Jump to content

Bermuda Escape Cruises - insights, information, and more just on Bermuda


CCWineLover
 Share

Recommended Posts

56 minutes ago, Azulann said:

Occupants of the owners suite are entitled to one private excursion. 

Or did this person hire their own private excursion. That would have been really fast. Being outside of Viking Bubble was only  announced on  Monday. 

Are you on the current sailingof the Orion?

Nope- just following the developments. We’re booked for Iceland in September 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

FYI, we just got our Bermuda Map from the tourism authority.

It's a beautiful map of the island with places of interest and insets of the cities. It folds up to pocket size. I ordered it about a week ago from their tourism site. (you can also download) The page also has ferry and bus schedules.

Check it out!
https://www.gotobermuda.com/official-visitor-guides

Edited by MarkBearSF
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, shadowlover said:

It's honestly not about being comfortable.  I want to follow the science.  I want to follow the cdc guidelines.  At some point we need to move on and live amongst viruses or just say no to any cruises.  I believe there is some consensus that vaccinated persons who contract covid 19 become less ill and are less likely to transmit - especially to other vaccinated persons.  I thought the whole point in having a cruise with 100 percent vaccinated would be to alleviate some of this constant testing and quarantining.  In the US the cdc guidelines do not have us testing asymptomatic patients and do not recommend quarantining if exposed to someone who is covid positive if you are fully vaccinated.    You only need to test if you have symptoms.  I realize the cruise lines have more stringent guidelines.  This is why I have chosen not to cruise at this time- not because I fear getting sick (I have been vaccinated since January) but because I fear getting unnecessarily tested and or quarantined.

Good Choice. And, it is about choice and your comfort level with the known and unknown science. Because you can be quarantined out of fear rather than known science. I think it will be awhile before the science catches up enough to make concrete decisions. Right now, this is for those confident (comfortable)enough to be guinea pigs. I've said it before, if you have any trepidations, don't come. You won't be able to enjoy it. So far, so good. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, MarkBearSF said:

FYI, we just got our Bermuda Map from the tourism authority.

It's a beautiful map of the island with places of interest and insets of the cities. It folds up to pocket size. I ordered it about a week ago from their tourism site. (you can also download) The page also has ferry and bus schedules.

Check it out!
https://www.gotobermuda.com/official-visitor-guides

Viking used to offer a full day bus pass as one of the included tours. It's an excellent system and nothing like your typical big city bus systems. The bus terminal is a couple of blocks from the Hamilton pier. Easy. Now that venturing out on your own is allowed, the May offer the bus pass again.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Right on Gonzo.  I am reading this thread and am simply amazed at the panic and hysteria in some responses.  Doesn't "The Science" say that fully vaccinated people have little to no chance of getting sick with covid and if so just mild to no symptoms?  I am willing to bet no one will die of covid on this Viking voyage.  But then, in our age group, several outraged posters might stand a chance of having a stroke from throwing hissy fits....🍸


actually my Hysteria comes from a false positive with no retest and confined to Bermudas quarantine requirements.  This has nothing to do about getting COVID or any lapse in Vikings safety net.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Someone from Viking Customer Service called me.  They don't have a complete picture of what happened onboard but are investigating.  When I mentioned someone being COVID positive the person seemed to be taken aback.  I don't know if it's because he didn't know or was surprised I did. I mentioned what @Hockeyump said about it being pointless to separate people all over the ship if you're going to let people unknown to each other gather in large groups.  He saw the conflict. 

 

I got the sense that whatever happened won't be allowed to happen again.  Viking certainly doesn't owe me, one person, an explanation.  My concern was them not taking their own protocols seriously or applying them consistently.  After speaking to them I don't thank that will be an issue going forward. 

 

@Jim Avery Let's see how you'd react if it were you stranded in Bermuda for 14 days at your own expense. If it's no big deal to you because you have the time and money then bully for you. I work so it is a big deal to me.

 

My (strong) reaction through all of this hasn't been about someone testing positive.  You spin the wheel and take your chances.  My concern was Viking's seeming disregard for their own heavily promoted and explicitly detailed COVID protocols. Unlike many of you I'm not a Viking loyalist and their protocols are the only reason I booked with them. 

