Airlines flying between Miami to Nassau

We are sailing on August 7 for two weeks.  Never having flown into Nassau, I am unfamiliar with airlines flying between Miami and Nassau.  I see that Bahamas Air flies there.  What is that airline like?  It looks like AA and Delta might fly there but those flights are not available right now.  I would welcome your input since this is a total new experience for us.

Mom C

AFAIK only AA fly's direct between MIA and Nassau.

But other airlines have (had) direct flights from other east coast cities. Southwest fly's from Newark, Delta from Atl and JFK, Jet Blue from Boston and FLL. United from Newark. And there are others.

J

From MIA, you have AA and a few flights a week on Bahamasair.

From FLL, you have JetBlue (B6), Bahamasair and Silver.

Finally, I'm not sure why you are not finding flights for August.  You can get excellent airline options at:

matrix.itasoftware.com

Bahamasair flies a mixture of 737s and ATRs.

And if you are planning to arrive on that day, UA has a Saturday nonstop from DEN that arrives in Nassau around 4pm.  Not sure if that is enough time to board.  Otherwise, you can take UA through IAH, DL through ATL or AA through CLT, DFW or MIA.

On 4/7/2021 at 11:11 PM, FlyerTalker said:

From MIA, you have AA and a few flights a week on Bahamasair.

From FLL, you have JetBlue (B6), Bahamasair and Silver.

Finally, I'm not sure why you are not finding flights for August.  You can get excellent airline options at:

matrix.itasoftware.com

Bahamasair flies a mixture of 737s and ATRs.

And if you are planning to arrive on that day, UA has a Saturday nonstop from DEN that arrives in Nassau around 4pm.  Not sure if that is enough time to board.  Otherwise, you can take UA through IAH, DL through ATL or AA through CLT, DFW or MIA.

Hello.  Don’t hold me to it and this and I’d check with Crystal before believing me 🙂 but I was told last week, by Crystals air department, that we have to be onboard by 2 pm.  This was in relation to our August 7 cruise Nassau r/t.

Just throwing my 2 cents worth in.

3 hours ago, suspaul said:

Hello.  Don’t hold me to it and this and I’d check with Crystal before believing me 🙂 but I was told last week, by Crystals air department, that we have to be onboard by 2 pm.  This was in relation to our August 7 cruise Nassau r/t.

Who arrives the same day anymore??  Insane IMO.  Stuff happens.

3 hours ago, suspaul said:

And this is why never fly in the day of the cruise

Keith

We are flying into Miami a couple of days before the cruise, then will fly over on August 6 for a day before the cruise.  American Airlines had some great times for us.  Flying from Colorado which is a 5 hour flight, we decided to do it in two days.  My husband is 88 so we have the time to make it easier on ourselves.  We avoid the layover and having to go through customs all in one day.

Mom C

2 hours ago, bitob said:

Who arrives the same day anymore??  Insane IMO.  Stuff happens.

I can’t recall ever flying in on the same day of the cruise, but a significant percentage of cruisers do fly on the same of the cruise without giving it a second thought. I’d even dare to say that there are more cruisers flying in on the day of the cruise than those flying in a day or more before the cruise.

1 hour ago, Tapi said:

I can’t recall ever flying in on the same day of the cruise, but a significant percentage of cruisers do fly on the same of the cruise without giving it a second thought. I’d even dare to say that there are more cruisers flying in on the day of the cruise than those flying in a day or more before the cruise.

I do not know a single person who cruises who does that.  it is nuts IMO.  All you have to do is hear one horror story about missing the ship . . . . ..

To each his own insanity

1 minute ago, bitob said:

I do not know a single person who cruises who does that.  it is nuts IMO.  All you have to do is hear one horror story about missing the ship . . . . ..

To each his own insanity

I agree that it’s insanity. I’m in the airline industry and I can confirm that flights are filled with cruisers on ships departing the same day, some cutting it as close as 2 hours before scheduled sail away.

I always remember a senior couple flying from La Guardia to Orlando to sail on Disney Magic’s transatlantic crossing from Port Canaveral. They were on a flight landing in Orlando at 1:00pm but the flight ended being delayed over 3 hours. They actually broke down crying when they realized that they were not going to make it. Broke my heart, but at the same time I kept thinking that they should’ve known better. 

