Jump to content

Recommended Posts

There is a great informational thread with this and more info:

Specific to your question, it says "Oceanview café will have food behind glass and served by crew members. You will no longer be allowed to self-serve." Just as gerelmx said, of course. I hope the link gives additional info you find useful.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

We've all seen people licking their fingers and then handling the serving spoons on the next dish.  I'm sure that is why Celebrity has decided to have servers behind glass serving the food.  Good move.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Waaaay long over due. Hope the no self serve change at the OC is not temporary. 

So agree, but it was so finger lickin good.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I know I’m going to be way in the minority on this one, but I hope they eventually go back to salad bars at least. I’m particular about what goes on my salad and how it’s arranged and I don’t look forward to trying to explain or ask over the noise of the OVC, the glass and possible language differences.

Yeah, yeah, I know what your thinking, but I always had a survival of the fittest mentality about the buffet - wash hands before and after sanitize in between, not too worried about food and germs. Now the hand rails, elevator leaning rails and bathroom doors - those I worry about, lol!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, cangelmd said:

I know I’m going to be way in the minority on this one, but I hope they eventually go back to salad bars at least. I’m particular about what goes on my salad and how it’s arranged and I don’t look forward to trying to explain or ask over the noise of the OVC, the glass and possible language differences.

Yeah, yeah, I know what your thinking, but I always had a survival of the fittest mentality about the buffet - wash hands before and after sanitize in between, not too worried about food and germs. Now the hand rails, elevator leaning rails and bathroom doors - those I worry about, lol!

I would grab 3 plates, ask the server to place your lettuce of choice on one, and on the other plate the cukes, tomatos, olives, or any other veggies, crumbled cheese etc.  When you get to your table use the 3rd plate to arrange it the way you like.  I generally do not do buffets but I also at home when I make a salad get made fun of for the way I like it presented prior to eating.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, cangelmd said:

I know I’m going to be way in the minority on this one, but I hope they eventually go back to salad bars at least. I’m particular about what goes on my salad and how it’s arranged and I don’t look forward to trying to explain or ask over the noise of the OVC, the glass and possible language differences.

Yeah, yeah, I know what your thinking, but I always had a survival of the fittest mentality about the buffet - wash hands before and after sanitize in between, not too worried about food and germs. Now the hand rails, elevator leaning rails and bathroom doors - those I worry about, lol!

Not us and we aren't frequent buffet diners. Have you ever cruised with RC? Works great in the MDR for lunch on sea days when they do their Tutti salad bar. 

 

P.S...our opinion on this isn't only due to CV-19. 

Edited by davekathy
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, cangelmd said:

I know I’m going to be way in the minority on this one, but I hope they eventually go back to salad bars at least. I’m particular about what goes on my salad and how it’s arranged and I don’t look forward to trying to explain or ask over the noise of the OVC, the glass and possible language differences.

Yeah, yeah, I know what your thinking, but I always had a survival of the fittest mentality about the buffet - wash hands before and after sanitize in between, not too worried about food and germs. Now the hand rails, elevator leaning rails and bathroom doors - those I worry about, lol!

I see your point, and I am picky about who does what with my food. I also have trouble explaining what I want, and have trouble hearing when there's background noise. I often ask DW to conduct such conversations. But this past year has been a lot of like to have vs need to have, and I am very much leaning in the "need to have" direction. Some are suggesting we will never get back to self-serve on ships and I can live with that. I may have to sacrifice salads and subsist on pizza.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, KWW88 said:

I would grab 3 plates, ask the server to place your lettuce of choice on one, and on the other plate the cukes, tomatos, olives, or any other veggies, crumbled cheese etc.  When you get to your table use the 3rd plate to arrange it the way you like.  I generally do not do buffets but I also at home when I make a salad get made fun of for the way I like it presented prior to eating.  

I hear you, but my patience would run out about plate #2!

5 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Not us and we aren't frequent buffet diners. Have you ever cruised with RC? Works great in the MDR for lunch on sea days when they do their Tutti salad bar. 

 

P.S...our opinion on this isn't only due to CV-19. 

ive sailed on RCL, but never done MDR lunch. I would just as soon do sit down lunch if the buffet stays no self service because lines will be quite long. ?maybe eventually there will be a hybrid system like the Aqua Spa cafe, where plates are pre-arranged and you pick them up? What about requiring a glove for the tongs?

