Bermuda Escape Cruises - insights, information, and more just on Bermuda

CCWineLover

2 hours ago, B_A_H said:

That's weird.  My flight from Bermuda to Atlanta on 7/20 is still in place.  Your flight to Bermuda is (or should have been) the turn around for my flight.  So either your flight being canceled was a mistake or I'm going to be getting some bad news soon. 

Also odd is my 7/13 flight (the Tuesday before yours) is still intact as is the same non-stop flight to Bermuda on 7/27.  But the flight to Bermuda on Tuesday, July 6, is also showing canceled but the return it would fly from Bermuda to Atlanta still shows operating.  

So on 7/6 and 7/20 Delta has one plane flying to Bermuda (JFK<>BDA) and two flying back (BDA<>JFK + BDA<>ATL) when none of their flights overnight there.  

Something's got to give.  

My guess is Viking air moved them to United.  

6 hours ago, Britcnm said:

July 20th 584 Atlanta to Bermuda. Delta bumped us, so we now they are flying us to Newark the night before and we will fly direct to Bermuda from there

This happen to me for the July 13  flight of Delta 584 Atl to BDA. It was overbooked by 20 people. It is not the biggest plane only holds 135 folks. 

Anyway, Viking Air resolution team rebooked me on United flights  going a day early to EWR , being put up in Marriott hotel at airport  and fly the next day direct to Berumda. I love the times of these  United flights rather that the Delta ones. In fact, I will be in Bermuda  30 minutes before my sister who did not get bumped. The plane was overbooked by Delta. It was not cancelled. I have friend who is flight attendant for Delta and she  look up this flight  and the overbooking. 

I am meeting others who were bumped too and other Viking cruises for a drink in the evening of July 12.

I am fine with going on vacation a day early, and Viking paying for my hotel room.

Cheers

Edited by Azulann

Just now, Azulann said:

This happen to me for the July 13  flight of Delta 584 Atl to BDA. It was overbooked by 20 people. It is not the biggest plane only holds 135 folks. 

Anyway, Viking Air resolution team rebooked me on United flights  going a day early to EWR , being put up in Marriot hotel at ariport  and fly the next day direct to Berumda. I love the times of these  United flight rather that the Delta ones. In fact, I wll be in Bermuda  30 minutes before my sister who did not get bumped. The plane was overbooked by Delta. It was not cancelled. I have friend who is flight attendant for Delta and she  look up this flight  and the overbooking. 

I am meeting others who wwere bumped too and other Viking cruises for a drink in the eveing of July 12. I am fine with going on vacation a day early, and Viking paying for my hotel room.

Cheers

Yes that’s exactly what they are doing for us. it ended up working out better for us too.. hope there are no More changes.

• Like 1

You all were right.  The flight's Delta is removing people from aren't canceled.  I didn't realize a completely full flight literally disappears from their website.  AA and UA show flights that are full but they aren't bookable. 

image.thumb.png.f51a4fa75cfa82e84ac86d4637c23804.png

I fly a lot and am a Diamond with Delta.  Never in all my experience with them have I heard of them arbitrarily taking people with confirmed reservations off a flight that's still operating.  If there were an operational reason, like a downgauge to a smaller aircraft, that's one thing.  But there have been no operational changes to these flights. 

Oversell limits are set based on historical no show rates.  It amazes me that Delta could allow a flight to be oversold by ~30 people.  They don't oversell first and the rest of the plane is 120 seats.  That means the oversell was 25% which is unheard of. Regardless, Atlanta is a hub for Delta and they could have upgauged the flight for one day to overcome the oversell situation that they themselves created. 

They changed my return on 7/20 to 7/18.  I thought at the time it was their automated schedule change system run amok.  Based on this, even with my status, they pulled the same crap on me.  When I called (and held for 5 hours) they did put me back on the flight. 

This is really crappy treatment of their passengers.  Delta's falling apart and I've moved to AA this year because of it. 

For those of you impacted Is the extra night caused by this going to affect your testing plans because it adds a day between your departure and arrival in Bermuda? 

