhetoric.  The numbers will tell the story.

Edited by iancal