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, bbtondo said:

I have experience that 2 friends out of 6 tested positive.  Turned out the 2 positives were false.  I never would have believed it unless it happened to our friends.  Makes you wonder...


I am with you on this, I would not have believed it myself.  I also have a brother who tested positive on the CVS rapid test only then to have the PCR test clear him.  He also had Covid and had the vaccination.  
So I now have 2 brothers taking Covid tests and the tests getting it wrong.

you would think I should feel lucky,   what is the probability 3 out of 5 brothers experiencing incorrect test results, me being the third.

Edited by ohiojohn
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, B_A_H said:

 

 

@Jim Avery Let's see how you'd react if it were you stranded in Bermuda for 14 days at your own expense. If it's no big deal to you because you have the time and money then bully for you. I work so it is a big deal to me.

 

My (strong) reaction through all of this hasn't been about someone testing positive.  You spin the wheel and take your chances.  My concern was Viking's seeming disregard for their own heavily promoted and explicitly detailed COVID protocols. Unlike many of you I'm not a Viking loyalist and their protocols are the only reason I booked with them. 

You really have missed my point.  I have many times said the massive testing is a waste.  Testing tells how you were not necessarily how you are.  And a 14 day quarantine is a bureaucratic absurdity.  Cruises should, if they deem it appropriate, require vaccination.  Then if anyone becomes ill quarantine them onboard for covid, the flu, noro, or any other communicable disease.  And masks are rather ineffective against aerosols.  I believe even Fauci calls covid an aerosol virus.  Finally, and then I am done with this way overdone subject, if anything about what ships are doing bother you stay home!  Or at least go somewhere that suits you better.  B-A-H I am really sorry about that work thing you keep mentioning.  It is an affliction I had too.  Managed to mostly get over it..🍸

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not that I'm glad this happened, but I knew it was an eventuality.  This is one of the purposes for these initial "Welcome Back" cruises, to test protocols for those "what if" situations.  There are/will be bumps during these early cruises ( I'd be very surprised if there weren't ).  Viking and Bermuda can see what works and more importantly what doesn't.  Then can the needed changes be made.  ANd it would behoove us to remember, no one can possibly make policies to cover every scenario.

 

This also allows us to make a decision:  are the stresses associated with these cruises/testing of protocols too much for me as an individual?  Am I in a position to "go with the flow", no matter what is changed at the last minute?  For me, yes.  I am confident in the vaccines efficacy and Viking's/Bermuda's ability to handle this very fluid situation.  Others may not be so confident.  But this anger does no one any good.  Make what ever decision is good for you.  But please, hysterics are not warranted nor needed.

 

Just my 2 cents.  Looking forward to cruising with other like minded people!😉😁

 

baf

  • Like 12
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, MRGACRUZR said:

Steve just posted on his Facebook group that Viking worked with Bermuda to get him and his wife returned to the ship.

So the others from the shore excursion are quarantined in a hotel, correct?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, ohiojohn said:


I am with you on this, I would not have believed it myself.  I also have a brother who tested positive on the CVS rapid test only then to have the PCR test clear him.  He also had Covid and had the vaccination.  
So I now have 2 brothers taking Covid tests and the tests getting it wrong.

you would think I should feel lucky,   what is the probability 3 out of 5 brothers experiencing incorrect test results, me being the third.

DH and I are vaccinated.  I am not concerned about getting covid.  I'm not concerned to be around unvaccinated people.  I am more concerned about testing false positive and wrecking my vacation for no reason!  

 

I am so in agreement with you!  What happened to your brothers and to my 2 friends make it seem that these tests aren't as accurate a lot more than "they" are saying.   If anyone is interested, google "Curative Covid Test

 

I don't think they should be testing vaccinated people to go on a cruise, plane, etc.  That's just my opinion of course!

Edited by bbtondo
  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, syesmar said:

So the others from the shore excursion are quarantined in a hotel, correct?