B_A_H

I will get my pre-covid test on Friday  as planned, before flyingout on Monday July 12, still getting into Bermuda on July 13.

I always  prefer to  fly Delta, we are a hub here in MSP, used to be NWA. But not anymore after this bumping of  passengers  for their flight to BDA. 

I was on hold with  Delta for 2 hrs and thought that was bad, when I discovered the change.  Then talked  to Viking Air and i they switched my flights  in 24 hrs.

5 hrs is crazy. 

I know some  of Delta employees and many of them took early retirement or are still not ready to come back full time. Especially with the  crazy passengers who don't follow the rules on the plane, my friend  is waiting till Sept to be back at full schedule.

Edited by Azulann

10 minutes ago, Azulann said:

Back to topic of our Bemuda cruises.

Viking made the pages of Royal Gazette today, May 29

https://www.royalgazette.com/tourism/news/article/20210529/viking-cruises-almost-sold-out/

I saw this link (regarding testing) on the page of the Royal Gazette you brought up.  Would be nice if it were to have an impact...SOON!!

https://www.royalgazette.com/tourism/news/article/20210527/strict-covid-testing-can-be-a-tourist-ʽdeal-breaker-warn-bha/

• Like 2

FYI, here is a partial transcript of a chat this morning with a Viking agent:

• Me: Per the "COVID-19 POLICIES AND PROCEDURES" which apparently apply to our 20 July Bermuda sailing on Viking Orion (booking number XXXXXXX), guests are required to submit proof of vaccination: "A copy of the vaccine confirmation/record card must be received by Viking, no later than 14 days prior to the scheduled sailing date." Please tell me how I can accomplish this required submission, as I have found no means to accomplish this on My Viking Journey.

• Viking: You should receive an email from Viking shortly with the steps as to how to provide vaccination proof for your upcoming cruise!

• Me: "Shortly"? Is that planned as a mass mailing to all Bermuda cruisers at one time, or will it be phased based on departure date?

• Viking: It should be an email to all affected guests. Viking is currently evaluating several third-party medical and technology partners to verify the vaccination status of guests. All guests booked on sailings who have a vaccine requirement will receive relevant instructions to verify their status in advance of their departure.

• Me: Hmmm. Thanks for this information. I would imagine it will be VERY soon, as the deadline for submission for guests on the 15 June cruise is upon us.

That is all...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Azulann said:

Back to topic of our Bemuda cruises.

Viking made the pages of Royal Gazette today, May 29

https://www.royalgazette.com/tourism/news/article/20210529/viking-cruises-almost-sold-out/

Speaking of....just booked a cabin on the July 13 sailing 😉  HOORAY!!

Not only my first cruise since the pandemic but my first experience with Viking. 

Looking forward to both and hoping Bermuda relaxes restrictions enough to allow yours truly a visit to the Swizzle Inn for a pitcher of her much beloved Rum Swizzle paired with whatever daily curry is on offer. 🍸  (yes, it's lunchtime now and I'm hungry)

Ah...fond memories. 😊

• Like 2

3 hours ago, B_A_H said:

You all were right.  The flight's Delta is removing people from aren't canceled.  I didn't realize a completely full flight literally disappears from their website.  AA and UA show flights that are full but they aren't bookable. 

I fly a lot and am a Diamond with Delta.  Never in all my experience with them have I heard of them arbitrarily taking people with confirmed reservations off a flight that's still operating.  If there were an operational reason, like a downgauge to a smaller aircraft, that's one thing.  But there have been no operational changes to these flights. 

Oversell limits are set based on historical no show rates.  It amazes me that Delta could allow a flight to be oversold by ~30 people.  They don't oversell first and the rest of the plane is 120 seats.  That means the oversell was 25% which is unheard of. Regardless, Atlanta is a hub for Delta and they could have upgauged the flight for one day to overcome the oversell situation that they themselves created. 

They changed my return on 7/20 to 7/18.  I thought at the time it was their automated schedule change system run amok.  Based on this, even with my status, they pulled the same crap on me.  When I called (and held for 5 hours) they did put me back on the flight. 

This is really crappy treatment of their passengers.  Delta's falling apart and I've moved to AA this year because of it. 

