Bermuda Escape Cruises - insights, information, and more just on Bermuda

CCWineLover

The incubation period is between 4 and 14 days so it looks like the lady who tested positive contracted the covid sometime before the 4 days pre-arrival PCR test or between that and the arrival test. Where does she come from? A state that has no mask mandate?

Tip for you all future Bermuda Escape cruisers: try to "quarantine" yourselves a week or so before the 4 days pre-arrival PCR test (for Bermuda Gov't) ... keep wearing masks when going to public places (stores, etc) even though there is "no mask mandate" (read: that's when the unvaccinated drop their masks). Avoid parties and functions. When you have taken the 4 days pre-arrival PCR test and it's negative, continue the "quarantine" until you arrive in Bermuda and board the ship. 

That would save you all the heartache, worries, uncertainty.

I was the one who said that masks must be worn in stores, taxis, on buses, etc, here in Bermuda. It's unlikely that the 4 removed their masks while in taxi (not allowed), but these 4 were already comrades and possibly took the masks off for breather at photo stops during the taxi tour therefore they had to leave the ship together.

We're still going on the Orion Aug 3.

We had 5 new cases two days ago - all 5 positive arrival tests - by residents (possibly unvaccinated) - all on Tues June 15, 2 from UK on BA, 2 from New York on Jet Blue and one on AA from Charlotte NC. They're in 14 days Gov't monitored quarantine in their own homes. With monitoring tracking bracelets on!!!

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, MRGACRUZR said:

Just in, per Steve, the Bermuda Government does not allow retesting.

Because the incubation period is 4 to 14 days so no retest until day 14 once you get exposed.

We have had cases:

• neg 4 days pre, positive arrival
  • neg 4 days pre, neg arrival, positive day 4
  • neg 4 days pre, neg arrival, neg day 4, positive day 8
  • neg 4 days pre, neg arrival, neg day 4, neg day 8, positive day 14.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, cadburysmom said:

Did he mention in which hotel he's being quarantined?

Grotto Bay - a nice enough place, but only if you can enjoy the amenities. Steve and Sally are confined to their room.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, MRGACRUZR said:

Just in, per Steve, the Bermuda Government does not allow retesting.

Last Sunday, my son went into the ER, they kept him overnight.  The gold standard  PCR test was given to him as a requirement for his admission.  He tested positive and was put on a Covid floor.  The next day the Hospital drew blood and tested him for antibodies.  The antibody test cleared him from Covid.  So my wife using her nursing background did extensive research on Covid false positives.  I have no beef with anyone going on these Bermuda cruises.  I booked knowing of the restrictions and face mask wearing.  But frankly I was not aware of false positives and the firm 14 day quarantine  by the Bermuda government.  So as others have said they are reviewing their risk tolerance as we are.  However small the odds are of us having a breakthrough case, maybe at this junction other vacation locations in the USA may fit our risk tolerance at this time.  Just our thoughts at this time, as we are reading this thread.

• Like 8

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, ohiojohn said:

Last Sunday, my son went into the ER, they kept him overnight.  The gold standard  PCR test was given to him as a requirement for his admission.  He tested positive and was put on a Covid floor.  The next day the Hospital drew blood and tested him for antibodies.  The antibody test cleared him from Covid.  So my wife using her nursing background did extensive research on Covid false positives.  I have no beef with anyone going on these Bermuda cruises.  I booked knowing of the restrictions and face mask wearing.  But frankly I was not aware of false positives and the firm 14 day quarantine  by the Bermuda government.  So as others have said they are reviewing their risk tolerance as we are.  However small the odds are of us having a breakthrough case, maybe at this junction other vacation locations in the USA may fit our risk tolerance at this time.  Just our thoughts at this time, as we are reading this thread.

Yes, this has made me realize the importance of checking the quarantine requirements of the countries we plan to visit on our cruise next year. If they’re like Bermuda’s, I think we’ll pass.

I hope your son is OK.

Edited by Twitchly
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, ohiojohn said:

Thanks, John.  Yes, we hope that your son is doing OK. 

I, like you, was not aware of the ramifications:   that even if we are personally very careful, take precautions, wear masks, and do everything right, that if by chance someone else who tests positive happened to be near us - then that would cause us as innocent conscientious bystanders, to be quarantined. 

We definitely would not have booked this cruise knowing that.   Probably my bad though for not digging down into the tiny details of this.  I kick myself, as for us on June 29th, it is too late to cancel.   Irony is our insurance would cover our quarantine if WE were the ones who tested positive.  A real penalty for the innocent guilt by being nearby.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

Because the incubation period is 4 to 14 days so no retest until day 14 once you get exposed.

We have had cases:

• neg 4 days pre, positive arrival
  • neg 4 days pre, neg arrival, positive day 4
  • neg 4 days pre, neg arrival, neg day 4, positive day 8
  • neg 4 days pre, neg arrival, neg day 4, neg day 8, positive day 14.

I Guess that means, as far as they are concerned, there are no false positives.

7 minutes ago, MRGACRUZR said:

Steve just posted on his Facebook group that Viking worked with Bermuda to get him and his wife returned to the ship.

Saw that post!  Hope all have learned a lesson and he will lay low for the duration.  The ostentatious “holding court” was over the top to say the least!  I wonder if Viking  will go to bat for anyone else in a similar situation.  I would like to say a precedent has been set.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Azulann said:

Was it a private excursion organized by Viking for the occupants of the owner suite, a mini van with four folks.?

