LAX - PPT Flights

gdlamberth

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away when we used to fly from LAX to PPT to cruise FP we have flown ATN and had very good experiences.  Has anyone flown the Air France/Delta non-stops LAX -PPT; and, if so, how was it?  The only reason I'm considering the AF flight is that it is a bit cheaper and it arrives in PPT at 0610 the day our ship boards at 1300 and sails at 2300.  That gives us time for our adult kids (French Polynesian first timers) to see the Market and such in Papeete and then get on the ship.  The ATN flight costs more and gets in at 2230 the night before necessitating an overnight hotel.  Also, the last time we flew ATN they were flying Airbus 330s with a 2-4-2 configurations in Economy and now they are flying 787-9s with a 3-3-3 configuration in economy (seats have the same width and pitch).  Anyway fishing around for opinions regarding the two carriers.  

Thanks,

Greg

34 minutes ago, gdlamberth said:

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away when we used to fly from LAX to PPT to cruise FP we have flown ATN and had very good experiences.  Has anyone flown the Air France/Delta non-stops LAX -PPT; and, if so, how was it?  The only reason I'm considering the AF flight is that it is a bit cheaper and it arrives in PPT at 0610 the day our ship boards at 1300 and sails at 2300.  That gives us time for our adult kids (French Polynesian first timers) to see the Market and such in Papeete and then get on the ship.  The ATN flight costs more and gets in at 2230 the night before necessitating an overnight hotel.  Also, the last time we flew ATN they were flying Airbus 330s with a 2-4-2 configurations in Economy and now they are flying 787-9s with a 3-3-3 configuration in economy (seats have the same width and pitch).  Anyway fishing around for opinions regarding the two carriers.  

Thanks,

Greg

AF is still using the 777 which doesn't have as good as a circulation system as the 787-9 that ATN is now using. The windows are much larger on the 787-9

and  .... I'm not a fan of getting up at 5 am to head to the FAAA airport to catch the AF flight on the return.

Yes a few bucks less and yes I've taken it but I prefer the 787-9.

I did purchase some ATN tickets this week and got the promo fare of around $750 ... a real bargain as it wasn't to long ago that the norm was around $1500 for economy. I did do the bulkhead upgrade so it ended up being around $900 R/T

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna
  • Thanks 1

Greg-

Have you ever used Fare Suisse as a place to overnight? Great little B&B, nothing fancy but clean and comfy. They'll pick you up at the airport anytime and drop you off at the ship next day. $100/nite per room. Could make taking the ATN flight ultimately less expensive and allow you to feel refreshed the day you board.

2 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

Greg-

Have you ever used Fare Suisse as a place to overnight? Great little B&B, nothing fancy but clean and comfy. They'll pick you up at the airport anytime and drop you off at the ship next day. $100/nite per room. Could make taking the ATN flight ultimately less expensive and allow you to feel refreshed the day you board.

Yes we have, last two trips to FP.  Agree a really nice place and SOOOO convenient.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

I did purchase some ATN tickets this week and got the promo fare of around $750 ... a real bargain as it wasn't to long ago that the norm was around $1500 for economy. I did do the bulkhead upgrade so it ended up being around $900 R/T

Edited 22 hours ago by Tahitianbigkahuna

How does seat selection work when booking direct with ATN?  When I go on line it looks like I have to confirm a reservation and then call back for a seat assignment.  Where can you see the upcharge for bulkhead seats.  In your numerous trips how full are the ATN flights normally?

Thanks,

Greg

When you make your booking there is an option after you've picked your flights but prior to paying for you for seating. There you will be able to pick your seats and see the upgrade pricing. If you've already booked you need to call ATN and talk to a reservation person to pick your seats. You can open up a layout from their web page under "flying with us". Pick "Our Fleet Boeing 787-9". Go to the bottom and open the "cabin map zoom". 

https://www.airtahitinui.com/sites/default/files/docs/cabine_map.pdf

Economy upgrades are between $30 - $80 per person each way. Bulkheads are $80.

As far as how full we are in new territory with covid so I don't want to even speculate. 

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, USNA 72 said:

So,TBK, have you got a sense of the on time performance of the 3 West Coast -PPT (UA: SFO-PPT, ATN: LAX-PPT, & AF: LAX-PPT) flight options?  I've heard the AF is sometimes 10-12 hours late.

I've taken AF twice, both times they were on-time. The only airline I was ever late on heading to FP was in 1999 on Corsair. The plane made contact with another plane on the tarmac @ LAX and we were delayed a day for repairs but they put us all up at a hotel including meals. 

However  ... I always tell people to go early, a day or two just to be safe and to get on island time. Never self book your own flight arriving a few hours prior to embarkation. If the cruise line books you that way don't worry, the ship isn't leaving before the flight arrives and all can get on-board. 

• Thanks 1

Usually under flight details you can see a flight's on-time performance. Sometimes it's listed per se, like on UA, or sometimes you have to hover over the flight number to find it. But unfortunately since no one has been flying to PPT recently, on-time performance isn't relayed. Hopefully by mid-summer it should be available again. I've flown ATN now eight times and it's never been late- early yes 🙂

• Thanks 1