For those of you impacted Is the extra night caused by this going to affect your testing plans because it adds a day between your departure and arrival in Bermuda? 

From your earlier posts I was very impressed on the depth of your airline knowledge.  Even with your post yesterday, I went to Delta's site to confirm what you have said about flights disappearing.  I myself have been following the inbound flights to BDA from JFK and ATL, probably more than I should.  But I have seen flights disappear and then reappear especially the ATL to BDA.  I just say to myself they disappeared because they are full.  Delta did cancel one to two months ago all roundtrip directs from Columbus OH (CMH to JFK) through August, which effected our return from Bermuda.  

I trust our full plane from ATL to BDA will be filled with happy cruisers.

• Like 1

For those who are interested to know what the application for Bermuda Travel Authorization looks like, see attached PDF file. I filled in dummy information so that I could see if additional information would be required based on my answers.

This form was at https://www.gov.bm/coronavirus-travellers-visitors

Bermuda Travel Authorization Application Page.pdf

• Like 1

Nicely done!  Took a look at your pdf.  Interesting regarding the Health Insurance question.  Wonder what happens if you say yes.   My thought was for those of us who bought trip insurance with medical coverage (necessary for those of us on Medicare going international if we want any coverage at all), perhaps we'd have to say Yes.   But they seem to imply that you agree you have COVID insurance as well.   Confusing to say the least!

image.thumb.png.e8ab003bf75e502677e0dab8ea6061f9.png

1 hour ago, Triptkr said:

If this as been addressed before on this thread, please forgive me:   what's the app called that we're supposed to download prior to sailing?

TIA

Viking Voyager

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CCWineLover said:

Nicely done!  Took a look at your pdf.  Interesting regarding the Health Insurance question.  Wonder what happens if you say yes.   My thought was for those of us who bought trip insurance with medical coverage (necessary for those of us on Medicare going international if we want any coverage at all), perhaps we'd have to say Yes.   But they seem to imply that you agree you have COVID insurance as well.   Confusing to say the least!

image.thumb.png.e8ab003bf75e502677e0dab8ea6061f9.png

We bought trip insurance that included COvid illness and quarantine.  $105 for me and hubbs.  But i have medicare supplemental insurance too that will also cover medical out of country

3 hours ago, What was that? said:

FYI, here is a partial transcript of a chat this morning with a Viking agent:

• Me: Per the "COVID-19 POLICIES AND PROCEDURES" which apparently apply to our 20 July Bermuda sailing on Viking Orion (booking number XXXXXXX), guests are required to submit proof of vaccination: "A copy of the vaccine confirmation/record card must be received by Viking, no later than 14 days prior to the scheduled sailing date." Please tell me how I can accomplish this required submission, as I have found no means to accomplish this on My Viking Journey.

• Viking: You should receive an email from Viking shortly with the steps as to how to provide vaccination proof for your upcoming cruise!

• Me: "Shortly"? Is that planned as a mass mailing to all Bermuda cruisers at one time, or will it be phased based on departure date?

• Viking: It should be an email to all affected guests. Viking is currently evaluating several third-party medical and technology partners to verify the vaccination status of guests. All guests booked on sailings who have a vaccine requirement will receive relevant instructions to verify their status in advance of their departure.

• Me: Hmmm. Thanks for this information. I would imagine it will be VERY soon, as the deadline for submission for guests on the 15 June cruise is upon us.

That is all...

Yea I also saw in the "Health and Safety Program" this:

Health Survey

Your journey begins before you ever leave home, with a digital Health Survey that you will complete on MyVikingJourney.com. Developed by scientific and medical advisors, Viking’s new Health Survey takes only a minute to submit and verifies your wellness prior to travel. Depending on your dates of travel, Viking may require you to submit verification of COVID-19 vaccination status as part of the digital Health Survey.

It further sates you will get a link to the health survey about a week prior to embarkation.  Depending on what document you read, you will find different instructions.  It's drives me nuts ( being the OCD person I am...)