Or an  Viking  excursion in a bus that that others took this week? 

A mini van with 4 passengers- didn’t say if it was arranged for occupants of owners suite

26 minutes ago, MRGACRUZR said:

Steve just posted on his Facebook group that Viking worked with Bermuda to get him and his wife returned to the ship.

Excellent! Well done, Viking!

Did he say if he has to quarantine on the ship, or is he able to move about freely? And can he get off the ship again at all while in Bermuda? 

16 minutes ago, molymoo said:

Saw that post!  Hope all have learned a lesson and he will lay low for the duration.  The ostentatious “holding court” was over the top to say the least!  I wonder if Viking  will go to bat for anyone else in a similar situation.  I would like to say a precedent has been set.

Ha Ha I think you'd probably do the same thing if you had the Owners Suite...  I am pretty sure we would....  

Seems to be a good bloke trying to make the best of a crappy last 15 months?  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Ballerina Sweetie Pie said:

A mini van with 4 passengers- didn’t say if it was arranged for occupants of owners suite

Occupants of the owners suite are entitled to one private excursion. 

Or did this person hire their own private excursion. That would have been really fast. Being outside of Viking Bubble was only  announced on  Monday. 

Are you on the current sailingof the Orion?

5 minutes ago, Twitchly said:

Excellent! Well done, Viking!

Did he say if he has to quarantine on the ship, or is he able to move about freely? And can he get off the ship again at all while in Bermuda? 

He didn’t that I’ve seen. Several folks have asked those questions. 

9 minutes ago, GonzoWCS said:

Ha Ha I think you'd probably do the same thing if you had the Owners Suite...  I am pretty sure we would....  

Right on Gonzo.  I am reading this thread and am simply amazed at the panic and hysteria in some responses.  Doesn't "The Science" say that fully vaccinated people have little to no chance of getting sick with covid and if so just mild to no symptoms?  I am willing to bet no one will die of covid on this Viking voyage.  But then, in our age group, several outraged posters might stand a chance of having a stroke from throwing hissy fits....🍸

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

He didn’t that I’ve seen. Several folks have asked those questions. 

He generally does not answer many questions.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, GonzoWCS said:

With all due respect no I wouldn’t have done anything of the sort in or out of the owners suite … just not in keeping with my anti-social style. 😆

Have followed the “other” site for years and the behavior was pretty much SOP for him.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, molymoo said:

He generally does not answer many questions.  

He is repacking from the unpack from the repack of the unpack.  Might be a bit busy.  Ohh and the bag drags, we have all forgotten how much fun that is.   🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

I for one, hope this blows up in Viking's face.  Not to wish ill-will, but a firestorm may be what it takes to get Viking to tighten up and enforce what they state.  Sadly, in our society, it seems that if you have money and/or are a mover and shaker, rules don't apply.

It would be different if the rule breakers were the ones who get punished, but the issue for those of us coming up is that you can be a complete innocent bystander and get nailed to quarantine.

We are completely stuck - on June 29th cruise and cannot cancel since our "COVID" insurance only covers us if "We" get tested positive, NOT if we are innocent bystanders.   We would cancel if we could and may still do so anyways.  I am appalled at Viking's behavior in this all - but have to think maybe it is a blessing in that it will go up to the Chairman himself and hopefully some needed changes take place.  Those of you who can still cancel are the lucky ones.

For us - it means no Viking Excursions, keep to ourselves, don't meet anyone on the ship, go onshore just with ourselves.  Which is alright - we'll save social interactions for 2022 cruises.

I agree with all your points, Kent. Based on what I'm reading, Viking royally flubbed up. I feel safe with going, but this has tarnished my image of Viking at this point. Hopefully corporate will acknowledge & change their behavior, learning a hard lesson. I'm concerned for the other passengers & crew. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ohiojohn said:

I have experience that 2 friends out of 6 tested positive.  Turned out the 2 positives were false.  I never would have believed it unless it happened to our friends.  Makes you wonder...

5 hours ago, MRGACRUZR said:

It's good you're comfortable with that but, it's only half the story. There's no evidence that they don't pose a risk. This is all so new.  If there was scientific proof that vaccinated people posed no risk, masks and social distancing would be a thing of the past on a ship half full of completely vaccinated people.

I'm here and I purchased a very well advertised and articulated product from Viking. I did not expect to open my Viking box and find a different product. Captain just announced removal of Covid positive passenger.

It's honestly not about being comfortable.  I want to follow the science.  I want to follow the cdc guidelines.  At some point we need to move on and live amongst viruses or just say no to any cruises.  I believe there is some consensus that vaccinated persons who contract covid 19 become less ill and are less likely to transmit - especially to other vaccinated persons.  I thought the whole point in having a cruise with 100 percent vaccinated would be to alleviate some of this constant testing and quarantining.  In the US the cdc guidelines do not have us testing asymptomatic patients and do not recommend quarantining if exposed to someone who is covid positive if you are fully vaccinated.    You only need to test if you have symptoms.  I realize the cruise lines have more stringent guidelines.  This is why I have chosen not to cruise at this time- not because I fear getting sick (I have been vaccinated since January) but because I fear getting unnecessarily tested and or quarantined.

• Like 4