6 minutes ago, HskrCrsr said:

I see your point, and I am picky about who does what with my food. I also have trouble explaining what I want, and have trouble hearing when there's background noise. I often ask DW to conduct such conversations. But this past year has been a lot of like to have vs need to have, and I am very much leaning in the "need to have" direction. Some are suggesting we will never get back to self-serve on ships and I can live with that. I may have to sacrifice salads and subsist on pizza.

 I like your way of thinking! That’s what I often have with my salad.  Love the pizzas made by the young, first gig folks who have never had a pizza and are trying to use up ingredients on the last sea day - I’ve seen some doozies.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I love when RCI does the Tutti salad at lunch in the MDR.

I also enjoy my buffet in RCI's WJ or  X's Oceanview Cafe.

After many years of cruising it's where we now prefer to have dinner.

Having it served by the wait staff is no problem at all.

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, cangelmd said:

I know I’m going to be way in the minority on this one, but I hope they eventually go back to salad bars at least. I’m particular about what goes on my salad and how it’s arranged and I don’t look forward to trying to explain or ask over the noise of the OVC, the glass and possible language differences.

Yeah, yeah, I know what your thinking, but I always had a survival of the fittest mentality about the buffet - wash hands before and after sanitize in between, not too worried about food and germs. Now the hand rails, elevator leaning rails and bathroom doors - those I worry about, lol!

The salad all goes to the same place. 🙂

 

That said, it’s never really concerned me either, eat more dirt, get sick less.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, cangelmd said:

maybe eventually there will be a hybrid system like the Aqua Spa cafe, where plates are pre-arranged and you pick them up?

Some of the better Vegas buffets (Wicked Spoon at Cosmopolitan, Bacchanal at Caesars) went primarily to single serve dishes a while back.

 

Instead of picking up a spoon or tongs and ladling out a serving of food, food is pre-plated into small portions that you grab and put onto your plate. You'll get a little basket of fish and chips, a small dish of meatballs, etc. It's much MUCH better than the steam tray experience, is much more sanitary, and probably cuts down on food waste for the buffets too.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Same protocol as when Norovirus is on board.  No self-serve anywhere.  By doing this across all lines, Noro most likely will be eliminated.  Another plus IMHO.  🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, davekathy said:

Waaaay long over due. Hope the no self serve change at the OC is not temporary. 

Hal would do that sometimes , but not all the time, hopefully all the lines will do this in the future.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, micheleg said:

Same protocol as when Norovirus is on board.  No self-serve anywhere.  By doing this across all lines, Noro most likely will be eliminated.  Another plus IMHO.  🙂

Absolutely.  Never want to have Noro again.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, cangelmd said:

...ive sailed on RCL, but never done MDR lunch. I would just as soon do sit down lunch if the buffet stays no self service because lines will be quite long. ?maybe eventually there will be a hybrid system like the Aqua Spa cafe, where plates are pre-arranged and you pick them up? What about requiring a glove for the tongs?

 

When we eat lunch (not everyday) we like the MDR as you have the option of ordering from the menu, the tutti salad bar or both. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, HskrCrsr said:

I see your point, and I am picky about who does what with my food. I also have trouble explaining what I want, and have trouble hearing when there's background noise.

Will be even worse when we're also wearing masks. I usually resort to pointing!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Holland America has been doing this for YEARS already.  Even the desserts that are "self serve" are plated in single portions and you take the cup/plate or whatever it is on.  The "bacon hounds" griped endlessly about this but eventually most passengers came to accept the changes on HAL as improvements to the "persons of entitlement" who casually tossed the tongs or serving spoon  into the middle of the lettuce, lasagna or whatever.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, KWW88 said:

I would grab 3 plates, ask the server to place your lettuce of choice on one, and on the other plate the cukes, tomatos, olives, or any other veggies, crumbled cheese etc.  When you get to your table use the 3rd plate to arrange it the way you like.  I generally do not do buffets but I also at home when I make a salad get made fun of for the way I like it presented prior to eating.  

Sorry but if this is implemented like on HAL where they have been doing service by the staff for years, YOU won't be "grabbing" ANY plates, they will provide them from behind the glass; but THREE would be accomodated if that is what you want I would imagine

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OBX-Cruisers said:

Sorry but if this is implemented like on HAL where they have been doing service by the staff for years, YOU won't be "grabbing" ANY plates, they will provide them from behind the glass; but THREE would be accomodated if that is what you want I would imagine

I won't be provided ANY plates at the buffet, served to me or not, a buffet is the LAST place I would ever eat.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with Barbara Muckermann, CMO Silversea Cruises
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...