6 hours ago, B_A_H said:

I just checked our return on Delta.  They "changed our our connecting flight to one several hours later.  Reason was because 2.5 hours on the original one wans't long enough and we would miss our connecting flight??? on the phone with Viking Air plus now

31 minutes ago, bafinegan said:

I just checked our return on Delta.  They "changed our our connecting flight to one several hours later.  Reason was because 2.5 hours on the original one wans't long enough and we would miss our connecting flight??? on the phone with Viking Air plus now

If I remember you were returning through JFK.  Connecting with 2.5 hours should be fine but not fine if going through customs.  However, we clear in BDA, so no need to go through customs at JFK.  

Do you clear US Customs in Bermuda?
All passengers travelling to the United States from Bermuda will go through pre-clearance in Bermuda. As a result, passengers will not have to go through immigration once landing in the US and will arrive as if they are travelling on a domestic US flight.
Edited by ohiojohn

Two Reports.

I asked Viking Social (Tellus@Vikinglcom) if there is a place on the Viking website or MVJ that is updated with the latest Bermuda testing required "days in advance" - based on latest Bermuda information and customized for the travel dates.

• I received a call within hours and after discussion, he said "That's a good idea. I'll pass it on."

I sent a similar note to the Corona Virus Hotline (coronavirus@gov.bm). Here is the exchange:

• My question: There are a number of Bermuda web pages that state the number of days in advance a Covid-19 PCR test may be taken in order to qualify for a Bermuda Travel Authorization, but they are inconsistent - and I am not talking about the change that goes into affect after 5 June 2021. Some state three days, or four, or five. Will you please let me know where on the Government of Bermuda website I will be able to obtain the actual current and planned test requirement lead times that will, hopefully, be updated as conditions change? As it is now, I have to hunt around to find the latest update page, and in the back of my mind I am always asking "Is this the right one, the latest?"

• Corona Virus Hotline Email Response: "As of 6th June, all pre-arrival tests must be taken no earlier than 4 days before arrival.  In your case that means arriving on 20th July means testing no earlier than 16th July."

So, for Tuesday Bermuda arrival, the previous Friday is the earliest, as of today...

That is all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, What was that? said:

So, for Tuesday Bermuda arrival, the previous Friday is the earliest, as of today...

That is all.

Thank you for your post and the information back.

Still hoping that on June 6, they might consider making it 5 instead of 4 days.  Having a real problem where we live - no facility will commit to the 1 day turnaround needed and all rapid tests are NAT tests which don't count.

Viking epic fail.  Here is Viking’s long delayed “answers” to my long list of detailed questions.  This is of zero help (except now I know to include our swim fins in the bag we are shipping to Bermuda).  And I would not put any faith in anything said below:

Sorry that we have not been able to get each other on the phone, but here are the answers to the questions you had asked. The earliest you are able to embark on the ship is 9 a.m. but you would not be able to get into the cabin until 11 a.m.

For the Catamaran Rally shore excursion mask and snorkels are provided and fins are not guaranteed. Once you disembark from the cruise there may be taxis waiting outside the customs building. However, the actual taxi pickup/drop off location could be different.

For the most up to date information regarding your other questions you may click the links provided below. As we receive more specific information we will update our website accordingly.

COVID-19 Policies and Procedures

Viking Health and Safety Program

47 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

For the most up to date information regarding your other questions you may click the links provided below. As we receive more specific information we will update our website accordingly.

To Viking's credit, this document replaces one issued on 21 April - only very minor changes.

Edited by What was that?
Corrected spelling

@ohiojohn  Astute of you to catch that we're supposed to pre-clear Customs in Bermuda.  But is it still being offered due to COVID?   I e-mailed the Bermuda Airport Authority earlier to ask if it's open or when they expect it to open.

As for those on Delta, check your reservations again.  They just ran another schedule change.  My 7/20 return got moved back to 7/18 for the second time.  After waiting 4 hours on chat I got it fixed again. 

Airlines typically run schedule changes monthly to avoid driving people to the phones.  Delta for some reason has been running schedules randomly which is creating havoc for them and us. 

Chat is faster to get through than the phones and the people on the other end are surprisingly competent. Go to delta.com/needhelp to start a chat conversation.