11 hours ago, suspaul said:

That makes no sense since the ship doesn't leave until 7 PM. Are you sure they didn't mean that you couldn't board until 2 PM which is more likely because they have to clean the rooms?

Could it be you need to present yourself at the terminal by 2:00pm (and not onboard)?

The old rules had them starting to process the final manifest and clearance at 5:00pm to sail by 7:00.  With all the new processing requirements, documentation that they need to file with the Bahamas and testing they need to do, three hours isn’t THAT long.  

Not that it’s going to take three hours, but you would need to ensure that you build in enough time to process everyone, at least until you get some history under your belt.  If 500 of the 900 people show up at 4:00, you’d have a real problem.

Not saying the 2:00 time is right, but it sounds realistic to me...

Vince

10 hours ago, Tapi said:

I haven't taken a poll on this but my take is seasoned travelers do not fly in the day of the cruise as well as those who have leaned from others.

For example, some on this board many years ago used to mention flying in the day of the cruise.  However, for some they changed their view hearing stories from some of us and for others they changed their view based on their own experience.  They might not have missed the ship but in some instances came close.

So my take is many who fly in the day of a cruise are fairly new to cruising or to travel along with some who just say "well I've never had a problem before".

I would never fly in the day of the cruise and even in our early days of cruising i didn't. Why?  Because I flew every week to two weeks for business and I saw all of the things which could go wrong.

Anyway, I do think those of us who have the experience when we hear whether on board the ship or on land or on a forum on CC of people discussing flying in the day of the cruise this is one of those times we can remind them of Murphy's Law and why it would be advisable to fly in one or more days before the cruise.

Keith

16 hours ago, suspaul said:

Thank you for sharing this and for your disclaimer.

It's is possible this is correct because of the COVID-19 testing or that the air department said this to pad time to arrive and as you note you are only sharing what you were told.

From what I have read they will stagger arrivals for these cruises due to COVID-19 unlike in the past.  The cruise documents will detail what time each person should arrive and I suspect if there is a required no later time there will be a note with the final documents about this.

Thank you for sharing with everyone what you were told.

Keith

On 4/10/2021 at 5:07 PM, bitob said:

I do not know a single person who cruises who does that. 

I do.

A family member, who has decades of cruising experience refused to fly in early to Barcelona.

Why ? "There's not much to see there, and I don't want to sit around a hotel all day."🙄

Next: a friend of  friend who refuses to fly in the day before a cruise because she'll have to pay the dog sitter for an extra day. Yes, I have explained that if she misses the ship,  she will have added expenses (hotel and flight) in traveling to the first port to join the ship, which may take a few days depending on the itinerary.   She still won't do it.   

8 hours ago, Boatdrill said:

I do.

A family member, who has decades of cruising experience refused to fly in early to Barcelona.

Why ? "There's not much to see there, and I don't want to sit around a hotel all day."🙄

Nothing much to see in Barcelona? Was your friend refering to Barcelona, Spain? Having been several times there, I always try to go at least three days before. I enjoy Barcelona and the wonderful Gaudi creations. And the food...😋. Only if I my passing through Barcelona on a ship, I might not disembark.   I enjoy the lazy day on the ship when most of the people are gone ☺️
Ivi

Posted (edited)

I thought Crystal was planning on a staggered boarding.

I think 2pm is more likely the start, especially if they do an extended cleaning between cruises.

With Royal also now departing on Saturday, I would think flights might become an issue.  But checking Jet Blue from FLL -- the flights seem wide open.

Edited by PaulMCO
10 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

The one that gets me is that so many people are worried about losing luggage, yet seem unconcerned about themselves missing the ship.

We stopped flying with luggage because of all our connections.

We ship luggage ahead to our pre-cruise hotel to make sure we have it when we board the ship.  I have seen too many sad stories onboard about folks who do not have luggage --a nightmare I do not wish to experience.

90+% of "lost luggage" is preventable.  I had previously posted this in another forum but here it goes again:

Missing luggage is usually due to a few easily managed conditions.