The woman who tested Covid + and her companion- yes are quarantined on shore

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, bbtondo said:

I am so in agreement with you!  What happened to your brothers and to my 2 friends make it seem that these tests aren't as accurate a lot more than "they" are saying.   If anyone is interested, google "Curative Covid Test

 

I don't think they should be testing vaccinated people to go on a cruise, plane, etc.  That's just my opinion of course!

Well stated, bbtondo!  I totally agree.  Our biggest stress in all this is really that we can be singled out, quarantined, and taken off the ship from this massive daily test via a false positive - which is just ludicrous.   Also - to have to quarantine by bad luck of being near someone who later tests positive is stupid - but like someone earlier said, countries like Bermuda are operating in total fear mode, not science mode.

What this will do is make people on Viking abandon Viking Excursions and go out on their own, where you don't encounter anyone with that Viking contract tracer on them.  Also you'll distance yourselves from anyone onboard ship - just to make sure you aren't somehow going to get nailed - just for being vaccinated, careful, and following all the rules.

Wish we could cancel, but it is what it is.  Hopefully Viking (and Bermuda) figure this out and issue some sort of statements.  I've got to believe the Chairman has heard the news by now.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, CCWineLover said:

Well stated, bbtondo!  I totally agree.  Our biggest stress in all this is really that we can be singled out, quarantined, and taken off the ship from this massive daily test via a false positive - which is just ludicrous.   Also - to have to quarantine by bad luck of being near someone who later tests positive is stupid - but like someone earlier said, countries like Bermuda are operating in total fear mode, not science mode.

What this will do is make people on Viking abandon Viking Excursions and go out on their own, where you don't encounter anyone with that Viking contract tracer on them.  Also you'll distance yourselves from anyone onboard ship - just to make sure you aren't somehow going to get nailed - just for being vaccinated, careful, and following all the rules.

Wish we could cancel, but it is what it is.  Hopefully Viking (and Bermuda) figure this out and issue some sort of statements.  I've got to believe the Chairman has heard the news by now.


it gets worse, ask your insurance broker this specific question “ Does my policy cover all my 12 days of Quarantine expense at a Hotel/Resort which is dictated by the Bermuda government” .  Not 12 days in a hospital but 12 days at a Hotel/Resort. Then ask how many days of coverage do I have after my cruise is over, which is referred to as continuation of coverage.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, GonzoWCS said:

What party?

It appears that the organiser/moderator of a group on another nameless platform, arranged for a get-together of several members of the group in the main dining room. A sort of "Meet & Mingle" but in the restaurant rather than in a stand-up communal area. It was reported elsewhere that around 35 people attended. The group appear to have been accommodated on several tables of 6 on the evidence of pics uploaded by the organiser.

There is no information available to confirm or refute whether the person who tested positive was an attendee at this "party"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, ohiojohn said:


it gets worse, ask your insurance broker this specific question “ Does my policy cover all my 12 days of Quarantine expense at a Hotel/Resort which is dictated by the Bermuda government” .  Not 12 days in a hospital but 12 days at a Hotel/Resort. Then ask how many days of coverage do I have after my cruise is over, which is referred to as continuation of coverage.

 

Having used travel insurance numerous times, I know what I need to be covered.  Yes, mine does. I have it in writing on the cover letter.  If the covered situation continues after the cruise/vacation, coverage will be continued up to the coverage limits.  Insurance 101.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, bafinegan said:

Having used travel insurance numerous times, I know what I need to be covered.  Yes, mine does. I have it in writing on the cover letter.  If the covered situation continues after the cruise/vacation, coverage will be continued up to the coverage limits.  Insurance 101.

 

Is that Allianz Insurance?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, arlowood said:

It appears that the organiser/moderator of a group on another nameless platform, arranged for a get-together of several members of the group in the main dining room. A sort of "Meet & Mingle" but in the restaurant rather than in a stand-up communal area. It was reported elsewhere that around 35 people attended. The group appear to have been accommodated on several tables of 6 on the evidence of pics uploaded by the organiser.

There is no information available to confirm or refute whether the person who tested positive was an attendee at this "party"

Ahh copy that

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: Virgin Voyages. It's Go Time
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...