1) Folks check in too close to departure, and the luggage never gets put on the aircraft at initial departure

2) Baggage mis-connects at the transfer point because

a)  Inbound flight is delayed, and/or

b)  It was a tight connection to start with

3) Baggage was incorrectly tagged at the start

4) Baggage tags are ripped from the luggage, so they have to be manually processed to determine correct itinerary.

All these can be mitigated.  Get to the airport in plenty of time to start with.  Have sufficient time for your connections (aka don't be worried about spending time in airports on a connect).  Check the tags as they are being placed on the luggage.  Be sure you have reasonably sturdy luggage so the handles with the tags will stay on the bag.  And you have placed an itinerary sheet in your bag so it can be easily processed if misplaced.

As for meeting many people with "lost luggage" -- folks without their luggage tend to be loudly complaining about the airline, so they appear to be more frequent than is the case.  Also, do you know what the actual reason for the missing bag was?

The only times I've had delayed baggage in the last 20 years (never any that went completely missing) were when: 1) a connection was badly shortened by my incoming flight running very late and I barely made the flight running through the airport.  In fact, they re-opened the cabin door to let me on.  2) When a forced reroute due to operational cancellation had the airline mistagging one of my bags.  I was glad they could even reroute myself, so the bag was a relatively small issue.

Further information:  Delayed baggage rates in the USA have been running at a rate of less than FIVE bags per 1000 bags enplaned.  And that number also includes damaged bags as well as delayed and truly "missing".

Reminds me of something else with a 99.5+% survival rate.

1 hour ago, FlyerTalker said:

Further information:  Delayed baggage rates in the USA have been running at a rate of less than FIVE bags per 1000 bags enplaned.  And that number also includes damaged bags as well as delayed and truly "missing".

Reminds me of something else with a 99.5+% survival rate.

But sometimes no matter what you do.....

Had clients several years ago on a honeymoon cruise out of BCN., They had three bags, his, hers and theirs. His and theirs arrived, but hers was nowhere to be found. Finally turned up three months later, with not a tag or ID (which was securely fastened) on it, in that well known cruise destination, Warsaw, Poland!! The airline in question had no explanation for how it got there!🤨

One of the things I appreciate is those airlines who give you a status on your luggage via their app.

Over the past few years we had two issues; one is that the luggage went on another plane because we were hours before takeoff and I saw that the app said luggage loaded and it was loaded on an earlier flight so I was able to find out what to do before I boarded our plane and when we landed I knew where to go.   Another time the luggage didn't make it on the flight even though we checked in hours before but I was able to call from the flight and knew exactly where it was and what they would do to get it to me.  The benefit of the app was knowing all this and not waiting at the luggage carrousel for luggage which would not show up.

FlyerTalker great information on issues which can cause problems with luggage and good statistics as well.

Keith

The risk may be statistically minimal, but when you fly with lots of connections (as we must), the risk is higher than usual.

Even though I never book a sequence of slights with less than a 2 hour connection, all you need is for the first flight to be delayed for a luggage disaster to occur.

And then there was the unexpected snowstorm in Atlanta one year . . . . .

We love not schlepping the luggage and also knowing that it will be at our destination even before we are.

The hotels are great about holding luggage for arrival.  For us, it is the best and easiest way to travel.

8 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

One of the things I appreciate is those airlines who give you a status on your luggage via their app.

Over the past few years we had two issues; one is that the luggage went on another plane because we were hours before takeoff and I saw that the app said luggage loaded and it was loaded on an earlier flight so I was able to find out what to do before I boarded our plane and when we landed I knew where to go.   Another time the luggage didn't make it on the flight even though we checked in hours before but I was able to call from the flight and knew exactly where it was and what they would do to get it to me.  The benefit of the app was knowing all this and not waiting at the luggage carrousel for luggage which would not show up.

FlyerTalker great information on issues which can cause problems with luggage and good statistics as well.

Keith

Thanks for this information Keith. I have not heard about those applications before. I will check on internet which airlines offer that service. In our case, we always have to have flight connections. I wonder if those applications work not just for the particular airline but for the partners also. That means for example, Star Alliance or One World 🤔

Ivi